What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preseason game against Warriors

Vic Mackey

Referee
The trail was messy and disappointing, however losing that by 30 would mean no more than winning it by 30. In 2005 we got belted in both our trials, I was at them both, including by the raiders who came 15th whilst we won the comp.

How we are going to play was on show with a huge amount of forward passing, offloads and wrap around plays. There was not a single block play all night. This is a total removal from how we have played the last 10 years, if anyone thinks it’s going to come together in the first 80 mins you have rocks on your head.

We made a heap of handling errors through pushing passes/offloads, the penalty count at one stage was 6-1. We were on the back foot for seemingly the whole game. Our defence was poor due to being put under pressure from the mistakes in attack, which were caused by the new systems.

Our halves were a Union convert and a guy who literally met everyone 9 days ago. We had 3 guys playing their first game back from ACLs. There were only 3 or 4 guys who are a chance of being in our round 1 side.

Stefano and Pole were our best 2 by a mile and they’ll both be there round 1. I thought Simpkins looked dangerous out of Dummyhalf. Staines was heavily involved but never really looked like doing anything.

Matamua will make a heap of mistakes but then come up with plays like the offload for the first try. He’s 19 and the way he plays will bring a errors, you just gotta put up with it early.

Well done to the Warriors. They played with Great shape, all their backline are NRL players and you could tell the difference. I hope Webster has a good year with them.

WA Tiger

Bench
The trail was messy and disappointing, however losing that by 30 would mean no more than winning it by 30. In 2005 we got belted in both our trials, I was at them both, including by the raiders who came 15th whilst we won the comp.

How we are going to play was on show with a huge amount of forward passing, offloads and wrap around plays. There was not a single block play all night. This is a total removal from how we have played the last 10 years, if anyone thinks it’s going to come together in the first 80 mins you have rocks on your head.

We made a heap of handling errors through pushing passes/offloads, the penalty count at one stage was 6-1. We were on the back foot for seemingly the whole game. Our defence was poor due to being put under pressure from the mistakes in attack, which were caused by the new systems.

Our halves were a Union convert and a guy who literally met everyone 9 days ago. We had 3 guys playing their first game back from ACLs. There were only 3 or 4 guys who are a chance of being in our round 1 side.

Stefano and Pole were our best 2 by a mile and they’ll both be there round 1. I thought Simpkins looked dangerous out of Dummyhalf. Staines was heavily involved but never really looked like doing anything.

Matamua will make a heap of mistakes but then come up with plays like the offload for the first try. He’s 19 and the way he plays will bring a errors, you just gotta put up with it early.

Well done to the Warriors. They played with Great shape, all their backline are NRL players and you could tell the difference. I hope Webster has a good year with them.
What’s a block play Vic? Disregard Ive got it

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I disagree it’s no indicator.
Last years trials indicated we had no depth and soon as the injuries mounted, we sunk like a stone.
The only guys who stood up tonight, are already in our top 17.
I’ll tell you now, if any of our halves or a couple of our centres go down long term, we are gone.
If Api doesn’t play for extended periods, we are gone.
You could be right. But your still reaching..

Blues Riff

Bench
Why, do you think we looked strong? At least bring some logic!
No I don't. I think you looked more disorganised than ever.
The new Warriors coach is Andrew Webster is it not?
He was an assistant at Penrith as far as I know. He was obviously looking for a new challenge and took on the Warriors job.
I'm just wondering if he was considered for the WT job or if he even applied. I know Sheens was obsessed with CC at the time.
He seems to have the Warriors humming along.
What don't you get?

Vic Mackey

Referee
He was an assistant at Penrith as far as I know. He was obviously looking for a new challenge and took on the Warriors job.
I'm just wondering if he was considered for the WT job or if he even applied. I know Sheens was obsessed with CC at the time.
What don't you get?

we won our first trial under Madge by 50, how did that work out?

WA Tiger

Bench
What don't you get?
Again, Humming against quality opposition? No ..I don’t think he was considered. That doesn’t imply any obsession elsewhere. You may want to draw conclusions of websters potential top tier coaching status from 1/ that game and from 2/being assistant coach at Penrith and how we missed out, but that’s now 2 instances of your lack of logic, or is that 3..and don’t tell me you dropped in for a friendly chat.

Last edited:

Blues Riff

Bench
There were a few applicants apparently. I merely wondered if he was one. I'm not implying anything. It's the only footy on at the moment. No need to carry on.

I’ve read some wraps for the Manly import and of course Stef.

Stef seems like he’s been overlooked in discussion about the pack, but some are saying he played himself into the starting side last night.

If there’s issues with any of the kids, we want to find out now and not in Round 12.

If anybody thinks Dane would have stopped Marcelo in the corner let me know. I doubt it.

Warriors were very well prepared last night. Hats off to their coaching staff, brilliant job.

The shots I saw of Tim, he looked focused on the play as it unravelled, not too perturbed.

@Vic Mackey might agree with me that these things are learning exercises, you can get a lot out of them if you use them in a constructive way.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
I’ve read some wraps for the Manly import and of course Stef.

Stef seems like he’s been overlooked in discussion about the pack, but some are saying he played himself into the starting side last night.

If there’s issues with any of the kids, we want to find out now and not in Round 12.

If anybody thinks Dane would have stopped Marcelo in the corner let me know. I doubt it.

Warriors were very well prepared last night. Hats off to their coaching staff, brilliant job.

The shots I saw of Tim, he looked focused on the play as it unravelled, not too perturbed.

@Vic Mackey might agree with me that these things are learning exercises, you can get a lot out of them if you use them in a constructive way.
Agree, I haven’t commented, because I haven’t seen the game, but the team that played was not our first grade side, an old saying, “it’s only a trial if you lose” and we lost..a trial game.

Pugzley

If the Warriors put 50 on you, does that mean you guys are off finals contention before the real season started?

Agree, I haven’t commented, because I haven’t seen the game, but the team that played was not our first grade side, an old saying, “it’s only a trial if you lose” and we lost..a trial game.
There’s some interviews on official that give you a players perspective. Our kid middles came in for a serve.

But as we know, very few of them are expected to actually to play first grade at any stage this year.

No excuses for the hiding but maybe a factor.

The Warriors team mix was more powerful and well coached.

But if the intention of the trial was to gather insight about deficiencies, risks, abilities etc of the junior fringe playing group we got more out of it.

And more a lot options in responding than the warriors.

My only concern was injuries.

I expected more, but I’m not about to crucify anyone. I’m not a Tim fan, but I’m not going to hold him accountable or responsible for this outing. One has to be reasonable.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Watching the Tigers sheds at half time it looked like Sheens was mentoring Benji and Robbie as to who to talk to and what about. Definitely value in lessons being passed on before the season proper starts. It looked to me that there was a great deal of mutual respect between the three of them.

Latest posts