What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pretty jealous of Union right now

jim_57

Staff member
The difference of names already happens with some things within the game i.e. Halfback/Scrum Half, Stand Off/Five-Eighth etc, sure there are some others I can't think of. I'm sure having different nicknames relating to the locality wouldn't really matter to anyone except some up tight traditionalists who probably wouldn't know about it anyway.

deluded pom?

Coach
Ok, and how many everday people know soccer is a namer derived from association? The point is association football has multiple names, and it doesnt matter, because people arent attracted to a sport based off of its universal name. So call rugby league what you like, just get people interested in it.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that football is football (or soccer if you are American) everywhere except Italy.

People saying that 7s is like T20 crikeet are wrong. T20 still is 11 a side, and many of the best Test players also play T20. 7s is Mickey Mouse, and is there for people who can't get a game in 15s. Can you imagine ppl in developing rugby countries/states brought up playing 7s, then all of a sudden at a certain age goin to play 15s! They'll be sayin to themselves, what the frank is this shyte.

It's very difficult for RU to fail, but they are making a mistake in pushing 7s as much as this. It's a totally different sport.

Knownothing

Juniors
A number of All Blacks over the years have started their representative career in Sevens. The best being Jonah Lomu and Christian Cullen.

SBW was in the NZ Sevens squad for the current Olympics. Did his Achilles, and is out for 6 months.

Jarryd Hayne was pretty keen to get a run, too. The current Wallabies five-eighth Bernard Foley started in Sevens.

It is certainly not a zero sum situation. Sevens does not seem to have grown up until now at the expense of the rest of the code, if anything, it seems to me to be an additional opportunity for players, sponsors, broadcasters and spectators.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The Rugby Union were smart enough to realise this was a great way to grow their sport in minor countries, and as a flow on funding. Cricket will do the same with 20/20.

Rugby League in the mean time will spend it's time pandering to self important Australian coaches, over analysing ref decisions and go nowhere in the next 10 years.

taipan

Referee
Why not call it Raiderball ,that conjures up attack and defence,and separates the code from rugby union.

expansionist

Juniors
I am happy to admit I am jealous of union.

I also consider union evil, but I for one am so jealous of their ability to think about growing their game; jealous of their sponsor pool; their long term vision; the way they package their product - i could go on and on.

The Olympics hurts me actually - its a substandard product being sold to a larger market.

Oh and for what its worth I detest their appropriation of the word 'rugby'.

taipan

Referee
Awesome. The Yanks would love that.

So would the Pom commentary team - who for some reason call any play involving multiple passes or a line break a "power play". Never got that.

Trouble is if a player is constantly missing tackles ,it would be called pussy play.

Awesome. The Yanks would love that.

So would the Pom commentary team - who for some reason call any play involving multiple passes or a line break a "power play". Never got that.

No, Mike Stephenson calls running or passing on the last tackle a "power play". Ok.

And ppl, stop watching the NFL, especially Phil Gould. Am. Football will not be in existence in the fairly near future. They have coached using their heads to tackle and as an offensive weapon, I think their long term vision is to produce a hybrid form of rugby, as a wise old guy said in Rugby World magazine a few wks ago. Yep I read R.World now and again. Watch some RU instead of American sports.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Why not just 'League'?

In NZ it's always been called League, in Oz most people I speak with call it footy or League.

Misspell League to make it clear that it is not just a competition like the hundred other leagues and it would probably work.

A totally invented word is much easier to copyright (its why FFA picked a name as shitty as Socceroos)

Latest posts