What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private v public schools

phantom eel

First Grade
No. But people who have chosen private for their kids will likely try and tell you it does (c.f. cognitive dissonance).

I'd rather save the exorbitant amount of cash involved and put it toward something else more beneficial (e.g. a house deposit for the kid when they're 18).

Misanthrope

Staff member
I definitely noticed a higher standard of facilities between my Catholic School in Mudgee and my public school in Glen Innes, but couldn't attest to the quality of education or even whether that's just a difference between regions.

I'm not an advocate of them, but in some areas (Glen Innes) for example, they're much nicer, less bogan schools than the public ones.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
The main difference could well be the behaviour of the kids and the expectations of the parents moreso than the school itself.

Misanthrope

Staff member
90% of parents need to take more of an active involvement in their kids' lives. My mother taught kindergarten for thirty years and she said by the time she finished up, 9 out of 10 kids came on day 1 not knowing how to write their name.

Compare that with when she started and most kids could do it, and you start to worry that maybe there's a problem that's bigger than the teaching system.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
I attended a public school and now I'm a non-teaching staff member at a private school.
If you are wealthy, I'd certainly recommend a private school for your little ones.
The behavior of the kids in private school is a lot better (from my experience)

whall15

Coach
For starters, kids that go through the public system do way better at university than those who went to private schools with the equivalent atar.

I'm personally opposed to all private schools and believe they should be nationalised.

Finland nationalised their private schools and it has been highly successful. It forces the well-off to contribute to the public school system because their own kids will be a part of it and additionally it allows for a co-ordinated national curriculum, again like Finland which has been highly successful.

It would also pave the way to remove all religion from schools.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Does it make a difference?

It's all up to the kid in my opinion. Everyone is different and different environments will effect them in different ways. I've known some people in private schools who flunk it, yet people in public schools who do very well... it depends on how the kid and the school go hand in hand, it's not like one is more superior than the other.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Damn BF, i agree with you. I would have been a f**k up no matter where i was schooled.

One thing i can attest is that behavior boarding school is a lot worse than both. I left in year 4, i was top of the year in school, just dominated everything, then i got bored and mucked up when i had nothing to do, and nothing that challenged me. Which was often. Got sent to boarding school for a year, and that taught me the way to get ahead is to beat the shit out of the loudest mouth at the school, and the crazier you were the more the other students respected you. It was more than a bit f**ked up.

Of course the lessons learned at that shit hole carried on through the rest of primary and most of high school. Even still i have to fight not to stand over merkins.

Don't send your kids to boarding school folks.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
For starters, kids that go through the public system do way better at university than those who went to private schools with the equivalent atar.

I'm personally opposed to all private schools and believe they should be nationalised.

Finland nationalised their private schools and it has been highly successful. It forces the well-off to contribute to the public school system because their own kids will be a part of it and additionally it allows for a co-ordinated national curriculum, again like Finland which has been highly successful.

It would also pave the way to remove all religion from schools.

Completely agree, was simply pointing out the idea that the parents of kids being sent to private schools demand better behaviour as a generalisation

Bazal

Post Whore
I was a shit student, but I was much better at private school than public. Public schools never gave much of a shit about the students in.my experience

Bulldog Force

Referee
Public Schools have one thing over private though - bureaucracy. They must cater for all kinds of students without discrimination, and that includes special needs students. A lot of private schools won't be able to accommodate that.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Agreed Eelementary.

IMO, if you choose public school over private, you're a bad parent.

Can't afford it? Well, you shouldn't have had kids in the first place.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
it's not the quality of school you send to (eg public vs private) it's the quality of teacher that makes a difference.

of course, the idea of private paying more, thereby attracting a higher calibre of teacher may come into it, but there are some damn good public teachers.

papabear

Juniors
I went to a selective school from years 7-10 and a CAS private school for 11-12.

Suffice to say the comments on this thread are amusing to say the least.

roc107

Juniors
Private schools are better if you're religious, rich, or your kid gets a scholarship. If you don't fit into that, then public school is great. It really just depends on the kid.