What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PVP Round 1 (2004): Raiders v Panthers

Anonymous

Juniors
Possibles v Probables Tournament 2004

Canberra Raiders v Penrith Panthers

Game Thread
Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
Any other posts will result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
Only original essays, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

For more information about the PVP tournament, participants are advised to check out this link: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/pvp.asp at the Forum 7s website.

Full Time: Wednesday November 17th 9:00PM AEDT (Sydney time)

Venue: Bruce Stadium
ground_bruce_1.jpg

Crowd: 18,360
REFEREE: Gorilla

**Referee Blows Game On!**

Raider_69

Post Whore
Good luck to the panthers, look forward to a tough encounter andgod willing a win to kick off the raiders 7's team, also like to remind raiders players under no circumstances do you post in this thread unless it is to post your essay

nrl-canberra.gif

Raiders Team

[3] IBG
[20] Edabomb
12] Kris Man
[4] SOULS 04
[7] Chippo Raiders

Bench:
[9] Raider_69 (c)
[17] MILLWALL

edabomb

First Grade
20.edabomb for Canberra

Preseason Predicament

As the 2004 concludes fans are once again left to ponder the entertainment value of rugby league in the modern day. Gone are the days when seven or eight teams could contend for the premiership, now it is more realistic for three or four sides to realistically aim for the title. Remember the golden days of February when the rugby league season used to begin?

The year was 1994; the team was the excitement machine known as South Sydney. While this team was never a realistic premiership threat they played a brand of footy that entertained all before them. With Craig Field and ‘Tricky’ Trindall running the team from half they were seen as the up and comers of the league, not a legitimate top five side but one that could contend for a playoff spot over the next two or three years. The Toohey’s Challenge was the event, preseason trials masquerading as the weekday knockout tournament. It was a chance for the fans to attend trials knowing certain teams were playing for results, a far cry from today’s trial matches. South Sydney made it through the rounds and then upset Brisbane in the final. A fine achievement by a young side against the star studded Broncos side. As a neutral fan and keen league historian it was excellent to see a foundation club such as Souths pick up a trophy. An event like this made South Sydney fans premiership drought seem a tad more bearable, it filled a team with enthusiasm and optimism going into the new season. A feeling that modern day NRL lacks.

While it’s obvious there are wider aims in the preseason schedule of sides than to win trial matches, I believe the reintroduction of a preseason tournament could help with rugby leagues popularity at the grass roots. The league could split up into four groups and head off to play a few games in various Australian locations. It would be a good way to introduce the game to the next generation, without executives having to worry about the finances, as trials do not generally attract a large crowd. While trials are currently played outside of the major centres, these games tend to lack the intensity of an NRL game, and the crowd figures reflect this. Bringing the idea of competition back into the preseason could only be a good thing in this regard.

NRL clubs may protest that this will only add length onto an already packed schedule. Maybe an alternative to this could be to rest potential representative players from the matches. There is nothing wrong with having a few inexperienced players in sides, as long as there is still enough NRL talent between the teams for casual fans to identify with. Realistically, a tournament such as this would require two or three weeks out of a clubs preseason routine. If pools were to base their campaign at one ground, however, it could also double as a camp for the sides. The best way to play the tournament would be straight knock out, starting with fifteen teams and giving the previous years winner (or for the inaugural season, previous seasons NRL winner) the bye. This would ensure sides that take the event seriously would have a good chance at progressing the furthest.

With all the negative press the NRL has received recently bringing back a tournament like this could bring a better start to the season than we’ve had the past two years. Although the sevens has failed to capture the excitement it once held, a properly planned a knockout tournament could see good results in my view. This means the NRL would need a solid business plan, and not put the event together in a short period of time as the sevens were in 2003. With exciting teams like the Cowboys, Warriors, Knights, Bulldogs and Sea Eagles riddled through the competition this event could be just what we need to move into the new season with enthusiasm and optimism.

The Toohey’s Challenge used to begin the season with a bang. In the scheme of things it was a minor detail, but it gave a lot of enjoyment to the fans. The NRL owes it to those of us who have stayed loyal over the past ten years to consider the reintroduction of this competition. While it may seem of little significance to many fans, a few of us still dream of seeing another South Sydney like underdog victory.

747 words, including title

LeagueNut

First Grade
Panthers Team
1. LeagueNut (capt)
2. Somethingwithjohn
3. Pantherz9103
4. GoTheBears
5. Maelgwnau (v-capt)

6. Big Pete
7. BrentWebbsNo1Fan

Good luck to all! LET'S GO PANTHERS!!

SOULS 04

Juniors
1981 Newtown’s last shot
By Michael Stevenson (SOULS 04)
The Newtown Bluebags turned Jets were always known as the working mans team. Passionate Australian’s who worked hard for a modest wage all week and turned up to watch the rugby league on the weekends. These were the kind of people who supported the blue and white of the Newtown Jets. A team that from 1908-1982 played in the top grade of the New South Wales Rugby League and in 1983 they were gone, suspended from the New South Wales Rugby League and would never return.

The last decade had been a struggle for the Jets from 1970-79 they had a whole list of financial problems due to changes in the Newtown area and soaring administration costs.

With new players involved in the late 70’s Newtown went from the wooden spoon in 1979 to just missing the playoffs in 1980. 1981 rolled around and this is where this story of the Mighty Newtown Jets really begins.

After their huge improvement in 1980 Newtown fans would get very excited about season 1981 and with good reason. They charged into the finals winning their last three rounds of the competition and taking second spot at the end of the regular season 2 points behind the minor premiers Eastern Suburbs Roosters and 1 point ahead of the Parramatta Eels.

The first weekend of the semi finals Newtown were involved in an intense struggle against the Parramatta side. They lost the game 10-8 and every game from this point would now be for their survival in the 1981 Competition.

The next game was against a very flashy Manly Warringah side and in the first 5 minutes of the game a scrum packed and the exploded into a massive brawl. The result of this brawl was Newtown’s Steve Bowden and Manly Warringah’s Terry Randall would both be sent from the field. Newtown took a 16-0 lead before a Manly fight back. Newtown held on to win 20-15 and now would have to play Eastern Suburbs for a chance to play Parramatta in the Grand Final of 1981.

Tries to John ‘Chicka’ Ferguson, Phil Gould, Ray Blacklock and a strong all round game from the Newtown team saw them win the game 15-5 sending Eastern Suburbs out of the competition. They now had the chance to avenge their defeat against Parramatta 2 weeks before when it mattered in the 1981 Grand Final.

In the final fifteen minutes of the game the 1981 NSWRL Premiership was in the balance with Newtown leading on 11 points to Parramatta’s 7. Unfortunately for the Jets the Parramatta side came home stronger and took away Newtown’s last chance at a premiership.

In the official record The Parramatta Eels were the premiers winning the Grand Final against a gallant Newtown Jets 20 Points to 11.

Now I’m curious to know how the game would have run had the Newtown players and fans known that this was their last chance for a premiership in the Newtown Jersey. Would they have been able to hold Parramatta out for those last 15 minutes if they had known it was the last time Newtown would compete for an NSWRL Premiership or come up with a magic try or two of their own knowing that they would be some of the most important tries in the Newtown Jets history that was soon to end. I guess its something that we will never know.

In 1982 The Newtown Jets won the mid week knock out comp but it would never be the same as the premiership that they just missed out on in 1981.

Even though I myself was never a Newtown fan as I was only born in 1981, I understand the hatred of Parramatta who took their last shot away and I understand how much it would hurt the day a team with such a proud history was suspended from the NSWRL.

South Sydney was out for a short time but made a comeback. Sadly I don’t believe the once great Newtown Jets will ever be back on the main stage of the NRL.

Even though I was never a fan I still have a Newtown Jets flag hanging in my room. It’s a symbol of the great history of rugby league and of the foundation club Newtown.

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
Personified Challenges...... By Chippo Raiders

The top 100 sportsmen and women all have a success story, not so much about their reach to stardom but the obstacles in the way, some mental, some physical.

Often we "mere mortals" think to ourselves how we can reach the pinnacle of sporting greatness, to have my picture on the RLW poster or my story done by David Middleton. It is a fantasy for us, we look at our lives everyday, 10am, 2pm appointments, having to sit in traffic on the way to and from work, and having our homework due tomorrow and it hasn't been started. For most of us on this forum in general, we are expressing just that, our desires to have our voices heard, even if it's only by others literally in the same boat. What is missing from our lives to go that extra step, is it a passion to be the best, is it our failure to be brave enough to succeed, or maybe we need real low points in our life to grow from.

Most Rugby League players running around have a turmoil story, the winning against the odds story, that if said rarely enough, creates a warm emotive feeling of that person, the feeling that this person was like us, full of difficult challenges and put downs that made life seem like a cold place to live and breathe. But in the times of criticism of overplaying these stories and the off field criticism Rugby League has had to endure and submit to doesn't show us what these players have gone through to make it so far. So what does that mean for us? Do we honour these people as if they aren't human or do we hang onto the fact that they too were born from very normal mothers, they too attended kindergarten, and they too fell and skinned their knees running?

The world of a Rugby League player is vastly different to our own, we work in the hope we see the weekend because we have tickets to see the Panthers v Storm game on Saturday night. Rugby League players train 3 times a week, three hours a day to play on Saturday night because it pays the bills. A Rugby League player is mopped by paparazzi and media, which in sections is cruelly biased and has not one drop of sympathy or empathy. Rugby League to the untrained eye is just simple trials to play a sport merely for our entertainment. So it is often prominent that a player would have baggage as he enters top flight football. A champion isn't born a champion so even our greatest representations of Rugby League are little more than good solid entertainment for us and strong ambassadors for those who follow their footsteps.

So the point is, again where does our path lie? Do we have a lack of personal attacks in our life to fight them away and become better for it? A footballer that is told you are too small, fragile etc, turns back around and claims a seat on the plane of immortality is a story we as followers of the sport can take with us and use that as our motivation, it may not mean we use it to enhance our Rugby League career but to enhance respect and ability in our own walks of life, does it matter if we are using a sportsman, that in the overall scheme of things really is only a guy who was better at kicking an oval shaped ball further or more accurate or could tackle someone harder?

In the end the skills of the game do not matter, what if there is a young 13-14 year old trying ecstasy and cocaine, can these players be used as a motivation that hard work can reap good rewards? Maybe sometimes they can tell us hard work doesn't solve everything. Darren Senter has worked hard his entire career but nothing in the way of finals have come his way, but he gets friendship and the priceless ability to be someone's role model and the ability to say he got what he wanted in one form or another.

The story of the life of Rugby League and sport in general is that it can make lives better in ways indirectly linked to the sport itself. So when you see your children kicking the ball attempting the banana kick its just League telling them hard work really can work.

WC- 750

pantherz9103

First Grade
3. Pantherz 9103 for Panthers

BROWN AND WHITE ARE ALLRIGHT

Foreword: As I sit at my laptop on this balmy November night, I also make my debut as a Forum Sevens poster. We’ve all got stories to tell about how we became followers of the greatest game of all. I’d like to tell you just a little bit about how I came to support my team, The Penrith Panthers.

As a Year 1 student back in 1988, I had never even heard of Rugby League. One day I was talking to some kids in my public school’s vast concrete playground, and they were swapping bubblegum cards.

“What have you got there?” I asked curiously.
“They’re footy cards. Here look I’ve got Cliffy Lyons.” The boy replied
“Who is Cliffy Lyons?” I inquired.
“He plays for Manly in the Winfield Cup. He’s one of the best Rugby League players. Haven’t you heard of him? Here have a look at some cards.”

I shuffled through the cards. There were so many different players, so many different emblems. It was all very new to me, but I was impressed.

Who do you go for? I go for the Manly Sea Eagles. They are reigning premiers of the Winfield Cup.” The boy boasted proudly.

“I don’t go for anybody. I haven’t seen a game yet.” I replied, looking slightly dumbfounded

“Why don’t you watch Channel Ten on Sunday Night? You can catch the State Bank Big Game and see what it’s all about.”

Unfortunately I missed the State Bank Big Game, but I caught the Ten Sports News. I saw the names of some of the teams I’d been told about, the Manly Sea Eagles, the Canterbury Bulldogs, the Parramatta Eels, the Balmain Tigers, but I just didn’t feel like I could adopt them as my team. Then I saw a team that no one had mentioned. They wore brown and white and their name sounded funny to me, the Penrith Panthers. They had just been defeated by the Eastern Suburbs Roosters 34 points to 12. The match reporter described them in most unflattering terms, calling them the Chocolate Soldiers and referring to their tendency to self destruct in matches with ‘panic football’.

You might have thought that this would have turned a 7 year old off, but strangely enough I took sides with them. They may not have been everyone’s favourite team, but they were still doing quite well, just outside the top five and I thought they might be on the brink of something special.

The next week I told the Manly supporter the answer he had been waiting to hear.

“I found a team to support. I am a Penrith Panthers supporter.”
“Penrith!” he smirked. “They wear brown and white and they’re losers. Why would you want to support them?

Comments like that of the Manly supporters’ were exactly why I wanted to support the Panthers. Not that I was doing it out of rebellion, but I just wanted to support a team for my own reasons, not because someone else supported them, or because they always won.

The children of Castle Hill back in the 1980’s were a fairly predictable bunch at large. These were the days when Canterbury and Parramatta dominated the Sydney Premiership, with 8 titles between them. They were the fashionable clubs of the time. Whether you were 7 years old or 70, everyone knew that Peter Sterling & Brett Kenny, Steve Mortimer & Terry Lamb had won premierships and starred at Origin and Test level I was just as intrigued by characters such as Big MG (Mark Geyer) and unfashionable toilers such Col Van der Voort and Neil Baker. These guys were just as much heroes in a 7 year old’s eyes as were the household names.

Later that year I met another confused young league lover, unsure of the right club for him. I pointed him in the direction of the brown and white and I was able to share my passion for the Panthers. We became best friends.

In the years ahead the ‘Chocolate Soldiers’ became the ‘Licorice All Sorts’.
I experienced the highs and lows of Grand Final defeat, Grand Final glory and many moderate to lean years, before the Panthers signaled their revival with their second premiership in 2003.

Whenever my loyalty is tested, I just remind myself of a 7 year old boy who believed in his team, no matter what anybody else said.

738 Words – Including Title

#3 IBG makes a quick dart from dummy half...

-----------

"Gimme A Break!"

BEEP... BEEP... BEEP!

As the normal white-collar Australian wakes from his or her slumber to turn off the device they fear the most at 6:30 in the morning, the alarm clock, they realise that today is one of the worst days of the year – the first day of going back to work after the Christmas and New Year holidays.

After a measly two week break that’s usually filled with indulging on food during the festive period - not to mention excessive amounts of alcohol – it’s time to get back to the daily grind of commuting to the workplace to slave over figures and calculations to earn a buck.

But while the ordinary Australian is sitting in a stuffy office, there are hundreds of professional Rugby League players in Australia and New Zealand who have the luxury of living a life that only one would dream about.

By the way that some Rugby League players talk about their 'torturous' schedules in the media, you would think that players involved are being forced to watch an episode of "Dancing With The Stars".

It’s not THAT bad, surely...

But in all seriousness, with the National Rugby League competition for 2004 coming to a close about a month ago, already there are numerous teams which have officially started preparations for season 2005.

This raises the question: Do Rugby League players get enough time off before getting back into the grind of training for the season ahead?

For teams like the New Zealand Warriors and the Manly Sea Eagles, pre-season training couldn’t come soon enough. It’s a chance to wash away the grim memories of 2004, and start on a fresh and new plan for the upcoming year. For other teams like the Sydney Roosters and the reigning premiers – the Bulldogs, it’s a chance to build on what has to be considered a successful 2004.

Pre-season training is an exciting time of year, and should be treated by the players as such. It’s a chance to meet the new talent that the club has acquired for next season and beyond, and it’s a chance for new bonds – both on and off the field – to develop. It’s also a chance for every single player to set their goals for the upcoming season. Let’s face it, every player wants to improve and to take their game to the next level, and this is where all the hard work begins.

There are critics – who are mostly league players themselves - who say that they don’t get enough time off, and that pre-season training is too much of a hard slog if it’s brought on too early. Sure, the NRL first graders play one of the toughest and most gruelling sports in the world, and there’s no doubt that it’s a taxing feat to play 24 matches in the season, and that’s not even counting final or representative matches if the players earn those particular honours. But is getting on an exercise bike and kicking around a footy for an hour a day during the summer such a hard task?

If anything, the players should look at pre-season training as an opportunity to relax and have some fun before the REAL work begins. There’s hardly any stress during pre-season training. There are no deadlines concerning when you have to be fit by, unlike during the regular NRL season. There are hardly any media commitments that you have to fulfil.

What’s so hard about doing a bit of exercise with a bunch of mates?

Maybe I’m understating what goes on during pre-season training, because it will be hard and unforgiving at times, but the point is that no club would be stupid enough to work their 'investments' too hard, too early. The last thing that an NRL club wants is an injury to one of their star players that may cause them to miss the start of the season.

So next time a professional Rugby League player - who’s earning a fat salary to train a couple of days a week for a sport that they love – complains about the so-called torture and hard work that they are being subjected to, maybe they should sit down and have a long and hard think about their lives compared to the overworked Bruce from Accounting who works 'till 2am most nights to finish an important financial proposal... for minimal wage, I might add.

Sometimes I don’t know if professional Rugby League players realise how easy they have it.

---------

749 words including title.

LeagueNut

First Grade
LeagueNut carts the ball straight up the middle for the Panthers ... and promptly pulls a hamstring.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Time to plan the year ahead!

Okay, so I’m a bit of a sad bastard. Normally at this time of year people are planning Christmas vacations - camping trips, family reunions, New Years Eve box socials, and all the other things that make the Christmas season so wonderfully stressful.

Yet strangely, Christmas is the last thing on my mind. I’ve already started planning for deep into 2005 - because the 2005 NRL draw has finally been released!

As soon as I could, I had prepared a complete Warriors season draw to stick all over the place ... one at home, one at work, one in my wallet ... and also distributed it to anyone and everyone who may or may not have been slightly interested. The standard abuse from work-mates was expected of course (“how can you support those losers??”), but I could take my mind off it all by intently studying this wonderful piece of paper, attempting to fathom all the different permutations of the year ahead - the easy wins (HA!), the toughies, the ones to really look forward to. Bring it on!!

It’s never too early to get some time off work sussed out as well. I’ve already organised road trips for the Warriors games in New Plymouth and Hamilton (Christchurch would have stretched the budget a little too much!), along with days off work to ensure a stress-free trip. And as soon as I can, I’ll attempt to scrape together the funds for a whirlwind finals trip to Sydney - if necessary!

So all up, I reckon I’ll be seeing at least 15 Warriors games ‘live’ next year - and with this cruelly determined streak of optimism I seem to have buried within myself, I can add a home finals match and maybe even a Sydney finals match or two as well. I CAN’T BLOODY WAIT!!!

But it all makes me wonder - just what is it that makes me feel compelled to follow this team of mine so blindly all around the country? What is making me drag my (ample) bum off the couch to trek off to Wellington, Hamilton, New Plymouth, Sydney ...? What bizarre chemical reaction makes me bowl up to games wearing jester hats & holding giant inflatable fingers, wearing the jersey, waving the flag, and even occasionally wearing a Gorilla mask?

Do I ever get thanked for it? Will my presence at the ground ever come even remotely close to affecting the result of a match? Will Brent Webb ever hand his man-of-the-match award to me for cheering the loudest??

No, of course not. So why do it?

The ‘wonderful’ Pay TV coverage of our game has made it easier and easier for the average couch potato to soak in hours and hours of quality Rugby League entertainment from the comfort of his (or her!) very own Lazyboy. You can watch any game with no weather hassles, no queuing for food, no holding your nose in the toilets (unless Uncle Steve has been visiting), and no loudmouth idiots to distract you from the real battle out in the middle.

But in all honesty, I just can’t seem to get excited about a night in front of the blimmin’ telly! Sure, you might get the ‘benefits’ of a running commentary ... extra replays with a thousand different angles ... “expert in-depth match analysis” ... but nothing, absolutely nothing, can compare with being there in the flesh. And I sure as hell wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.

In fact, I’m considering lodging a formal complaint with the Commission for Human Rights. How can the NRL possibly justify releasing the season draw this early??? By definition, surely that must be some form of torture!

It’s just under four months until I can leap head-first into the wonderful grind of an NRL season, regularly losing both my voice and the occasional shred of dignity. Yet it’s going to seem like four years ... and I didn’t even vote for Bush.

My 2005 Season Tickets have been paid for ... an entire year of annual leave has been planned ... there’s just one tiny piece missing from this puzzle. Somehow, I’m expected to sit around for months while the players indulge in some very well-deserved rest and relaxation. Okay, they deserve it, but that doesn’t make it any damn easier for sad bastards like me!

Now I know why the Christmas season is so stressful ... BRING ON 2005!!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

747 words between the <><> lines.

Anonymous

Juniors
What are we expecting for 2005?

The 2004 season has been and gone, and many proclaim it as the best season ever. There were so many great things that happened in 2004. The emergence of North Queensland as a team to be reckoned with in the NRL, one of the best tries that could be recalled in recent memory by Billy Slater on the biggest state in Australian Rugby League, State of Origin. After such a great 2004, the question must be asked, what will 2005 bring? Will we see the Cowboys hold up the premiership trophy? Or will the Bulldogs go back to back? Will we see more individual brilliance by brilliant players?

If we take a look at all the previous NRL seasons, we have seen the emergence of brilliant rookies. In 2004, Sonny-Bill Williams and Karmichal Hunt burst onto the scene and the year before we were pleasured to see the brilliant start to Billy Slater’s career. With such a plethora of great juniors we could only imagine what brilliance will occur in 2005. Will the Roosters Jersey Flegg star Jamie Soward come good, or perhaps Canberra’s talented halfback Todd Carney?

The 2005 State of Origin is also shaping up to be a huge series. The Queensland back line will have a lot more depth, particularly in the backline. We saw the brilliance of Willie Tonga in the State of Origin in 2004, along with Billy Slater, but will Karmichal Hunt play origin next year or will Rhys Wesser maintain his spot? Brent Tate, Shaun Berrigan, Matt Sing, Josh Hannay and Paul Bowman should also have high claims on opening jerseys as shown by form this year.

Queenslands forward pack should also be strengthened especially with the rise of North Queensland players, Shane Tronc and Steve Southern who have had great seasons. Another added bonus to the forward pack should be returning bronco, Brad Thorn who was a real aggressive and dangerous player when he was last playing four years ago. However, with the anticipated retirement of Shane Webcke from rep football will Shane Tronc or Ben Ross be vying for that coveted starting prop position or will a talented rookie steal their thunder?

New South Wales are also looking great with a boulstered roster. Back line stars like Anthony Minichello, Luke Rooney, Mark Gasnier and even rising stars such as Matt King, Amos Roberts and Joel Monoghan could be looking at a debut in the blue. There’s also a lot of depth in the halves which was not evident in the past. The biggest addition to New South Wales, however, will be the probable return of star player Andrew Johns. The big question though is that will he be able to perform at this level anymore? Or do we need to bring in some fresh blood? Next season NSW will have a plethora of halfbacks including current Australian halves Craig Gower, Brett Kimmorley and Footy Show player of the year Matt Orford, an advantage they will have over Queensland.

The forward pack for New South Wales will also be massive, with the likes of Nathan Hindmarsh and this year’s player of the series Craig Fitzgibbon, New South Wales should nearly be unstoppable.

But not only will be looking forward to the football next season, but the return of politics into the NRL. Will we see the Tri-Nations back on the season schedule next year? With the success of this years Tri-Nations series even factor into the decision of the NRL? Will we get a 16th team this time around?

Every season we’ve seen the emergence of a surprise packet team. Most fans however think next year is a year of the favourites. Currently, the Bulldogs, Roosters and Cowboys are the favourites according to many NRL fans, but I believe next season will hold another team which comes of age. This season we’ve had the Cowboys, last season we had the Panthers, who will step up this season? Will Parramatta and New Zealand’s heavy off season purchases pay off and will they go all the way to complete the fairytale, or will Souths finally guided by a decent coach take the NRL world by storm and cause a massive boilover?

The NRL 2005 season is shaping to be another unpredictable, but thoroughly enjoyable season; it will only be a matter of time until we discover who the best team of 2005 is and which players will shine. I know I’m counting the days………..Are you?

747 Words

Kris_man

Bench
Defence wins the big games – or does it?

Rugby league can basically be divided into two aspects of play: attack, where the primary objective is to score, and defence, where the primary objective is to stop the other side scoring. Two key performance indicators in both are possession and territory, where if a team defends and attacks well, these will generally be high. There are more specific aspects of play which facilitate these primary areas, such as, in attack, creation of second phase play, quick play the balls, and astute kicking. In defence, there is the prevention of line breaks, physical domination in the ruck and the elimination of second phase play. Every aim in defence has a correlation in attack, and is the direct inverse of it, for example, where there is the creation of second phase play in attack, there is the prevention of second phase play in defence. Where there is the creation of quick play the balls in attack, there is the prevention of quick play the balls in defence.

Coaches can choose between two extremes – they can focus 100% on attack, or 100% on defence. A lot of the ‘experts’ in rugby league, such as Phil Gould and Warren Ryan, like to say that “defence wins the big matches”. Either extreme, though, is clearly flawed significantly, especially this one. If taken literally, then it would be impossible to win a match, as points are not scored in defence. If anything, the other extreme would be the better one, as it is possible, although extremely unlikely, that a team attacks so well that the other team never gets the ball. Clearly, though, a balance needs to be struck. Where this balance lies between the two extremes will depend on factors such as a team’s strengths and weaknesses, and weather conditions at the time of the game.

Two coaches seemingly polar opposites of one another are John Lang of the Panthers, and Matthew Elliott of the Raiders. Lang, whose team won the NRL premiership in 2003, is quoted to have said “it doesn’t matter how many points the other team scores, as long as we score more”. Clearly his focus is on scoring points, that is, attack. Matthew Elliott does not have such a quote, but judging by the playing style of the Raiders, especially in 2003, it would seem that his priorities lie in defence – the Raiders base their play largely around dummy-half runs and one-out hitups. By doing this, the focus is on possession and territory maintenance, no doubt crucial aspects of attack; however other common aspects of attack are almost completely ignored, such as the use of set plays and second phase play. In short, Elliott is using attack primarily to facilitate defence, thereby giving defence the priority. The idea is that by maintaining territory by abolition of second phase play and maintenance of possession (the Raiders have consistently had one of the best completion rates in the NRL), defence will be a lot easier. This is almost the exact opposite to John Lang’s style of play, where by placing a large emphasis on attack and point-scoring, there is a greater room for error in defence.

There is an element of truth, however, behind the idea that defence wins big games. “Big games” are games such as representative games and finals, and therefore are usually close games involving two high quality teams, and in close games, it is often the team who can “hold out” the longest, the team who can keep the opposition from scoring that extra try, who ends up winning. A good example is the 2003 NRL grand final between the Panthers and the Roosters – although the Panthers had become minor premiers and earnt their spot in the season decider through exciting attacking football, it was their defence, their ability to hold out the Roosters for sustained periods, that won them the grand final. The logical problem with this idea, though, is that it is somewhat of a circular argument – surely any victory can be attributed to the winning team defensive effort, their preventing of the losing team from scoring. At the same time, it is within reason to postulate that the cause of the loss was the losing team’s failure to attack successfully. Clearly, both facets of play are equally significant when analysing the outcome of a match.

Defence and attack are interrelated. Defence is facilitated by good attacking play, and attack is facilitated by strong, solid defence.

748 words, including title

BW#1F - Panthers #7

It’s Not Just A Game
rugby_league.jpg

I was living in a new area and thought what better way to make new friends than to join the local footy club. That way, I’d have 13 new mates straight away. So off I went and joined the East Coast Bays Rugby League Club. My first game of League was at age 11 in the Under 12's open weight grade.

I had an absolute shocker, knocking the ball on with my first touch and then getting dragged off by the coach and him giving me an earful.

My next game would be my last game for the Bays before I moved to Australia with family. And I was pumped to go out there and show everyone what I could do, I’d been trying my hardest all week at training and then Saturday came. We were playing Otara at our home ground. And thank god we were playing them at our home ground too, because we smashed them by 50 odd points and their supporters weren’t too happy.

I had found my position. "Fullback" my first touch was deep in our own half on the line when I plucked a bomb out of mid air and realized there was no one in front of me so off I went, the 20m, then the 30m, then halfway and so on. I couldn't believe it, everyone after the game reckoned I had a smile a mile wide when crossing the whitewash.

Moving to Australia was the birth of a new challenge, this time I made higher goals but the main one again was just to make friends. One thing I noticed straight away was it was so much more professional over the ditch. We had to be at games an hour and a half before to get ready and we weren’t allowed to take the uniforms home. Or maybe that was just a rule for the token cheeky kiwi in the team. I guess I’ll never know.

The extra hour to get ready didn’t seem to help because it seemed like we were camped behind our own goal line for what seemed like an eternity as we got thrashed by 30,40, or even 50+ score lines. At times i thought we were named the Aspley Nil’s not the Aspley Devils.

But hey I was loving it, new mates, a new culture and I was participating in the greatest game of all, Rugby League!!!

If you are defending your own line in the final 10 minutes of a game I can guarantee you that you would feel more comfortable having a mate lining up outside or inside you than someone you don’t know from a bar of soap.

Take Kiwis and Warriors Legend Stacey Jones for example, whenever he’s doing it tough and feeling a little down he turns to his long time mate and Warriors Second Rower Awen Guttenbeil.

They have been mates since age 13 when Stacey went to Whangarei. Awen was playing for Northland. During the tournament their families hooked up and by the time the fulltime whistle had blown it had been determined that Awen would move to Auckland and play for Stacey’s team at Pt Chev. And they have only played against each other once ever since.

Another great example of mateship is the one between Jason “Doc” Death and Jones. When Death arrived from North Queensland in 1999 Jones didn’t know anything about him but didn’t take long for that to change. They both loved their footy and their fishing. But one extremely neat moment in my opinion was when it came time for Death to leave the Warriors in 2001. A few days before he was due to leave they had been out fishing and at the end of the day Jones gave Death a present. Death took it home and opened the package and there was a note from Jones and his wife Rochelle, thanking Death for his friendship. Along with the note was one of Jones’ Kiwis jerseys.

The rugby league culture isn’t only just a game to play or a career for the ones fortunate enough to make the big league. It is a place to meet and make life long friends, who when the chips are down they are truthful, caring, reliable, helpful, polite, interesting and always there for you.

It’s a great way to expose young people to the possibilities for greater social engagement and for, exchanged experiences and building new friendships.

747 Words

Red Bear

Referee
After a very early injury, GoTheBears comes charging off the bench for his debut, and is very nervous indeed as he makes his first run.

Time to move on?
Well, with the conclusion of the 2004 NRL season I have just finished watching my 10th season of rugby league and, at just 15 years old, feel a bit lost. This year also saw the last of my two favourite players, those players I wanted to be in my younger days, leave the game, along with one of the players I loved to hate.

I’m talking about Penrith, Roosters, New South Wales and Australian legend Brad Fittler, Illawarra, Penrith, New South Wales and Australian legend Ryan Girdler and big Gorden Tallis, the raging bull who terrorised the mighty New South Wales side and was great for the Dragons, Bronco’s, Canetoads and Australia. These players are just the end of a long line of players that I first looked up to that have since retired from the game. Players such as -

Rod Wishart – The greatest Steeler of all. A crowd favourite down here in Wollongong, this winger played 156 games for the Steelers, scoring 1044 points in the process. He also scored 66 points in 22 State of Origin games for New South Wales and 138 points in 17 tests, the 1994 Kangaroo tour and the 1995 World Cup for Australia. Also a top bloke and signed the Steelers hat I got for Christmas one year.

Greg Florimo – North Sydney Bear’s legend that played a record 285 games for the club. Had a ten out of ten game in a 41-8 thrashing of Manly at North Sydney Oval in 1997 and these days does everything to help out the struggling club, from talking to sponsors to being ground announcer at home games.

Tim Brasher – Fullback from the Balmain Tigers, also played for South Sydney and the Cowboys. I used to love watching his runs from kick returns for New South Wales and I can’t ever remember him being outplayed by the opposition fullback at State of Origin level.

Of course for me personally it hasn’t just been players that have retired. I have seen my two favourite clubs, the North Sydney Bears and Illawarra Steelers, leave the top flight. Thankfully, I can still see the mighty Bears playing in the NSWRL Premier League.

So whom can this young and confused rugby league fan turn to? Are there any players that can replace the old brigade? What about a new team to follow? I may as well have a look at some of the possibilities.

Anthony Minichello – reminds me of Tim Brasher in his kick returns. I love the way he returns the ball and doesn’t just submit in tackles on his kick returns as well.
Craig Fitzgibbon – a former Illawarra Steeler and a top second rower. He is one of the true workhorses in the game and reminds me of Gary Larson, the former Queensland origin and North Sydney great.

Nathan Hindmarsh – another workhorse and an absolute freak. Never stops tackling or hitting it up. Plus he is a great bloke off the field. I just wish he would pull up his pants!

Bryan Fletcher – another second rower who never stops trying. He is always putting in despite being at the lowly South Sydney Rabbitohs. Unlike a lot of South’s recent signings didn’t just come to the club for the paycheck and not the football.

Matt Head – Illawarra junior and set the world on fire in first full season with the St George Illawarra Dragons. A brilliant and confident halfback who will be a future rep star.

Don’t get me wrong, these are all excellent players and likeable as well, but at 15 you just don’t get that same feeling as when you are younger looking up to the best players.

Is there a team to replace the Bears and Steelers? Well, I’ve tried getting into the Roosters and Rabbitohs. The Roosters are excellent to watch and their coaching staff is great. The atmosphere at a South game is great, especially when ‘Glory Glory to South Sydney’ is played. The Burrow is also the best supporters group in the land and it’s great to see them giving it to opposition supporters. These two clubs will do for first grade at the moment, but they just can’t compare to the thrill I got out of following North Sydney and Illawarra.

Well, there are some good players and certainly good teams around but, unfortunately, I can’t find anyone or any team to replace the ones I followed when I was younger.

Sometimes I wish I were 5 again…

749 words including the Title.

Raider_69

Post Whore
5 V 5 - good effort all around
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Should be a good one, right down to the wire
WE'RE BAD AND MEAN...

Red Bear

Referee
Well played Raiders, good luck, and well done to everyone for getting 5v5.
C'mon Panthers!
Bit sore after my debut game but i'll get used to the knocks in good time.