What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qatar Sheikh Wanting To Buy NRL Club

Gareth67

First Grade
This is very exciting news. No matter how stubborn this dickheads are, if this Qatar bloke really wants the club he'll get it. Everybody has a price.

And he seems very set on the Dragons in particular

Agree Brutalitops , everyone has their price and those greedy mongrels currently running
( ruining ? ) the show could be bought dirt cheap .

Would it not be tremendous to have the finances to buy whomever we wanted . To build better stadiums at both Wollongong and Kogarah ? Also our very own centre of excellence for the up and coming juniors .

But to finally rid ourselves of a board that should had gone with the dionuosaurs , that would be wonderful .
However the main concern is the Mole himself . One needs to ask just how much Christmas cheer did he gulp down ? :tada:

possm

Coach
It will purely be a commercial investment and the Oak Milk Panthers are the number one target......bring on the marketing of the "Chocolate Sheik" to hit the Arab World.

Just imagine a re-developed 40k seat stadium with a retractable roof at Kogarah with a bus and train terminal together with a multi story parking station under the ground. Hotel and entertainment precinct compliment the refurbished Taj.

While at the Gong, the current stadium is demolished and replaced with a twin of the Kogarah example. The Illawarra Leagues Club becomes the venue of choice for the Illawarra district catering for a variety of entertainment categories.

With a centre of excellence located at each site, the Dragons will have no problem attracting any of the marquee players they wish to sign.

Just imagine the Dragons being able to afford the best coaching staff that money could buy:
Dennett - Director of coaching
Hasler - Head Coach
Maguire and Henry - Assistants

Last edited:

Bench
Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai. He loves horses and pours millions into horse racing world wide.
Imagine if someone like that were to buy the team.
Imagine the TPA we could get then. We would have the pick of coaches and players. Of course Doust would be gone.
Well I am off to get my magic lamp and give it a rub to see what pops up

monsterkev

Juniors
again doust and the board are going to screw the fans to keep their jobs
the nrl needs to step in and make it happen and stop being so gutless
start the oust doust campaign again and petition the nrl
forget about bruce Gordon he's had 3 years to get a deal done now move on to the next potential buyer

Gareth67

First Grade
This news is almost as good as my scheduled 6 monthly jump with Ethel . Hell , its even better !
But there should be absolutely no reason for those idiots of the board to say no to this bid , after all they have manage to run up a $6 mil. debt to the NRL . So how could they possibly suggest that it would not be in the Joint Ventures best interest ? ?

Coffs dragon

Bench
I think the Sheik would know as much about Rugby League as Donald Trump.
His knowledge of the Dragons and the NRL is what he has been told by the man with the sales pitch, who could also be the Moles Dragon source. I'm a bit wary.
I believe that persons worth $60 billion don't have interests or hobbies more they seek to show & display power via the corporate & sporting world. Just look at horse racing and the money these Arabic Sheikhs spend in racing throughout the globe.
I'd rather this Sheikh be given the power to buy our club than McJetski ruin the joint with his power game spin.

Life's Good

Coach
This news is almost as good as my scheduled 6 monthly jump with Ethel . Hell , its even better !
But there should be absolutely no reason for those idiots of the board to say no to this bid , after all they have manage to run up a $6 mil. debt to the NRL . So how could they possibly suggest that it would not be in the Joint Ventures best interest ? ?
So that works out at twice per year. You stud!

Gareth67

First Grade
So that works out at twice per year. You stud!

Well I cant take all the credit , as I believe that it's really those ' Y ' front white jockeys that do the trick . They seem to ignite some primeval urge in the old girl and the next thing I know it's all fireworks and sparkles . :fireworks:

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
Well I cant take all the credit , as I believe that it's really those ' Y ' front white jockeys that does the trick . They seem to ignite some primeval lust in the old girl and the next thing I know it's all fireworks and sparkles . :fireworks:
Here’s hoping you are working to the calendar year. Only a few days to blast off...

possm

Coach
forget about bruce Gordon he's had 3 years to get a deal done now move on to the next potential buyer

Maybe the NRL will worry about News Corp. and the Rooster's connection being upset about the potential of the Dragons competing at their level or better.

Gareth67

First Grade
Maybe the NRL will worry about News Corp. and the Rooster's connection being upset about the potential of the Dragons competing at their level or better.

Possum , wholeheartedly agree . Should this ever eventuate , it would have the potential to totally wipe those current ' money ' clubs of their high and mighty perches .

Essentially changing the NRL landscape for ever . The Dragons would have the means to be the dominant force in rugby league for as long as the sun continues to burn . And as others have said , not only on the field but also on the corporate side . The possibilities are endless .

Yes , I am afraid that it would not only be our board being against this , but also a very large faction of the top clubs also . As Monster Kev suggested earlier , this is something that would not only need the blessing of the NRL , but they must get behind it also and ensure that it happens .

They could dig their heels in and the game will continue to stagnate or get on board and reap the benefits for the entire game here in Australia .

Last edited:

JDHD

Juniors

Let's get real though: if this Sheik actually wants to buy the Dragons, it will 100% happen. He simply has too much money to be denied. Every man has his price.

JDHD

Juniors
I think the Sheik would know as much about Rugby League as Donald Trump.
His knowledge of the Dragons and the NRL is what he has been told by the man with the sales pitch, who could also be the Moles Dragon source. I'm a bit wary.

If he wants to buy the Dragons, it's because of his mate, that Michael Ibrahim bloke, who's a massive Dragons fan.

As an aside, I'd actually rather have an owner who doesn't know shit about league. Dave Smith was the best CEO the NRL ever had. He didn't even known Ben Barba's name but he did more for the game in three years than Gallop did in his entire tenure precisely because he wasn't beholden to the bullshit power dynamics and traditions of the NRL.

Mind you, how bad is it when a man who has worked his entire life in high finance with Bank of Scotland comes over here and leaves three years later because "sorry, too much politics for me".

epDragon62

First Grade
Let's get real though: if this Sheik actually wants to buy the Dragons, it will 100% happen. He simply has too much money to be denied. Every man has his price.
So true, and those outdated and out lived bone heads running the club should be putting a plan together to show him how they would make the club great with the funds instead of resisting.

JDHD

Juniors
So true, and those outdated and out lived bone heads running the club should be putting a plan together to show him how they would make the club great with the funds instead of resisting.

Exactly. It wouldn't be hard to keep your job if you are borderline competent

Coffs dragon

Bench
If he wants to buy the Dragons, it's because of his mate, that Michael Ibrahim bloke, who's a massive Dragons fan.

As an aside, I'd actually rather have an owner who doesn't know shit about league. Dave Smith was the best CEO the NRL ever had. He didn't even known Ben Barba's name but he did more for the game in three years than Gallop did in his entire tenure precisely because he wasn't beholden to the bullshit power dynamics and traditions of the NRL.

Mind you, how bad is it when a man who has worked his entire life in high finance with Bank of Scotland comes over here and leaves three years later because "sorry, too much politics for me".
I hope this Michael Ibrahim bloke is not related to the infamous John & Sam Ibrahim underworld family. I don't wat to see any future TPA's be in episodes of Underbelly on TV.
Imagine the conversation if & when the Sheikh asks for the removal of Doust!!
"Leave it with me Boss"