What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD doesn't need another team

Why are fans of Cowboys, Sharks, Sea Eagles and Raiders pushing a Perth-based team ahead of Christchurch on the basis of population?

It's not like Townsville, Sutherland, Northern Beaches and Canberra are large markets. Sounds like a case of "Do as I say, not as I do".

Perth does not have a large RL community and the city is as parochial about fumbleball as Adelaide and Melbourne.

To get an idea of how low RL is in Perth, it only has 12 of Western Australia's 28 clubs.

That's quite significant as 77% of Western Australians live in Perth.

A Perth-based NRL team will rely on the bulk of its supporters living in Perth.

This is the literal definition of snookering yourself.

So you admit that the fumblers became wealthy only after putting teams in new markets which is the exact opposite of what the NRL should do in your opinion?
Wrong on all levels.

AwFuL and its Victorian clubs got wealthy when broadcast revenue sky rocketed in the mid-90s and the Victorian Gov legalised pokies in 1991. Up until then they were poor.

mongoose

Coach
South Melbourne Swans chose to relocate to Sydney because they were broke.

VFL didn't create a new team for the Sydney market.

VFL was broke in the 1980s. Their reason for adding the Bears and Eagles was because poor Melbourne clubs like Fitzroy needed the money that the new clubs had to pay to enter the competition. Ironically, Fitzroy were forced to relocate with Brisbane when they went bust in 1996.
You know a lot about AFL don't you

The VFL/AFL were supportive of the South Melbourne move. They were looking at a team in Sydney one way or another.

Yeah, and?

You're saying we should create a club from scratch for Perth because the VFL was supportive of a broke Melbourne club relocating to Sydney?

A new club was created in Brisbane, but it was eventually pushed into merging with a poor Melbourne club. The Sydney Swans and Brisbane Lions are Melbourne clubs based in RL cities.

South Melbourne and Fitzroy fans weren't happy about it.

Would you have been happy if the NSWRL sent a Sydney club to Perth in the 1990s?

Colk

First Grade
Wrong on all levels.

AwFuL and its Victorian clubs got wealthy when broadcast revenue sky rocketed in the mid-90s and the Victorian Gov legalised pokies in 1991. Up until then they were poor.

Do you think honestly that the broadcast revenue would have skyrocketed if it were just a Victorian competition? Do you think they would be getting a $600m a year broadcast deal now?

That is if I’m wrong on all levels of course

mongoose

Coach
Why are fans of Cowboys, Sharks, Sea Eagles and Raiders pushing a Perth-based team ahead of Christchurch on the basis of population?

It's not like Townsville, Sutherland, Northern Beaches and Canberra are large markets. Sounds like a case of "Do as I say, not as I do".
No one is arguing that those clubs or small clubs shouldn't be in the NRL though, so you don't have a point.

Colk

First Grade

Perth does not have a large RL community and the city is as parochial about fumbleball as Adelaide and Melbourne.

To get an idea of how low RL is in Perth, it only has 12 of Western Australia's 28 clubs.

No s***

You also had to go personal again (as you have done before) because you have no counter argument. Whatever team somebody supports (I thought it was just Canberra in your crosshairs now it is even yours) has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to somebody supporting a Perth bid or another NZ side or another Brisbane side or a PNG team (and I have had discussions with other Raider supporters and other supporters about all of these options for and against). It’s called a correlation not a causation.

Heck I could apply the same argument to you and say why does a Cowboy care/want another Brisbane side in the competition as the next side? You see how irrelevant it is

nko11

Juniors
Just flicking through the channels and come across an AFL game on the GC. There's about 7 people there!! This is the sport were worried about in QLD???
LOL, some dimwits on here.
The 3 lowest crowds this round between the AFL and NRL:
AFL - Manuka Oval - 13,080
AFL - Gold Coast - 11,440
AFL - Hobart - 4,727

In fact this year AFL have had 7 sub 10k crowds so far and NRL has only had 3 - two of those being extremely weather effected and would have been 10k+ easily.

Last year was 18 for AFL vs 17 for NRL.

Makes me laugh when you get the AFL types saying something like NRL gets 5000 people to games.

Do you think honestly that the broadcast revenue would have skyrocketed if it were just a Victorian competition? Do you think they would be getting a $600m a year broadcast deal now?

That is if I’m wrong on all levels of course
Do you think Ch7 are paying big money to broadcast the Lions and Swans into Brisbane and Sydney on 7mate for an combine average viewership of 89k viewers?

Swans draw 41k in Sydney. Lions draw 48k in Brisbane.

The overall average for Brisbane and Sydney is just 30k and 22k.

Storm average 33k in Melbourne on 9Gem. The overall average for Melbourne is just 12k. Perth's average is just 8k.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

Bukowski

Juniors
AFL - Hobart - 4,727

In fact this year AFL have had 7 sub 10k crowds so far and NRL has only had 3 - two of those being extremely weather effected and would have been 10k+ easily.

Makes me laugh when you get the AFL types saying something like NRL gets 5000 people to games.
That gold coast crowd looks exaggerated. Very interesting figures on sub 10k crowds

Colk

First Grade
Yeah, and?

You're saying we should create a club from scratch for Perth because the VFL was supportive of a broke Melbourne club relocating to Sydney?

A new club was created in Brisbane, but it was eventually pushed into merging with a poor Melbourne club. The Sydney Swans and Brisbane Lions are Melbourne clubs based in RL cities.

Would you have been happy if the NSWRL sent a Sydney club to Perth in the 1990s?

These are all red herrings. All you have to ask yourself is this: has it worked for them or not. Weighing up all the positives and all of the negatives of that decision and regardless of the circumstances in which that decision came about - have they benefited from it or have they not.

Now I would not think there would be anybody around (heck you might be the first I have come across) who doesn’t think that them going to new markets hasn’t benefited them

Do you think Ch7 are paying big money to broadcast the Lions and Swans into Brisbane and Sydney on 7mate for an combine average viewership of 89k viewers?

Swans draw 41k in Sydney. Lions draw 48k in Brisbane.

The overall average for Brisbane and Sydney is just 30k and 22k.

Storm average 33k in Melbourne on 9Gem. The overall average for Melbourne is just 12k. Perth's average is just 8k.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

I think they would be paying an a fair bit more yes. I think you’d be daft to say otherwise at this point.

Having a presence in a market is worth something. Having no presence in a market is worth nothing.

Canard

Immortal
AFL - Hobart - 4,727

Yet another reason to not play at Dolphin Oval.

Wb1234

Referee
Ironically, Perth Rat has provided a compelling case for not expanding into Perth According to him, the Eagles have more than 100k members and generate more revenue from football operations than the Broncos. On top of that, he reckons the Dockers are bigger and richer than the Broncos.

If that's the case then how is a Perth-based NRL team supposed to draw support in such a rusted-on fumbleball market that has two AwFuL clubs bigger than the world's largest and richest RL club?

Perth is smaller than Brisbane.

I want to see evidence to support a Perth-based team. I'm not going to blindly support the idea just because a few people on LU think it is taboo to prioritise NZ2 and Brisbane 3.
What’s funny is when you ask Perth fans to justify it over nz2 or Brisbane 3 and they go all quiet and can’t

Essentially they want a Perth team in because one day in the future they might benefit the code whilst clubs that can benefit code now should miss out

sure if the code goes to 24 teams there’s a place like a filler club like Perth

Wb1234

Referee

Even better ask them to sacrifice their little club for expansion and it’s a hard no

Wb1234

Referee
These are all red herrings. All you have to ask yourself is this: has it worked for them or not. Weighing up all the positives and all of the negatives of that decision and regardless of the circumstances in which that decision came about - have they benefited from it or have they not.

Now I would not think there would be anybody around (heck you might be the first I have come across) who doesn’t think that them going to new markets hasn’t benefited them

I think they would be paying an a fair bit more yes. I think you’d be daft to say otherwise at this point.

Having a presence in a market is worth something. Having no presence in a market is worth nothing.
Nonsense post

lots of words no argument

reanimate

Bench
Yeah, and?

They wanted a Sydney club either way, they entertained starting a new one - https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/125641831

Key quote:
Huggins's report emphasised it
was imperative for the VFL to
expand now to make Australian
football a truly national sport and
declared there was an untapped
market in Sydney which repre
sented an excellent opportunity
for the league.
They knew they could admit a South Australian team easily into the VFL/AFL, however they could see the future potential of the Sydney market for Aussie Rules and wanted a team there for that reason.

Latest posts