What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD Team 2017

lockyno1

Post Whore
f**king....

game 1 2014, DCE stepped in mid-game after taking hardly any reps as the right side half in training. he was always used as a utility before that.

game 2 2014, DCE had his own injury issues and hardly took any right side half reps in training again. hunt did the majority of it. QLD should've gone into the match with hunt starting who was developing combos and familiarity with the team as the organiser with thurston. it was the major blunder in the Meninga/Hagan reign.

the whole situation just ruined DCEs rep career. i'd take him in a heatbeat if he was available for NSW. and he's actually playing well too.

He'd suit NSW being the controlling playmaker. He won't ever get that for QLD, there is always going to be a Thurston, Cronk, etc in the side controlling the side. The 2nd playmaker needs to be able to fit into that structure. He doesn't suit QLD. He is perfect for a club side where he is the main playmaker and that's why he suits Manly. He is one of the nicest blokes you'll meet so I actually wish he'd get more chances at rep level, but I don't think he will be until such time where Cronk and Thurston are retired. Might get a chance in a year or two, never know.

lockyno1

Post Whore
meninga to his credit on yokels only has admitted to utilising DCE incorrectly.

the word on why DCE was overlooked is because of his titans backflip, how he divided the old manly side and his want for total control steering a team (smith cronk etc against him)

The Titans should be thankful. Ashley taylor will be better anyway.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
You really do lack wit Francis. You're such an unfunny, uncharismatic poster.

BTW, nice lil weak attempt at trying to make yourself feel like you've got back up "It's not just me..." lol. Be a man and stand on ya own 2 feet aye?

I also don't understand why you're making fun of mental illness, but whatever...

^ = Bobby rattled.

Pedge1971

First Grade
DCE was pathetic when he got a starting spot. He was that bad I was hoping he was hooked after 30 minutes. No shock that the side played terribly with him at half. He seems to want to be the controlling half, as that is what he is used to. Milford is the opposite- he's used to having Ben Hunt as the controlling halfback for Brisbane. He will slot in and play 2nd fiddle to Cronk and concentrate on running the ball and using his speed. Look Milford wouldn't have been my selection but he's a better choice than DCE at least.

Boyd suits this side, having a 3rd "half" is important and Boyd sets up a lot of tries, and with Oates, etc outside him, that's what we need. We need a FB that is able to give the ball to his outside backs and set them up. It is always handy to have combinations, and Gillett, Milford (if playing), Oates, etc form a very potent side of the field. It is smart not changing a lot from last year where we won comfortably.

I get what you are saying about Boyd but Slaters ball playing this year is the equal of not better than Boyd and his attacking threat much greater.

NSW will be happy to see Slater out of the team.

Pedge1971

First Grade
f**king....

game 1 2014, DCE stepped in mid-game after taking hardly any reps as the right side half in training. he was always used as a utility before that.

game 2 2014, DCE had his own injury issues and hardly took any right side half reps in training again. hunt did the majority of it. QLD should've gone into the match with hunt starting who was developing combos and familiarity with the team as the organiser with thurston. it was the major blunder in the Meninga/Hagan reign.

the whole situation just ruined DCEs rep career. i'd take him in a heatbeat if he was available for NSW. and he's actually playing well too.

To be fair I think NSW would take any of Qlds top 4 ot 5 HB options over our own....

lockyno1

Post Whore
I get what you are saying about Boyd but Slaters ball playing this year is the equal of not better than Boyd and his attacking threat much greater.

NSW will be happy to see Slater out of the team.

Each to their own. I don't rate Slaters ball playing near Boyd. Slater has more pure speed though and he will be more likely to create a half break from nothing. Both are outstanding fullbacks. We couldn't go wrong either way. I firmly believe we made the correct call though.

slamminsam246

Juniors
DCE was pathetic when he got a starting spot. He was that bad I was hoping he was hooked after 30 minutes. No shock that the side played terribly with him at half. He seems to want to be the controlling half, as that is what he is used to. Milford is the opposite- he's used to having Ben Hunt as the controlling halfback for Brisbane. He will slot in and play 2nd fiddle to Cronk and concentrate on running the ball and using his speed. Look Milford wouldn't have been my selection but he's a better choice than DCE at least.

Boyd suits this side, having a 3rd "half" is important and Boyd sets up a lot of tries, and with Oates, etc outside him, that's what we need. We need a FB that is able to give the ball to his outside backs and set them up. It is always handy to have combinations, and Gillett, Milford (if playing), Oates, etc form a very potent side of the field. It is smart not changing a lot from last year where we won comfortably.

DCE played one bad game when he got called in to play a roll he had never played or trained for before (2nd fiddle) whilst INJURED. And i agree, i was calling for him to be hooked that night for Morgan too. But I also wanted Hodges hooked and to never play for Qld again when he had an absolute shocker on debut. Yet he became a consistent star and integral part of the team for many years after that. Cherry wont get another chance cause he's not a Bronco / Bennett love child and he hurt some precious peoples feelings when he went for the incredible money (like any other player would/has).

Boyd, is nowhere near the ball player or "3rd playmaker" Slater is. Stats dont lie.

Oates im less upset about. He's a big unit, runs hard and can finish like the best of em. Holmes is unlucky, but his time will come.

The team naming was obviously heavily influenced by old man wayne. It will be Walters undoing. Qld is at it's best when there is no club bias. Hope im wrong, but the dynasty looks to have ended.

Last edited:

Bronco18

Juniors
The team naming was obviously heavily influenced by old man wayne. It will be Walters undoing. Qld is at it's best when there is no club bias. Hope im wrong, but the dynasty looks to have ended.

Lol what horse shit (forgive the pun). Naming Milford was a giant middle finger to Bennett. Was that part of Walters "favour the Broncos" master plan?

Also did Meninga get on board the Broncos bandwagon when he named Boyd Aus fullback, and fullback in his hypothetical QLD team?

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Johnathan Thurston’s already under a cloud of uncertainty, but it was his teammate Josh McGuire who needed to see the team doctor on the first day of camp.

“On day one they had a light session at Suncorp Stadium,” The Courier-Mail’s Peter Badel told NRL Tonight.

“A bit of a scare, they were playing some touch football.

“(McGuire) went for a ball with Dane Gagai, their hands collided and he reeled away with his left hand.

“He was in a bit of pain, he was wringing his hand, he let out a few words, he then had Matt Hislop the Queensland doctor come and assess him.

“The word we’ve got is that it’s only a minor injury, he may have dislocated his finger.

“He won’t miss any Origin football based on that assessment, but it’s something the Maroons can do without.”

They're dropping like flies... Lose McGuire and they're up shit creek without a paddle

^ = Bobby rattled.

giphy.gif

Saxon

Bench
Are the Queensland selectors seriously asking us to believe that they think Justin O'Neil is more valuable to QLD than Billy Slater?

insert.pause

First Grade
If Milford doesn't play there's going to be a big stink by clubs, anyone who can look past the 'whinging Wayne' stuff can recognise its a problem.
Media finally woken up to it. The NRL are going to have to get involved, they can't allow a player named in the starting side to be replaced by the 18th man without injury, especially when that player is released on the basis he will be playing, preventing him from fulfilling his club duties this weekend. The QRL thought they were being clever or something, they have turned it into a farce, all because they are to chicken shit to make a call on Thurston by Friday.

insert.pause

First Grade
we are f**ked

Myles, Lillyman, O'Neil & no JT. And expect plenty of traffic directed at Milf too, hope he holds his own though.

Last edited:

Latest posts