What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland Test Greats

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Even Harry was originally a Bluebagger, that's where all the decent cricketers come from,

JJ

Immortal
Would absolutely flog a combined NZ/ENG all-time side. Thoughts @Tommy Smith and JJ

Pretty funny stuff

An all time England side alone is pretty amazing, add Hadlee and Grimmett (unless Laker or Underwood are better) and it's go ok

All time NSW would edge all time NZ (but many of our early cricketers are underrated - Cowie, Dempster, Donnelly, Sutcliffe, Reid etc and we tend to only have one great a generation and back then we played few tests essentially because Australia ignored us - Grimmett is the one not underrated because he went to Australia. Then NSW is much bigger and it's perhaps your #1 sport, just a hobby here

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Seems he played for NSW but was Queensland born and bred (Toowoomba) - fine player
He moved to Marrickville when he was 3 from QLD, and played for 4 years for NSW before moving back to QLD. So yeah QLD will claim him as one of their own.

JJ

Immortal
He moved to Marrickville when he was 3 from QLD, and played for 4 years for NSW before moving back to QLD. So yeah QLD will claim him as one of their own.

Ahh that early, my mistake, thought it was later than that, guess those above can consider him for their NSW team which isn't relevant to the thread

I'd like to call him a Queenslander if only to ensure Hayden is not the best Qld bat... he'll lets put Border and Chappell there too to bump him down

TheParraboy

Staff member
James Hopes would have become a 100+ test veteran had his started his FC career last season...

Incorrect

Coach
I thought it was a terrible sign that James Hopes was opening their bowling up until at least last year - he must have been 38. Maybe he has retired now.

Pretty sure I read that Hopes is playing in the QLD under 19 side under an alias due to how bad their juniors are going these days ...

T-Boon

Coach
All time NSW would edge all time NZ (but many of our early cricketers are underrated - Cowie, Dempster, Donnelly, Sutcliffe, Reid etc and we tend to only have one great a generation and back then we played few tests essentially because Australia ignored us - Grimmett is the one not underrated because he went to Australia. Then NSW is much bigger and it's perhaps your #1 sport, just a hobby here

We kick your arse at Rugby as well almost 5% of the time.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Would absolutely flog a combined NZ/ENG all-time side. Thoughts @Tommy Smith and JJ
Haha it'd be a great clash but I'd back England/NZ. England alone would have a ridiculous team, but combined it'd probably be (not including Grimmett who played for Aus):

Jack Hobbs
Herb Sutcliffe
Len Hutton
Wally Hammond
Denis Compton
Ian Botham
Alan Knott
Richard Hadlee
Derek Underwood
Fred Trueman
Sydney Barnes

Vs what?

Arthur Morris
Bob Simpson
Don Bradman
Allan Border
Steve Waugh
Adam Gilchrist
Richie Benaud
Alan Davidson
Ray Lindwall
Glenn McGrath
Bill O'Reilly

NSW really has produced a long list of remarkable cricketers. They'd probably win at the SCG though.

undertaker

Coach
Mahatma Cote??
Ritchie was lucky he got an extended run in the national side due to the Rebel Tours, and also the game wasn't fully professional back in the '80s, hence pretty much all players had jobs outside of cricket, fitness wasn't paramount (like it is today) and rigorous training regimes during the week were non-existent

Had he been playing today, he would be the Mark Tookey of cricket, and make Mark Cosgrove look like Usain Bolt.

undertaker

Coach
My favourite QLD test players over the past 2 decades or so:

Andy Bichel was one of my favourite QLD players. Very unlucky to have played during the era he did, has the infamous record for being name 12th man in 19 tests, and like Stuart MacGill, wasn't able to build any momentum with an extended run in the team as they were always in and out of the side, seen by the selectors only as a back-up option. But when he was on song, he was brilliant to watch with bat and ball. Although not a test, his 7/20 vs England in the 2003WC remains one of the best displays of bowling I've ever seen. Came up with two all-round, match-winning performances in that tournament (the other against New Zealand).

Have a soft spot for Kasprowicz as well. One of the few overseas bowlers to have an impact on the subcontinent, was lethal with the reverse swing and was instrumental in breaking our 35 year losing streak in India in 2004. A genuine humble, nice guy off the field too.

Stuart Law - like many players in Shield cricket during the '90s, piled on thousands of runs in Sheffield Shield and country cricket, but only got one test, scoring 54*. Ponting also debuted in the same test. We'll never know what could've been had Ponting got out first ball (which he should've, but was dropped and ended up getting 96) and Law went on to make a hundred. Unfortunately, Law wasn't given that opportunity as Mark Taylor declared.

Last edited:

Latest posts