What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queenslander!

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Oh ... I've actually go to do something to earn a living. But isn't my arguing enough? Can't I just be clever and prove everyone else wrong. Oh you want to achieve something ... ohh ... that's not my area ... I just argue.

Daz I could not disagree with the your populist views on academics and academia more. The work research they do and earn a living from influences more law and government policy than a lay person may recognise. Even the work done in the arts assists societal cultural development - but admittedly bar literature and music most of that would be lost on me - probably because I prefer footy stadiums to art galleries.

Daz you may have worked in a university but not a law firm I take it - litigators earn a living, achieve lots, and for the most part - argue. But if you are ever in a dispute and need an advocate then I'm sure your views towards people who argue for you will change.

Regards

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
Daz you may have worked in a university but not a law firm I take it - litigators earn a living, achieve lots, and for the most part - argue. But if you are ever in a dispute and need an advocate then I'm sure your views towards people who argue for you will change.

Regards

Litigators argue for someone else's benefit (albiet for a huge sum of money ... one could argue [did I say that] that they actually argue for their own gain as well).

On the other hand, academics in the main argue for their own ego's sake. The lions share of academic argument is just that ... academic ... goes no where and does nothing.

Like this post really.

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
If you put a large sized condom on a large c**k,a medium sized condom on a medium c**k,what do you put on a soft c**k?
huh.gif
huh.gif

A QLD STATE OF ORIGIN JERSEY

Go the MIGHTY BLUES

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Litigators argue for someone else's benefit (albiet for a huge sum of money ... one could argue [did I say that] that they actually argue for their own gain as well).

On the other hand, academics in the main argue for their own ego's sake. The lions share of academic argument is just that ... academic ... goes no where and does nothing.

Academics may argue for ego's sake but I doubt it is in the main. The "lion's share" of academic reasearch is government or commercially funded and must be for an approved purpose - stroking their own ego is not one. In fact then they are arguing (critically analysing) for someone else's benefit - for a not so large sum of money - maybe they feel a community service compulsion more than being ego driven? Also their holidays and hours are good. In my view academic's agendas are more a common motivation than their ego! I have seen book publications and journals before that would back up your point - but they are not as common as genuine critiques or even agenda for that matter.

If I were to argue as a lawyer for my own gain and not for the client's best interest I would be in breach of my professional obligations and be penalised and risk being disbarred. How does your view of lawyers explain pro bono publico and legal aid work?

You have a distorted view of academics and lawyers but when you're on the outside looking in things appear differently I guess. In my experience; sure a lot of lawyers have egos - but what occupation does not have egoists? Normally that ego drives the best results for their clients. Organic intellectuals love to be of assistance and love to help via problem solving and share their knowledge. You can misconstrue that as " Hey look at me - I'm smarter than you" when its actually more "have you thought about it this way?"

MightyBronco

Juniors
This thread has caught the ghey.....I bet this bloke up here ^^^^^^isnt even gunna watch the match, hes gunna compose some more elegant prose to impress the imaginary male lovers he wishes he had.

BDR

First Grade
The one thing to come out of this thread is that whether or not you're a blue or a maroon, we can all agree that cornerposter and antilag are total wankers.

It's about time for us to all STFU and watch some footy, let's go Queeeenslanders!

cornerposter

Juniors
The one thing to come out of this thread is that whether or not you're a blue or a maroon, we can all agree that cornerposter and antilag are total wankers.

It's about time for us to all STFU and watch some footy, let's go Queeeenslanders!

Welcome to the gang :D

Latest posts