What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R.I.P Graeme Langlands

getsmarty

Immortal
Remembering 'Changa': The prototype for the modern fullback

Graeme "Changa" Langlands traversed three eras and was a champion in every one of them.

In the days of unlimited tackles, fullbacks, other than his fellow Immortal Clive Churchill, were mainly defensive players and engaged in kicking duels.

1516510485622.jpg

Remembering 'Changa': Rugby league Immortal Graeme Langlands has died. Photo: Simon Alekna
They would return the ball with long-range kicks rather than run it, yet Changa, who also played centre and wing, had a devastating sidestep off both feet that mesmerised opponents.

In the brief era of the four-tackle rule, when attack from fullbacks was expected and they were additionally required to defuse notoriously difficult bombs, Langlands was already ahead of his time.

The six-tackle rule saw him further consolidate his place in the game's pantheon, the forerunner of the modern fullback, a position that today is the most important attacking position on the field.

He was also incredibly tough, with a high threshold of pain, and he expected the same from his teammates. When John "Dallas" Donnelly, a young prop from Gunnedah, played his first game for NSW, he complained to Chang at half time, saying: "I think I've corked my arm." A volley of abuse followed, mainly focused on the need for young forwards from the bush to become accustomed to a little pain. Dallas had broken his arm.

His ability to play with injury was to be the source of his most embarrassing moment when he was forced from the field while captain-coach of St George during the 1975 grand final against Easts.

It was widely reported that a needle to help deaden the pain of a groin injury hit the "wrong spot" but it's more likely the medication was a bad mix with whatever else he had taken to get him up for the game.

1516510485622.jpg

Looking back: Graeme 'Changa' Langlands played 45 Tests for Australia, including 15 as captain. Photo: SMH
It's unlikely there will ever be a rugby league back as versatile as Langlands. He was selected on a Kangaroo tour as a winger and frequently filled in as centre.

It is an axiom in coaching that one should never weaken a position to strengthen another. Yet when Langlands was moved to, say, wing to allow Canterbury's Les Johns to play in the No.1 jumper, the team became stronger.

His versatility cost him a place in rugby league's Team of the Century. While he was just below Churchill in the voting for fullback and a step below his St George teammate Reg Gasnier as a centre, he missed out on both starting positions and, like another versatile champion, Bob Fulton, ended up on the reserves bench.

Yet, in a list of the 10 players who polled most votes, Langlands and Fulton are placed very high.

So good was Changa's sidestep it confused his own teammates. Geoff Carr, a former winger with the Dragons, recalls complaining to then coach Jack Gibson how hard it was to adhere to the demand to follow Langlands.

Carr said: "Do you know how difficult it is to follow him and give him options? I just can't read him. He loses me."

Gibson, ever the pragmatist, said: "When he's got the ball, run 20 metres upfield, stay on one side of the field and he'll come to you."

"And he did," recalled Carr.

Just as every young fan wanted to be Benji Marshall after Wests Tigers won the 2005 grand final, Changa was those growing up following the Dragons in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy has always said Langlands was his idol. Changa's only weakness was his poor articulation. I recall him telling me that he became frustrated when trying to explain to players he coached how they had taken a wrong option in attack in a game.

Slow-motion video analysis came too late for him.

His curt language did not endear him to some. Frank Hyde, the legendary commentator, covered the match of the day for 2SM at the SCG when the Dragons were a regular fixture.

Frank was having a feud with Changa and regularly awarded the prize watch to other players in the St George team.

Finally, came the day Langlands outplayed everyone to the extent that Frank simply had to give him the Seiko.

As the highly respected Hyde rose from his sideline seat, moving to Langlands on the sideline, he declared: "My man of the match is Graeme Langlands." Changa's response was quintessential Langlands. "Stick it up your arse," he said.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-for-the-modern-fullback-20180121-h0lprg.html

Gareth67

First Grade
Weren't those long range kicking duels great to watch ! Changa , Eric Simms , the great Keith Barnes and the fella that really had a boot on him , Kevin 'Slim ' Longbottom . It was amazing how 24 players were stopped dead in their tracks , whilst the fullbacks took control of the game , quite often turning the match around , at least territorially .

And of course the long range penalty goals from the same gentlemen . I can recall Slim Longbottom kicking one from inside his own half , all magnificent players in their own right . 'Tis a shame that facet of rugby league no longer exists as the crowds loved it .

Old Timer

Coach
Such a great photo of Changa in the Green & Gold and don't those jerseys look so much better than the crap they wear today.
Yes Gareth the kicking duels were great and akin to the great tennis players as they manoeuvred their opponents ever closer to the sideline hoping to force the error.
The roar of the crowd when Changa stopped the duel and decided to run invariably putting the big side step on the first poor bastard that come to tackle him.
Batty, Barsley, Barnes, Les Johns, Longbottom, Simms, Thornett and of course Eadie all great in their own right but not a patch on Changa.
Here's a moment in Changa's career that should bring a smile to your faces (maybe this made immortal) make sure you turn the volume up.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/com...

Old Timer

Coach
Such a great photo of Changa in the Green & Gold and don't those jerseys look so much better than the crap they wear today.
Yes Gareth the kicking duels were great and akin to the great tennis players as they manoeuvred their opponents ever closer to the sideline hoping to force the error.
The roar of the crowd when Changa stopped the duel and decided to run invariably putting the big side step on the first poor bastard that come to tackle him.
Batty, Barsley, Barnes, Les Johns, Longbottom, Simms, Thornett and of course Eadie all great in their own right but not a patch on Changa.
Here's a moment in Changa's career that should bring a smile to your faces (maybe this made immortal) make sure you turn the volume up.

Sorry guys that link doesn't work and not sure how to fix it but
youtube
1967 Swinton RL Test

Willow

Assistant Moderator
WAV (1193 Kb) Click on the speaker to hear Graeme Langlands recall his retirement in 1976.
jubileeavenue.com.au/history/sound/sh_changspeaks1976.wav

Changa's stats:

ST GEORGE, 1963-1976: 227 games, 86 tries, 648 goals, 1554 points.

Domestic Rep honours:

Country firsts 1962 (1 match),
City seconds 1963-65 (2 matches),
City firsts 1967-73 (6 matches),
Sydney 1964-66, (2 matches: internationals),
NSW 1962-75 (36 matches: 33 vs Qld + 3 internationals)

Australian Rep honours:

Tests 1963-74 (34 matches),
World Cup (11 matches),
Tour matches 1963-75 (45 matches).

In all, Graeme Langlands played 320 top level matches scoring 132 tries, 866 goals for a first class career total of 2128 points.

More: (1976) http://jubileeavenue.com.au/history/1974-1979.php

blacksafake

First Grade
Weren't those long range kicking duels great to watch ! Changa , Eric Simms , the great Keith Barnes and the fella that really had a boot on him , Kevin 'Slim ' Longbottom . It was amazing how 24 players were stopped dead in their tracks , whilst the fullbacks took control of the game , quite often turning the match around , at least territorially .

And of course the long range penalty goals from the same gentlemen . I can recall Slim Longbottom kicking one from inside his own half , all magnificent players in their own right . 'Tis a shame that facet of rugby league no longer exists as the crowds loved it .
Don't forget the balls were leather as well & when it rained they were twice as heavy but it didn't seem to faze them,especially Longbottom.

Gareth67

First Grade

Yes , they certainly were O.T. I often wonder if a present day coach would reintroduced them back into the game ? But in saying that , it always takes 2 fullbacks to Tango .
Don't forget the balls were leather as well & when it rained they were twice as heavy but it didn't seem to faze them,especially Longbottom.

blacksafake , as you say , leather and so much harder to kick . But Longbottom could still get his yardage from them ! Lumpy's build always reminded me of someone who had the misfortune (?) of being given the keys to a cellar of a pub overnight , only to lose a wrestling match with a keg of beer .

Nice bloke , yet another who passed on too early .

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
I use to love those kicking duels between the fullbacks and the crowd would go off. It was like good old fashion forcing back down the guts of the field, then Chang would decide to run and hit the afterburners with speed & step. How about when the fullbacks kicked to the sideline wingers whom never seemed to be blessed with the same kicking levels & it would breakdown. I still remember the fear in my belly when the ball went in the direction of Stan Gorton or Geoff Carr on the flanks. Even Chang had the look of "give it here or f**kin just run"

Gareth67

First Grade
I use to love those kicking duels between the fullbacks and the crowd would go off. It was like good old fashion forcing back down the guts of the field, then Chang would decide to run and hit the afterburners with speed & step. How about when the fullbacks kicked to the sideline wingers whom never seemed to be blessed with the same kicking levels & it would breakdown. I still remember the fear in my belly when the ball went in the direction of Stan Gorton or Geoff Carr on the flanks. Even Chang had the look of "give it here or f**kin just run"

Good ole Stanley ! He was so milky white and his hair was plastered down by Brycream or was it Californium Poppey ? Whatever , the bloke was a good winger for the club , although there were times when a man would break out in a cold sweat when an opposition forward came charging down at him . Scored his fair share of tries for the club as well , steady , without anything flashy .

Coffs dragon

Bench
Good ole Stanley ! He was so milky white and his hair was plastered down by Brycream or was it Californium Poppey ? Whatever , the bloke was a good winger for the club , although there were times when a man would break out in a cold sweat when an opposition forward came charging down at him . Scored his fair share of tries for the club as well , steady , without anything flashy .
Yes Gareth poor old Stanley use to get heckled by the Dragons fans for his look....Brlycream and comb in his socks look. He certainly played better than he looked and had some speed to burn....something our plodders lack these days.
Ah the good old days and Chang will be a legend forever.

denis preston

First Grade
Yes Gareth poor old Stanley use to get heckled by the Dragons fans for his look....Brlycream and comb in his socks look. He certainly played better than he looked and had some speed to burn....something our plodders lack these days.
Ah the good old days and Chang will be a legend forever.

I remember a game at Kogarah in the late 60's where Langlands ( playing centre ) received the ball near his line stepped in side than out drawing the centre , winger & fullback leaving Stanley unmarked for a 75 metre try not once but twice in one half ! stanley was bloody quick but that was about it. Scored 4 tries in one game against Norths.

Old Timer

Coach
I remember a game at Kogarah in the late 60's where Langlands ( playing centre ) received the ball near his line stepped in side than out drawing the centre , winger & fullback leaving Stanley unmarked for a 75 metre try not once but twice in one half ! stanley was bloody quick but that was about it. Scored 4 tries in one game against Norths.
Stan was the top try scorer in 68 with 22.
Saw him score one after the bell against the Berries at the Sports Ground an absolute pearler as he had to dodge kids running onto the field to get the corner post as the hooter had well and truly gone.
The whole team was yelling at Stan to run and some actually pointed to Stan which way he had to go. (run Forest run)
Stan was dogged by a bad knee injury which was sad because he was something to behold when he shimmied and shammied and then hit the gas peddle.
Almost an early "Chariots of Fire" he certainly had speed to burn.

Life's Good

Coach
I was away and missed most of these posts so it's been great to read your memories and thoughts on Langlands. A true giant of the game whose skills, talents and exploits spread across a number of generations.

In all of this though a couple of things stand out:
- I'm disappointed in the club for not making more of a noise about Langlands history and achievements
- Rothfield continues to be a d grade gutter writer(I cant call him a journalist)who trades on negativity and headline grabbing click bait. A real POS.

Gareth67

First Grade
I was away and missed most of these posts so it's been great to read your memories and thoughts on Langlands. A true giant of the game whose skills, talents and exploits spread across a number of generations.

In all of this though a couple of things stand out:
- I'm disappointed in the club for not making more of a noise about Langlands history and achievements
- Rothfield continues to be a d grade gutter writer(I cant call him a journalist)who trades on negativity and headline grabbing click bait. A real POS.

Life' Good , as to your last point , did you ever wonder what the husband of the old newspaper gossip columist ' Dear Del ' looked like ?

Last edited:

This Year?

Immortal
I loved hearing the stories from people who had seen Changa play. I wish I was alive during his playing days to witness it as well. I remember in the late 80's there was a brief period of teams kicking back and forth. Our game now is so structured now which is why whenever someone does something different and pulls it off its gets so much attention.

With Changa's passing an era of our club's heritage also passes unless generations of fans keep memories of his playing days alive. How lucky we were that you wore the red V.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Gareth
Stanley could play a whole game without getting his pants dirty.
But a great finisher

Gareth67

First Grade
No mate. I can’t say I’ve heard of the columnist. I’m now intrigued though.

The gal that I was referring to had a column in one of the papers , The Mirror or The Sun , I cannot recall which . In fact it may even had been one of the women's magazines of that time .

But naturally a lot of lonely or perhaps angry housewives would write to her , telling Dear Del about what a two timing s.o.a.b. their husbands were . Hell , some would even complain if poor hubby had a drink or two too many . Naturally Del would always come up with a practical solution to whatever the ailment may had been . I often wonder if my Ethel ever wrote to the hag , as she was always yakking on about her .

But to the point , I do believe that the ' editor at large ' more than fits the bill as to what Dear Del's husband would look like .

qld redvee

Juniors
Langlands Funeral 3pm Monday, 29 January 2018 at Woronora Cemetery, South Chapel
S.F. thanks for the heads up , I hope theres a sea of red and white to see this legend off
If i was still living in sydney Id be popping a sickie to go and show my respects..
Ill do the best I can and raise a glass in his memory
Like I said I hope he gets a great send off and condolences to the fanily