What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs and Maguire part ways

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Rabbitohs and Maguire part ways
South Sydney Rabbitohs | September 5 2017 6:37PM

The South Sydney Rabbitohs and Michael Maguire have agreed today to part company effective immediately.

Following a Board meeting today, the Club met with Michael and it was agreed that it was in the best interests of all parties that Michael's contract as Head Coach come to an end.

Rabbitohs General Manager of Football, Shane Richardson, said: "Michael helped deliver the premiership title in 2014 and for this we will always be indebted to him. He led us to the premiership victory, the 2015 Auckland Nines win and the 2015 World Club Challenge.

"However, we feel it's time for the Club to go along a different path in terms of the leadership of the team and the direction the team is taking, and they are the responsibilities of the Head Coach.

"Michael also feels it's in his best interest to head in a different direction in his coaching career.

"Michael is a great Head Coach and we believe he will go on to do a good job at another Club, but as I said, it's time for a change here at South Sydney.

"On behalf of the Club's Members we sincerely thank Michael for his efforts over the past six years. He will always be remembered as the Coach of our 21st premiership side, he helped bring this Club to a new level of professionalism, and we wish him and his family the best of luck for what lies ahead in his career and his family's future."

Michael Maguire joined the Rabbitohs for the 2012 season and coached 153 NRL games at South Sydney, the fourth-most in the Club's history.

http://leagueunlimited.com/news/30975-rabbitohs-and-maguire-part-ways/

flippikat

Bench
Word is that he's heading to the Superleague.

A shame, because he still has a lot to offer in the NRL - Bulldogs, Warriors or Titans could do with a coach of his ability.

I don't know which Super League club will be after a new coach. They all seem happy and there is no vacancy at this time. More likely that Michael McGuire will become an assistant coach to Geoff Toovey at Bradford Bulls in the British part timers' League 1 (3rd division).

Spot On

Coach
So will the new coach turn the roster over or is it just McGuire's inabilty to get a talented squad into the 8????

Rabbit toes

First Grade
On Oct 5 2014, Michael Maguire made my Rugby League dreams come true - dreams I never thought would come to fruition.

Thank you, Madge - you will always be a South Sydney Rabbitohs legend.

Disappointed right now.
Disappointed too but it had to happen. As shown by the club it was amicable and not a sacking. Point of view depending..

big hit!

Bench
sounds like it was handled fairly well.

definitely one year too long, IMO. souths needed the change at the end of last season. if you don't evolve, you get left behind which is what has happened to Souths under Maguire's coaching over the last 3 seasons....similar to Canterbury with Des. sure, Sam was missing last season and Inglis this season, but I don't think the play would have improved if he had both players available in 16/17.

He did a wonderful job leading the club to it's first premiership in over 40 years. Hopefully Souths move on with another up and comer.

OVP

Coach
I think he'd be a good fit for The Dogs and The Warriors. Dogs will probably go for Dymock or Pay tho imo. I don't see any coach being a good fit for the Titans.

What a laugh

Goodbye souffs you won't be missed at the pointy end

This is sacking Toovey levels of genius or sacking the Jimmy H levels of stupid

Where's manly and the niners been since sacking their great coaches

txta2

Bench
If reports are true about Crowe and his influence, the club wont get back to the top in a hurry. Next coach won't last long

Latest posts