What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

DiegoNT

First Grade
But that's the thing though at 800k Sam is irreplaceable. You don't get another player as good as Sam for 800k especially with the crazy prices people are asking for these days.
800k for this season is way to high for sam.
The prices people are comparing Sam to are the new deals being signed for future contracts on an expanded salary cap. E.g sam is 800k while taumololo is on $1m. But Sam's $800k is based off a lower 2016 cap while Taumololo's deal is from 2018 onwards on the higher cap.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
800k for this season is way to high for sam.
The prices people are comparing Sam to are the new deals being signed for future contracts on an expanded salary cap. E.g sam is 800k while taumololo is on $1m. But Sam's $800k is based off a lower 2016 cap while Taumololo's deal is from 2018 onwards on the higher cap.

Is it really though? Sam has basically carried our forward pack in almost every statistic.
Not only does he do the majority of tackling and running but he also never stops trying and has come up with the odd try. In addition you won't find a player who puts in as hard as Sam does week in week out and it's mostly because Sam loves the club.

I'm almost certain I've asked you this question before but how would you find a replacement for Sam at 800k? All the players I could think of would have asking prices much higher than 800k. Even if you could manage to lure someone like jack de belin to the club for say 600k he would still be in the same position as Sam carrying the rest of our forwards every week.

Spending the money on more average forwards isn't going to fix the problem either. You need marquee forwards. A perfect example is looking at the tigers and knights. Every single one of their forwards are pretty average. They are the only teams that you would count out of the finals as well. All of the top teams have marquee forwards that lead the pack. We would be doing much better if the Burgess twins were replaced but not Sam.

DiegoNT

First Grade
There's about a dozen forwards who could provide what sam currently provides, for equal or less price.

They would also come without the baggage that is the twins.

I'd prefer to keep sam.

But if come down to Sam and the twins or no Sam at all I'd lean towards the latter.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
There's about a dozen forwards who could provide what sam currently provides, for equal or less price.

I'd prefer to keep sam.

But if come down to Sam and the twins or no Sam at all I'd lean towards the latter.

I tend to disagree you would have to pay them overs to attract them to Souths.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I tend to disagree you would have to pay them overs to attract them to Souths.
Even paying overs there'd be a few we could get at Sam's price.
Here's the thing, even if we lost out a bit on Sams replacement, we'd make it back tenfold on the replacement for the twins

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
In other news Rochow is likely headed to the storm.

Even paying overs there'd be a few we could get at Sam's price.
Here's the thing, even if we lost out a bit on Sams replacement, we'd make it back tenfold on the replacement for the twins

I completely agree regarding the twins but I just can't see a replacement in the whole of the NRL. Especially one that loves Souths as much as Sam does.
Hang on! This well thought out and articulate conversation has no part in this forum. You two should be ashamed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It happens every now and
Then ;)

doyen

Bench
Sam is a tough nut with great stats as a "metre--eater" & a tackler but he is not the most skilful nut!!

I agree he is the ultimate trier & he loves Sths but he has those much maligned Burgi Butterfingers & lacks real ball-skills.
I believe he is a good leader as he carries the flag on-field with great muscle & purpose & sets a fine example.
But his stats are not winning us too many games which they probably would if he was a more complete & skilful player!!
Therefore,I'm not too sure he's worth $800k---to me he is just another prop,albiet a v/good one,playing in No.13!!

BTW,I absolutely hate that term "metre-eater"-----to me it is a synonym for "piss-poor forward with no skill."

truthslayer

Juniors
Is it really though? Sam has basically carried our forward pack in almost every statistic.
Not only does he do the majority of tackling and running but he also never stops trying and has come up with the odd try. In addition you won't find a player who puts in as hard as Sam does week in week out and it's mostly because Sam loves the club.

I'm almost certain I've asked you this question before but how would you find a replacement for Sam at 800k? All the players I could think of would have asking prices much higher than 800k. Even if you could manage to lure someone like jack de belin to the club for say 600k he would still be in the same position as Sam carrying the rest of our forwards every week.

Spending the money on more average forwards isn't going to fix the problem either. You need marquee forwards. A perfect example is looking at the tigers and knights. Every single one of their forwards are pretty average. They are the only teams that you would count out of the finals as well. All of the top teams have marquee forwards that lead the pack. We would be doing much better if the Burgess twins were replaced but not Sam.
I agree sam is worth every bit of money souths pay him. his brothers not so sure.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Sam is a tough nut with great stats as a "metre--eater" & a tackler but he is not the most skilful nut!!

I agree he is the ultimate trier & he loves Sths but he has those much maligned Burgi Butterfingers & lacks real ball-skills.
I believe he is a good leader as he carries the flag on-field with great muscle & purpose & sets a fine example.
But his stats are not winning us too many games which they probably would if he was a more complete & skilful player!!
Therefore,I'm not too sure he's worth $800k---to me he is just another prop,albiet a v/good one,playing in No.13!!

BTW,I absolutely hate that term "metre-eater"-----to me it is a synonym for "piss-poor forward with no skill."

I guess it depends how much value you put on 800k. I value 800k as what I see other players in the game get. Adam Reynolds 700k, Mitch Moses 600k, Corey Norman 800k, Aaron Woods 800k. There was an article that placed Sam 2nd in value for money. You'd be surprised by the amount that some stars get.

Rabbits20

Immortal
But that's the thing though at 800k Sam is irreplaceable. You don't get another player as good as Sam for 800k especially with the crazy prices people are asking for these days.
You're wasting your breath you know!!!!!...........

It's fine to say we could get 4-5 middle forwards instead of the Burgi but the thing is you can't replace Sam and not only that but we can't even attract 1 forward who is a solid first grade forward to the club!!!!

Rabbits20

Immortal

I'd prefer to keep sam.

I took you off ignore just for sheer lunacy and comedy and it's being provided so thank you!!!

Yes we can piss off the twins but you can't get rid of Sam. That'd be sheer lunacy!!!!!! Rusty won't let it happen!!!!!!

800k is a bargain for Sam.

GI being on a million is overs on the other hand.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
You're wasting your breath you know!!!!!...........

It's fine to say we could get 4-5 middle forwards instead of the Burgi but the thing is you can't replace Sam and not only that but we can't even attract 1 forward who is a solid first grade forward to the club!!!!

That's exactly how I feel. We need props to replace the twins but the club isn't attracting the right ones. That's exactly why I suggest moving Sam to prop just to strengthen the area up if we're not gonna recruit anymore props.

Rabbits20

Immortal
That's exactly how I feel. We need props to replace the twins but the club isn't attracting the right ones. That's exactly why I suggest moving Sam to prop just to strengthen the area up if we're not gonna recruit anymore props.
I get what you're saying but I'm doubtful Murray is more than a bench player at this stage.

If we bought Guerra and played him at lock I'd have been happy for Sam to play prop.

Only problem is the Knights recruiting team aren't stupid and have already got Guerra.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Comparing sam to gi has a huge flaw.

Name one player who can do what GI can.

Now name all the players who can do what Burgess can.
Gallen, mcguire,Vaughan, Bromwich, taumololo, fifita etc.

Like i said, I'd rather keep sam. But he is replaceable.

If losing sam is the cost of replacing the twins then i think it's worth it.

The arguement that we have to keep sam because he does everything is actually part of my arguement. If keeping sam means we have to keep the twins and pay huge amount for 2 players who contribute next to nothing then that extra sam does means nothing.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Comparing sam to gi has a huge flaw.

Name one player who can do what GI can.

Now name all the players who can do what Burgess can.
Gallen, mcguire,Vaughan, Bromwich, taumololo, fifita etc.

Like i said, I'd rather keep sam. But he is replaceable.

If losing sam is the cost of replacing the twins then i think it's worth it.

The arguement that we have to keep sam because he does everything is actually part of my arguement. If keeping sam means we have to keep the twins and pay huge amount for 2 players who contribute next to nothing then that extra sam does means nothing.
I actually don't think it has a huge flaw actually.

When GI was in his prime he was worth his money but now he's got such a crooked knee that it seems he could be spending more time off the field than on. Also it's a possibility GI could play at centre next season and paying a player 1million for centre is overs imo!!!!

I don't rate Jesse Bromwich in the same class as Sam. I don't think he has the same impact!!! He has some inconsistencies. Also I don't think McGuire comes close to the work rate Sam does.

Vaughan also has had a breakout season but can he keep up the consistency for seasons on end like Sam has????

I do put Sam in a similar class to Gallen though. Both are inspirational to their sides and have won a premiership and if they weren't in their sides both sides wouldn't have won the comp.

On Fifita I am yet to see him be consistent for seasons on end. Yes he is going great currently but his concentration and discipline can seem to waver at times. I'd take Sam any day over Fifita.

If you look at locks currently Taumalolo would be the elite one no contest. Hence he deserves 1 mil. 800k for Sam is about right.

Like Souths til I die said look what other players get. Some are getting more than Sam that aren't necessarily better!!!!!!!

The twins are on overs currently but imo Sam isn't.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Just Imagine for a second that Joel Reddy and Talaki were GI's brothers.

They were paid huge contracts to be in our run on side. Their huge contracts mean we couldn't buy many others in their position, so AJ is off playing good football at the eels.

They are playing crap football but are immune to being dropped.

Now The rumour is that if you got rid if Talaki and Reddy then GI may walk.

Now in that Situation I'd prefer to keep GI. But if swapping GI for let's say a fullback like dugan, Good fullback but obviously not in GIs class, meant we traded Reddy for someone like fergo and Talaki for latrell Mitchell then it's at least worth a look

Rabbits20

Immortal
Souths til I die a prop like Ofehengaue would be good for us.

He's really coming on this season at Brisbane.

In a team that got flogged last night off the bench he made 12 for 121m.

The week before he made 13 for 131m.

Now I know he doesn't always make that many metres but he's got the potential to go bigger than what Turner, Tyrrell and Clark can. FACT......

As I previously said a player like Guerra would've been good at lock meaning we could move Sam to prop.

Also a player in the mould of Leeson Ah Mau would be good for us. Just a hard working no nonsense prop who gets it done.

Latest posts