What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radio Coveraage on 2GB.

Do you like the Rugby League Coverage on 2GB?

• Yes, Its Great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Its Stupid

• I don't care.

• Total voters

roosterboy60

Juniors
There has been many people angry at 2GB's Radio Coverage now its time to give the fans there say. I'll be running a Poll of the next week and I want to see what your answers are.

kaon

Juniors
I can't stand the 2gb rugby league coverage since Hadley and his goons took over. The biggest reason why is they think that they are bigger than the game and supporters. It might get the ratings because it's aimed at the lowest common denominator but for anyone with half a brain, it's definitely worth a miss.

What also pisses me of is that the ABC covers the AFL on sat afternoons.

legend

Coach
I think 2GB do a deplorable job of covering the footy. They call a whopping two games a weekend which is disgraceful.

When Wilko, Gibbs and Brohman were on GB every game was given coverage, even the ones in N.Z. Now we get fragmented coverage on a Saturday arvo and from 7.30 on, nothing.

Was this the NRL's grand vision for awarding the radio rights to one carrier?

The broadcast rights should go to the highest bidder which would allow them to cover whatever games they like but other stations like 2UE and 2SM should be able to pick up the scraps and as it stands now, they'd be calling more games than 2GB.

It's a joke!

roosterboy60

Juniors
legend said:

When Wilko, Gibbs and Brohman were on GB every game was given coverage, even the ones in N.Z. Now we get fragmented coverage on a Saturday arvo and from 7.30 on, nothing.

I agree Wilko and Co did a great job I meet them once and I saw them call a game and they were the best.

legend

Coach
I don't think Wilko was the best caller but the coverage was far superior to the trash we are dished up now.

I don't care about the egos of Messers Hadley, Frilingos and co. I want the best footy coverage possible and they aren't giving us that. Surely the NRL can revoke the rights if they feel the coverage is not up to contractual standards.

iggy plop

First Grade
We shouldn't let this issue go away. I challenge anyone to listen to the Continuous Call crap and tell me that it's good for the game.

I think all fans disgusted with the current radio coverage should let their feelings be known to things like the NRL, rugby league publications and 2GB itself.

Hadley's garbage should be an alternative not the only choice (particularly on saturdays).

midas

Juniors
IMO the tragic part is that Hadley and his crew actually think they,re funny and judging by the ratings figures,quite a lot of people find them funny,which is a worry.I guess they are trying to reproduce a radio version of The Footy Show which covers everything except footy and still rates it,s head off.Doesn,t do much for fans who simply want to listen to match coverage.
The NRL should be concerned that they have awarded the exclusive rights to a broadcaster whose only interest is self-promotion and the exclusion of other broadcasters from the market.
David Gallop should be explaining why this situation is allowed to exist.

iggy plop

First Grade
The funniest thing Hadley has come out recently was saying that he was glad that he wasn't included in any part of the new best of the Footy Show DVD. He said that was the lowest point of his professional career and he virtually bagging the show for it's poor humour and general content.

He can talk!!!! What a hypocrite.

Ultima

Juniors
I made the mistake of turning over to it once.... I'm still trying to forget that nightmare... Most of the time I catch games on Fox (and their commentary crews aren't much better) but if for whatever reason I can't I listen to ABCs coverage... They talk about the GAME and really off the planet stuff like FOOTBALL in the football shows... What will these crazy ABC people think of next? A current affairs show with something current and useful on it (maybe that is asking a bit much from modern TV/radio)?

Aries

Bench
Could I give a word of advice about this thread...

THIS is the thread that RAY mentioned he had removed from rleague...

There were over 160 votes on it, and 75% said they didn't like his program. However, it was these comments attached to the POLL that he took offence too, so I suggest you limit your comments to genuine critism of the 2GB call and not make slanderous comments of Ray himself, OR, this thread and FORUM may go the same way as rleague has ;-)

Just a friendly tip people, as I have first hand knowledge about all of this stuff going down atm!! :?

Ultima

Juniors
I'm fairly certain everyone is aware of that... Frankly he can sue me... I can't see how a comment of a forum stating ones opinion to a very limited audience of whom 90% won't read what I write anyway gives grounds for slander in the first place... If he wants to spend the money on lawers and get another 60 second of fame he can knock himself out... However this is very off topic so lets back to bagging his show instead...

ABC Grandstand > All other Football on Radio.

Aries

Bench
And dont forget Matty Johns and Cameron Williams on Sports Saturday http://www.sportsaturday.com.au From midday to 5:30pm ;-)

Thats 1269 2SM for those in Sydney, and regional feeds can be found on that site under "hear us" for NSW and Southern QLD.

iggy plop

First Grade
Look, this is genuine criticism of a bloke and his show that in my opinion does nothing for the great game of rugby league. This is a forum where we can let our views be known on important topics and as an avid listener to league on the radio, this subject is very important to me.

The baggings of Ray here are no different to the repetitive and unfair baggings he hands out to players, match officials and coaches. None of my posts have been personal and they never will be.

We are surly entitled to criticise something that we don't think is right in the game.

I am more disgusted with the NRL for allowing exclusive rights than I am with Hadley and 2GB for the rubbish they produce. I wouldn't give a rats what 2GB did with their football show if other commercial stations were justly given permission to broadcast the game.

It's just another case of the NRL handing other codes a free kick.

iggy plop

First Grade
I just want a league show that actually focusses on the game and not the people on the panel. Their show is more about "chippy", "bozo" and the other than the actual football. Last Saturday they continually repeated ridiculous Terry Hill songs and spoke about Sironen's donuts and WD40 for most of the show. After living in Melbourne and listening to their VARIOUS radio stations cover the AFL, rubbish such as this seems criminal when it's virtually the only league show on, particularly on Saturdays. They also spend too much time on useless emails which are usually shallow little affairs like "Ray can you play the Bozo song again?" So of course Ray puts it on while the panel have another big bludge off air and the league fan is left wondering why?

Speaking of bludging, the non-broadcasting of a 7.30pm game on Saturday nights is totally wrong when this mob have paid money to become sole rights holders.

I challenge David Gallop to once explain to us how this is good for the game.

Aries

Bench
iggy plop said:
Look, this is genuine criticism of a bloke and his show that in my opinion does nothing for the great game of rugby league. This is a forum where we can let our views be known on important topics and as an avid listener to league on the radio, this subject is very important to me.

The baggings of Ray here are no different to the repetitive and unfair baggings he hands out to players, match officials and coaches. None of my posts have been personal and they never will be.

We are surly entitled to criticise something that we don't think is right in the game.

I am more disgusted with the NRL for allowing exclusive rights than I am with Hadley and 2GB for the rubbish they produce. I wouldn't give a rats what 2GB did with their football show if other commercial stations were justly given permission to broadcast the game.

It's just another case of the NRL handing other codes a free kick.

Couldn't agree more with everything you said iggy...

Ray himself said that he can take critisim, and thats not what he complained about. It was the out right degrogatory attacks on him personally that he took offence to. All I'm saying is dont start calling him a C*** etc... or talk about his personal life or family members... the rest is open game.

I'm not saying anyone has said anything wrong on this thread yet. I'm just pointing out that THESE comments that were attached to the poll on rleague were what he took offence to and mentioned he asked matt0 to remove, and there were some shockers there ;-)

Aries

Bench
iggy plop said:
I just want a league show that actually focusses on the game and not the people on the panel. Their show is more about "chippy", "bozo" and the other than the actual football. Last Saturday they continually repeated ridiculous Terry Hill songs and spoke about Sironen's donuts and WD40 for most of the show. After living in Melbourne and listening to their VARIOUS radio stations cover the AFL, rubbish such as this seems criminal when it's virtually the only league show on, particularly on Saturdays. They also spend too much time on useless emails which are usually shallow little affairs like "Ray can you play the Bozo song again?" So of course Ray puts it on while the panel have another big bludge off air and the league fan is left wondering why?

Speaking of bludging, the non-broadcasting of a 7.30pm game on Saturday nights is totally wrong when this mob have paid money to become sole rights holders.

I challenge David Gallop to once explain to us how this is good for the game.

Do you still live in Melbourne?
If not, I strongly suggest you listen to the show I gave a link to, called saturday sports. It's about ALL sports but has a heavy content of RL and is all RL after 4:00pm with big Dazza joining them...

iggy plop

First Grade
Don't worry champ I already listen to that one. It's great after 4 o clock when big D joins in and they talk only league. I do miss the mob from 2ue last year. They were great. I think Greg Radley had great potential as a league caller.

82notout

Juniors
All I can say is if you don't like 2GB's coverage don't listern to them it is as simple as that. Listern to the ABC.

iggy plop

First Grade
Mate it's not as simple as that, especially when you want to follow your club. For starters the ABC is only on Sundays and doesn't always cover games on Sat night. I agree that Wazza and Morrow are great, but the ABC do mix a lot of general sport in their league coverage which leaves you moving up the dial.

What about the days when a few stations would call it and you could listen to the topic or game that suited you.

It's about choice.