What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
deluded adj (pron. de-lu-did). Justin Pascoe. see illustration below
Wests Tigers to impose deadline on 'big four', as CEO declares 'we won't be held to ransom by anyone'
Adrian Proszenko
Published: March 25, 2017 - 10:00PM

Wests Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe says the club will be imposing a deadline on its "big four" stars to re-sign with the club, declaring "we won't be held to ransom by anyone".

The Tigers have sacked coach Jason Taylor just three weeks into the season, the latest drama following the Tim Simona scandal and the controversial departure of fan favourite Robbie Farah last year.

Taylor's sacking will have implications on the futures of the club's four best players, the off-contract quartet of Mitchell Moses, James Tedesco, Luke Brooks and Aaron Woods. Those players are likely to wait for the appointment of a new head coach before deciding whether to remain at Concord or continue their careers elsewhere.

In a wide-ranging interview, Pascoe revealed the formulation of a "plan B" should the quartet depart, the reasons for punting Taylor so early in the season and why the club wouldn't have changed its decision to release Farah from his contract a year early.

D-DAY LOOMS FOR BIG FOUR

The Tigers tabled contract extensions for Brooks, Tedesco, Moses and Woods before the start of the season. But uncertainty over Taylor's tenure has been one of the reasons they remain unsigned.

Taylor has now been sacked and his replacement could be in place within a fortnight, giving all parties clarity on the issue. Yet if the Tigers' young stars continue to deliberate, the club will play hard ball and withdraw the offers while there are alternative options still on the open market.

"It's always club first," Pascoe said. "We're mindful of the time frame, as any club would be. We have to make sure we come to an agreement with their management at some stage sooner rather than later that we're either all here or not. We haven't discussed a time frame or timeline with their management at this stage. But it's recognised that we will have to put some time frames around it.

"It's our responsibility to have a plan B, it's as simple as that. And we've got plan Bs in place."

Pascoe stressed the preference was to ensure the big four remained Tigers for life.

"Internally, we don't reference them as the 'big four' – they are four players of a top 25," he said.

"I couldn't be more complimentary of each of those four players. They are terrific young men, they are highly talented and we value them and would obviously love them to stay at this club. We're doing everything in our power to make sure that happens."

Pascoe said the new coach would have input on the future of the quartet, should they not re-sign before his arrival.

"The coach needs to have an involvement in the retention and recruitment of players," he said. "It won't change in this instance either."

AGENT PROVOCATEUR

There have been concerns that player manager Isaac Moses wields too much influence at Wests Tigers. Moses manages the four young stars, interim coach Andrew Webster and a prospective head coach in Cowboys assistant Todd Payten. Moses is also close friends with Joe Wehbe, a mentor to the quartet who was sounded out about a permanent position on the Tigers staff.

Pascoe said no individual would be allowed to have undue influence over the club.

"I and the board won't allow this club to be held to ransom by anyone," Pascoe said.

"We are a strong club and our job is to build a winning culture for our supporters and players and to create that environment.

"We won't be held to ransom by anyone. From our perspective, we are having positive discussions with their management.

"The appointment of the coach is a decision we made as a club. If the players and management want to wait until a coach is appointed, that's their decision."

FARAH GONE … AND NOW SO IS TAYLOR

The Tigers back Taylor's decision to squeeze Farah out of the club … and then sacked Taylor just three games into the new season.

The Tigers – who are still paying $750,000 of Farah's wage to play at South Sydney – are now on the lookout for a new coach, with Ivan Cleary the favourite to take over. Pascoe defended the timing of Taylor's sacking.

"Firstly, it's not that we made a decision on three games – it's two-and-a-half years into a three-year contract," Pascoe said.

"This club has always been about making hard decisions to really ensure we have an environment where our supporters look forward to us playing finals football.

"The timing is never going to be perfect in these decision-making processes, but we wanted to give Jason full support over the off-season heading into this season. This season, as he was always aware, was performance based. We as an organisation believed there hadn't been improvement from last year.

"We will not let another season slide away or drift away again. The fact is, we have lost four of our last six games by over 30 points, so improvement was needed. We believed we weren't seeing that so we made a decision. It was a hard decision that will put this club into a better chance of playing finals football."

Asked if, in hindsight, Farah should have been retained, Pascoe said: "No. The Robbie Farah one and Jason Taylor one are totally separate issues.

"The decision to move Robbie on was a decision made last year, it's a list management decision. The decision to move Jason Taylor on was a performance decision based on where the team is."

BEST SPORTING ORGANISATION IN AUSTRALIA

The Tigers have made the finals just three times in 16 years, have churned through their third coach in five years and are still reeling from the Farah and Simona scandals. However, Pascoe is bullish about the club's aim of becoming the No.1 sporting franchise in Australian sport.

"Our intention is to play finals football this year, that's why we continue to make the hard decisions," he said. "Our intention is to play finals football every single year. This is a really unified board and we have a clear vision around making sure this becomes the best sporting organisation in Australia.

"We're not going to deviate from that vision. We've improved commercially over the past two years, we have record membership levels and our apparel value is the highest it's ever been.

"We continue to enrich the lives of many with the community work we do. We're not shying away from the fact we want to be the best sporting organisation in Australia."

NO BASKET CASE

The Tigers board, chair Marina Go and Pascoe himself have come under fire for Taylor's sacking and their handling of player contract negotiations.

"People who aren't within the organisation will have opinions on the decisions we're making," Pascoe said.

"We as an organisation are very confident we're making the right decisions. As a board, I can tell you in working closely with them, that it is operating in unity and only have one thing in mind and that's the best interests of the Wests Tigers.

"You need a level of resilience in this job and we are very comfortable that what we're doing internally is the right thing. We're not going to deviate from that vision."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...held-to-ransom-by-anyone-20170325-gv6cp6.html

simmo05

Bench
Best sporting organisation in australia? He must have been hitting the glass barbie pretty hard for that statment. Its better than the tigers becoming the manchester united of australia. What a knob

simmo05

Bench
There was an article this morning about the gun, the decent prop and the 2 shit merkins all going to the doggies. Can remember what site though

Tiger05

First Grade
I liked what he stated.

This comments though showed me exactly whey Taylor had to go.
The Tigers – who are still paying $750,000 of Farah's wage to play at South Sydney

That is crazy stuff. We'd be a better team if Robbie was here and to let him go and pay that much of his salary is just plain dumb.

On the positive side surely we would have had to push him out at the end of this season. That whole debacle though was just Taylor having an ego trip.

Last edited:

Tiger Woody

Juniors
Best sporting organisation in australia? He must have been hitting the glass barbie pretty hard for that statment. Its better than the tigers becoming the manchester united of australia. What a knob

Seriously this Pascoe guy has to go as well..He has no idea..
He should be in marketing spinning this garbage.,not management..
He must think we Tigers supporters are all dummies.

Tiger Woody

Juniors
There was an article this morning about the gun, the decent prop and the 2 shit merkins all going to the doggies. Can remember what site though

i cant believe that..
if we sign Teddy,i dont care about the rest...
They all can be replaced easily..Teddy cannot

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Kevin Naiqama off-contract but happy for attention to be on Wests Tigers 'big four'
Chris Barrett
Published: March 29, 2017 - 5:23PM

They are the forgotten Tigers. The dozen or more players who are off-contract at the end of the season at Concord but don't qualify for membership of the so-called "big four".

As the club and the league world, and now Ivan Cleary, sweat on whether James Tedesco, Aaron Woods, Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks will stay or go, there are a long list of others whose futures are yet to be determined.

Among them are Matt Ballin, Michael Chee-Kam, Tim Grant, Jamal Idris, Jack Littlejohn, Kyle Lovett, Matt McIlwrick, David Nofoaluma, Ava Seumanufagai and Kevin Naiqama.

Yet while the team's most high-profile quartet has been the subject of relentless headlines and speculation, the other off-contract Tigers have barely rated a mention.

For Naiqama, who played under incoming Tigers head coach Cleary at Penrith, that is the way he likes it. That being said, though, he wants to stay at a club that gave him an opportunity when they were few and far between at the Panthers.

"It's a good club. I'd love to stay here. I only grew up down the road and in regards to being close to family and stuff it's ideal," the Tigers centre said ahead of their round-five match against St George Illawarra. "But I can't control that, all I can control is what I do on the field."

Naiqama, 28, is happy for Tedesco and Co to be dominating attention on the marketplace.

"To be honest, it really doesn't bother me. If anything it would probably put more pressure on myself if they wanted to talk all about that stuff," he said.

"I actually haven't thought about it too much. My commitment is here with the club and all I can do is focus on what I can do and helping the team.

"I sort of keep myself busy outside of football so when I come here I'm fresh and ready to go."

Naiqama is talking about an apprenticeship in carpentry he has begun, along with stand-in Tigers halfback Littlejohn, at TAFE NSW in Randwick.

As serviceable a first-grader as he is, Naiqama won't be seeing the seven-figure contracts that several of his teammates will likely secure and is looking ahead to life after football.

"I'm going to start working with [a carpenter] as well on my days off just to get a bit of experience," he said. "[It's about] life after football and also just to get a balance so it's not all about football. It took me a couple of years to figure out what I wanted."

If that shapes as Naiqama's next career, in his current one he already has an association with Cleary, who will be announced shortly as Jason Taylor's full-time successor.

He played only eight games in 2014 for the Panthers when Cleary was in charge there, and all on the wing, but was left very impressed by the coach despite having departed due to limited opportunities.

"I didn't play much footy that first year under him. Nothing against him but he had the luxury of great depth in the squad, and also they had the success of the under-20s that won the grand final [in 2013] coming through as well," Naiqama said.

"But in regards to his coaching, he's real smart, definitely got a brain for the game. If he came here it'd be good. I've obviously got a relationship from before."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...on-wests-tigers-big-four-20170329-gv95qp.html

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Tim Simona charged with obtaining benefit by deception over dealings with charities
Chris Barrett
Published: March 29, 2017 - 5:59PM

Banned indefinitely by the NRL for betting on games, former Wests Tigers centre Tim Simona will appear in court next month after being charged by police over an alleged scheme in which he auctioned off football jerseys in the name of charity.

The latest chapter of Simona's sad tale began on Wednesday when he was arrested by police in Macquarie Fields and charged with obtaining benefit by deception.

The 25-year-old will face claims of ripping off two charities, Camp Quality and the Sharlz Taki Foundation, by withholding money raised through his online auctions of signed jerseys.

The Samoan international has moved to provide reimbursement to the charities by sending a $5000 cheque to Camp Quality's headquarters at Epping. But the NSW Police Organised Crime Squad swooped after evidence of Simona's alleged charity rort was uncovered during an NRL integrity unit investigation.

A police spokesman said: "A 25-year-old man was arrested in Macquarie Fields on Wednesday morning, charged with obtain benefit by deception. He was granted bail and due to appear at Campbelltown Local Court on 18 April."

Simona this month confessed to the charity scam, while also admitting to gambling and drug problems. It is claimed that he would take Tigers jumpers to the club's base at Concord Oval and leave them outside the dressing room for players to sign before placing them for auction on social media.

"I'm so ashamed of what I've done," Simona told News Ltd. "It shows how low you'll go to get money. One jersey turned into five jerseys which turned into like eight, nine jerseys. There are no excuses. All I can do is give them the money when I get back on my feet."

Simona was effectively rubbed out of the game for life, principally for placing 65 bets on the NRL last season including on opposition players. But in handing down the penalty to Simona, NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg made it clear that he was also dismayed at a player keeping funds that had been raised in the name of charity.

"All I can tell you is that he was putting forward opportunities to sell jerseys and putting that money to charities, and that money did not go to the charities," Greenberg said at the time.

"I personally feel sick in the stomach when I hear something like that. That's abhorrent."

It is understood police were also probing whether Simona's former partner Jaya Taki, who runs the Sharlz Taki Foundation and who was central to the NRL's investigation, played any part in the jersey scheme. She has vehemently denied she had ever taken money from charity in an interview with Fairfax Media, saying "heat-of-the-moment fights, jokes and banter" contained in Whatsapp messages between herself and Simona "have become headline news and taken wildly out of context, including this 'scam'".

Camp Quality chief Kylea Tink confirmed last week that Simona had delivered a $5000 cheque to the charity in a bid to begin to make amends. It was unclear if that covered all of the money that he raised through online auctions but did not pass on.

"We didn't know that Tim was fundraising on our behalf so we don't have visibility on how much money was collected through that process," Tink said. "From our perspective it's a really sad thing that's happened. A player with enormous potential who has made a bad decision. It's a really timely reminder for people if they want to get involved in any charity it's really important that they work directly with the charity.

"He has voiced his very sincere regret and has kind of said he's dealing with his own demons and he's not making excuses for himself but he's keen to make amends."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-dealings-with-charities-20170329-gv8x4w.html

Tiger Woody

Juniors
Kevin Naiqama off-contract but happy for attention to be on Wests Tigers 'big four'
Chris Barrett
Published: March 29, 2017 - 5:23PM

They are the forgotten Tigers. The dozen or more players who are off-contract at the end of the season at Concord but don't qualify for membership of the so-called "big four".

As the club and the league world, and now Ivan Cleary, sweat on whether James Tedesco, Aaron Woods, Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks will stay or go, there are a long list of others whose futures are yet to be determined.

Among them are Matt Ballin, Michael Chee-Kam, Tim Grant, Jamal Idris, Jack Littlejohn, Kyle Lovett, Matt McIlwrick, David Nofoaluma, Ava Seumanufagai and Kevin Naiqama.

Yet while the team's most high-profile quartet has been the subject of relentless headlines and speculation, the other off-contract Tigers have barely rated a mention.

For Naiqama, who played under incoming Tigers head coach Cleary at Penrith, that is the way he likes it. That being said, though, he wants to stay at a club that gave him an opportunity when they were few and far between at the Panthers.

"It's a good club. I'd love to stay here. I only grew up down the road and in regards to being close to family and stuff it's ideal," the Tigers centre said ahead of their round-five match against St George Illawarra. "But I can't control that, all I can control is what I do on the field."

Naiqama, 28, is happy for Tedesco and Co to be dominating attention on the marketplace.

"To be honest, it really doesn't bother me. If anything it would probably put more pressure on myself if they wanted to talk all about that stuff," he said.

"I actually haven't thought about it too much. My commitment is here with the club and all I can do is focus on what I can do and helping the team.

"I sort of keep myself busy outside of football so when I come here I'm fresh and ready to go."

Naiqama is talking about an apprenticeship in carpentry he has begun, along with stand-in Tigers halfback Littlejohn, at TAFE NSW in Randwick.

As serviceable a first-grader as he is, Naiqama won't be seeing the seven-figure contracts that several of his teammates will likely secure and is looking ahead to life after football.

"I'm going to start working with [a carpenter] as well on my days off just to get a bit of experience," he said. "[It's about] life after football and also just to get a balance so it's not all about football. It took me a couple of years to figure out what I wanted."

If that shapes as Naiqama's next career, in his current one he already has an association with Cleary, who will be announced shortly as Jason Taylor's full-time successor.

He played only eight games in 2014 for the Panthers when Cleary was in charge there, and all on the wing, but was left very impressed by the coach despite having departed due to limited opportunities.

"I didn't play much footy that first year under him. Nothing against him but he had the luxury of great depth in the squad, and also they had the success of the under-20s that won the grand final [in 2013] coming through as well," Naiqama said.

"But in regards to his coaching, he's real smart, definitely got a brain for the game. If he came here it'd be good. I've obviously got a relationship from before."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...on-wests-tigers-big-four-20170329-gv95qp.html

Tiger Woody

Juniors

Well you better practice your carpentry Grace Jones
No way any decent coach would want your poor defence.

Among them are Matt Ballin, Michael Chee-Kam, Tim Grant, Jamal Idris, Jack Littlejohn,Kyle Lovett, Matt McIlwrick, David Nofoaluma, Ava Seumanufagai and Kevin Naiqama.

Sweep out the ones in bold as well..

BrotherJim05

Bench
What I'm worried about is that the offers we have tabled Brooks and Moses were made before season started. Given Moses form and popularity he will be commanding a huge salary. I hope Pascoe is using this as a way to pull the offers off the table and put smaller ones back on.

Tigerm

First Grade
What I'm worried about is that the offers we have tabled Brooks and Moses were made before season started. Given Moses form and popularity he will be commanding a huge salary. I hope Pascoe is using this as a way to pull the offers off the table and put smaller ones back on.
I am not sure what his role is, but wont the GM Egan be responsible for the hiring & firing?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Naiqama seems a nice bloke, but I groan every week that I see his name picked in the team...

Amazes me that someone with those defensive deficiencies has played 70 games of NRL ...

Looks like he wasnt an automatic selection under Cleary in Penrith so maybe some changes might be on the horizon...

Tiger Ted

Bench
Naiqama seems a nice bloke, but I groan every week that I see his name picked in the team...

Amazes me that someone with those defensive deficiencies has played 70 games of NRL ...

Looks like he wasnt an automatic selection under Cleary in Penrith so maybe some changes might be on the horizon...
No surprise that 51 of his NRL games have been played with this pathetic club.Where the f**k else would this halfwit who has zero understanding of the basics of defence b playing in NRL?

To think that Milone the most inept impostor to have played NRL is in our state cup team & a backup centre says it all re the depths we've plumbed re recruitment & retention.This is a club awash with degenerates!!

Yeah, so what, he's a winger and we don't keep wingers...........do we?

His problem was his size, speed and overall ability.

Why retain him when we can keep someone with no size, no speed and no ability>

Rankin, he's our man !!!

Latest posts