What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd14: Eels v Bulldogs GAME DAY THREAD @ Accor Stadium 13/6/22

TheRam

Coach
Not sure if you watched reserve grade but the bit of saw of Rein he was horrid. He went down the blind side on the second tackle and threw the ball into row 2. Then we had the opposition stretched he tries to barge over from dummy half and gets held up and we lose all our momentum. Reed was shit today but Rein isn't the answer.

The way I saw yesterday was that the rot has permeated through the entire club. The game plan and the way we play as a team in both grades is dumb and unimaginative. Players just stand around way to much and seem to not know what they should be doing with the ball way to much. A lot of dead men and zombies in the frame that the opposition don't have to worry about. I won't even bother with defensive structures other then to say we don't have any and they don't know what a shoulder is.

Contrast that with well drilled and coached sides where on nearly every play each player is in position and in motion making themselves a possible threat and target that the defense has to be aware of or pay a price.

We are a badly coached club from the top down. If something isn't done about it very, very soon we will regress to the really bad old days and find ourselves at the foot of the ladder real quick which will be very hard to get out of and probably take years to do so once again.

It looks like the Dogs or the Tigers will end up with Ciraldo, so we won't get the chance to sign him. Oh well we can't do much about it since our club can't smell the sh*t and keep re-signing a bog average coach.

I hope though that when that sh*t is right up and under their noses and they gag on the stench that Flanagan is still available and that they sign him. He is a strong coach who has won a premiership. Can attract players to a club(something that Maguire really couldn't do) knows how to manage players and is loved by his players and he really is a quality development coach. He ticks all the right boxes. Sure he has had those indiscretion, but he also has probably learnt a valuable lesson or two there and anyway isn't he entitled to a another chance? I mean he has done his time already. It's not like he murdered anyone.

I would sack BA right now if I had the power and instate Flano immediately. Being a seasoned premiership coach I think that the boys, even though initially shocked, would respond very favourably and actually start to play with a new zeal and freedom and who knows then what September will bring? He may quickly rejig a few things and find a way to get these boys, that do have talent, to release it and show it more consistently. They just seem so tired of the same old, same old and stale. A new voice and ideas might be just the tonic we need to get this show back on the road.

But that ain't the Parra way, we like to hit rock freakin bottom before we do our usual knee jerk reaction move and then probably hire that other bald plodder merkin Paul McGregor, because our board will tell us he has been doing a stellar job in his assistants roll with the boys and that he is a proven winner with immeasurable experience in his long and illustrious career thus far and that he is the man that they believe will carry us all the way to premiership glory.

Yeah hooray us!!!

Cloeel

Juniors
The way I saw yesterday was that the rot has permeated through the entire club. The game plan and the way we play as a team in both grades is dumb and unimaginative. Players just stand around way to much and seem to not know what they should be doing with the ball way to much. A lot of dead men and zombies in the frame that the opposition don't have to worry about. I won't even bother with defensive structures other then to say we don't have any and they don't know what a shoulder is.

Contrast that with well drilled and coached sides where on nearly every play each player is in position and in motion making themselves a possible threat and target that the defense has to be aware of or pay a price.

We are a badly coached club from the top down. If something isn't done about it very, very soon we will regress to the really bad old days and find ourselves at the foot of the ladder real quick which will be very hard to get out of and probably take years to do so once again.

It looks like the Dogs or the Tigers will end up with Ciraldo, so we won't get the chance to sign him. Oh well we can't do much about it since our club can't smell the sh*t and keep re-signing a bog average coach.

I hope though that when that sh*t is right up and under their noses and they gag on the stench that Flanagan is still available and that they sign him. He is a strong coach who has won a premiership. Can attract players to a club(something that Maguire really couldn't do) knows how to manage players and is loved by his players and he really is a quality development coach. He ticks all the right boxes. Sure he has had those indiscretion, but he also has probably learnt a valuable lesson or two there and anyway isn't he entitled to a another chance? I mean he has done his time already. It's not like he murdered anyone.

I would sack BA right now if I had the power and instate Flano immediately. Being a seasoned premiership coach I think that the boys, even though initially shocked, would respond very favourably and actually start to play with a new zeal and freedom and who knows then what September will bring? He may quickly rejig a few things and find a way to get these boys, that do have talent, to release it and show it more consistently. They just seem so tired of the same old, same old and stale. A new voice and ideas might be just the tonic we need to get this show back on the road.

But that ain't the Parra way, we like to hit rock freakin bottom before we do our usual knee jerk reaction move and then probably hire that other bald plodder merkin Paul McGregor, because our board will tell us he has been doing a stellar job in his assistants roll with the boys and that he is a proven winner with immeasurable experience in his long and illustrious career thus far and that he is the man that they believe will carry us all the way to premiership glory.

Yeah hooray us!!!

I would be surprised is Ciraldo leaves Penrith tbh

I don't think he will be at either the Bulldogs or Tigers

Noise

Coach
744527D0-D11A-40FA-9005-05931E293767.jpeg
*2018 we were last, so not sure where we were when played the cowboys??

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
So the coach is not accountable? Thought RCG played well. Paulo I agree was off but he’s been off for a while now.

RCG needs to stop mouthing off to players in tackles like he has been doing of late including SOO and go back to running hard and making all his tackles. He has been losing focus and he needs to go back to doing what he does best.

TheRam

Coach
I dont often post much about the coaches impact on a game (win or lose) because to be honest, I dont think week to week preparation changes much, except where relevant to specific teams we are playing. So for me, wins and losses are actually more as a the result of the performance put in by the players who are executing on the day.

Take Lane for example. Only he decided to be lazy on the days when he is. And not on the days when he isnt. He isnt coached to do that. Same goes for Moses deciding to put the ball down one-handed. That was his choice.

So if the coach has good enough preparation methods to get us up for wins against the top teams, then those methods should be good enough against the weaker teams. When you lose a game like we did today, it wasnt about a lucky or unlucky bounce, or about a bad ref call, or a freaky intercept play, it was about individual players who are supposedly professional, deciding for whatever reason that they dont want to do their best today. That is on them and that is why my posts tend to focus on where I think players have let us down.

And yes, I do think we should look at some new coaching staff to freshen up the environment, as long as the decision is taken in a controlled (i.e non-reactive) process.

Sorry for my Ram like rant.

TLDR: f**k the players and the coach.

This is where we differ mate. Yes the players make the decisions whether to be lazy or not or to place a ball casually down with one hand. But after 9+ freakin seasons if the coach can't get his message across to the senior players at the very least and take all those lazy shortcuts out of their game, them I'm afraid he isn't much of a coach.

Bennett for example stopped his players when doing sprints slowing right down in those last 3 or so metres at the finishing line and told them that if you do that during training you will do it during games.

It IS the coaches job to get the best out of his players consistently and if they aren't capable then remove and replace them. Since he is happy with his players and they do show class and quality at different times, then one is led to believe that it is him that can't get the crap out of their game. Period!

The coach is there to bring the best out of all the players game. Our coach can't do it consistently and has moulded all of them into a one trick collision pony.

Any wonder why they are now jerking and splattering from game to game?

TheRam

Coach
What justification would the board have to sack a coach who's team is inside the Top 8?

Massive losses against the team running last at the time. It's not a fluke. He works hard at it. He is just like pou, a plodder of massive proportions who loves a good collision. It take quite an effort to be this plod.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It’s exactly the same in most industries. The supervisory board is there for governance and the CEO (which in this case is the coach) and their leadership team have the corporate knowledge.
The difference here is, in most circumstances, the supervisory board would punt the CEO after 1 underperforming year.
And what is underperformance for our club? In the decade prior to Arthur’s taking over we missed the finals six times.

Chipmunk

Coach
Massive losses against the team running last at the time. It's not a fluke. He works hard at it. He is just like pou, a plodder of massive proportions who loves a good collision. It take quite an effort to be this plod.
Sure you could sack a coach for that, but you would need to pay out his entire contract in doing so.

Angry_eel

First Grade
I'm feeling ok after that loss. Tbh, I was thinking they'll play crap against Canberra but they pulled a W out of that one.

Had an off day against Tigers
Had an off day against Cowboys
Had an off day against Bulldogs

Soto

Bench
Apparently Ray Hadley let loose on our coach today..from all reports very well researched and even Ray who "apparently" is a neutral supporter has had enough and in summary, stated time for parra to get a new coach. Don't often agree with Raymond but do so on this occasion.
Where do i sign the petition.
In all seriousness don't like when coaches are punted. However as Tiger Timmy said last week it's a results driven business.
Mediocrity should not be an allowed norm. That's what exactly what we are seeing now. Is it the players or the coach?
Probably both. However the one constant has been the coach. Time to go champ.
Be involved in pathways, head of junior programs or whatever but not 1st grade.
Enough collision chasing, front loading, effort on effort and all the other cliches.
Defence wins matches and we have not shown much resilience this year. Apart from Storm, panthers and 2nd half of the Raiders game the defence has been pretty shit.
I'd be going Flangan or Ciraldo now. Don't think anyone else cuts it

Noise

Coach
Apparently Ray Hadley let loose on our coach today..from all reports very well researched and even Ray who "apparently" is a neutral supporter has had enough and in summary, stated time for parra to get a new coach. Don't often agree with Raymond but do so on this occasion.
Where do i sign the petition.
In all seriousness don't like when coaches are punted. However as Tiger Timmy said last week it's a results driven business.
Mediocrity should not be an allowed norm. That's what exactly what we are seeing now. Is it the players or the coach?
Probably both. However the one constant has been the coach. Time to go champ.
Be involved in pathways, head of junior programs or whatever but not 1st grade.
Enough collision chasing, front loading, effort on effort and all the other cliches.
Defence wins matches and we have not shown much resilience this year. Apart from Storm, panthers and 2nd half of the Raiders game the defence has been pretty shit.
I'd be going Flangan or Ciraldo now. Don't think anyone else cuts it
Was there something about no other coach in 112 years has coached for 7 years at the one club without making a prelim?