What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd14: Eels v Bulldogs GAME DAY THREAD @ Accor Stadium 13/6/22

Soto

Bench
Maybe..didn't hear it nor do I listen to him. Sure enough have had a few people let me know Ray took a break from his country music playlist and didn't miss uncle Arthur

what i saw in the game was an undisciplined lazy team looking for a shortcut and not finding one
look at the storm and panthers when the opposition scores they defend well, get the ball back and start building pressure again what do we do start playing hot potato and pray for a try from nothing

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
what i saw in the game was an undisciplined lazy team looking for a shortcut and not finding one

exactly what BA said in his presser and Gutho agreed, BA also had a go at the Cup team, saying "we had 34 players out there today all looking for a shortcut"

Avenger

Immortal
Apparently Ray Hadley let loose on our coach today..from all reports very well researched and even Ray who "apparently" is a neutral supporter has had enough and in summary, stated time for parra to get a new coach. Don't often agree with Raymond but do so on this occasion.
Where do i sign the petition.
In all seriousness don't like when coaches are punted. However as Tiger Timmy said last week it's a results driven business.
Mediocrity should not be an allowed norm. That's what exactly what we are seeing now. Is it the players or the coach?
Probably both. However the one constant has been the coach. Time to go champ.
Be involved in pathways, head of junior programs or whatever but not 1st grade.
Enough collision chasing, front loading, effort on effort and all the other cliches.
Defence wins matches and we have not shown much resilience this year. Apart from Storm, panthers and 2nd half of the Raiders game the defence has been pretty shit.
I'd be going Flangan or Ciraldo now. Don't think anyone else cuts it
I’d give John Morris a go if we sacked him before next season. Ciraldo is a gamble. I’d also enquire about Todd Payten and offer him the gig in advance.

Soto

Bench
exactly what BA said in his presser and Gutho agreed, BA also had a go at the Cup team, saying "we had 34 players out there today all looking for a shortcut"
The Cup team folded once Rankin went
He is the glue there and a very underrated player. Probably too good for reserves but maybe not good enough for 1sts. He does know how to play and has good vision

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

‘Embarrassed’ Gutherson’s brutal admission as Eels skipper reveals Arthur’s reaction to Dog disaster

Staff Writers from Fox Sports
June 14th, 2022 11:55 am
Parramatta Eels captain Clint Gutherson didn’t hold back the morning after his side’s most embarrassing loss this season.
Losing to the Tigers by a last ditch drop goal hurts, however to go down by 30 points against one of the competition’s most disappointing clubs was humiliating, for a side tipped for success come September.
Coming off a bye round and Origin players having five days to recover and recuperate, Gutherson was not out to make excuses.
“It was really embarrassing knowing that we just performed like that,” Gutherson told Sky Racing’s Big Sports Breakfast.

“They got a few lucky tries early and a lot of their tries came off kicks, look when they’re going that hard and playing that type of footy you get those tries and that’s the way that footy is.
“It just felt like we didn’t go after the collision, we were trying to shift off the back of anything and we were throwing the ball out the back for no reason.
“It was extremely disappointing, Brad was pretty off it in the sheds after the game but look we can’t really do anything after that game now, we’ve got to review it tomorrow and look at what did and what we did throughout the week.”

The Eels have confused fans and pundits as many predicted to see the blue and gold in the competition’s grand final at the end of the year.
Brad Arthur’s men were the first side in the NRL to beat the Penrith Panthers this season, however their consistency is in question by not only fans but players as well.

“That’s probably two or three games this year where we’ve really shot ourselves in the foot against an opposition that’s at the bottom of the table,” Gutherson said.
“We find a way to turn up when its a big game in a top of the table clash but when we go to these little games where we’re expected to win and we just can’t turn up and play the footy that we want.
“We were really embarrassed coming off the field last night and look we get to go again this week but we’ve got to be able to have a tough conversation at training and see where it all went wrong.”
Moreover the Gutherson believes that Parramatta’s lack of patience to reduce the deficit is where it all went wrong for the Eels.

The Parramatta Eels got sucked into the Bulldogs’ push and shove. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)
The Parramatta Eels got sucked into the Bulldogs’ push and shove. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

“That’s the thing at the moment once we get a couple of tries behind we’re probably trying to chase the score too quickly,” Gutherson said.
“Look I went for the all or nothing play in the second half and the fox was good enough to pluck it out of the air and run away.
“It’s probably just the mindset we get into when we get behind early that we need to chase points straight away but we know as a team we can score tries in bunches we’ve just got to drag them back into the game.
“Even when we did that last night we got down there, we gave ourselves a chance to get back in and we were just dropping easy ball or forcing offloads, we just didn’t field any pressure whatsover.
“Credit to the Bulldogs, they played great and came ready to go and came after us early in the game but Panga Jr was out there on a mission and we got stuck in to what they were trying to do, got stuck into the push and shove but extremely disappointing.
“You’ve got to be able to move on pretty quick but look we’ll have to have some stern words tomorrow in the review and try and find out what went wrong on the weekend and in the game.”

The Eels had three Blues players return for the clash against the Bulldogs, with the rest of the squad given five days off the week before with the bye Round.
Lack of time, preparation and rest was clearly not an issues for the Eels, something Parramatta’s captain took complete ownership over.
“100% we agree, we had a long turn around after a bye as well so there was no excuse,” Gutherson answered.
“Our Origin players had six days to come back and play.
“We were sitting in the sheds and we didn’t even know what to say and how we did it but it’s disappointing Loz.
“We’ve got a short turn around this week coming into a Saturday, we’ve got the Roosters who are playing good footy so if we turn up like we did against them (Bulldogs) then it’s going to be an even bigger score.

“Look we’re the only ones that can change it, nothing that the staff or anything like that have done because they gave us a few days off to get away from footy and to produce that performance is quite embarrassing, we’re the only ones that can change it and we have to change it pretty quickly.”
While the Eels will no doubt be having those tough conversations when reviewing a game they’ll hope to forget, they’ll also turn their focus to the matchup this Saturday when they take on the Roosters at CommBank Stadium.

Wally21

Bench
The Head Coach is not the CEO though, he answers to the CEO, and in some instances there is someone in the hierarchical structure in between them to. In reality, at Parra (and most professional sports teams in fairness), the leadership team of the corporate entity (CEO, CFO, other Heads of areas, etc) has zero corporate knowledge of the core business of the organisation.

In most industries there is at least someone on the board who has a background in that particular industry of the core business that they are on the board for. Other NRL teams, including the Panthers (Greg Alexander), Roosters (Luke Ricketson) and Broncos (Darren Lockyer), have at least one person on the board who at least has a very good understanding of the core business of the organisation/industry.

There is no corporate knowledge/industry background in anyone on the board or management of the club. They're bankers and accountants and my original point is that bankers and accountants won't sack the only person with corporate knowledge of the core business of the organisation with 2 1/2 years to go on his contract who is still inside the Top 8.
The issue remains, that the coach is supposed to be the Subject Matter Expert and in charge of the main product of the organization which is to compete in the NRL and perform better than competitors. The CEO doesn’t need to be a rugby league expert, the supervisory board needs no knowledge of the game. That’s why they employ a coach and in some cases a coaching director or Head of Football.
Regardless of the semantics, the point I made was that no organization keeps a person who is most responsible for delivering metrics if they don’t. They might get away with one year but no more. And the only reason I raised the point in the first place is that you said they won’t sack the coach cause they don’t know football.

Wally21

Bench
And what is underperformance for our club? In the decade prior to Arthur’s taking over we missed the finals six times.
Depends on what is in his contract. If it is to finish in the top 8 and win 2 finals games in his 9 years, he has achieved his objectives.
The vast majority of fans that I know, (along with it seems the majority of supporters who post here) who spend their hard earned money to support the club, seem to have a far higher expectation than make the finals and bow out.
Either way, this is going absolutely nowhere and the point is, that the vast majority of sporting or corporate organizations would not accept this mediocrity over such a long period of time.
End of story

Soto

Bench
I’d give John Morris a go if we sacked him before next season. Ciraldo is a gamble. I’d also enquire about Todd Payten and offer him the gig in advance.
Morris no, Payten Yes.
I don't think Payten will be leaving cows anytime soon. Building very nicely there and you could see he had the warriors very competitive.
He has some absolute young guns at his disposal too.
Hence why I say Flanagan or Ciraldo.
Our defence is rubbish. Ciraldo is apparently the mastermind behind Riffs defence.
Now If ur Ciraldo and you look at the rosters of us, digs and Tigers, I know who I'd rather be coaching. It ain't the other 2. However with the Dogs continuing to strengthen with Kikau, Mahoney and Ryan Sutton he may see this as more attractive.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Apparently Ray Hadley let loose on our coach today..from all reports very well researched and even Ray who "apparently" is a neutral supporter has had enough and in summary, stated time for parra to get a new coach. Don't often agree with Raymond but do so on this occasion.
Where do i sign the petition.
In all seriousness don't like when coaches are punted. However as Tiger Timmy said last week it's a results driven business.
Mediocrity should not be an allowed norm. That's what exactly what we are seeing now. Is it the players or the coach?
Probably both. However the one constant has been the coach. Time to go champ.
Be involved in pathways, head of junior programs or whatever but not 1st grade.
Enough collision chasing, front loading, effort on effort and all the other cliches.
Defence wins matches and we have not shown much resilience this year. Apart from Storm, panthers and 2nd half of the Raiders game the defence has been pretty shit.
I'd be going Flangan or Ciraldo now. Don't think anyone else cuts it
I dont listen to that twat but someone from work who is also a parra fan was listening and told me Hadley didnt miss Arthur today on his show.

So it must have been a massive spray.

Chipmunk

Coach
Ray Hadley deciding to weigh in to why Parra persists with Brad Arthur is an interesting development.

Should we suspect a media pile on to follow from the rugby league journos? They should.

Soto

Bench
Ray Hadley has apparently decided to weigh in to why Parra persists with Brad Arthur.

Should we suspect a media pile on to follow from the rugby league journos? They should.
For sure and certain. I'm surprised the What's the Matta Parramatta headline hasn't been given a re-run again

Avenger

Immortal

Chipmunk

Coach
For sure and certain. I'm surprised the What's the Matta Parramatta headline hasn't been given a re-run again
You're going to need a media pile on to really shift a coach of a Top 8 side. Not sure really how hard they could really go though given we're still capable.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Ray Hadley deciding to weigh in to why Parra persists with Brad Arthur is an interesting development.

I think the team needs a bit of siege mentality and a bit criticism into them to fire them up.

We got pummeled in Darwin.

JA copped the brunt of it and the senior players arched up in the media over the social media backlash they then went out and knocked over penrith 6 days later.

They are just coasting atm. And they simply don't have the right mental preparation to deal with positive press.

Cloeel

Juniors
Morris no, Payten Yes.
I don't think Payten will be leaving cows anytime soon. Building very nicely there and you could see he had the warriors very competitive.
He has some absolute young guns at his disposal too.
Hence why I say Flanagan or Ciraldo.
Our defence is rubbish. Ciraldo is apparently the mastermind behind Riffs defence.
Now If ur Ciraldo and you look at the rosters of us, digs and Tigers, I know who I'd rather be coaching. It ain't the other 2. However with the Dogs continuing to strengthen with Kikau, Mahoney and Ryan Sutton he may see this as more attractive.

Wasn't Barrett meant to be the mastermind behind there attack?

Didn't not end well at the Dogs...