What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd21: Parra v Titans GAME DAY thread 4/8/18

T-Boon

Coach
So what is your backline? ... same as today?

I would play Hayne at fullback in attack.

That is the only certainty. It complicates things a bit because what do we then do with Guth who I love as a player especially at fullback.

I would probably look at Gutherson as centre.

So:

1. Hayne
2. Jennings
3. Gutherson
4. Jennings
5. French
6. Norman
7. Moses

T-Boon

Coach
You really need to watch the game more, Hayne no matter where he plays has been roaming either side of the field, notice the try he set up last night? It was on the opposite side to which he plays!

He isn't touching the ball anywhere near enough in the sets we have in the opposition half of the field. Sometimes we go 4 sets in the red zone where he doesnt touch it and clearly inferior options are touching it a lot in front of him. Such as the edge forward kid whose name I will try to get right over the next week (good kid).

When Hayne doesn't touch it we look dull, when he does we look sharp.

So I guess I don't mind where he plays, so long as he touches the ball in a fullback type role at least once preferably twice in every set we have inside the opposition half.

strider

Post Whore
Watching the highlights of the bunnies on ch9

Their backline movements are the best in the game atm .... its because they dont run "decoys" .... thats not to say there arent guys running not getting the ball - i mean every single guy running is a 100% option to get the ball

As opposed to us where there are guys that might be moving (tho not always) but deadset are obviously not gonna get the ball ... so predictable

I dont think the souths players are running with a mindset of being a decoy

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He isn't touching the ball anywhere near enough in the sets we have in the opposition half of the field. Sometimes we go 4 sets in the red zone where he doesnt touch it and clearly inferior options are touching it a lot in front of him. Such as the edge forward kid whose name I will try to get right over the next week (good kid).

When Hayne doesn't touch it we look dull, when he does we look sharp.
But are we looking good because he is getting the ball or is he only getting the ball when there's an opportunity?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Their backline movements are the best in the game atm .... its because they dont run "decoys" .... thats not to say there arent guys running not getting the ball - i mean every single guy running is a 100% option to get the ball

As opposed to us where there are guys that might be moving (tho not always) but deadset are obviously not gonna get the ball ... so predictable

I'm sure our decoys are genuine passing options (as they are in every team). They certainly were last year - look how often Jennings and Ma'u got the ball on 'decoy' lines. The problem is our playmakers are in shit headspace this year. They are making poor decisions.

strider

Post Whore
I'm sure our decoys are genuine passing options (as they are in every team). They certainly were last year - look how often Jennings and Ma'u got the ball on 'decoy' lines. The problem is our playmakers are in shit headspace this year. They are making poor decisions.
Nah im not sure they are ... several times last night i went all tuorettes at the tv cos our edge forwards were just never an option for getting the ball ... they just without even looking like getting it .... but then seeing south is like a totally different thing

strider

Post Whore
Everyone is getting orgasmic about hayne going from left centre to setup the right side try .... not to detract from his game - he has been our best back lately - but he wasnt playing left centre at the time .... when peni made the break down the left hayne was nowhere around .... i think we had decided to switch gutho and hayne all game and they had switched

T-Boon

Coach
i think we had decided to switch gutho and hayne all game and they had switched

Which is the only redeeming feature of sticking Hayne at centre or wing. He isn't going to spend the whole time there.
I think over the last month we will find all our good backline work has been when Hayne has been at fullback and we have been ineffective when he is stuck out in some small role position where just about everyone gets the ball before him.
Solution: defend with him on the wing and attack with him at fullback.

strider

Post Whore
Which is the only redeeming feature of sticking Hayne at centre or wing. He isn't going to spend the whole time there.
I think over the last month we will find all our good backline work has been when Hayne has been at fullback and we have been ineffective when he is stuck out in some small role position where just about everyone gets the ball before him.
Solution: defend with him on the wing and attack with him at fullback.
Im not sure his fitness is up to it ... he looks as rooted as anyone in the 2nd halves of games

Bandwagon

Staff member
I don't reckon Hayne is a player that needs to touch the ball more than he is now. He's an explosive type player who should be getting the ball when and where he wants it. He's pretty much always been that way. Too many touches and you sacrifice quality for quantity. More so now at the back end of his career.

Whilst it has led to Hayne being called lazy through out his career at times, I reckon that is just what you get with him, even at his best at fullback he was never one to make the 20 - 30 odd thankless support runs up the middle like say a Slater would, but then you just need to recognise he isn't that kind of player and utilise the game he brings, rather than attempt to manufacture him into something he is not.

Proof's in the pudding over the last few weeks, he's playing great footy at the workload he's given, and has sought out the ball when he's had something to offer. Now that mightn't be ideal, and it'd be great if he could offer the kind of impact he does with even greater involvement, but he just isn't that player.

Kornstar

Coach
I don't reckon Hayne is a player that needs to touch the ball more than he is now. He's an explosive type player who should be getting the ball when and where he wants it. He's pretty much always been that way. Too many touches and you sacrifice quality for quantity. More so now at the back end of his career.

Whilst it has led to Hayne being called lazy through out his career at times, I reckon that is just what you get with him, even at his best at fullback he was never one to make the 20 - 30 odd thankless support runs up the middle like say a Slater would, but then you just need to recognise he isn't that kind of player and utilise the game he brings, rather than attempt to manufacture him into something he is not.

Proof's in the pudding over the last few weeks, he's playing great footy at the workload he's given, and has sought out the ball when he's had something to offer. Now that mightn't be ideal, and it'd be great if he could offer the kind of impact he does with even greater involvement, but he just isn't that player.

I think what this year has shown is that he is a Parra boy. He didn’t lose talent at the Titans but he certainly wasn’t as committed as he appears this year.

I still think he was not allowed to come back to Parra because of all the salary cap shit and the NRL fearing public and media backlash if we were able to sign Hayne so they directed him to the Titans and made the deal happen.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I think what this year has shown is that he is a Parra boy. He didn’t lose talent at the Titans but he certainly wasn’t as committed as he appears this year.

I still think he was not allowed to come back to Parra because of all the salary cap shit and the NRL fearing public and media backlash if we were able to sign Hayne so they directed him to the Titans and made the deal happen.

I don't know about "not allowed", but there is no question as to the NRL's encouragement of the deal at the Tits.

Dibs

Bench

I think it’s because of how deep they get. They are the best team to watch in the NRL Imo

T-Boon

Coach
I don't reckon Hayne is a player that needs to touch the ball more than he is now.

Well we need him to be because we are shit when he isn't involved so why don't we have a looks see if he can do more by playing him at fullback, at least when we are in the opposition half.

One thing you miss when Hayne is at centre or on the wing is his passing game. He has the best vision and the best long pass at our club by miles.

T-Boon

Coach

Brad Arthur also said some stuff that made me fell like we were luke warm about getting him back. Things like "we are pretty set at his position" (he meant French).