What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd22: EELS v Storms GAME DAY THREAD @ Marvel Stadium 28/7/23

the phantom menace

First Grade
we are really not that good... only against the teams outside the top 8 we are.

We basically have to play almost the perfect game to beat the top 8s.... and we are not consistent enough to do that.
We had a couple of good games against decent opposition this season - but we're a long way from being able to be competitive in (or even reach) the finals. Which I guess is reflected in our position outside of the top 8 on the ladder...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
05-funny-gif-245-horse.gif

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We had a couple of good games against decent opposition this season - but we're a long way from being able to be competitive in (or even reach) the finals. Which I guess is reflected in our position outside of the top 8 on the ladder...
That's right. And it's because our defence isn't as good as our attack, which is very good.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Here's a tip, attack and defence determine whether you win or lose. Wins/losses are the What. Attack and defence are the Why. They're not just 'stats', unconnected to the game. They reflect what happens on the field.

If a team with strong attack and weak defence wants to rise above the middle of the ladder it will better use limited resources improving its defence than its attack. Just trying to 'win more' isn't even the start of a strategy for improvement.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Thanks Sherlock!

So you deny ladder position is based on actual wins and losses, rather than measures of attack and defence?
I was discussing why we've only been good enough to win half our games. I dare say you'll find our ladder position stems from that, not the other way around. Again, you're all horse and no cart.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Our defence was stupidly good in 2021, it fell off massively last year despite being largely the same side and has continued that way this year.
It fell apart in the 2021 QLD hub.

We conceded 28,40,56,40 during a 6 week period in the hub.

Our defence in that 8-6 semi final loss though against Penrith was just as good as the Townsville prelim last year we just lacked the finish to cross the line one more time.

King-Gutho94

Coach
We're a team that can do a decent ambush on its day. But don't have the consistency to do it for long periods. Like we have only had one 6 game winning streak under BA in 10 years.

The souths result deadset no one saw coming with past results against them, our shit form leading into the game and souths were flying on top.

We just didn't beat them we belted them.

Incorrect

Coach
We're a team that can do a decent ambush on its day. But don't have the consistency to do it for long periods. Like we have only had one 6 game winning streak under BA in 10 years.

The souths result deadset no one saw coming with past results against them, our shit form leading into the game and souths were flying on top.

We just didn't beat them we belted them.
And I guess this has always been the elephant in the room for Parra. In order to win a premiership, you need to produce 4 weeks in a row of high quality footy come September (or 3 if you finish top 4 and get a week off). 4 X the Rabbitohs performance we produced earlier this season.... We're not capable of that based on the last 10 years. 2009 was our best 4 weeks of finals footy, better than 2001 and 2005 minor premiership teams.... Just a pity that in the 4th game of that 2009 finals run we came up against a team found to be flagrantly rorting the cap and who shouldn't have been assembled....

Chipmunk

Coach
Defence is often about attitude, and for mine in this case it is all about attitude.

Did we have good defensive systems when we let in 2 tries this season against the Storm (after 80 mins) and Panthers earlier in the year, and 3 tries against Souths, and then suddenly come up with shit defensive systems for the other 17 games?

Some absences at times hasn't helped either, but there was absences during the game against Souths too.

Chasing the Collision is all about attitude. We've hardly done it across the last two seasons. Sparingly is probably the best way to describe it.

lucablight

First Grade
And I guess this has always been the elephant in the room for Parra. In order to win a premiership, you need to produce 4 weeks in a row of high quality footy come September (or 3 if you finish top 4 and get a week off). 4 X the Rabbitohs performance we produced earlier this season.... We're not capable of that based on the last 10 years. 2009 was our best 4 weeks of finals footy, better than 2001 and 2005 minor premiership teams.... Just a pity that in the 4th game of that 2009 finals run we came up against a team found to be flagrantly rorting the cap and who shouldn't have been assembled....
Melbourne weren’t that much better than us in the 2009 grand final. We dun goof’d when Ben Smith let that ball bounce for Melbournes try in the second half but if Luke Burt had kicked the conversion for our final try then it takes the field goal out of the equation and the game comes down to the final 7 minutes where we had all the momentum.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Melbourne weren’t that much better than us in the 2009 grand final. We dun goof’d when Ben Smith let that ball bounce for Melbournes try in the second half but if Luke Burt had kicked the conversion for our final try then it takes the field goal out of the equation and the game comes down to the final 7 minutes where we had all the momentum.
Wasnt ben smith

It was Grothe and Hayne who stood there and watched Inglis just catch it and score.

I'll never forget being in the nose bleeds seats it was like a car crash waiting to happen you could see Inglis charging through and just knew he was going to catch and score while Hayne and Grothe both hesitated.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Wasnt ben smith

It was Grothe and Hayne who stood there and watched Inglis just catch it and score.

I'll never forget being in the nose bleeds seats it was like a car crash waiting to happen you could see Inglis charging through and just knew he was going to catch and score while Hayne and Grothe both hesitated.
Reddy going off hurt us if I remember, I was incredibly drunk and it’s a game I don’t intend to ever watch again.

Latest posts