What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd25: EELS v Roosters GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank 18/8/23

IFR33K

Coach
There one thing that's guarranteed around here, the moment one person starts claiming that they are smarter than another or visa versa, then it's really about their insecurity or a need to feel superior. Need a hug ?

Honestly, can you guys possibly talk about footy without spitting the dummy and throwing hand grenades ? Silly question, amirite ?

I never claimed I’m smarter than anyone.

but you’re claiming paulo is injured and needled up despite no evidence.

you’re failing to comprehend he could be in a form slump.

Talk about jumping at shadows.

hindy111

Post Whore
Juniors always best when he think run hard first and not ball play. Offload only if he makes impact or it's a backline spread. To often this year and also has done so in past where he is thinking offload first and run 2nd. By timenhe hits line he hasn't the same pace or impact.
Especialy the opening 20 minutes

Gronk

Staff member
I never claimed I’m smarter than anyone.

but you’re claiming paulo is injured and needled up despite no evidence.

you’re failing to comprehend he could be in a form slump.

Talk about jumping at shadows.
Mate going around telling people that they are dumb is exactly what you are doing. You are dumb: Ipso facto I am smart.

Form slump: why are you insisting that players this time of year are not playing with niggles, when EVERY coach says that they are ? Why are you refusing to acknowledge that injury contributes to a form slump significantly ? It impacts timing, focus, confidence - everything. You guys are hell bent on just needing someone to blame. Nobody is saying he's playing his best footy, yet you're not satisfied unless the reason slots in with your - coach has no idea - schema.

JokerEel

Coach
Mate going around telling people that they are dumb is exactly what you are doing. You are dumb: Ipso facto I am smart.

Form slump: why are you insisting that players this time of year are not playing with niggles, when EVERY coach says that they are ? Why are you refusing to acknowledge that injury contributes to a form slump significantly ? It impacts timing, focus, confidence - everything. You guys are hell bent on just needing someone to blame. Nobody is saying he's playing his best footy, yet you're not satisfied unless the reason slots in with your - coach has no idea - schema.

Dude not disagreeing with you but you are doing the same thing ie, his "injury"

Gronk

Staff member
Dude not disagreeing with you but you are doing the same thing ie, his "injury"
Tell me why he was sitting out wide vs Roosters avoiding the hard carries ? Why he went off early for Emu. . Did anyone notice how Hopgood made 40 tackles ? You think that was because he had that much traffic on his edge ? Does someone like Jnr do that because he's out of form ?

JokerEel

Coach
Tell me why he was sitting out wide vs Roosters avoiding the hard carries ? Why he went off early for Emu. . Did anyone notice how Hopgood made 40 tackles ? You think that was because he had that much traffic on his edge ? Does someone like Jnr do that because he's out of form ?

Possibly Yes. Just like the other dribblers on here no one really knows apart from the club and Barlow.

He also didnt go off early it was after 27 minutes.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Junior has had a below par season.

But like i have said before Ryan Matterson deserves more heat on him then Junior for his performances this year.

Matto basically had to be in the best 3 back rowers in the game to repay us for what he did. And he didnt come close to that mark.

Agree

Thought Matterson was very good first 3-4 games when he came back. Was impressed, he got stuck in.
Then drifted to being average since..

Thought we haven't seen Junior at his best since Origin selection last year, or not as consistently good anyway

Maybe that origin series, the finals series (we went deep for a change), the WC (leading mighty Samoa to the final) , and origin this year has all caught up with the big fella. Looks like he may have gained a few kilos as well? Or playing with an injury. Should come out in the post season review somewhere id imagine

King-Gutho94

Coach
That is quite funny that our season will be finished and every team in the competition will still have at least two games to play. The Panthers obviously only one more competition game, but obviously plenty of finals for them.
I am sure Matto and the lads saw an opportunity & found a good bargain a few weeks back. Knowing our final game was on a Thursday Night in the 2nd last round.

There hasnt been much effort to push for semi's in the past 3-4 weeks

yy_cheng

Coach
OK sure we can do this all day, but the forwards get you down into the red zone and then teams like the bunnies (hell even STG two weeks ago) have backs good enough to create chances, 3 on 2s, beat a man etc. The only "chances" we had v roosters were forwards barging over 1m out. Our backs were getting out jumped, pushed over the sideline or just shut down. Not only that, the Brave Roosters have ADDED to their backs in 2024 with that ratsa pom from Newcastle. I know that they have a sombrero, but FMD Teddy, Toupo, Manu, Will's mate, Ratsa, Billy Smith and they still have Paul Momirovski playing reggies and could afford to let Jaxson Paulo walk. Compared to our rabble. Jaxson Paulo would be f**king luxury.
But that's playing style and strategy. Granted, most teams do play that way and even though I dont have the stats, i feel we score more tries being away from the 20m line. We really struggle in the opposition 20.

I always refer only to playing the good teams (top 8 if you will) because against the lesser teams is not indicative of how good we are for the finals (if we had made it).

So we have adopted a game plan that doesnt suit our attacking style or the players that we do have.

yy_cheng

Coach
Juniors always best when he think run hard first and not ball play. Offload only if he makes impact or it's a backline spread. To often this year and also has done so in past where he is thinking offload first and run 2nd. By timenhe hits line he hasn't the same pace or impact.
Especialy the opening 20 minutes
Totally.

The problem with junior is that he has many talents, however, his decision making is poor or he is lazy (pass first instead of run first ala schuster)

RCG is miles better because has attitude is always run first HARD.

Paps and Marata were run hard first and so is Hopgood. Hopgood wants to offload but he always makes sure he is running hard first.