What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd5 2024: 615pm Eels v Raiders GAME DAY THREAD @ GIO Stadium April 7th

Legal Eel

Juniors
I’m saying a change of coaches will do nothing. We could have another shit year and improve in 2025 whether we sack Brad Arthur or not. We could be going just as bad under a different coach right now without Moses. I don’t think a new coach will be the silver bullet anyone thinks it will. Even if at do sack Brad Arthur and have a good year it will be as if we’d sacked him in 2016 or 2018 and improved the next year anyway.

We need to beat the salary cap to compete with the top clubs. I think our only chance is to continue the spending on junior development that first saw fruit last year. Those kids are not yet ready for first grade (or even reserve grade by the looks of things) but they will be. If we keep spending like we have been, we will benefit from the production line and the NRL salary cap will be kinder to us.

Whinging about coaches is for amateurs. Penrith don’t seem to care. It was recently posted that Brad Arthur’s team has conceded 40+ points 21 times in 12 seasons. That’s the exact same number of times Cleary’s teams conceded 40+ in his first 12 seasons. I don’t see how that makes Arthur this horrific reserve grade level coach who is incapable of winning a premiership. If Cleary can do it anyone can.

This is not to say that we need to keep Brad Arthur. I don’t think it really matters. Holbrook is a ‘failure’ and I’m sure he would do just as well as Arthur’s. Any decent coach can win the comp with the right squad. Assembling that squad isn’t his job though. It requires the club’s entire resources.

So I don’t see why you think I want Arthur here forever. When I point out the flawed logic in merkins assuming he is the problem (and sacking him the solution) it doesn’t mean I’m defending him. It means I’m attacking you dopes for thinking anyone would do a better job. Where’s your proof?
So you don’t care who the coach is….you just want to argue with those who want him gone

Says it all really

Fact is you may be right and we may or may not improve under a new coach

But after 11 years we know we aren’t winning it under Arthur.

Not that it matters to you whether we get a new coach or whether it’s the right move - you just want to call people dumb

Legal Eel

Juniors
Instead of arguing incessantly you could have just accepted this basic premise from the start. Would have been the smarter option.
So far we have heard it’s not the coach, it’s not the head of football, nor the head of recruitment at fault…

apparently it’s some senior players who apparently recruited, retained and coached themselves the past three years.

not playing the man, playing the stupid arguments

read some of my posts - I am more than happy to give lengthy explanations of my opinions.

however, if anyone disagrees with Pous incessant trolling of parra fans with things he clearly doesn’t believe, yourself and a couple of others come riding in on a white horse to defend

apart from potshotting others, what is your opinion on the coach and what ails the club?

lucablight

First Grade
I did before Moses got injured. Since then some senior players have been very poor. Is that Arthur’s fault? It’s convenient to say so.
It’s part of the coach’s job to get the most out of the players. Are you conceding that it isn’t happening at the moment with Moses gone? It’s also the coach’s job to motivate the players so if they aren’t responding that’s also his responsibility.

the phantom menace

First Grade
however, if anyone disagrees with Pous incessant trolling of parra fans with things he clearly doesn’t believe, yourself and a couple of others come riding in on a white horse to defend
Yep, a protected species it seems. Any rightful criticism of Pou's (excessive) posts is seen as "obsession".

I think I get the picture - Rain Man gets a free pass in these parts, despite his repeated and ongoing indiscretions 🤷‍♂️

Parra Pride

Coach
Just ignore the merkin if you’re sick of his trolling, it’s not hard. I have no sympathy for any idiot who just keeps feeding him and then complains when he continues.

Soto

Bench
You can ignore without putting him on ignore...enjoy the banter but skip or gloss over whoever you think is trolling.
To me its abundantly clear a change is required...
In other top flight leagues of world sports the coach would've been removed a long time ago..

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So far we have heard it’s not the coach, it’s not the head of football, nor the head of recruitment at fault…
These merkins got us into four straight finals series, culminating in a grand final appearance. It’s been decades since our club was that competitive.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It’s part of the coach’s job to get the most out of the players. Are you conceding that it isn’t happening at the moment with Moses gone? It’s also the coach’s job to motivate the players so if they aren’t responding that’s also his responsibility.
I don’t think it is. The senior players at every club can make or break coaches. Bennett said as much. It makes sense too, as they are more difficult to sack (due to any payout going on the cap) and they are often paid more. The majority of the leadership in the club comes from the senior players. It looks like they are about to get Demetriou blamed for the issues at Souths. And merkins complain about teflon.

lucablight

First Grade
I don’t think it is. The senior players at every club can make or break coaches. Bennett said as much. It makes sense too, as they are more difficult to sack (due to any payout going on the cap) and they are often paid more. The majority of the leadership in the club comes from the senior players. It looks like they are about to get Demetriou blamed for the issues at Souths. And merkins complain about teflon.
I think you’re diminishing the coach’s role by claiming that senior players are more influential. Being a man manager is absolutely one of the most important roles of a coach. Bennett is one of the best at it. There’s a reason why Bellamy still won a competition without Slater, Inglis and Cronk (and why Nelson isn’t in the team atm). I personally think Demetriou has been rather weak with how he’s handled the likes of Latrell and Cody.
I’m not saying Brad Arthur should be sacked at this moment in time because it’s still early in the season but if we miss the finals it would be a huge failure.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think you’re diminishing the coach’s role by claiming that senior players are more influential. Being a man manager is absolutely one of the most important roles of a coach. Bennett is one of the best at it. There’s a reason why Bellamy still won a competition without Slater, Inglis and Cronk (and why Nelson isn’t in the team atm). I personally think Demetriou has been rather weak with how he’s handled the likes of Latrell and Cody.
I’m not saying Brad Arthur should be sacked at this moment in time because it’s still early in the season but if we miss the finals it would be a huge failure.
Even Bennett had seasons where it all went wrong. It wasn’t because he stopped being a good man manager.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I reckon they'd love to f**k Latrell off rather than Demetriou. He's a poisonous nutjob.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I reckon they'd love to f**k Latrell off rather than Demetriou. He's a poisonous nutjob.
I think he is too, but a huge portion of their fanbase idolise him. Even the NRL only recently seems like they've had enough. Souths need to tread carefully or the negative press could be atrocious.

"NRL club founded by white men fails to support blah blah blah..."

Gronk

Staff member
Cleary was at 3 different clubs in those 12 years yo speak about though.

He also had to take over 2 clubs at the bottom in Penrith in 2012 & Wests in 2017.

And was forced to rebuild them from the ground up starting from scratch on 3 different occasions.

BA has had 11 years straight at one club.

Who did the rebuilding ? I know someone who might want to have a word.

rugby league GIF by NRL

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I think he is too, but a huge portion of their fanbase idolise him. Even the NRL only recently seems like they've had enough. Souths need to tread carefully or the negative press could be atrocious.

"NRL club founded by white men fails to support blah blah blah..."
Agreed. No chance of it happening. Much easier to get a new coach and pray that they can manage Latrell.

Latest posts