What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebecca Wilson at it again

It is ironic that there are so many posters in this thread who think that because a person, in their opinion, treated people disrespectfully in life that they, from behind a keyboard, can treat that same person disrespectfully in death. It is base hypocrisy.

No one can make you agree with the things that Rebecca Wilson said in life. Asking people not to engage in the level of vitriol evidenced in this thread does not require you to agree with her, like her or pass any judgment of her whatsoever.

But it is not unreasonable, mere hours after someone has passed away, to ask for some dignified silence. If I was in her family, my distress at her passing would be compounded, if I knew, by the outpouring this pack mentality has unleashed online.

You are all better than this.

I don't think for one moment that any of you would approach, in real life, the family member of a recently deceased person and say within earshot some of the things that have been said of late in this thread. Common decency and manners would dictate that you didn't. But if you have posted it here, you have potentially said it to their face. Think about that.
Common decency

Lol
The witch had none .
Yet somehow you expect that she be treated with it .

Get real .

adamkungl

Immortal
It is ironic that there are so many posters in this thread who think that because a person, in their opinion, treated people disrespectfully in life that they, from behind a keyboard, can treat that same person disrespectfully in death. It is base hypocrisy.

No one can make you agree with the things that Rebecca Wilson said in life. Asking people not to engage in the level of vitriol evidenced in this thread does not require you to agree with her, like her or pass any judgment of her whatsoever.

But it is not unreasonable, mere hours after someone has passed away, to ask for some dignified silence. If I was in her family, my distress at her passing would be compounded, if I knew, by the outpouring this pack mentality has unleashed online.

I don't think for one moment that any of you would approach, in real life, the family member of a recently deceased person and say within earshot some of the things that have been said of late in this thread. Common decency and manners would dictate that you didn't. But if you have posted it here, you have potentially said it to their face. Think about that.

If someone I cared about died I wouldn't google the opinions of her enemies

Danish

Referee
The best way to ensure your family don't have to read an avalanche of tweets and comments about how much of a merkin you were hours after your death is to, oh I dunno, NOT BE SUCH A merkin in the first place.

Given she left her husband and shacked up with another married bloke she obviously didn't have much of that common decency in any aspect of her life

docbrown

Coach
It is ironic that there are so many posters in this thread who think that because a person, in their opinion, treated people disrespectfully in life that they, from behind a keyboard, can treating that same person disrespectfully in death. It is base hypocrisy.

Wilson profited from using freedom of speech to write articles that were knowingly built on lies. That's not an opinion, it's reality.

And now you would deny that same freedom of speech to the people who want Wilson remembered for who she truly was. Not the mythologized trailblazer, but the sleazy soulless hack who ruined people's lives for her own personal gain.

You may get your way and the moderators might lock the thread but it doesn't make you right.

If we can't call out Rebecca Wilson both in life and death for the monster she truly was then don't complain about the appalling state of journalism. Don't complain when people are exploited. Don't complain when greed trumps the common good.

Because that would be the ultimate hypocrisy.

You think Wilson deserves dignified silence. She should have lived a dignified life to deserve it.

adamkungl

Immortal
Secondly, this isn't about whether you agreed with her or not.
I respect lots of people I disagree with.
I have no respect for someone who dedicated their life to making people unhappy.

docbrown

Coach
I would expect so.

If it were all her own doing it would stop now. But I bet it doesn't.

Correlation does not imply causation.

The other News Limited Hacks who were there before publishing those articles will still be there after. That doesn't get Wilson off the hook.

Like them, she made a series of personal choices. Following orders doesn't excuse it.

Wilson profited from using freedom of speech to write articles that were knowingly built on lies. That's not an opinion, it's reality.

And now you would deny that same freedom of speech to the people who want Wilson remembered for who she truly was.

I wouldn't deny freedom of speech to people here, any more than I would to those who shout "Fire!" in a crowded theatre, those who defame others, those who conspire to plan crimes and so forth. Which is to say, if you are free to speak, then you should speak responsibly. And not engaging in a torrent of hatred the moment somebody has passed away is responsible, and respectful. To those who remain.

Not the mythologized trailblazer, but the sleazy soulless hack who ruined people's lives for her own personal gain.

There's a time and a place and a way. Discuss her legacy by all means, but...

If we can't call out Rebecca Wilson both in life and death for the monster she truly was...

Martin Bryant is a monster. Stalin was a monster. Caligula was a monster. Get some perspective.

TheFrog

Coach
Correlation does not imply causation.

The other News Limited Hacks who were there before will still be there after. That doesn't get Wilson off the hook.

Like them, she made a serious of personal choices. Following orders doesn't excuse it.

You'd do it too for a six figure salary.

T.S Quint

Coach

What garbage.
This whole "Lets not speak ill of the dead" nonsense is just that - nonsense.
Go through this entire thread and you will find many, many posts giving her absolute shit. You expect that to change simply because she is now dead?
I would think her family members and friends already know how the Rugby League community feels about her. I doubt they are going to come into this site to read all our posts to see what we have to say. And if they do, well then they can get a good look at how she made others feel. Maybe her friends might choose to hang around more ethical people from then on.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

I don't agree with some of the stuff posted here but basically people are just expressing an opinion on a forum. It's not active trolling of her kids FB etc so I implore you to calm your arse down.

I wouldn't deny freedom of speech to people here, any more than I would to those who shout "Fire!" in a crowded theatre, those who defame others, those who conspire to plan crimes and so forth. Which is to say, if you are free to speak, then you should speak responsibly. And not engaging in a torrent of hatred the moment somebody has passed away is responsible, and respectful. To those who remain.

There's a time and a place and a way. Discuss her legacy by all means, but...

Martin Bryant is a monster. Stalin was a monster. Caligula was a monster. Get some perspective.

Since we're talking about perspective, perhaps someone can ask the Mannah family how they perceive her?

T.S Quint

Coach
You'd do it too for a six figure salary.

Maybe. Maybe not.

But if I did I wouldn't give two shits about what people said about me after my death....because I obviously wouldn't care what they said about me whilst I was alive.

magpie4ever

First Grade
What amazes me is posters are doing exactly what they accuse her of doing and they can not see the contradiction of their posts.

Surely as human beings, feel for her family and friends on her loss to a such horrible disease.

Latest posts