What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruiting Concerns

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
His service is slow.

If he could speed that aspect up, he'd be a good back up.

Luani is terrible. He struggles to even get to dummy half in time. And sometimes when he does he forgets to pick up the ball and just lets it roll between his legs. surely Cherrington is a better option.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Luani is simply carrying too much weight. He clearly bulked up over the last off season, but I think he went too far, because his conditioning is done and his speed is way way down, even on his performances in the World Cup last year.

If he lost some weight, he'd be quicker and back to playing good footy.

He didn't start off this poorly. He actually at first, appeared a better prospect than Politoni.

Cherrington has the job next year. He graduates to NSW Cup next year from 20s.
Needs a big offseason in the gym and 6 or 7kg to be more durable.
Has all the tools to be a very good hooker.

Matchball

Bench
I thought we had enough juniors coming through that we didn't need any recruitment besides a couple of forwards.

Leaguelegend20

Juniors
Ava & Bodene set to be re-signed.

Reasonably happy, but I worry about Bodene sometimes. Would he walk into the backrow of any other NRL club? The answer is no.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd rather we didn't keep Bodene.

He has been playing well this year, but he has some glaring flaws in his game.

With the prospect that Fulton may consider retirement if he feels that his health could be severely compromised if he continues playing, we will have a heap of back rowers shit at defending and good at taking hit ups.

that's a recipe for disaster, especially when we have two small halves next season.

Leaguelegend20

Juniors
I'd rather we didn't keep Bodene.

He has been playing well this year, but he has some glaring flaws in his game.

With the prospect that Fulton may consider retirement if he feels that his health could be severely compromised if he continues playing, we will have a heap of back rowers shit at defending and good at taking hit ups.

that's a recipe for disaster, especially when we have two small halves next season.

Yeah. Fulton is much more important than people think. Without him our defence falls to shit. Without him we have too much flair and not enough grit. If Fulton retires, I'd much rather his & Bodene's money go into resigning a top notch workhorse backrower.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Move Lawrence to the back row. I think it would be a good move for him.

This will have to happen. If he can be taught to make his tackles more dominant, he'd be an unbelievable back rower. He could be very much a Luke Lewis type player.

imzerroo

Juniors
Move Lawrence to the back row. I think it would be a good move for him.

agree but he'll have to go to state cup and start from there first imo. there are too many others in front of him to be playing that role based on rep. he could be a star in the backrow with siro on the other side and sue in the middle.

magpie guy

Juniors
agree but he'll have to go to state cup and start from there first imo. there are too many others in front of him to be playing that role based on rep. he could be a star in the backrow with siro on the other side and sue in the middle.

I think Lawrence could be a great backrower. When he takes hitups currently he seems to drag a couple of defenders and gets decent speed play-the-balls. He would also be quite a fast back rower and when he hits front-on tends to stick pretty well. Doesn't have the same brilliant technique in tackling that Fulton has but could play a very similar role. Certainly moving in one is going to happen for him sooner rather than later and Simona is a top class left centre that deserves that position.

In term of recruitment...it means that we need to sign or develop a top flight right centre or right winger to play next to Nofu. I still think that Nofu has all the attributes and will be a right centre so that means a winger. Makes me wonder at bit at letting Koro go but as has been suggested, maybe there is more there than we know.

Other than that, we seem to be good on forwards for the moment, maybe barring a big backrower, but will do fine with what we have and assuming Siro lives up to even half the hype.

The biggest issue I see is needing to start grooming a replacement for Farah. In the next 2-3 years Farah will be playing Origin and we will need a good replacement plan in place during the season. After that I am not sure how long Farah will be playing and we need to be concerned with the possibility of him being injured during a season and not being able to replace him.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tell you what, young Martin (NYC five eighth) looks pretty good. I can't see us requiring Austin for too long

BuffaloRules

Coach
Embarrasing capitulation in the NSW cup today - not much there.

Some pea hearted defensive efforts.

Halatau probably the only committed effort for the whole game.