What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

POPEYE

Coach
Pop Roy and HG on. Might lighten the load a little.
Didn't notice you were an Immortal JM, remember in future when I take the piss out of the tag you are an exception

and I have no intention of listening to the game, that I know I couldn't take, it'll just be background to 'ACDC Live at River Plate' on my laptop . . . now that's something I could never get enough of

POPEYE

Coach
I was under the impression the key play in AFL was catching a kick on the full, watching the blokes in red knocking each other out of the way and as a consequence spilling the ball so many f**king times has cured my curiosity . . . is it any wonder no other country wants to play the game

Anyway, the million dollar Salford/Hull KR game just finished did something I didn't count on . . . keep me awake. As you'd expect the quality wasn't great but a 60 metre field goal in extra time made it worthwhile

Skimming over the RL headlines is almost as distasteful as watching AFL, the myriad of 'experts' clamouring for the right to justify their existence is as unbelievable as the shit they write. I'm afraid to imagine the consequences if the Sharks lose . . . going to be a long day

POPEYE

Coach
Although a footy atheist with scant regard for grand finals I will concede that today's 'event' could supercede all before it in significance . . . if the Sharks win of course. All you gf buffs will have to face the fact not even the Parramatta 35 year wait will match what could transpire today, all before will be filed away and I'll be grinning from ear to ear

Flippancy aside I don't care about the outcome because I'm convinced the Sharks are on their way to developing a culture, fingers crossed. What they do in the next 10 years if they do it right will relegate today to a piss in the ocean. If all goes well next year will see them reviled by everyone except their supporters, as is the Aussie Wanker Way the 'tall poppy syndrome' will want the Sharks to turn from heroes to zeros

Serious RL supporters amongst us will want the Sharks to discover more new talent because it will be attracted through success, merely living for the occasional gf moment is not enough. A couple of the juggernauts like the Seagles and Roosters have suffered a gliche but that is only shortlived, all the Sharks need do is follow their lead and forget trying to just keep up with their neighbours . . . sorry JM

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Trouble is, its so bloody hard to create any sort of dynasty for a team like the Sharks.

They get the good players coming through then more often than not, they are cherry picked. Only clubs with bottomless TPAs can sustain a run nowadays.

The sooner they cap TPA's and provide REAL incentives to clubs to develop and keep juniors, the better.

Oh.....go the Sharkies!!!!!

Last edited:

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Trouble is, its so bloody hard to create any sort of dynasty for a team like the Sharks.

They get the good players coming through then more often than not, they are cherry picked. Only clubs with bottomless TPAs can sustain a run nowadays.

The sooner they cap TPA's and provide REAL incentives to clubs to develop and keep juniors, the better.

Oh.....go the Sharkies!!!!!
Just ask the Brisbane tpas how good they are to get premierships

POPEYE

Coach
Crikey, this site's harder to get onto than a good looking sheilah, hope the NBN makes it easier for we soc's. Even if it was just another game to me it was still hard watching Melbourne lose, made easier in hindsight when the euphoria was fully taken in. From ET crying to Smith being cheered by most of the crowd the game made Charlize look ordinary in comparison.

The game so unique that one more pass could have spoiled more than just the result it would have drained the hearts of far too many people, at the risky of getting soppy we should all shout 'hallelujah'. In about a week's time Cronulla supporters will still be trying to convince everyone else to continue rejoicing but that won't happen, the Sharks will be as far out of sight, out of mind as the Storm . . . can't f**king spoil 'em can we. It's a shame they don't have half a State to tour as did the Cowboys

Imo Flannigan is this year's best coach just pipping Bellamy and I wouldn't mind Arthur doing the same next year. So, from here on in most of my peripheral attention will be on the Eels, closely followed by Kearney's mob with Henry not far behind . . . of course hoping that Sticky will be there somewhere. I'm looking forward to yet another year of win win, only Benny or Des in the way

POPEYE

Coach
and I forgot to add what should be the biggest recognition of the day, how f**king good is Jason Demetriou. Anyone wanting a good coach should study this bloke's track record

Jason Maher

Immortal
Trust me, every Saints fan right now wants JD promoted and Mary sacked. It will be annoying as hell if our club is too stupid to see what they already have and he winds up coaching somewhere else.

As an old Steelers boy, watching a team wearing the scarlet and white basically win 2 Grand Finals in 2 weeks was a thing of beauty. Yes, it's only reserve grade, but you gotta take what you can get. Whatever happens, I'll love JD forever for what he has done this year with the Cutters.

POPEYE

Coach
Being crook as a dog over the weekend probably saved me from being worse off, I couldn't take up bellyache's invitation for drinks, a 3 square and more drinks at the homestead on gf day. I would've been Roostered by the end of the U20's gf and the 'big one' would've gone down as a blur with Demetriou's Demolition in between

No bullshit, even sitting alone in self pity I had a vibes epiphany, a Roosters' win in the first game wouldn't leave my imagination. Sitting beside bellyache would have required the nerve of Gunga Din and the hollow legs of Rothfield, the bloke would know more about Rooster juniors than Nick and I would have had 80 of the best being reminded of it

Amongst others I've been hearing about at the homestead are Nat Butcher and some bloke Melbourne are supposed to have 'poached' but that can't be . . . incidentally, where did Nat come from if poaching starts at the womb. Anyway, somehow I knew the Roosters were going to win at the beginning of their revival, watching it in serenity drinking nothing but Hydralyte wasn't such a bad thing

POPEYE

Coach
Well that was short lived, bet the Shire thought they'd get better value for their money, went to bed with a lovely lady and woke up with Greenberg . . . Hangover IV in the making. At least Cronulla have Rothfield, his party will never be over in more ways than one and the Telegraph will be in the bedside top drawer in every hotel in the shire for years to come

Why weren't Fifita/Radradra officially told they couldn't be a 'Roo before the gf, was it just a way to sell more media in the off-season. Makes you wonder if Toddy's soapboxing was the way to go, a little more aplomb was in order . . . all too much f**king 'Praise The Lord' for my liking

At least Gallen would have long known he's not the best in his position so the Shire can't be too upset there but surely you'd think 'the only Sydney team' winning the cup deserved their flag higher than half mast on the NRL pole. To an outsider it would appear the Sharks have won a battle through sufferance.

If Flannigan wants to win the war he's going to have to get on the phone for advice, be made to understand that he has 15 adversaries but only one real enemy

POPEYE

Coach
Ever see the cartoon that begins with a tabby cat rummaging through rubbish bins using an upturned lid as a plate. I'm also going to make do with boney titbits, only Silvester is dumb enough to chase Tweety in what will be a f**king long off-season

Storm to miss the WCC, 'World Closet Cup' to those who know best, should get the wankers stirring like a bell would do the evil dead. Anyone watching ESL would realise the Poms should play in Australia, England is the RL Penal Colony and we convicts have paid our dues. I'd rather see Melbourne boycott Origin than WCC but neither would suit the media

I'd bet the shit Radradra is in is because he just doesn't want to play RL full time, probably never did. Emotions/frustrations got too much at home and now the poor prick is caught between a rock and a hard place. Not sure Arthur would agree with all this pandering to 'well being' shit, Semi's world is full of good Wingers and Arthur would have no trouble finding one that is satisfied playing RL . . . Barrett has . . . bad joke, sorry

I haven't read anything yet other than Zero but I bet Confirmed is buzzing with Carter becoming a Rooster . . . all they need now is Fifita

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
for carters sake i'm hoping he goes down the same path as jake friend did at the club, form and career wise it turned out well for jake considering he was in a similar position paul is in now

POPEYE

Coach
Be a shame if Ponga is a smart player who can play in the halves/Fullback and NZ miss out on him . . . for obvious reasons. As it is the Australian based Kiwis who are used to discipline and smart playmakers will be joined by Warriors who are now faced with Kearney's way or the highway. Even though RL brains are like rocking horse shit across the ditch they will get stronger . . . just need a Thurston

Can't blame Watmough for squeezing every penny out of Parramatta, the bloke will need all the help he can get with his life after footy. He must have felt he'd won Lotto when the Eels pulled him out of the wrecking yard, re-ducoed and a kerosene rebuild and put on a cardboard pedestal the dopey prick was bound to suffer from delusions of grandeur

Remember when Luke Douglas played 200+ matches in a row, most of them for the Sharks, if ever a bloke deserved a drink from the cup it is him. Now he's become deadwood at the Titans you have to feel for the bloke, other victims of the 'supplements saga' have come through it better. Let's hope Jarrod Wallace has the same intestinal fortitude

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
A pity the ESL is not much stronger than Qld/NSW Cups, I like the Pom refereeing, the crowd participation and the lack of death riding the game. You have to admire the effort they put in trying to make RL in England appear substantial, imagine what they'd come up with if it was their #1 sport

Then again you wouldn't see the Sandow's of our game in top grade grand finals, so it's better our outcasts have somewhere to make a quid. Still, I'd like to see the best of Britain bivouacked in a NRL team, the 'Perth Poms' has a nice ring to it . . . could always throw in a few Aussies to keep Perth Red happy

Anyway, reality will have us up early tomorrow watching the best the Brits have to offer and I'm certainly not going to watch the game with a cynical eye, beggars can't be choosers. It has to be remembered RL needs the best the Poms have to give, to denigrate their contribution is RL blasphemy

POPEYE

Coach
Something for a bump . . . how about Gidley was by far the most energetic player in the ESL gf, without his tackling Wigan would've romped it in. When there was an overlap which just needed a pass to even the score Gid's again went for the glory dive . . . some things never change

Then there's ol' mate Danny the Weed, Gallen had 6 hours on the piss with Fifita and no mention was made of 'state of mind', didn't stop The Weed from trying to talk the poor sod into feeling sorry for himself. Before making a story out of hard done by Weidler had to convince Andrew he was 'the best prop in the world' . . . it was a f**kwit convention

What is this 'signing Carney' bullshit, the bloke had one good year in the NRL and is struggling to keep his spot in ESL. Sfa to do with his off-field antics, something that was neither here nor there as far I was concerned. His problem is he has convinced too many people to believe in his delusions of grandeur . . . he's simply not as good as waking up with dick in hand imagines him to be

POPEYE

Coach
Benny has probably picked the best side he can for the 4N's but other than those immunized in Australia against mediocrity there aren't many to rave about. I would have liked to see Declan Patton thrown in to salvage a game or two, pity he's only a whippersnipper halfback with promise . . . does a team in Australia need one of those

Well that's it then, the greatest halves pairing in the game have said Perth is a necessary NRL inclusion, this coming from players who should have the most against travelling. If the NRL can't see there's too many teams in the Sydney swamp what are the chances it can see as far as WA's necessity

Storm have jettisoned 8 players, I hope other teams follow their lead and keep within salary cap limits, we badly need a squeaky clean competition. I've tried everything from prawn to worm . . . why not a little bullshit when all else fails

POPEYE

Coach
The right thing to do would be to get behind either the Warriors or Titans for next year's cup whilst hoping your team takes out The Shield . . . can't beat a win win for both yourself and the game. Heaven forbid I've decided to be different, although I don't give a tuppenny f**k about Parramatta and think they should be consumed by Penrith I will nevertheless be hoping Arthur drinks from the cup

Signing Josh Hoffman for 3 years is the epitome of my reasoning, any coach that doesn't want to poach and doesn't think he needs to to keep his job has my full support. Correct me if I'm wrong, there can't be many pre-Arthur Parra players who would have found a horse's head in their beds

If the bloke creates and renovates like he's been taught to do we could see a culture grow in the most unlikeliest of places, which really is a pity . . . in a perfect world Arthur would be leading the way in Perth and the Eels would've slipped into obscurity

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
be great seeing the warriors go all the way, some of the duel code supporters i work with are both mad warriors and auckland blues fans and seeing their soul just crushed each monday after another weekend of seeing a heap of talent run out for both sides only to look like they were lobotmized during the warm up. That if we miss out again seeing bull lillyman lift a trophy would make me smile, geez i wished we kept him at the club as a youngster and not forked out a small fortune for fumbles mcpenalty (also known as carl webb)

POPEYE

Coach
Signing Hayne imo was a step sideways for the Titans, something Arthur must be pleased about, 'losing' Bird is however a step forward. Henry needs to get away from players he has to wait on, excuse or put up with, one in a team is more than enough. I'd bet there's more than meets the eye with Dickie Bird moving on, he's always been a walking shitfight

Dessie should desert before he becomes a drive-by shooting victim, his deep thinking doesn't quite fit in with the populace his mob represent. If you look at the Dogs' roster it too is lacking in IQ points, whether Des is to blame for assembling it is the question. Methinks no-one with any f**king brains wants to play for the Dogs and the coach just had to play to the team's strengths

Speaking of vacant looks, given what Flannigan has done with Prior and Fifita there just might be something that can be done with Tony Williams. With Maloney to feed the big fella his game may elevate from a Dog's breakfast to something palatable

Latest posts