What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

Pops as you are a follower of coaches, have you got any thoughts on any of the coaches in the U20's?
I only ask because John Morris is doing a tremendous job with the Sharks.
He may be the next one in line for a firsts gig.

POPEYE

Coach
Pops as you are a follower of coaches, have you got any thoughts on any of the coaches in the U20's?
I don't watch enough of the 20's ol' mate, but good coaches need to be sought out and nurtured just as players do . . . probably more

POPEYE

Coach
What a great game of footy, the Eels played like 17 interstate truckies, full of beans. I couldn't have been more wrong about their chances after they lost Gutherson, they're far from f**ked

Norman is twice the player Milford is, Brown is as good as any forward in the comp and Holy Moses, Ivan chose the wrong Half to put his money on. Also I have to concede French is as good a Fullback as he is a Winger . . . top notch defender

POPEYE

Coach
A better answer to your question is I'm not sure an U20's gig is a finite enough indicator of a coach's ability, there could be too may extenuating circumstances. I suppose a lot would depend on how much consideration the 20's coach gives to the wishes of the club's NRL coach, is he looking for personal gratification or wants to be part of the big coaching picture

Morris imo might have the advantage of being in a select group of players that were kept around for a reason other than being super talented. Like Bellamy/Gibson/Bennett/Robinson who I reckon became supercoaches through frustration, he may be able to impart what he wanted to do on the field to players more capable than he

There has to be many ex-players who know they know but no-one else knows they know what has to be done, word of mouth their only salvation. The bullshit about cutting a club's administration expenditure could lead to a cutback in searching out not only hidden playing talent but prospective supercoaches

I'd be ecstatic if Morris is another journeyman who ends up being in a more elite group than the best players . . . the list of Supercoaches is the shortest list in RL, imo the most valuable people in the game

A better answer to your question is I'm not sure an U20's gig is a finite enough indicator of a coach's ability, there could be too may extenuating circumstances. I suppose a lot would depend on how much consideration the 20's coach gives to the wishes of the club's NRL coach, is he looking for personal gratification or wants to be part of the big coaching picture

Morris imo might have the advantage of being in a select group of players that were kept around for a reason other than being super talented. Like Bellamy/Gibson/Bennett/Robinson who I reckon became supercoaches through frustration, he may be able to impart what he wanted to do on the field to players more capable than he

There has to be many ex-players who know they know but no-one else knows they know what has to be done, word of mouth their only salvation. The bullshit about cutting a club's administration expenditure could lead to a cutback in searching out not only hidden playing talent but prospective supercoaches

I'd be ecstatic if Morris is another journeyman who ends up being in a more elite group than the best players . . . the list of Supercoaches is the shortest list in RL, imo the most valuable people in the game
Cheers.
As I said previously,I think he is the next coach in line, so to speak.
Personally I hope the Sharks do a smooth transition with him and Flanno, but how does that occur with the only coach to deliver that prize.

POPEYE

Coach
Cheers.
As I said previously,I think he is the next coach in line, so to speak.
Personally I hope the Sharks do a smooth transition with him and Flanno, but how does that occur with the only coach to deliver that prize.
The Sharks need Flanno, if Morris is as good as you say he should apply for Assistant Coach somewhere else . . . plenty of people in this forum will have an idea where

POPEYE

Coach
Roosters/Cowboys saved the day.The footy in the earlier games was so inept it was f**king embarrassing, any Yank sailor on shore leave would've loved the boring shit dished up . . . none of it worth dwelling on or having a whinge at the referees over

Imo Grant Atkins may be the best referee in the game, he certainly follows instructions to the letter, Robbo should send Hook a box of chocolates. Without 'offside' being scrutinized as well as it was Green's mob might've been rowdy on the flight home

The Knights can celebrate in more ways than one, Connor Watson proved he is going to be a great addition. After Robbo's fine coaching display in the 2nd half who am I to doubt his wisdom . . . still, I would have kept Watson at the Roosters

On the lighter side how many Yank sailors would've believed the long haired hippie lookalike with his arm in a sling in the Cowboys dressing room is probably the best RL player of all time . . . especially when they realised NFL>RL is Drag racing>Formula 1

. . . f**k I hate Yank spell-check, does anyone know how to turn it off

POPEYE

Coach
Crikey, off topic I know but I just watched an overseas title elimination fight on Fox where one of the fighters looked as though he had drank a carton of piss, popped a bottle of sleeping pills and was walking on stilts. The bloke looked as though he was actually physically dying on his feet and the wankers let it go into the 4th round . . . makes you realise the worth of RL concussion testing

POPEYE

Coach
Nice to see Smith step it up after oranges, Melbourne have been very ordinary since R17 against the Broncos, the new look team will need to play like that or better to keep The Shield away from the Roosters/Sharks

Liked the look of Jahrome Hughes, he's another reason the Storm freshened up even if it was against a hit-the-wall Seagles . . . still, Barrett's not down-looking-up alone. Mary's got a gearbox that keeps finding a false neutral, Benny's just lost his best player and Sticky can't help being stuck . . . Hook could be the beneficiary of all this

Old man Cleary is emitting almost the same quality vibes as Junior, it's good the Tigers still have a few rounds this season to become accustomed to what Ivan wants. What can I say about the Titans except Zillman and Hayne are Good Vibe Killers . . . don't ask me why, I'm allowed to talk to myself here

POPEYE

Coach
If Cooper was to look at Billy, Cam and possibly a refreshed Johnathon who might have a change of heart and decides to join his mates in one last Origin, which Sydney coach needs him the most

It's looking more like Toovey was the main man at Manly even when he was wearing a trainer's jacket running around with a water bottle, Des seems to have nfi where to find new intelligent talent and what to do with it. So, all the Dogs/Des need is Cronk's leadership on the field, without doubt the club with most to gain

Dragons would have to be next, Cooper would gather Mary's mob around like a Kindy teacher every time they looked like losing the plot . . . an 80 minute attention span would work a treat

The Sharks might not be desperate for Cronk's services but the mind f**king boggles at the thought of him helping Flanno's mob to 3 cups in a row . . . that would be a sight to see

Rabbitohs would go gangbusters with him if the players/coach did what he asked of them . . . methinks Cronk would suffer more from banging his head against a brick wall than from any cowardly late tackle

Be nice to see him in blue and gold, Cronk would remove some of the fragility of the Eels, whether or not he'd keep up the frantic pace necessary behind a small pack is the question

Penrith don't need him and even Nick would have trouble explaining why Cronk is playing for peanuts

I hope Cronk sees the media as his immediate future, even if I don't like the thought of Qld going without him the idea of Cronk saving Des & Kieran's career is abominable

. . . I left out the Seagles, they're not really a Sydney team and Wests shouldn't be

POPEYE

Coach
Not a good time for the Eels to face the Dogs who have nothing left to do but damage whoever they play. Depends if the players are really behind Des, if they care he may get shafted . . . Parra will win easily if they survive the barrage

All Mary and Madge can do is tell their mobs to pretend this game is the Charity Shield . . . what else is there to say that might keep their minds on the job

The jerk-off accolades will soon weigh down Melbourne, the Cowboys may not be the first to beat them but it will happen. With 5 teams left to play I wouldn't mind if it was the Cowboys to win and bring the Storm back down to earth

Why are the Warriors favourites to beat the Knights. That's what I hate about bookies, they're the only team that can't be beaten

Thanks to the Titans being demoralized weeks ago by bad refereeing Benny's mob won't have to worry about Big Game Hayne. Be interesting to see how Hunt goes at #9, who would he rather give the ball to, will he do a 'Wallace', will he try a 'Smith'

If I had a million bucks to throw away I'd bet on the Raiders to beat the Sharks, since I'm not smart enough to earn the dough it sounds reasonable . . . stranger things have happened, eh Donald

Biggest threat to the Roosters is the thought of a Seagles three-peat. Manly were put off by the Dragons who play better when they pretend to be Steelers and by Melbourne who don't lose milestone games. Won't help that they're playing at f**king 'Lottoland', much prefer 'Brookie' . . . still, pride is at stake here

Be funny if Brooks played two good games in a row, the Tigers walloped the Panthers, as a result Tedesco and Woods reneged on leaving and Ivan suddenly became the go-to man . . . yes, that would be a f**king laugh beyond all imagination

POPEYE

Coach
I find it ironic with bad news being RL's best seller, the media thriving on the difficulties Hasler, Barrett, Stuart, Maguire, McGregor and Kearney are facing, the port in the storm is Newcastle. Ordinarily the Knights would be everyone's whipping boy, instead they are RL's Little Boy Lost . . . next year or the one after the club with the most deserving supporters will stand up and be heard

The new tact of dismissing egos and searching for desires might really work, if every player in the joint has a point to prove and the point is justified how can people like Ikin find fault in the Knights. The trick for Brown is not to give in to a wish list like Benny with Taylor . . . does he really 'need' Pongia, let's hope he never turns to the dark side of poaching

POPEYE

Coach
Said it before, say it again, the only thing nearly as good as RL games are the pressers afterwards and yes, it's still a shame they're as inaudible as sitting next to a Long Bay visitor. If you wanted to submit evidence in a court of law as to the incompetence of the NRL a video of press conferences would easily do the trick

Rant aside, the smart coaches who don't want to appear smarter than the viewers who are trying to guess the questions, play their own little game. Arthur learnt well from Bellamy who learnt from Benny, keep it simple but concise, speak like a punter in words easily understood . . . never get the dopey pricks asking the questions offside

Arthur could hardly contain his excitement as he went about the business of keeping his players in check in case of future reference, obviously muttering 'dumb merkin' under his breath to some of the questions. The most interest for me is reading between the lines, understanding what the coach did to help win/lose the game

Great coaches are at it every time they open their mouth, the best realise being caught out even a little by their players has dire consequences, the longer the presser takes the better the artisan the coach is . . . pity the effort is treated in a shambolic way by the NRL

POPEYE

Coach
Getting tired of hearing about Cam Smith, if it's not the media building him up and wankers tearing him down now Green's favourite referee is running around calling out his name. I tried to warn everyone about Klein, Ashley would penalize his mother if she got out of step in the Pride of Erin . . . the only thing I miss about Origin is the refereeing

The Cowboys should've been beaten because of injuries, could've won if they had taken advantage of Ashley's dislike for Bellamy. The usual Klein shemozzle now has Green as his public enemy #1, be interesting when the Cowboys rise to the top will the NRL regularly assign him to referee their games . . . got to keep the comp 'even'

Anyway, there was another game, one most of us would rather forget, I'm trying to find a way to blame McCrone . . . or maybe Dugan for going off looking for a bowl of cat food. To tell the truth The Vibes had it that Souths were going to win from the get-go, unshakeable they were . . . they're the real culprit

POPEYE

Coach
The Raiders need a better quality #7, they can make do with Austin, the performance they put on would be replicated consistently if Sticky's mob had a footy brain leading them around the paddock . . . desperate enthusiasm alone like tonight will only work spasmodically

The Sharks are baloney without Maloney

POPEYE

Coach
Topic in the valley of longnecks last night was will Cleary Jnr take his old man's advice and think carefully before he signs anything. There was a headline on the Tele site this morning something to do with it, I'll have to take the missus for coffee, f**ked if I'm going to subscribe to read it

Anyway, not hard to guess that Cleary will be worth more than what Jabba will try to steal him for. My bet is Ivan will tell Nathan to wait and see if he's picked for Origin, if he is and NSW win a series . . . don't sign anything yet son

Come to think of it why should any potential champion sign long term contracts, just the up-down US dollar is enough of a deterrent, let alone the thought of club ceo's rubbing their hands together at the thought of ripping off an adolescent

Methinks Nathan should know by now his exceptional Cool Hand Luke demeanor combined with his obvious talent has him holding all the cards. One day he could almost hire himself out as a million dollar a season 'Temp', clubs like the Broncos/Dogs/Tigers/Dragons/Raiders would pay him to pull them out of the shit

POPEYE

Coach
Marvellous how much one player makes such a big difference that it seems insurmountable when it shouldn't. Take Blake Green out of the Seagles and not even DCE can save the day. The Dragons won because he wasn't there and Melbourne won with him there because they knew Green like a brother

Do people realise how important Cordner is to the Roosters or maybe no-one can make up for the tackles of Friend. Moses is now obviously worth more to the Eels than he was to the Tigers even if he couldn't have played worse than Brooks against the Panthers

The Titans on the other hand play like shit because Hayne plays like shit, if the bloke on twice the money thinks it Vaudeville why should the troupe carry him

It's not always the legendary players that if they are missing make the difference, with a wry smile on my face I hope the gf and the finals that decide who play in it see every team with a full compliment of players . . . if Wankerland's season is to be decided by one game let it be a true indicator

POPEYE

Coach
Henry has apparently 'lost the dressing room' and Kearney says his players aren't trying, not the same thing as Sticky or Des hanging by their balls because their players care what happens to the coach

All Des/Sticky have to do to keep the media happy is win a few games, after all their predicament is a gliche more easily overcome than players losing faith in the coach. So, what do Henry/Kearney do now if the players really have lost interest, can't do much other than accept a Jason Taylor punishment

If the Warriors/Titans' players say it's not the coach's fault there is only one thing they can do, regain control. Henry needs to send Hayne to State Cup, my bet is the malingerer would feign an injury to stop him playing but there would be no better message to send to players/media. Hayne mightn't be the only one to blame but he is the highest profile player Henry can do without

Kearney needs to line up the 'non-triers' in front of the rest of the squad and put them on notice, forget the 'come to my office for a one-on-one chat bullshit' . . . let the world know who is to blame along with him when he gets the arse

POPEYE

Coach
It's a bit embarrassing for the Dogs to be the underdogs against Souths, not that Souths can't win but only a bookie would risk money on them. It's really a contest between a team wearing rose coloured glasses versus one with blinkers . . . Madge and Des are in the same leaky boat

Eels will have to play against the Knights like their season depends on it, beating the Broncos/Dogs will mean sfa if Parra imagine Newcastle aren't equally as dangerous. Mitchell Barnett would like to be Nathan Brown and Lamb would like to be Norman

Can't wait to see what Maloney does to Milford, don't take your eyes off for a second, even a blink could miss it. Sharks in with a real chance if the Broncos don't realise there are different shades of light blue

I don't like watching the Dragons when McCrone plays or the Titans when Hayne plays, it's like Chaz Mostert trying to win with a deflating tyre. Still, these two playing to potential even if handicapped should be a good game . . . fingers crossed

If the game wasn't being played at AAMI methinks the Roosters would win . . . if the Sharks lose like they 'should' and the Storm play like they 'shouldn't' . . . f**k it, I'm waiting for the vibes

Can't judge the Cowboys by last round's battle of the sauna but with Cooper to top off the toll and every game Cleary plays lessens complacency . . . not much chance the new Panthers will beat themselves now

I'm trying to imagine the Warriors beating the Raiders . . . if that were to happen the game would be nothing compared to the post game entertainment

I like Grant Atkins as a referee, he hasn't picked up too many bad habits yet, he's probably too good to see the Tigers/Seagles game finish any differently than expected

POPEYE

Coach
I read that some western Sydney clubs are whinging that the Seagles are poaching 'their' juniors, even approaching some as young as 13. Forget my stance that no player is 'poachable' until he plays in the top grade, all clubs are required to promote 'catchment' juniors . . . if some have an over abundance to choose from all well and good

The NRL say that Manly are not breaking any rules by approaching juniors from anywhere which is great to hear. Imagine a Brisbane catchment area where every junior who had thoughts of playing for Benny was branded with a Broncos tattoo

It's bad enough there are too many teams in Sydney, to protect them further by 'he belongs to me if I decide to use him' is bullshit. Some clubs have shit talent scouts, shit coaches, doubtful promises and lousy prospects of advancement . . . Des says hello

Be great if every parent who thinks their son is a potential champion has to move house, or play Soccer/AFL because there are too many like him who live in the same 'catchment' area. If the NRL ever says juniors 'belong' to an NRL club before they are given the chance to play in the NRL it is dumber than most people suggest