What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refs who aren't so bad right now

I remember getting Big League back in the early-mid 2000s and checking to see who you'd gotten that week. You'd groan if it was Tony Archer or Shayne Hayne. You'd be hoping for Harrigan or Mander, but even if you missed them you still had Sean Hampstead, Paul Simpkins or Steve Clark.

The current lot makes the above look like a group of f**king refereeing savants.

Good Point Timbo. However ask Dragons fans about Steve Clark... oh and Charles Manson...

But on topic..

Imagine a job where you get booed and bagged for doing your job by people who don't do or understand your job..

I reckon the current refs are under more scrutiny than ever before. Video Refs, replays, bunkers, rule changes every year, cunning coaches and players, and more so this year... COMMENTATORS AND JOURNOS...

And so I think with all that - they are overall doing the best job anyone can expect.

I was a big fan of the crackdown earlier this year. No not because Dragons were going alright - but the Refs were cleaning up the Ruck and the Ten Metres - not "Overlooking" it to "let the game flow".. The biggest bane of existence recently was "the wrestle" - it's hardly been mentioned at all - if at all - this year... Players are now playing the ball correctly... Sides were being kept back on side better.... I think that's a great result.

I'll blow up like anyone at a penalty against the dragons I think is bollocks... Ill also blow up at penalties we don't get which are just as bollocks.. But I've been doing that since Adam taught Jesus how to pass to the right... - it's just a Footy Fans' lot in life...

Danish

Referee
Tbh I don’t think any ref is egregiously bad. The problem is the system they are forced to ref under.

the blokes who at times in the NRL have made horrid decisions like Cummins, Sutton, Klein etc all morph into tremendous referees when they get to ref differently during origin, and then look even better again when they get the call up to internationals.

Springs09

Juniors
Are reports in the media that Matt Cecchin may be off to the UK Super League to referee.

If it's a comparable wage then I don't see why he wouldn't go. You'd still get bagged out by the boofhead English fans but at least you wouldn't be front and centre of Sydney's media every year for the annual referees in crisis month getting abused by every f**kwit coach and journalist

If it's a comparable wage then I don't see why he wouldn't go. You'd still get bagged out by the boofhead English fans but at least you wouldn't be front and centre of Sydney's media every year for the annual referees in crisis month getting abused by every f**kwit coach and journalist

The report was more along the lines of him being frozen out by Bernard Sutton, and as such Cecchin having the shits with the politics surrounding NRL refereeing appointments within the refereeing hierarchy.

typicalfan

Coach
Cam Smith - most influenecial ref!
Cam Smith is the Chuck Norris of reffing.

Cam Smith was once penalised multiple times in a short space in time. A warning was finally given and when yet another penalty was blown, the ref was given 10 minutes in the bin as punishment.