What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart - New Eels coach

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
or the retirements if hindmarsh and burt?

#JustMakingSureWeHaveAllPou'sScapegoatsCovered

The only reason those two were still playing first grade this year was because of the club bowing to the fans.

Hindy was still an average first grader but a player with that much experience and reputation doesn't come cheaply. The only reason to keep older players like that around is for their leadership and there's plenty of evidence that Hindmarsh is a poor leader.

We could have had a younger player give us the same playing ability and the same shit negative leadership for half the price. Plus he would have been gaining experience.

The only reason those two were still playing first grade this year was because of the club bowing to the fans.

Hindy was still an average first grader but a player with that much experience and reputation doesn't come cheaply. The only reason to keep older players like that around is for their leadership and there's plenty of evidence that Hindmarsh is a poor leader.

We could have had a younger player give us the same playing ability and the same shit negative leadership for half the price. Plus he would have been gaining experience.

no bites? you are losing your touch pou

fishing-for-fail.jpg

lingard

Coach
to be fair on SK for 5 seconds if I may, he had to deal with a pretty horrendous injury toll which included our 1 who practically didn't play half the season.

And he had to contend with a very poor roster indeed. In retrospect it was a very ill-timed appointment. I`m very glad he`s gone, though. It was a big call by the club to sign Kearney, and it failed. They did the right thing in letting him go before things got even worse. But, yeah, Kearney had a lot to contend with. I bet he wishes he`d waited two years and he might have been offered the Warriors job - with, what I reckon, is a better roster than ours (except for Hayne).

And he had to contend with a very poor roster indeed. In retrospect it was a very ill-timed appointment. I`m very glad he`s gone, though. It was a big call by the club to sign Kearney, and it failed. They did the right thing in letting him go before things got even worse. But, yeah, Kearney had a lot to contend with. I bet he wishes he`d waited two years and he might have been offered the Warriors job - with, what I reckon, is a better roster than ours (except for Hayne).

i wish he had gone for a reggies coaching position first to get used to coaching by himself without being under the microscope of first grade (especially at parra!)

theres only so much you can learn by watching someone else do something eventually you have to try it yourself

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Kearneys coaching ability may be in doubt but i do give him some credit (well i believe anyway)in putting together a squad with plenty of up side.

- we have a few young backs now with some decent nrl experience and plenty of potential
- when we started our halve depth was sh?t we now have several options
- the junior structure has apparently been fixed up
- he let a lot of dead wood go
- while the forwards need improvements there is quite a few options available to us - and he gave starts to paulo and Ryan
- he did sign hoppa who could be anything
- I really like the fact he gave plenty of young players the opportunity
- and the most important thing is he didn't fu$k up the cap, he has left us in good shape considering we still have a few dollars to spend for 2013

I reckon squad is now primed to really kick on under a hard arse coach

Last edited:

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Kearneys coaching ability may be in doubt but i do give him some credit (well i believe anyway)in putting together a squad with plenty of up side.

- we have a few young backs now with some decent nrl experience and plenty of potential
- when we started our halve depth was sh?t we now have several options
- the junior structure has apparently been fixed up
- he let a lot of dead wood go
- while the forwards need improvements there is quite a few options available to us - and he gave starts to paulo and Ryan
- he did sign hoppa who could be anything
- I really like the fact he gave plenty of young players the opportunity
- and the most important thing is he didn't fu$k up the cap, he has left us in good shape considering we still have a few dollars to spend for 2013

I reckon squad is now primed to really kick on under a head arse coach

I'm interested to hear more about the head arse coach.

strider

Post Whore
league is so professional now - there are even coaches primarily responsible just for arses!

strider

Post Whore
one thing i'd like to add ....

we give SK credit for not f**king the cap - and thats cool - i agree 100% - i have hated when past coaches (*cough* hagan) just used up the cap cos it was there

yet we bag ando for signing guys like walker, whateuria (sp?), hicks ... he signed em to 1 yr deals so he didn't "f**k up the cap" ... hello!

spartan2153

Juniors
one thing i'd like to add ....

we give SK credit for not f**king the cap - and thats cool - i agree 100% - i have hated when past coaches (*cough* hagan) just used up the cap cos it was there

yet we bag ando for signing guys like walker, whateuria (sp?), hicks ... he signed em to 1 yr deals so he didn't "f**k up the cap" ... hello!

they were signed after ando was sacked on kearneys watch

Eels Dude

Coach
Whatuira, Hicks, and Walker were all signed around or after DA's sacking. It was also after Tahu released and Grothe retired (both while SK was in charge) hence they were signed to replace those two losses. DA did sign Maguire, Maitua, and Webb though. Well at least they were signed while he was head coach.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Who bagged him for that? Most people bagged Kearney for it.

Anyway, signing all those oldies to fill a gap was astute trading and use of the cap. Anderson deserves credit forhis part in it, as well as for getting rid of Mateo and Inu.

Last edited:

Kornstar

Coach
No you are correct! We had the best roster in the NRL and should have won back-to-back premierships, I apologise for taking away your scapegoat.

#WeCanAllPlayThisGame

Please quote where i said we had the best roster? Since you only post facts, I would love to see it.....

#wanker

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No, you are correct! He was the best thing to ever happen to the club, I apologize for stepping out of line.

Please quote where i said he was the best thing to ever happen to the club? Since you only post facts, I would love to see it.....

#lol

Latest posts