What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Cliff Watson

Generalzod

Immortal
Yep really sad I used to see him at the cancer care centre at Sutherland Hospital, I was keeping my father company while the nurses where administering chemo. RIP Sharkie Gladiator

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Sad news, a great competitor in one of the most Brutal Grand Final ever, Vale Cliff, too young to have seen you play but you passed away far too young.

Very sad, I remember Cliff very well, even got his autograph outside the gates of the SCG when we were playing Newtown in a match of the day in mid 1973. He really lifted and strengthened our pack back in the day, He was equal parts skill and brute strength.

carcharias

Immortal
I know nothing about him
Except the pics that quigs has posted.

I hope he got to enjoy 2016 at least.

I used to see him around Cronulla Mall a fair bit. A real nice bloke, an ornament to the Sharks and a bona fide Rugby League legend (he did a heap for St Helens and the Poms national side).

A sad day for all Sharkies.

I never saw him play in the flesh. My old man got me to know him when he worked at The Workers though.
See ya Cliff.

One of the best moments of the GF Victory, was having breakfast down the Cronulla Mall & seeing 2 old blokes walking slowly along engrossed in each others conversation.
I jumped out of my seat with phone & approached these 2 guys & asked if I could get my photo taken with them. We chatted for about ten minutes at which time my gang realised who these guys were & all dived in for photo opportunities.
By the time I left there were aroudn 50 people waiting for photos & quick chat.
He loved every minute of it.
& so did Tommy.
Vale Legend

shaggs

Coach
Many a Sunday at my grandfathers when I was a real young bloke was spent kicking a footy around while Cliff an Tommy and my grandfather sat on the back porch of his place having a beer and a chat.

Almost a year to the day that my grandfather passed away.
Couple of mates meeting up again.

Quigs

Immortal
Just saw this -
Sad sad news indeed. Big Cliff Watson has passed away today. Cliffy was one of my all time favourite players. Tough as teak and loved nothing better than to rattle a few oppoisition forwards. Old school to his back teeth.
Thanks for the memories Champion.

Cliff Watson was one of the first Legends listed in the Era Of The Biff website.
Here is his page with some great links and stories.
https://eraofthebiff.worldsecuresystems.com/p30.html
p-30-7.jpg
1973_GF.jpg
p-30-18.jpg

Quigs

Immortal
Cliff was also part of the last Pommy Side to win the series against the Aussies in 1970.

(and thank the Gods that Big Cliffy got to see the Mighty Sharks finally win the big one)

p-30-4.jpg

p-30-10.jpg

Cliffy also tasted sweet victory in the many cups during his time in the UK

p-30-11.jpg

Frenzy.

Immortal
I think I saw just about every game Cliff played. That was back in the days when my mates and I got the bus to the away games and terrorised the now Family Hill at Endeavour.

He was my favourite player of that era. Moreso even than Tommy. Tommy gets a lot of deserved credit for his deeds in the early 70s but it was Cliff and his partner in crime, the unsung Graham Bowen, who brought “bottle” to the club.

Vale Cliff Watson

Quigs

Immortal
I think I saw just about every game Cliff played. That was back in the days when my mates and I got the bus to the away games and terrorised the now Family Hill at Endeavour.

He was my favourite player of that era. Moreso even than Tommy. Tommy gets a lot of deserved credit for his deeds in the early 70s but it was Cliff and his partner in crime, the unsung Graham Bowen, who brought “bottle” to the club.

Vale Cliff Watson

Second the motion but in my mind Tommy just pips him as my favourite

p-30-18.jpg

Latest posts