What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC Pros and Cons

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Pro - the whole NZ/Tonga spectacle. Awesome

Con - the group stage format. Samoa qualify with 0 wins from 3 matches. Ireland could (likely will) miss out out with 2 wins from 3 matches.

That is ludicrous.

They need to move to 4 groups of 4 at the next event.
Agreed can't wait for the new format next World Cup.

Force

Juniors
Pro: Tonga beating NZ

Con: How crap have the crowds been in OZ?...should've just staged it in NZ and PNG with the bumper crowds/atmosphere in those Countries.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Pro - the whole NZ/Tonga spectacle. Awesome

Con - the group stage format. Samoa qualify with 0 wins from 3 matches. Ireland could (likely will) miss out out with 2 wins from 3 matches.

That is ludicrous.

They need to move to 4 groups of 4 at the next event.

Agree that C and D were totally flawed set ups...

Maybe they could have doe a single group of 6 (with the cross-over matches, the fixtures would have been the same). Or at least offered a Wildcard slot for something like this.

I still think its amateur to have Aus-England in the first round. That match this weekend (3 weeks warm-up and first place to play for) would have been fantastic. i get that they wanted it as an opener, but Aus VS Lebanon would have been just as good...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Pro: Tonga beating NZ

Con: How crap have the crowds been in OZ?...should've just staged it in NZ and PNG with the bumper crowds/atmosphere in those Countries.

With the success of PNG, it would have been great to see a match or 2 tried in West Papua or somewhere else in SEAsia...

Aus clearly dont give too much of a shit, but the islanders have shown real passion.

King hit

Coach
From the qualifying rounds I can easily say that we have seen more positives then negatives at this world cup

Positives

- Tonga beating New Zealand showing how far pacific rugby league has come
- The performances of Lebanon
- Great atmosphere in PNG and New Zealand
- Very good coverage by 7
- Some surprise results and good contests
- Excellent TV ratings
- Passion of the teams
- The result isn't a foregone conclusion. Australia look like they are struggling with their attitude and they can be beaten

Negatives

- France bowing out early and Italy's performances. They are the most disappointing team
- Disappointing crowds in Australia
- Flawed qualifying rounds to get into the finals. Samoa not winning and going through

Some flaws but overall it's been a very good world cup

Stallion

First Grade
From the qualifying rounds I can easily say that we have seen more positives then negatives at this world cup

Positives

- Tonga beating New Zealand showing how far pacific rugby league has come
- The performances of Lebanon
- Great atmosphere in PNG and New Zealand
- Very good coverage by 7
- Some surprise results and good contests
- Excellent TV ratings
- Passion of the teams
- The result isn't a foregone conclusion. Australia look like they are struggling with their attitude and they can be beaten

Negatives

- France bowing out early and Italy's performances. They are the most disappointing team
- Disappointing crowds in Australia
- Flawed qualifying rounds to get into the finals. Samoa not winning and going through

Some flaws but overall it's been a very good world cup

Another negative was the lack of radio coverage. One more negative is certain referees are prone to blowing their whistle way too much ! Another positive is the performance of the Irish and a much improved effort from the Scottish side with a player cleanout included. It should be noted that the USA team were home mostly home grown domestic players which is a significant improvement from previous line ups. (Watch that space in North America- Canada is coming too!) This cup has been refreshing for rugby league as a code. One more positive would be a long overdue recognition of rugby league as a distinct sport due to another funfilled and upset creating world cup as a case in point.

Last edited:

Force

Juniors
Pro - Lebanon v Tonga game of epic proportions
- Fiji v NZ another close contest with a Fiji win.
- the end of Kidwell

Con - When are organisers going to learn, Rugby League in NZ is really only centered in and around Auckland, elsewhere its pretty much non-existent and the crowds at the two quarter finals proved that. Those two games should've been held in Auckland and Hamilton. If they wanted to give Wellington and Christchurch games then they should've given them pool games.

Rory

Juniors
- the end of Kidwell

Con - When are organisers going to learn, Rugby League in NZ is really only centered in and around Auckland, elsewhere its pretty much non-existent and the crowds at the two quarter finals proved that. Those two games should've been held in Auckland and Hamilton. If they wanted to give Wellington and Christchurch games then they should've given them pool games.

Very fair call. But we'd want league to grow there aswell.

Stallion

First Grade
- the end of Kidwell

Most ticket prices were disgraceful! That's a major concern of this tournament!

Perth Red

Post Whore
After the snoresville Australia game, today was exactly what we needed. Great effort by Fiji and the other two. Whilst it isngreat to see the minnows getting up the damage to the kiwis from today will take some mending.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
After the snoresville Australia game, today was exactly what we needed. Great effort by Fiji and the other two. Whilst it isngreat to see the minnows getting up the damage to the kiwis from today will take some mending.

I think this comp will be great for the NZRL; it has showed them the way to make a bit more cash...

The NZ-Tonga or ever a 3/4 nations tournament would get big interest in NZ and could be the thing they need to start generating a regular income.

The team itself will bounce back quickly as long as Kidwell is booted.

Stallion

First Grade
The ones in Hamilton were cheap. $10~$20~$40 etc...

Most ticket prices throughout this tournament . And the convoluted means of ticket allocation featuring segmented realeases were frustrating for potential attendees . It was a shambles in the ticketing area for this tournament. This negatively impacted on overall attendance figures.

Stallion

First Grade
A shame....

Wasnt expecting an upset but i was hoping for a contest.

This game should have been played in Port Moresby. (Full house)However I'm sure the travelling English fans would have enjoyed Melbourne. Maybe that was the thinking by organisers?

Latest posts