RLWC2017 Crowd Watch

Discussion in 'World Cup 2017' started by morningstar, Jun 23, 2017.

1. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

The surplus of tropics games was really a merkin of a move by the organisers.
    European teams will be up against it.

Coastbloke likes this.
  2. deal.with.it

deal.with.it Juniors

Get over it. Same euro countries won't complain when the wc profits pay their annual grants.

3. Burns

Burns Juniors

Barlow Park (Cairns ground) is on the telly now for the Bunnies v Cowboys. It looks like a sell out.

It does look 'amatuerish', but if they can pack out the 3 World Cup pools games, it'll be a good look.

4. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

24 degrees during the game in Cairns today. In mid-winter.
    Lol.

5. Storm13

Storm13 Juniors

Same temp in Brisbane.

6. Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz Juniors

The crowd today was 11,700-odd, from memory.

7. Billythekid

Billythekid Bench

Therein lies the problem. Even if the games sellout they'll still be small crowds and it will still look amateurish. It wouldn't be so bad if they were all pool matches but it shouldn't be getting one of the biggest drawing games of the tournament.

Whilst I'm personally excited for the tournament I'm not very confident about its prospects for success.

8. Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz Juniors

Yes, but the important thing above all else is that the tournament makes a decent profit … if it means small crowds in smallish venues for some pool games, so be it.

9. LeagueXIII

LeagueXIII Bench

The reason these games are in these venues is because they stumped up the cash to pay for games.

10. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

Yep, a bird in the hand and all that!

11. Ari Gold

Ari Gold Bench

Fiji v Italy PAX 864 purchased tonight

DlEHARD likes this.
  12. deal.with.it

deal.with.it Juniors

So if the regional/small venue matches (cairns, townsville, darwin, canberra) draw 5-15k in "amateurish" stadiums, but the total world cup breaks attendance records and the rlif records it's highest profits (5M+), are all you lot still gonna complain? Typical RL fans. Qld, NT, and ACT governments want to pay big $$ for matches, and we're meant to say no? US! RUGBY f**kING LEAGUE!! The sport that has been f**ked over for ever!!! We now have government wanting us! f**k me dead. Whinge and complain. For ever a rugby league fans prerogative.

cleary89, Dakink and titoelcolombiano like this.
  13. Billythekid

Billythekid Bench

Obviously if the World Cup breaks attendance records and brings in a massive profit then the World Cup will be a success. I'll be happy to say so myself.

I still think that long term the look of being successful matters. International rugby league is still seen as second rate competition and I want to see that mindset changed. Seeing big crowds in big stadiums is a good way to help make that happen.

I'm not against using smaller grounds for some games, especially group games. I'm not so sure about double and triple headers. My main concern is the big matches being played in small venues. Australia playing a QF in Darwin for example is a missed opportunity (maybe I'm remembering that wrong).

Hopefully every game sells out, rates well on TV and the tournament is a huge success (with someone other than Australia prevailing!). I love international league and want to see it succeed.

IntRLEnthusiast, Emu01 and adamkungl like this.
  14. cleary89

cleary89 Coach

Anyone else get a gig as a volunteer? Should be interesting.