What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rookie Team of the Year

Puntastic

Juniors
Stoked to see Moylan even get a mention, let alone so highly. Docker is a workhorse, a Nigel Plum Mini-Me and well deserves the praise after coming out of a bashing and a coma to be one of the toughest bastards on the field at any given time.

For mine, I think George Burgess has to be the runaway winner this year. While some of the guys there have spark, GB seems to have consistency and staying power that a lot of juniors don't, and that's worth something in my book.

Discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:

BranVan3000

Coach
George Burgess. Tom Burgess a bit hard done by, he is going great as well. Most rookies averaging over 100m per game off the bench like he is would be straight on this list

Son of Minto

Bench
The 3 games or less the previous year rule is bullshit. The award should go to someone who made actually made their debut in 2013.

Ray Parlour

Juniors
I take it Stockwell isn't eligible?

He has been better than all the forwards named bar burgess and Harris

Danish

Referee
Didn't George burgess play last year? How is he a rookie that being the case?

How many games did RTS play in 2012? He is the only guy who could possibly take the rookie of the year award off big George.

Three from the group of Tom Burgess, Nofoaluma, Milford, Moylan and Harris will probably round out the nominees.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Not a single Knight.

Remember when we were a boom junior nursery only getting buy on our locally developed talent?

BranVan3000

Coach
Which is wrong. To be eligible for the Rookie of the Year you must have played your first game in that season.
The rule is you play no more than three games the previous season.

Which makes sense, plenty of coaches - especially in the bottom 8 sides, will blood new players in the last couple of games when its clear finals are out of the picture. That should not make them ineligible for Rookie of the year

Noname36

First Grade
Not a single Knight.

Remember when we were a boom junior nursery only getting buy on our locally developed talent?

Remember when we had Andrew Johns on the books who (along with a couple of others) made that "locally developed talent" look like world beaters?

Danish

Referee
George only played in round 13, 18 and 19 last year. So he is still eligible for this year's rookie award

Did he start in any of those games?

If you start, even if only 1 game, that is your rookie year as far as I am concerned

natheel

Coach
Although we have had a crap year we have some young guys coming through that have me thinking things will be OK in the future. Good to see Peni to be recognised and if he didn't get injured I'd say Kelepi Tanginoa would've been there

TheVelourFog

First Grade
Did he start in any of those games?

If you start, even if only 1 game, that is your rookie year as far as I am concerned

i agree

a truly talented rookie would soon force themselves into the first team and be worthy of the rookie of the year tag

Any reason this "team of the year" has been named so early? Can't help but think that Keary would be the 5/8 if named after round 26. Hiku, as good hs he's been filling in at fullback for Stewart, is hardly a star half.

Gurgess is a certainty to take out the top gong IMO. Surprised Harris's name hasn't been thrown up as a ROTY contender along side Gurgess, Moylan and Milford though. Has been very good.

Thought Buchanan was hard done by not to snag a "starting" position. Tanginoa was close to the Eels best forward in the majority of his games this year (not saying much I know) so I expected him to make this list despite only playing 9 games.