What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 02 (2004) Rhinos v Easts

The Backpacker

Juniors
Rhinos v Easts

Game Thread
Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles). Any other posts will result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.

New rule: Home team captains allowed one extra reserve.

**Referee Blows Game On!**

Full Time: Wednesday 7th April, 2004. 9:00PM AEDT (Sydney time)

Venue: Stampede Stadium
ground_stampede_1.jpg

Crowd: 28,290

REFEREE: salivor

Please Note: Only original essays, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

ParraMatt

Bench
Rhinos Lead out by Gobbso run onto the field for the second game at home for the year, What a reception, Im sure this will be a sellout again, It's gonna be a beauty.

Rhinos Team

Gobbso (c)
Hybrid (vc)
Jeffles
Ibeme
Miccle

Reserves

Dodge
Lyon
Matt23

Raider_69

Post Whore
[9] Raider_69 running out for his debut match for Easts against his old team Rhinos

The Buck Stops Here

Yes thats right ladies and gentleman, the age-old battle that has been fought in the rugby league stadiums for years. In the red corner, standing 6 feet 6 inches and weighing in at 130kgs- MONEY! In the blue corner standing 6 feet and 10 inches- LOYALTY! Seems like a bit of a mismatch but for many a years gone past the fight was a very one-sided one, but in today's society of money and power, the almighty dollar has reigned supreme.

In the great sport we call Rugby League, the battle of money V loyalty has been some what of a one-sided affair as of late. It is rare to find players who have stayed loyal to that club that made them a house hold name for example Jason Croker who needs nothing more than a handshake to know a deal is set in stone, of corse their are the exceptions where a player takes it upon themselves to help out their team like Luke Davico and Lance Thompson.

With todays playing roster dictated by the salary cap, it is becoming increasingly difficult for a club to retain players like Lance Thompson and Luke Davico who have been with their respective clubs since day one of their senior careers. These guys replayed their clubs loyalty over the years after both accepting huge pay-cuts in hopes that the money saved on them can help their club retain other potential stars.

Such an act is a noble one, but something not often seen or at least not often enough for my liking. In these times players tend to chase the big money and turn their backs on the very thing that made them a superstar. Players like Justin Hodges and Brett Finch turned their backs on their clubs and fans that had pinned their hopes on these youngsters, to chase the big money and both received some public backlash for their decisions. Brett Finch received some pretty harsh e-mail sent via the raiders fans, some pretty harsh words by frustrated fans but most were fair, whilst Hodges was sent back to the Queensland cup and copped a hammering from broncos fans.

But its not just players but also clubs, I cite the Raiders and Panthers actions towards club men Scott Sattler, Ricky Stuart and Brad Clyde as examples. All proud club men that should have had the opportunity to finish their careers with the clubs they loved. All of those would have no doubt wanted nothing more than to remain at their respective clubs but administration showed them no loyalty to save a few bucks. This time it was the clubs that backed the 7 foot giant in for the win.

The NRL have not done enough in this writers opinion to encourage loyalty. They have introduced concession but its not enough. This has lead to several high profile players not just turning their backs on fans and clubs but the Rugby League community. Matt Rogers, Wendell Sailor and Lote Tiquiri are 3 examples of players that turned their backs on the League community to chase the almighty, chasing the dream of being a world-wide superstar.

Once again the almighty dollar prevailed over loyalty and yet the NRL do nothing to stop it, had the NRL installed some sort of system to combat this maybe these elite players would still be running around in Rugby League today. Once again the mammoth beast that is power, glory and money has won...

what a shame.

After all this said, it would be silly of me to not attempt a solution, as they say "if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem" so heres what im thinking. For those who want to chase the dream of a union world cup, let them go, we have plenty of youngsters waiting in the junior ranks to fill the void, and lets do away with this discount for one player stuff, anyone that has been with a club senior team for 10 years should be exempt from the salary cap

So where do we go from here? Should the NRL do more to help the under-rated loyalty win the David and Goliath battle? And if so what? These are questions that the National Rugby League and in the Union switches the ARL should be asking themselves. Such an obvious miss match will only lead to further anarchist actions against ones fans, club and codes.

word count: 744

fat_mike

Juniors
Fat mike making his run on debut for Easts

The Agony and the Ecstasy.

When players, coaches and fans talk about the high and lows of the game this is what it’s all about. The agony and ecstasy of grand final day.

It’s grand final day 2000 and I have waited 16 years to see my team in a grand final. What makes this one special is I’ll be at the game to cheer on my Sydney Roosters. I take my seat at stadium Australia in the middle of the broncos traveling cheer squad in anticipation of a great game. Last time these two played it was 28-0 to the roosters so I was confident the boys could take out the premiership. The national anthem is sung by the 90 000 strong crowd as the chills goes up my arm as I know in 80 minutes, my football team could be the kings of this great game. On the day the broncos dominate and apart from Matt Sing and Luke Phillips, the roosters just don’t turn up.
Its incredibly tough sitting in the stands, its an empty feeling, one of pain, one of shock and one of extreme disappointment. Just to know how close your team has come to rugby league nirvana only to have it smashed away by the broncos from Brisbane. For some reason it feels like your team weren’t even in the grand final and have just claimed the wooden spoon. Nothing could be further from the truth as my team is runners up to a great Brisbane team. Along with the thousands of other roosters’ fans we leave the stadium feeling flat and empty. But also looking forward to yet another season of rugby league. Maybe this time the roosters can go that one step further and be number 1.

I didn’t have to wait long to see my team in another grand final as two years later the boys are back at stadium Australia searching for the rugby league holy grail, aiming to hold the NRL premiership trophy for all to see. The match takes place at night, which only adds to the spectacle that is rugby league grand final day. This year it’ll be the warriors from New Zealand taking on my beloved roosters. As kick off time draws closer the T.V is the focus of all in the room. The bbq’s are wrapped up and the esky, which has been the main focus most of the afternoon, now plays second fiddle. Like 2000 I quietly confident only to the point where I know we have an even chance at winning this one. The warriors have been the surprise packets of the year, minor premiers and have an awesome side that can do anything on the field. I take my seat as we all sing the national anthem, beer in hand, as if we were at the stadium that night. Once again my buzz level intensifies as the ball is kicked off. It’s a grueling match and a piece of Stacy Jones magic gives the warriors the lead and I start to get nervous as I have felt the pain of losing a grand final only two years earlier and its not something that I want to experience again. Then the 65-minute mark hits just as Richard Villasanti hits Brad Fittler with a head butt type tackle. The turning point of the grand final has occurred and its full steam ahead for my roosters. Trying to describe the feeling that is watching your team rip apart the opposition on the way to grand final glory is one of absolute bliss. Its almost unbelievable but you love every second of it. As the full time siren blows I jump around as if I was on the field being apart of the team. Being the only roosters supporter in the room I’m the only one who is floating above everyone else. To experience what can only be described as rugby league nirvana is a feeling of absolute joy and bliss. To know your team is the top of the sport, number 1, the kings of rugby league gives you a massive sense of pride and joy. I go to bed an incredibly happy rugby league supporter.

Having it all happen in the space of 2 years was incredible. Watching my team reach the pinnacle of rugby league was incredible. I now know why I support and follow this great game of rugby league. The highs and lows of this game are definitely worth it all.

750 words inc title

ibeme

First Grade
Ibeme, making his first grade debut for the Rhinos.

Remove the Parasites, not the Host

The current behavioural problems dogging the game are not only a problem for the Canterbury club, but are also a problem for Rugby League, just as they are for society in general. Understandably, angry Rugby League fans are calling for the club’s expulsion, seeing it as the ultimate solution. This action however, may not bring the calm that we all crave. The backlash from such action could create more problems than it solves. The parasites could simply go in search of another host, in a twisted form of revenge. This could manifest itself in neighbouring clubs such as the Tigers and the Eels, with the net result being angrier parasites, at the cost of one of the NRL’s strongest clubs. The thugs are holding our club and our game to ransom, just as they hold society to ransom.

So what’s the answer?

It’s doubtful that there is a perfect answer. We need to stop these animals from coming to the game, but the more we stress that they’re unwelcome, the more attractive we become as targets for their mayhem. They need to be levered away carefully from our game like the leeches they are. Games need to be made a less appealing place for them, and to do that we need to identify what it is they are attracted to. The blood supply for these parasites needs to be cut off.

It’s no secret that they have little, if no interest at all in the what’s unfolding on the field. They’re not Rugby League fans. Their greatest enjoyment comes from the trouble, fear and chaos that they cause, and they’re masters at it. Currently, the atmosphere and environment at rugby league games provides them with ample opportunity to ply their ugly trade.

It’s loud and adrenaline charged. Blood pumping music is piped around the ground through PA systems whose volume is rivalled only by the car stereos around Brighton Le Sands. The game on the ground is fast paced, and aggressive. Whereas this adds to the positive atmosphere for true fans, it sends these idiots into a frenzy.

The stadium’s seating arrangements allows them to amass under the guise and cover of true fans. They’re camouflaged by a blue and white sea when running for cover, and unfortunately, everyone within range are potential victims of their actions.

As icing on the cake, this environment is provided in one of the best valued entertainment packages in town. Affordability is a double edged sword for the NRL. Whilst attempting to make games more attractive and more affordable to fans, they also make themselves available for exploitation by the parasites.

How do they change the environment?

The first thing to do is to turn the hill area, and other areas to which the parasites are drawn, into Family Only areas, in which children and the elderly - family units - are the only ones allowed admission. Family tickets for these areas should be made even cheaper, and more flexible, while general admission tickets are made more expensive. An added benefit to this would be the encouragement of those who would normally come without family, to persuade their family to come along also.

Grandstand seats should be limited to registered fans. New fans should have the opportunity to register on game days.

The aim of pre-allocating these areas is to limit the parasites’ access to the most unsuitable areas in the ground in which to cause trouble. It would also provide a focal point for security guards to concentrate on.

There should also be separate entry an exit points for those seated in the general admission areas and those seated in the designated areas.

The next step is to alter the game day atmosphere, as this would also alter it’s patronage. They say that music sooths the savage beast, but that depends on the kind of music employed. The traditional theme song needs to be re-instated, and played at the ground. The old theme song appeals to our sense of pride, whereas ‘Who Let’s the Dogs Out?’ tends to appeal more to testosterone. The entire tone on game day needs to be given a softer edge.

These measures would remove the parasites’ stealth. They’d be far more visible, and far more controllable. The game’s appeal as an exploitable target would be reduced, and they’d be forced to seek out another avenue in which to feed their destructive tendencies, leaving the game to the true fans once again.

749 words (including title)

Misanthrope

Staff member
chriswalkerbush makes his first grade debut for Easts

Clayton’s Premiership? Bugger Clayton

You know, I find that I hear a lot about 'Clayton's Premiership'. This makes me wonder: who is Clayton, and why is the bastard stealing the premierships won by Newcastle in 1997 and Sydney in 2002? What's more, why has he decided not to touch the Brisbane Broncos' 1997 premiership trophy?

Intrigued by claims that Newcastle’s 1997 victory over the Manly Sea Eagles wasn’t considered a ‘real premiership’ by many fans (ironically, most of whom were fans of the Brisbane Broncos) I decided to go out and do a little research.

The 1996 ARL season finished with the following sides in the top eight:
Manly
Brisbane
North Sydney
Easts
Cronulla
Canberra
St George
Western Suburbs

Now, when the battle lines were drawn and the Super League sides jumped ship to ply their trade in the arena of big bucks and even bigger TV coverage- the top eight lost the Brisbane Broncos, Cronulla Sharks, and the Canberra Raiders. It doesn’t take a mathematic genius to see that the ARL managed to keep five of the top eight sides currently doing the rounds- including the minor and eventual premiers in Manly. The runners up, St George, also stayed loyal to the ARL.

So, when it came down to the crunch- the Newcastle Knights (who finished ninth in 1996, placing them ahead of Super League finalists Canterbury and Penrith) ended up facing more ‘quality’ sides (assuming one can define a side’s quality by its performance in the previous year). Where Newcastle had to contend with five sides that had fought out the 1996 finals- the Brisbane Broncos, winners of the Super League competition, only had to deal with two others.

Some argue that the fact that Gold Coast, a side who finished last in the 1996 premiership, made the finals is proof that the Newcastle Knights’ victory was somehow ‘less’ than that recorded by Brisbane. Of course, the key point being overlooked here is the number of teams allowed into the respective final series. The Super League competition let in only five sides, whilst the ARL allowed seven in. Of course, had Super League allowed in seven sides, then only three sides would have missed out on a berth. So, if you extend Super League’s finals to include a sixth and seventh side you include the Hunter Mariners and Auckland Warriors- one new side and one side who finished outside the eight in 1996. Both sides finished on negative for and against. In contrast, the ARL finals featured only one side with a negative for and against (Gold Coast).

If the ARL had taken a leaf from Super League’s book and allowed only five teams into their finals (eliminating Gold Coast and Illawarra) then the five competing sides would have been Newcastle, Manly, North Sydney, Easts, and Parramatta. That’s three of 1996’s finalists (including the reigning premiers), the Knights, and a vastly improved Parramatta side that recorded eleven straight victories at one point during the season.

Others argue that Gold Coast, South Sydney, and South Queensland- the three lowest placed sides in 1996, dragged the quality of opposition in the ARL competition down. Gold Coast managed to finish higher than 1996 finalists St George and Western Suburbs; conversely Auckland and North Queensland continued to struggle in Super League. Whilst South Sydney and South Queensland remained easy beats in the ARL- one must take into account the inclusion of two new and untested sides in the form of Adelaide and Hunter.

Throughout the history of the ARL and NRL there have been premierships won that any jealous fan could argue weren’t entirely ‘valid’. Was North Sydney’s 1922 win a ‘Clayton’s premiership’ because the season was only eight rounds in length due to a Kangaroo tour? Can Melbourne’s emphatic win in the 1999 grand final be described as ‘less’ because a penalty try was needed to decide the outcome? No.

All of this nit picking made me think: no one premiership is worth more or less than any other. A team operates on the field it is given, and damn anyone who says that a side’s premiership isn’t valid because one or eight sides went AWOL. Sydney’s 2002 win is just as valid as Penrith’s 2003 victory, and Newcastle’s 1997 win is no less important, no less tenacious, and no less memorable than any other in Australian rugby league’s ninety six year history.

Clayton’s premiership? Clayton can go out and win his own grand final. The 1997 premiership is Newcastle’s.

WORD COUNT: 749 including title

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Hybrid_Tiger posting for the Rhino's.

Jumpin' Benji needs his hands on the ball

[Word Count: 745 including title]

---------------------------------------------------------

Wests Tigers’ teenage prodigy Benji Marshall has had a relatively quiet start to season 2004.

After bursting onto the scene last year with some breathtaking performances, including his spectacular debut against the Newcastle Knights, Marshall has hardly been seen so far this year.

Armed with his trademark step and showing glimpses of organisational skills that the one and only Andrew Johns would be proud of, Marshall impressed so many onlookers last season because of his ability to be a match winner – a player who could get his hands on the ball and create something out of nothing in the blink of an eye.

After his rise to the struggling Tigers whilst still completing his HSC back in Queensland, many dismissed Marshall as simply a flashy player with a good step. But after just a handful of first grade games, it was realised that this kid had more than just a step – he had a kicking and passing game which, if developed correctly, could destroy even the best of teams in the competition.

Taking all these factors into account, Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens’ decision to play the lively Marshall as a centre this season is certainly questionable.

This year, Marshall has hardly made an impact and spends most of the time on the side of the field waiting for Tigers halves to feed him some ball. This week’s game against North Queensland was the first time all season that the Tigers outside men received some great service – but Marshall was off the field with a shoulder injury which could keep him out for about 6 weeks.

To be fair to the Tigers, they have made a lot of signings and are still developing combinations and the like. But why leave Marshall to stand in the centres for a year when now would be a perfect time to give him a feel for the five-eighth position – whilst at the same time develop what could be a breathtaking halves combination with Scott Prince?

The most obvious answer to this dilemma is that Marshall is still only 18 and the burden of playing in a playmaker position for a team which is only starting to get combinations together would be too much for the teenager.

However Marshall has showed a considerable amount of maturity since making his debut. More often than not, the young Kiwi is targeted by opposition defences in an attempt to put him off his game. So far it hasn’t worked. Just ask North Queensland Cowboys winger David Myles, who attempted to lure young Benji into a running battle in a game last season before being put flat on his backside by the teenager.

Another argument against this move could be Marshall’s defence, which was probably the weakest part of his game last year. The five-eighth position in our modern game requires a lot of tackling to be completed and a poor defender in this position could cost the Tigers – or any other team - very dearly indeed.

But this year he has hardly put a foot wrong in defence, often putting down bigger men, whilst generally tackling very well for a player of his size and agility. It is obvious that Tigers coaching staff have worked long and hard over the off-season on his defence and it has definitely paid dividends.

Of course, no one is criticising Sheens’ decision – but it certainly is a strange one given the current circumstances.

Sheens actually has experience in matters such as this one. It was the former North Queensland coach who played a young Laurie Daley in the centres when he burst onto the scene as a youngster for the Canberra Raiders.

It was clear to the football world that the teenage Daley was born to be a playmaker, but Sheens kept in the centres for his first full season, before moving him to five-eighth the following year.

But the big difference was that Canberra had an established team when Daley arrived on the scene, whilst this year’s Wests Tigers side are still developing as a unit.

Who knows if Marshall will soon be thrust into five-eighth, or whether he will return from injury to go straight back in the centres.

But when astute judges of the game such as Bob Fulton call for Marshall to be given the five-eighth role, you start to question just why jumping Benji is sitting out in the centres waiting for the ball.

m0j0

Bench
m0j0 making his first grade debut for Easts

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Passion, Fire and Blood

Not so long ago, it was quite reasonable to expect a high tackle to end in a huddle of players (and occasionally the odd spectator) wildly, and often blindly, throwing a flurry of punches (or slaps if we are including Paul Vautin) at each other. The crowd would go wild as the combatants would go about belting the testosterone out of each other. The ref would have no control and all that could be done was to let the fire burn itself out.

Once things settled down they’d be straight back into the game, no retributions. No-one knew about HIV and a blood bin was a ridiculous notion - something that would only happen in a “girly” sport. The football field resembled something out of Braveheart. Jerseys were splattered with blood as it flowed freely from head wounds that would undoubtedly require a stitch or two at the end of play.

The situation was irrelevant and the reason for the violence was often indeterminable. The passion that existed in players was enough reason to risk bodily harm, facial injury, and even humiliation (speaking of Fatty Vautin) by tossing aside the football skills and trying their hand at boxing.

State of Origin was a similar story, only magnified ten fold. If there wasn’t a major fight within the first twenty minutes, it was a quiet game. Who can forget those images of a pack of blue and a pack of maroon going hammer and tong at each other? As the slogan went: Mate Against Mate! Wouldn’t you want to be at some of the club training sessions the week after Origin?

The inaugural match of the annual interstate event we all love was indicative of things to come. Early in the first half, big Artie Beetson, the Maroons captain, sparked a brawl that involved virtually every man on the field when he came to the aide of a teammate. The game was a powder keg of emotion with a number of incidents breaking out. I don’t even remember who won this game, but I do recall this brawl like it was in the last series. You’ll probably see it again when it comes time to promote Origin again.

Ironically, these are the images that the governing body has wanted out of the game. With the increase in television coverage and the emphasis being placed on rugby league as a family sporting event, the league has justifiably made many adjustments to the rules of the game. The removal of many scrums, and in particular the contestable scrum, has alleviated the majority of fracas. Penalties imposed on players are far more severe than ever. Twenty years ago, the phrase “bringing the game into disrepute” would have had little or no meaning to most players.

One on one fights are rarely seen anymore, and a brawl would probably be a high profile news item. Anyone involved in such activity is a good chance of sitting on the sidelines for a couple of weeks. The difference in players’ attitudes is very evident when you look at recent incidents. For instance, when Greg Bird put the knee in during a tackle on Shane Marteene on the weekend, there was no further trouble. It didn’t even look like any of Marteene’s fellow teammates had any interest in squaring the ledger.

Now take the same situation and replace the players with people such as Wally Lewis, Steve Roach, Les Boyd, and Mark Carroll. You’d have a tough time breaking them up.

Have all of these family-oriented regulations sucked the life out of our game? Is the passion still there? More and more we see elements of the game that resemble what has been typical of soccer. Back in the days when men were men and footballers quite often were boxers, if you took a swipe at someone, you could expect a barrage of punches back. Nowadays, jersey grabbing and slow waltzing are the order of the day. There’s not much more pathetic a sight than watching someone take a dive when getting nothing more than a touch up from the opposition.

OK, so violence is not the image we want for our children, and let’s face it, a family ticket brings in more money for the game than a single, but deep down don’t we all enjoy the site of two (or twelve) grown men going toe to toe on the football field?

Bring back the biff!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 743 (including title)

Gobbso

Juniors
Name: Gobbso (c)
Team: The Rhino's
Number: 3
Position: Centre

"Captaining the Rhino's for the first time, is an achievement and a highlight for me. It is something i will extremely proud of. Hopefully it won't be the last time. I'm proud to lead the boys out, especially in such a big game against the reigning Premiers in the Roosters. They have set the bench mark, and it will be a difficult task, but i have the faith and condifence that the boys will do their best against the champions. LET'S GO YOU RIHNO'S!"

Rules for Some, Rules for Others.

The recent drug scandal to hit the game of Rugby League has once again thrown the game into disrepute. The alleged player at the centre of the controversy, high profiled representative and Bulldogs forward Willie Mason, has said little about the issue, although denies the claims, but according to an insider who leaked the story to the media, it is said to be accurate.

The Bulldogs club had been seen to try to cover the scandal up, although insists it’s not the NRL’s business, as the tests were conducted in house by the club in the off-season, instead of the independent body of the game in the National Rugby League.

Still, does this make it correct? That all a player receives for testing positive to drugs in house or not, is basically a $25,000 fine? How is that punishment? How is a lesson being learned here? In 2001 a precedent was set, but this has been ignored and replaced by a slap on the wrist.

Compare the latest drug issue to 3 years ago when Kevin McGuinness tested positive to the recreational drug ecstasy. McGuinness had his career and life turned upside down, and faced an uncertain future. His name and reputation was completely ruined, tarnished and dragged through mud. People labelled him as a druggie, who was a disgrace to the game. He was heavily fined by his club at the time in Wests Tigers, and was ordered to face an independent Drug tribunal where his fate would be determined. Funnily enough, on that tribunal was none other then Dr. George Peponis, who’s now the current Bulldogs Chairman, and partly responsible for the cover up.

McGuinness received a 6-month suspension, which basically resulted in a 24-week stint on the sideline. It ruined him and placed a dark cloud on his immediate as well as long-term future. Although instead of feeling sorry for himself, and taking it out on the world. McGuinness decided to seek help, fight his way back, re-establishing himself, his career and his reputation in his proud homeland of Campbelltown and in the game.

He admitted he was not a constant user of drugs, but said certain individuals he thought were friends, showed their true colours, and led him astray. He turned to drugs due to a relationship breakdown with his long-term partner of seven years. Instead of talking to friends and family he tried to escape through drugs. Although it caused more damage than he expected.

McGuinness took himself to counselling, got involved in junior football coaching team’s in the local Magpies district. He also committed himself to a personal trainer’s course through TAFE, worked in a factory and as a labourer to experience what real work is like by the common individual, which made him respect how good Rugby League player’s do have it. It was like a journey of self-discovery for McGuinness, something positive had come out of something that threatened to end his career and destroy his life. It had strengthened who he was and showed his true character.

He had realised the error he had made. He soon found people who gave their unconditional support and stuck by him, and knew that drugs were not his go. He gave himself to police, asking to help and joined them on the beat where he could offer help advice and support for kids on the street with problems. Not only did they appreciate his presence and advice, he gained significant benefit from the experience where he felt that he was giving something back, hoping that like him people would learn from his horrid experience.

Who would have thought that such an unsavoury incident could produce such light at the end of the tunnel? For one, Kevin McGuinness would have been the last person you would have had to convince. Although he turned his life around as well as his career, and became a better person from the incident that almost tore him apart. He learnt from his mistake, and is continuing to help others, and sharing his experience with people in all facets of life.

McGuinness is one of the games greatest ambassador’s whose story is tragic but shows that through hard work, determination, at his true character portrays a true hero of the game and in life. Although McGuinness suffered greatly through his punishment, he came out on top. Sadly Mason will not. It seems that the NRL has Rules for some and Rules for others.

(749 words, including heading)

gobbsorhino.jpg

miccle

Bench
Miccle pulls his socks up and runs out for the mighty Rhinos.

No Wayne, No Gordie... No Passion?

I recently discovered a thread on a league forum, where someone was asking Queenslanders for their opinions, a rare and novel thing in itself. He wondered if the retirement of Gorden Tallis and Wayne Bennett from Origin would dull the famous passion and pride we feel when the Maroons take the field 3 times a year.

Surprisingly, this seemingly straightforward question got me rather perplexed. In short, the answer was (of course) no, but there will obviously be some groups of people heavily affected by the loss of these two great men.

Gorden Tallis has been one of the truly great Origin players since the competition began in the late 1980's. Although many people will say he hasn't delivered the on-field skills of Langer, Lewis and Lockyer, what Gorden brings to the Origin cannot be taught. He runs on emotion, so the pride and passion he feels for Queensland is directly represented in his actions and mindset when he pulls the jumper on.

His trademark big hits, rampaging runs and fiery temper have fuelled the maroons for years. He isn't a player that can direct the team around and win games, but he certainly provides inspiration for the other 16 blokes. When the team needs some leadership, he'll put on three big hits in a row, or take the ball up 3 times in a set. Who will ever forget his "rag doll" tackle on Brett Hodgson in 2002?

It won't feel the same without him leading the maroons out of the tunnel, that's for sure.

Then there's Wayne Bennett. Whether you love or hate this man, no one can or will deny his amazing coaching skills. For the media, he is a perplexing character. He comes off as a gruff, cynical and uncooperative man, but is respected and loved like a family member to anyone who works with him on a daily basis.

In short, Wayne is a genuine, honest and intelligent person, although often seen as grumpy or rude in the media. When he was once asked about his uncooperative nature, he simply stated that is wasn't his job to do that. He was a coach, pure and simple, and he communicated to them through the skills and performances of his team.

There is no doubt in my mind that these two great men will be sorely missed when origin time rolls around in 2004, not only by Queenslanders, but the New-South-Welshmen too! No one can honestly tell me these two men are the guys everyone either loves, or loves-to-hate.

It is my opinion that many fans, particularly "fair-weather" or "social" league fans, who follow the game for the 3 clashes per year, will be affected by the loss. Gordie has symbolized Queensland Origin spirit for years, from the famous "Raging Bull" nametag to the notorious look of fire in his eyes when he leads the boys out.

Similarly, many of these fair-weather fans, particularly from Brisbane, only really know about Wayne Bennett when it comes to coaching. He has had an extremely distinguished career which has been well covered in all media north of the Tweed. Michael Hagan, who is also an extremely talented coach, has not received this amount of coverage and therefore I'm sure many people would not be as aware of his skills and achievements.

But will this damage go deeper? Can it affect the overall passion of State of Origin?

No way! State of Origin has never been about the men in the jersey, and never will be. It's about the jersey itself, and what that jersey represents. I'm not just talking about the Maroons here either, but our nemesis' south of the border too. Andrew Johns, one of the best players to ever take the field, is now almost definitely out for season 2004. However, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that NSW fans will not feel any less passion and pride around origin time.

This is exactly the same for Queenslanders. While we might miss the inclusion of great men like Gordie and Wayne in the squad, our enthusiasm will not die that easily. There was passion for origin before Gordie, and there will be passion after his exit.

State of Origin is just as much about mateship, rivalry, intensity, passion and folklore as it is about rugby league. Gordie and Wayne - you will be missed, but it will take more than that to dull the Queensland spirit.

746 words including title.

Jeffles

Bench
Jeffles with a late charge on debut for the Rhinos

----------------------

Home Sick

8am Sunday, and most folk are in bed. Not me. I cannot sleep another minute. Today is Grand Final day, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna sleep through such an exciting day.

I wake up my brother Anthony. He is tired, and rightly so. Up until all hours on the nightclub scene, my face is one he did not want to wake up to when he went out last night. Too bad for him.

"It's too early," he mumbles. "Make me breakfast." Pouring a bowl of cereal is a small price to pay for the huge favour he is doing me today. "Hurry up or we'll be late," I say. A bundle of nerves puts pressure on my vocal cords as I utter that command.

We hop in the ute soon after. My Grandad is a real chum for letting us borrow it. He doesn't realise how important today is. He's a simple farmer, and no one in Portugal really likes Rugby League. They haven't really heard of it.

That's right. The biggest day of the year, and I'm on the other side of the planet. I may as well be on a different planet. Rugby is colloquially known as the melon game, a reference to that odd shaped ball.

Why am I here? I couldn't help it. 8 months ago, my sister offered me the trip and after some logical thinking ("as if my Panthers would make it this year"), I accepted her offer. I should've known. The only other time I had been overseas was 1991. At least then I was home for that magic September day.

I've had plenty of distractions though. I've seen and experienced the wonders of London and Paris. I've toured through the charming cities of Spain and Southern France. I've been reunited with my grandparents for the first time in 12 years.

Sydney is a long way from my mind. The Panthers aren't. I had the Warriors score sent to me via SMS while I was hurtling through the French countryside on a train. Overtime I get to a PC it's straight to the usual sites to see the latest news. But now, less than half an hour from kick off, I am in a ute outside a farmer's house in a remote Portuguese village.

We get to Albufeira, the main town. It seems like only half the battle. Parking is the other half. Sunday morning and the streets are filled with the cars of churchgoers. Jesus Christ! Anthony is such a Good Samaritan that he drops me off at the top of the street. I just text him when I find a willing English pub.

The first one I try is Merlin's. The courtyard is packed with sunburnt Poms. I try my luck inside. I find a deserted bar with a little blonde behind it and a TV with Sky.

"Good Morning," I begin.

"How are you?" She replies in her Affrikaan accent. What a turnoff! I'm glad Charlize Theron doesn't talk like that any more.

"Could you put it on the Rugby League please?"

"Sure." She changes the channel. Oh my God! It was that easy! I don't believe it! The game has just kicked off.

I couldn't tell you much of the game that day. It's almost as though the journey was a bigger reward. I remember the tries. I remember that tackle. I remember the build up of empty OJ cups as the nerves triggered my thirst. I remember urging my team from miles away to hang on. "COME ON PANTHERS!" My team is playing and nothing else matters.

Full-time. Victory. A wave of relief comes over me. It's all over. Premiers! Premiers!

I look at them all celebrating. If I was in Sydney, I'd be there. Or I'd be at the club. Man I wish I was there. Then it hits me. I don't wanna be on holiday. I bawl my eyes out. I've not cried like that since I was a boy. I didn't even cry like that when my Grandmother died. Yet when my Rugby League team wins a Grand Final, I cannot contain myself. My brother and the barmaid are silent. They realise the unbelievable connection that exists between my team and I. It is a bond that has stretched across continents and that has not weakened across the distance or among the distraction of this holiday. And there's a simple reason why it hasn't.

I love Rugby League.

----------------------------

747 words including the title.

...Morticia...

Juniors
for easts

Hungry like the Wolf.

“Dark in the city, night is a wire.”

One in twenty rapes throughout the world are gang rapes. Gang rapes…two words that conjure up images of stereotypical patched members of some deviant subculture known for violence, aggression and institutionalised pack mentality. Not your average man, nor the picture that comes to hand of your archetypal sportsman. Interestingly, the only difference that sets a rapist apart from the ‘average’ man in the personality testing as part of a psychological profile is a slightly higher score on aggression. And what is one of the fundamental principles of rugby league and contact sport in general? Aggression. Additionally, when a team is out and about, aren’t they patched? Club logos on the chest, sponsorship on the sleeves or even, when a few of them get together for a night out, their clothing represents a certain manufacturer. Be it t-shirts, trainers or jackets emblazoned with Adidas, Aasics or Nike emblems, testaments of the perks of the job. Furthermore, isn’t it plausible, that these young men, taken from their homes at a young age and introduced to a ‘brotherhood’ of sorts are, without even being aware of it, part of an institutionalised pack mentality? Some teams call it a ‘family’.

“Woman you want me, give me a sign.”

Whilst humility is still evident in many players, some these days suffer from hubristic tendencies. Imperious and insolent, various players are prone to some, almost feudal, aristocratic sense of entitlement. A case of too much self-merit and not enough self control perchance? Psychologist Jeff Bond states, “Many sportsmen are egocentric and competitive to the point of having borderline personality disorders(1).” It’s conceivable that the old adage, mens Sana in corpore sano (a sound mind in a healthy body) is somewhat deficient in our league heroes. Where does this self-adulation and flagrant disregard for societal boundaries stem? Some would argue the tendencies were always apparent, genetic makeup compounded by the privilege of the lifestyle. Others place blame on the culture within the sporting body. When you look at leagues historical attitude towards women, is it any wonder that some player’s behaviour is now proving costly to the image of rugby league? The “get your end in and get your friend in” philosophy has been somewhat of an orgulous tradition in league circles and, while there are still women drawn to the romantic idealism of bedding a league star, there will always be recalcitrant players willing to take advantage of the philosophies of a previous era.

“I’m on the hunt, I’m after you.”

Realistically, group sex is an element of society, more common than some would like to believe, and ruminating about people’s sexual practices, whether they be the bean counters of this world or high profile league players, is irrelevant. What is of most concern is how players come to, allegedly, cross the legal line. The ‘family’ concept of some teams may hold the key. Recent research has shown that tight-knit societies, such as ‘gangs’ bond by sharing sexual experiences(2). The bonds that are formed are so powerful and seductive that, even when societal laws are transcended, it’s more important to be part of the group than be the person that does what’s right(3). Deconstructing these attitudes may be the foundation for change in rugby league and, while it seems almost ironic seeing posters with league stars on them promoting the fact that violence against women is unacceptable, it’s only through structural and attitude changes from within that fundamental changes will take place. In the 1600’s, Sir Francis Bacon stated, “Opportunity makes the thief.” Money, power, adulation and a heightened sense of self-worth opens doors that otherwise would’ve remained shut to many of these league players. It’s a well-known fact that the longer a player is exposed to the professional sporting environment, the further they will deviate from having the ability to understand and cope with demands of the real world(4). It’s time for the ‘real world’ to make a stand and let these players know that these ‘opportunities’ will no longer be tolerated.

A journalist recently said, “There are two seasons in male team sport. The official one…[and] the scandal season.” Usually once the footy starts, the scandal season becomes a distant memory. This year, however, there’s a persistent bitter taste left in the mouth.

721 words

refs
(1) Daniel Williams, March 8, 2004, A Walk on the Blindside, Time Asia, No. 9
(2) Michael Flood, 2003, Deconstructing the Culture of Sexual Assault.
(3) Jill Neimark, Out of Bounds: The Truth about Male Athletes and Rape.
(4) No Author, Deviance in Sports.

Great game everyone. Special thanx to our debutentes, 4 in all with Morticia as the skipper. A great effort. Thanx also to the Rhino's, it's always good to compete in a 5 x 5.

Gobbso

Juniors
Likewise Penelope. Well done to your mob, good game and Great articles. Well done to the Rhino's. We've certainly kept up the intensity that was shown against the Panthers last round. Great effort. Should be a tough task to mark.

salivor

First Grade
EASTS SCORES

Raider_69 – The Buck Stops Here
740 words

A piece on player’s choices between money and club loyalty and the increasing tendency for players to choose money.
A couple of grammar errors but they didn’t really hurt your score.
Score 8.0

Fat mike – The agony and the Ecstasy
745 words

A passionate piece of two quite different grand finals, the first of which I quite enjoyed being a Broncos fan.
Score 7.9

Chriswalkerbush – Clayton’s Premiership? Bugger Clayton
745 words

A piece on the infamous tag “clayton’s premiership”.
The Broncos fan in me is screaming out to say something so I’ll just quickly say that it’s mainly the other way around with most people discrediting our 1997 Super League premiership. For the record I think both Newcastle and Brisbane deserve their premiers title from 1997. Also just to be clear, I put personal opinion aside when marking your essay.
Score 7.9

MOjO – Passion, Fire and Blood
739 words

A piece that would make Reg Reggan proud on the absence of a good old brawl in our game from time to time.
Score 7.9

…Morticia… – Hungry like the Wolf
717 words

A well researched and well written piece on some of the causes and thoughts behind the recent controversy hitting league.
Score 8.7

Easts Total: 40.4

RHINOS SCORES

Ibeme – Remove the Parasites, not the Host
743 words

A Canterbury fan’s perspective on the crowd troubles that have affected the club in recent years and some possible solutions.
Score 8.1

Hybrid_Tiger – Jumpin' Benji needs his hands on the ball
737 words

A piece about the possibility of moving the games young star Benji Marshall from centre to five-eighth.
Score 7.9

Gobbso – Rules for Some, Rules for Others.
743 words

A piece on the difference in handling between the McGuiness and Mason drug scandals.
Score 8.3

Miccle – No Wayne, No Gordie... No Passion?
740 words

A piece on an interesting question, for QLD fans at least about origin football without two of its biggest stars.
Score 8.0

Jeffles – Home Sick
745 words

A personal account of experiencing a special moment for the Panthers while on the other side of the world.
Score 8.3

Rhinos Total: 40.6

A very close game, congratulations to the Rhinos and well done to all involved.

Rhinos 40.6 defeated Easts 40.4

MOM - …Morticia… for Easts

ParraMatt

Bench
Captains Comments!

What a Game, Roosters played very well, Thanks very much to PP, Morticia and all the Roosters, Guess you cant win every game.
To us Rhinos, Well we may have had a confusing offseason but 2 from 2 now and I am so happy with the team, We are cementing a Position in the Tournament to be reckoned with. Im shuffling the team around each week trying to give everyone a run and I think it is helping. Everyone is coming out with there best articles at the right time. Extra Cheerios to Jeffles, Ibeme and Gobbso on there marks. But overall the whole team played as one and that's what got us the Chicken Feed in the end.
We will have a quick break and back on the road against the Sharks.

GO RHINOS!