What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1, 2017, full strength

Meth

Staff member
What might it look like, now that Foran is here...

1- RTS
2- Fusitua
3- Ayshford
4- Kata
5- Vatuvei
6- Foran
7- Johnson
8- Matulino
9- Luke
10- Vete
11- Thompson
12- Hoffman
13- Mannering

Res- Lisone, Lillyman, Sipley, HIngano

I like that.

Alan Johnson

Juniors
Good team. I just hope the boys rebound from the inevitable round 1 loss and back up with a convincing win in round 2.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
1. RTS
2. Fusitua
3. Ayshford
4. Kata
5. Manu
6. Foran
7. Johnson
8. Vete
9. Luke
10. Matulino
11. Thompson
12. Hoffman
13. Mannering

14. Lolohea
15. Lillyman
16. Sipley
17. Up for grabs, whichever prop performs in trials (Gavet, Lisone, Sao)

JJ

Immortal
I think Kearney will want more punch through the middle - at least I hope that... so for me Thompson has a bench role at best - Lisone needs to cowboy up, he's borderline imo - but we need to start with more minutes and output from the 'big' men - Matulino, Lillyman, Vete, Lisone, Afoa and Sipley

1- RTS
2- Fusitua
3- Ayshford
4- Kata
5- Vatuvei
6- Foran
7- Johnson
8- Matulino
9- Luke
10- Lillyman
11- Mannering
12- Hoffman
13- Vete

Res- Lisone/Thompson, Afoa, Sipley, Lolohea

I don't want Hingano as a bench utility, he's an out and out half - Lolohea is neither here nor there so IMO is better in that role.

TheDMC

Bench
Good team Meth, but I agree with JJ, if Hingano can only cover the halves, then Lolohea on the bench please. In either scenario, who covers Luke if he blows a gasket mid game? Foran?
Foran would be a great hooker imo (as well as great half).

JJ

Immortal
Think Foran stays in the halves no matter what, Lolo can work on his dummy half play, or Roache on the bench, to cover the halves if there's an injury

I really think they have to move away from the 3 80 min backrowers and put more minutes in the go forward,harsh on Thompson, but at the end of the day it starts with winning the middle, and you don't do that with wings and an edge backrower that defends like his life depends on it

Meth

Staff member
If you are looking for a true utility, it's probably Roache. Kind of a jack of all trades, master of none...

JJ

Immortal
I'd be tempted to tell Luke he's playing 80... have a bench of Sipley, Afoa, Thompson and another middle forward (Lisone?)

Meth

Staff member
I'd be tempted to tell Luke he's playing 80... have a bench of Sipley, Afoa, Thompson and another middle forward (Lisone?)

Yes, my preference as well.

If Luke is up to playing 80, then we can have Sipley on the bench as in impact forward. Otherwise, we need a Tevaga or a Roache.

Big Marn

Juniors
I think Kearney will want more punch through the middle - at least I hope that... so for me Thompson has a bench role at best - Lisone needs to cowboy up, he's borderline imo - but we need to start with more minutes and output from the 'big' men - Matulino, Lillyman, Vete, Lisone, Afoa and Sipley

1- RTS
2- Fusitua
3- Ayshford
4- Kata
5- Vatuvei
6- Foran
7- Johnson
8- Vete
9- Luke
10- Lillyman or TBA (signing)
11- Mannering
12- Hoffman
13- Matulino

Res- Lisone, Thompson, Afoa, Sipley

I don't want Hingano as a bench utility, he's an out and out half - Lolohea is neither here nor there so IMO is better in that role.

Did a slight tweak to your side. I see Matulino as more equipped to the middle forward role that Taumalolo and Merrin do, than Vete. Ben started his career in the backrow and I think Vete still has a lot to learn as prop and needs to concentrate on doing that job better.

Reactions: JJ

ozbash

Referee
I like your team Meth, but the weak link sits at #5..

Why have a team of attacking supermen and yet, have a wing who will undo all their good work with shocking defence ?

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
What might it look like, now that Foran is here...

1- RTS
2- Fusitua
3- Ayshford
4- Kata
5- Vatuvei
6- Foran
7- Johnson
8- Matulino
9- Luke
10- Vete
11- Thompson
12- Hoffman
13- Mannering

Res- Lisone, Lillyman, Sipley, HIngano

I like that.
The only change I'd make is Hingano on for Hlngano. Otherwise a good team.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
1. RTS 2. Fus 3. Ayshford 4. Kata 5. Vatuvei 6. Foran 7. Johnson 8. Vete 9. Luke 10. Matulino 11. Hoffman 12. Thompson 13. Mannering 14. Roache/Lolohea 15. Lillyman 16. Sipley 17. Afoa

I'm a massive fan of Hingano but he plays if/when injuries in the halves. He isn't a hooker. I'm really unsure about Lolohea v Roache at 14. Tui may not even be here if word is correct (Storm making a play) and his inability to play hooker doesn't help.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
And for f**k's sake use Ben in the starting side,empower him and let him be the force he's capable of being, and has been in the past. Lisone can make his way back via ISP, and Sipley should be used in trials to show he's a fourth, impact prop that runs hard and offers more than we had this year.