What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 v Knights

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Also, for sure, last season wasn't good for Manu. We get that. But who are we backing to take his jumper? Maumalo? Allwood? Pauga?

For gods sake not Allwood. I'd rather put Gubb on the wing.

None of the players you've mentioned will ever be good enough to steal his spot, the only way they get it is through injury or retirement

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Manus a confidence player. Success helps to breed confidence and we seen that so many times with Manu in that, when were kicking ass, its usually Manu on the news scoring in the corner and kissing his finger and pointing up to God.

He should look at hitting small targets. S.MA.R.T approach, it works! If Manu sets and really endeavours to achieve his small game by game goals for training and games (e.g. 100 high bomb catches at training, quicker times in agility and acceleration) I think this will help to iron out those errors if hes not already doing that now.

Plenty of encouragement and praise not for scoring tries, but for doing things hes not normally good at.

If he drops confidence through a setback, dont allow him to become consumed by it like he did in that game. Thats an example of quicksand. Those situations need a past/current/future mindset, a pre-phase mental imagery if yous get me, but thats another long story. Manu can catch, we seen that more than drops. Its just a mental problem.

Basically we need him to start the season. We need to play well and play him a lot.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Manu will be fine, if he's fit

Newcastle remain historically awful, anything other than a very dominant win won't be acceptable IMO

MKEB...

Staff member
Manu will be fine, if he's fit

Newcastle remain historically awful, anything other than a very dominant win won't be acceptable IMO
Why a dominant win? I would settle for a win fullstop. If only to get the season off to a positive start.

MKEB...

Staff member

None of the players you've mentioned will ever be good enough to steal his spot, the only way they get it is through injury or retirement

IMHO I thought Allwood looked more sound on the wing than he ever did in the centres for us.

Meth

Staff member

Exactly my point

Iafeta

Referee
Assuming Bodene and Manu are fine to go...

1 RTS c
2 Tui
3 Fusitua
4 Kata
5 Manu
6 Ata
7 SJ
8 Vete
9 Luke
10 Lillyman
11 Thompson
12 Hoff
13 Mannering

Afoa
Lisone
Gubb
Tevaga

I've probably missed someone obvious lol

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Assuming Bodene and Manu are fine to go...

1 RTS c
2 Tui
3 Fusitua
4 Kata
5 Manu
6 Ata
7 SJ
8 Vete
9 Luke
10 Lillyman
11 Thompson
12 Hoff
13 Mannering

Afoa
Lisone
Gubb
Tevaga

I've probably missed someone obvious lol

Gubb over Sipley?

vvvrulz

Coach
Gubbster got a start in the trial so he's not going anywhere.

Hopefully he's taken his game beyond a crowd myth.

Scott

Bench
I'm unsure on the condition of Bodene, but imo Bunty Afoa sharts in that right edge backrow position in Rd1. There is no way he can be overlooked.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
You might have struggled to beat the titans if Konrad, jarryd, paasi, and proctor played.

That doesn't exactly worry me because at full strength you guys are a good side and we were still missing Vatuvei, Thompson, Matulino and Foran so were down about the same number from our absolute best side.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
knights just put 44 on the raiders. Haha bring on round 1

Not sure what to make of that. Its bad news for the Raiders, losing a trial isn't a worry but you want to fire at least some shots in it, getting steamrolled like that is a warning sign. But they were understrength and I'm assuming the Knights put a full strength side on the park to gain some badly needed confidence. We got flogged by the Dragons in a trial last year, it was a warning sign for us, but it didn't exactly herald great things for the Dragons.