What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 - Storm vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 6th May 7:45pm @Suncorp Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
It's Monday morning so time to flick over and start looking towards the next game. And boy, do we have yet another big game, yet another blockbuster coming this week. Not only is it magic Round, one of the best Rounds of the year, but we play our nemesis, the Melbourne Storm. it's always a big one when we play them for reasons, we all know but this one is made even bigger because of the position of both teams on the ladder. It's a top four clash, third vs fourth. Winner skips two points clear of the other and really cements themselves inside the top four. So, the stakes are as high as they get for this stage of the Season.

We all know our record against the Storm is absolutely shocking. Not 100% sure what the overall record is now but we've only bet them six or seven times in over 25 years now. That is ridiculous. At what point does it become psychological? We need to go out there this week and prove that that stat ain't in our heads and we need to get one back on them. Thankfully, despite this being our 'away' game against the Storm, it's not in Melbourne where we have never won so I guess that's a small win.

This game is certainly not going to be easy. The Storm, despite losing a lot of quality players at the end of last year, just continue to amaze me. Just when you think they're going to drop off, they go to another level. And that is the case this year once again. Once again, they're a top four contender, and a real threat to the competition. They're playing some great Footy at the moment and are in much better form than the last time we met so we'll have our hands full to contain them. Plenty of strike right across the park lead by their halves Munster and Hughes. Probably the most dangerous halves pairing in the comp I reckon. They do so much for that side so containing them has to be a big focus. They've got some real strike out wide too. Any backline containing Olam, Smith, Warbrick and Meany is going to be tough to stop. Big night for our edge defence. It's also a big night for the middle forwards. You look at their pack on paper and it certainly doesn't look as strong as Melbourne forward packs in years gone by but for whatever reason, they just seem to always get the job done, always. Big NAS is back for them, he didn't play last time out, and then there's guys like King and Katoa who are in good form. Tough to contain. I think the key to this one will be execution in attack. If you're going off the last game, where we actually won the middle, but our attack was poor, I think we're pretty even in the forward pack, especially with NAS back. So how we attack this time and how we break down the Storm is going to be crucial.

Thankfully, we're in much better form than the last time we played them too. Much, much better. Our attack is now on fire, we've got some troops back and that defence is currently holding firm. We've got to keep this up and keep evolving in this game or the Storm will get us. We know from many years of pain against them, that you simply cannot beat yourselves in this one. You cannot gift them opportunities, too good of a side and they'll make you pay. So I want to see us complete highly, an area of our game that has been a bit up and down this year. Secondly, they're not going to give you too many opportunities themselves so the opportunities you do get down there, you've got to strike. That's something we struggled with last time we met in Round 5 so I hope the boys have learnt from that. They're a good defensive side so the attack needs to be on song. This game is also a big attitude thing. Our attitude stunk last time we played them and I don't want to see that happen again. It's a big game with a lot at stake so get yourselves up for it!! I feel like I say this every week, but if we get our own game right and don't beat ourselves, then I'm confident in this one.

Magic Round!! It's gonna be cool. Hopefully we can put on a bit of magic for everyone. Also praying that the surface holds up, that is a concern not gonna lie. But anyways, bit game with big ramifications. We've been going really well the last few weeks with some huge statements along the way, winning this week would really make a big statement and stamp our position as potential Premiership fovourites. Not to mention it would put us in an outstanding position as the draw finally opens up. A big opportunity this week! Let's go do it lads!

Glory, Glory.

callmack1

Staff member
Triumphant return for Tatola as new forward challenge awaits: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/05/01/triumphant-return-for-tatola-as-new-forward-challenge-awaits/

I’m burning inside sick of losing to these pricks!

Sick of Munster and Grant outclassing our boys!
Me too bro. Sick of these blokes having the wood on us for years and years. Even when we've been strong in the last decade, they still seem to beat us more often that not.

Like you and probably like most Souths fans, I'm over it and it ends this week.

callmack1

Staff member
Hosty full of praise for AJ ahead of game 200: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/05/01/hosty-full-of-praise-for-aj-ahead-of-game-200/

Johnston set to bring up game 200 at Suncorp: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/05/01/johnston-set-to-bring-up-game-200-at-suncorp/

Junior looking to roll forward into Magic Round: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/05/01/junior-looking-to-roll-forward-into-magic-round/

Tatola targets Storm big men to keep Rabbitohs rolling: https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/r...-big-men-to-keep-rabbitohs-rolling-c-10509010

The boys all seem pretty fired up for this one. I love the fact they all mentioned Melbourne taking the two points off us last time and that we don't want them taking four of us in 2023. Love that they all acknowledge that. This is personal this week, time to get one back on them.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 10 against the Storm,

1. Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Milne
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Sele
9. Cook
10. Arrow
11. Chee Kam
12. Host
13. Murray (C)

14. Cartwright
15. Tatola
16. Suluka-Fifita
17. Burgess

Basically, we'll name the same side as last week. It worked well so why change it? The only thing that will change is DSF in for Davvy. Apparently, he's been injured and could be missing a few weeks.

Look forward to finding out tomorrow!

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs NRL squad for Magic Round Ten against Storm: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/05/02/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-magic-round-ten-against-storm/

Yewwwww team list Tuesday once again, one of my favourite days of the week!

A very strong line up named this week, pretty much as I expected. The only things I were not expecting was Junes starting, thought he'd come off the bench as that worked so well last week, and Knighty back in the side, thought they'd go with DSF. However, I'm certainly not complaining! Huge congrats to Knighty on his return if he does indeed end up playing. A huge moment for him and I can't wait to see him back out there. Huge game to come back in.

Bloody strong team! Hurry up and get here Saturday!

southsport

First Grade
Rabbitohs NRL squad for Magic Round Ten against Storm: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/05/02/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-magic-round-ten-against-storm/

A very strong line up named this week, pretty much as I expected. The only things I were not expecting was Junes starting, thought he'd come off the bench as that worked so well last week, and Knighty back in the side, thought they'd go with DSF. However, I'm certainly not complaining! Huge congrats to Knighty on his return if he does indeed end up playing. A huge moment for him and I can't wait to see him back out there. Huge game to come back in.

Knight in at the expense of DSF is a surprise, also Karapani at #18.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Has Milne become first choice ahead of Thompson now after his injury? I see Thompson picked in reserve grade this week.

southsport

First Grade

Has Milne become first choice ahead of Thompson now after his injury? I see Thompson picked in reserve grade this week.
Thompson was picked in reserve grade last week as well.

Milne had a very good game against the panthers a couple of weeks ago and has retained the right wing position as a result.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach

Milne had a very good game against the panthers a couple of weeks ago and has retained the right wing position as a result.
Ah I didn't realise he was back last week. That's no good for my fantasy team haha ... thanks for letting me know.

callmack1

Staff member

It is a bit surprising to be honest Southy. DSF has been very impressive, and Knight has only just had one game back in reserves after being out for almost a year.

I congratulate him on returning to first grade, but I am concerned he may be rushed back a bit early. Thought they would have given him a number of weeks in NSW Cup to get back up to speed.

It's not like he's coming back against a poor forward pack either, this is the Melbourne Storm.

southsport

First Grade
It is a bit surprising to be honest Southy. DSF has been very impressive, and Knight has only just had one game back in reserves after being out for almost a year.

I congratulate him on returning to first grade, but I am concerned he may be rushed back a bit early. Thought they would have given him a number of weeks in NSW Cup to get back up to speed.

It's not like he's coming back against a poor forward pack either, this is the Melbourne Storm.
Yeah it is a bit puzzling, maybe there's something DSF's attitude at training that JD thinks needs improving.