What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12 - Rabbitohs vs Eels: Friday 19th May 8pm @Allianz Stadium

The Predictor

Juniors
Disgusting performance. That is the best way I can describe it to be honest. Just absolutely disgusting. I am appalled. Our worst performance of the Season no doubt.

This is a game we should be winning, and it looked like the boys turned up thinking that as well. Looks like they'd been reading into their own media because God, we were just so average. Terrible attitude. Not willing to turn up and work for the win, they just expected it would happen.

I cannot believe the defensive effort. Reserve grade stuff. No effort, no desire, no steel. Where did our defence go? We haven't conceded 20 points all year and then suddenly, we get 36 points put on us? That is simply not acceptable. It's all attitude and our attitude sunk.

The good ball attack looked great, but the boys just didn't show enough effort to get up there enough. We got clapped in the forwards.

I don't have much to say tonight, I'm that angry and disappointed.

You can say 'one of those nights,' or, 'the loss we needed' all you like but I ain't gonna cop that. We are a top team and we put in a bottom four effort tonight. It's simply not acceptable. Disgusting.

To dish that up in such a special Round for us too, one we always get up for? It's just so diappointing. That one hurts. It should have been our night and a big celebration, one of the biggest in the history of the club. But no, the boys decided they wouldn't turn up and totally wasted it.

Fuming. Disgusting. Not acceptable.
Watch the game again dickhead, u were smashed by a superior team….. fk I’d hate to be in the trenches with u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
I’m actually worried we won’t win the big games until we learn to kick the ball deep and long something we haven’t done consistently this year. That’s the job of the 7. You can get away with it sometimes but not against quality opposition. And we don’t dribble it in and earn enough repeat sets. Again the job of the halfback.

Tass was putrid in defence. Our forwards got monstered too. I’d love to know our win loss ratio when Tom isn’t there. Similar game last year we got hammered in the middle with no Brisbane and no Tom there. We can get away with it against lower teams but people don’t realise how we struggle in the middle when Tom isn’t there he’s like our Haas and Carrigan what they are to Brisbane Tom is to us. He is instrumental Tom to us. I can’t blame Cody and Trell with zero field position.

Knight was putrid too absolute garbage but we will need him over origin but tonight was 4th grade stuff.

As for the reffing it wasn’t the reason we lost but funny how Arthur complained about the refs last week and they get a 7-1 count tonight. We got nothing Cody taken twice without the ball nothing. Atkins in the bunker was on a mission to make sure Penrith stay number 1 as well which we all knew would happen.

truthslayer

Juniors
Some players were caught in the Dreamtime.What a terrible performance, the forwards were terrible, cheekam is a liability and I am not a fan of Liam Knight who was back to his best dumbass plays.Where was Tatola.ARROW and GRAHAM standouts in a beaten side. Is ILIAS the worst half back in the competition,because I see other half backs like Moses doing what half backs do.The kicking game was woeful and why was Blake Taafe left on the sideline, the coach must take some blame because he failed to inject him in a game we were losing. A VERY poor result
now will the players and the coach work on what was obvious in the game. CHEEKAM AND KNIGHT NOT UP TO IT. And the halfback needs a roasting, but honestly what does he really have to offer?

Thumper

Juniors
Not the result we wanted. We still love the boys. They will be back again next week. Parra were more desperate. At the end of the day it’s only a football game. They come and go. Can’t win them all. In the grand scheme of life it doesn’t matter. Perspective is a big thing for me these days. This week was 12 months since my young daughter passed away. Nothing else seems as important anymore as family and friends.
Enjoy the weekend lads. Do something that makes you feel uncomfortable. Go for a run. Climb a mountain. Have an ice bath. Whatever it is. Feel alive. Be in the moment.
you will feel better for it.

callmack1

Staff member
Very grumpy this morning. Finding it very hard to fathom how we could possibly turn up and play like that in Indigenous Round.

Johnston Double and Walker Magic Unable to Bring Rabbitohs Victory in Indigenous Round: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...-bring-rabbitohs-victory-in-indigenous-round/

Press Conference - Round 12: https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telstra-premiership/2023/round-12/rabbitohs-round-12/

'Didn't handle the pressure' - Demetrious's 'brutally honest' call on flat Souths: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...2/news-story/5395ce95a4fdd9c10dabe9de85c606a0

JD pretty filthy on the boys, he absolutely nailed it in the Press Conference. You can see how gutted Cam was too so at least the boys are hurting. They'll know what an opportunity they let slip.

Moses stars amid Brom's stunning form in Eels boilover, Souths star stamps Blues claim - Big Hits: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/02a836d3806751d63fd0a2a93583d993

callmack1

Staff member
Watch the game again dickhead, u were smashed by a superior team….. fk I’d hate to be in the trenches with u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't come in here and abuse me for a passionate response and giving my opinion mate, no need for that.

You're right, we were smashed by a superior team... on the night. Credit to Parra, you guys were outstanding, absolutely outstanding.

But I think any NRL fan can see that we were poor and the attitude just wasn't where it needed to be. With Parra playing that well, they made us look like fools.

So yes, the Eels were the superior team but I emphasize the 'on the night' part. If we turned up and got our game right, even with the way the Eels were playing, I think we come out the superior team.

But we didn't, our boys were poor, that's the reality.

callmack1

Staff member
Not the result we wanted. We still love the boys. They will be back again next week. Parra were more desperate. At the end of the day it’s only a football game. They come and go. Can’t win them all. In the grand scheme of life it doesn’t matter. Perspective is a big thing for me these days. This week was 12 months since my young daughter passed away. Nothing else seems as important anymore as family and friends.
Enjoy the weekend lads. Do something that makes you feel uncomfortable. Go for a run. Climb a mountain. Have an ice bath. Whatever it is. Feel alive. Be in the moment.
Sorry for your loss mate, thoughts with you and the family.

The Predictor

Juniors
Sorry to hear that buddy, u are 💯 right, stay strong champion, god bless ur little girl ❤️🙏

Steenson123

Juniors
Correcti
Disgusting performance. That is the best way I can describe it to be honest. Just absolutely disgusting. I am appalled. Our worst performance of the Season no doubt.

This is a game we should be winning, and it looked like the boys turned up thinking that as well. Looks like they'd been reading into their own media because God, we were just so average. Terrible attitude. Not willing to turn up and work for the win, they just expected it would happen.

I cannot believe the defensive effort. Reserve grade stuff. No effort, no desire, no steel. Where did our defence go? We haven't conceded 20 points all year and then suddenly, we get 36 points put on us? That is simply not acceptable. It's all attitude and our attitude sunk.

The good ball attack looked great, but the boys just didn't show enough effort to get up there enough. We got clapped in the forwards.

I don't have much to say tonight, I'm that angry and disappointed.

You can say 'one of those nights,' or, 'the loss we needed' all you like but I ain't gonna cop that. We are a top team and we put in a bottom four effort tonight. It's simply not acceptable. Disgusting.

To dish that up in such a special Round for us too, one we always get up for? It's just so diappointing. That one hurts. It should have been our night and a big celebration, one of the biggest in the history of the club. But no, the boys decided they wouldn't turn up and totally wasted it.

Fuming. Disgusting. Not acceptable.
Correction. A Disgusting NON-PERFORMANCE. Did not really show up.

Steenson123

Juniors
Superior te
Superior team? Like the one flogged by Brisbane and Gold Coast and sitting at 5-7? Parramatta are going absolutely nowhere, don't get too excited. They ambushed a team distracted all week by emotional, cultural events and who had not lost for 7 weeks. And who were absent 4-5 forwards most starters and key bench guys.

Steenson123

Juniors
We have to focus on what lay in front.
Parramatta are not really a threat they hurt themselves more than most of their opponents. We have owned them for years thumped them regularly so they ambushed us ...ONCE!! Merry Xmas!!
Chee-Kam needs to drop a Grade he has done very well but his limit is probably reached. The pack needs to be determined early in the week and trained up no good making various changes to starters and bench at the last minute. Demetriou needs to maintain confidence in Ilias he has little options there. Remember, Ilias has won two playoff games by 13+ so he can do it. Canberra and the others ahead will be tough particularly as we have SOO hurdles to jump over. Before the BYE if we go 2-1 all will still be good. But we need to go at least 2-1 to rectify things.

Steenson123

Juniors
Rem
Don't come in here and abuse me for a passionate response and giving my opinion mate, no need for that.

You're right, we were smashed by a superior team... on the night. Credit to Parra, you guys were outstanding, absolutely outstanding.

But I think any NRL fan can see that we were poor and the attitude just wasn't where it needed to be. With Parra playing that well, they made us look like fools.

So yes, the Eels were the superior team but I emphasize the 'on the night' part. If we turned up and got our game right, even with the way the Eels were playing, I think we come out the superior team.

Remember we hit the lead early in the 2nd half 16-12. Then we had TWO unforced erors from kicks. Two, and that sunk a squad who really were a shadow of recent games. Giving up 36 was very poor but it may a good thing to get caned mid-season rather than at season's end. It should also get Demetriou and the squad to FOCUS harder and not get distracted by external and cultural events.

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Attack

Firstly, I'm going to talk about our good ball attack. I'm not really sure if that's the right phrase to use but by that I mean genuine attacking plays, attacking shifts, attack at their end of the field etc. It looked very good for the most part, potent and dangerous. It's an area that Parra have really struggled against us historically and it looked to be the case again. They probably covered it better than in recent years, but I still think we had them on the edges, especially in the first half. It looked pretty crisp, and we were picking the right times to do it. It's a shame a few didn't come off as we lacked the final pass, or the bounce didn't go our way. However, the three tries we did score were absolutely brilliant! Especially the one right before half time. Footy at its best.

If anything, the fact that our genuine attack did look so good makes me even more frustrated and disappointed with the result. This is because we just couldn't get field position and momentum all night to do more of these plays. that's a massive credit to Parra to be fair, but I think it was also hugely an attitude thing for us. The boys just didn't seem to be putting in as much. The forwards especially I am really disappointed in. Their runs didn't have the same 'ompf' and energy to them. They didn't look hungry. Poor attitude and it looked like we were just going through the motions. The Eels were the complete opposite and we got killed through the middle. Absolutely killed. This is a lot to do with our defence which I'll get to shortly, but it's also because we couldn't make ground, couldn't get energy going. Our forwards have a lot to answer for for that in my opinion.

I was frustrated too because once again, we fell into our old negative ways. Constantly going one-out when it clearly wasn't working, making errors and giving away silly penalties.

Defence

Worst defensive performance of the year by a country mile. We've conceded six tries in the last four games combined, yet last night, we concede six in one game?!! So much for being one of the best defensive sides this year, we certainly didn't show it last night.

It's all attitude for mine. We took them lightly and you could see it with the defensive mindset. For our team this year, I think everything flows off defence. If we're on in that area, we're likely to be on in other areas of our game because it all starts with your defence. You could see right from the start of the game last night that we just weren't where we needed to be defensively and it was all attitude in my opinion. We took them lightly and went soft. Didn't look like the boys wanted to get stuck into them. Real lack of line speed for most of the game, a lot of our tackles didn't have any venom in them and we were losing the collision, failed to wrap up the ball and there was a mountain of offloads, and then some of the lapses that occured out wide are just not good enough. As I said, it was all an attitude thing, the boys weren't up for it mentally and it showed.

As a top club that is chasing a Premiership, that defensive performance is simply not acceptable. it's not up to standard.

Player by Player

L.Mitchell: A few superstar plays but I don't think he was that great overall. I'll start with what he did well firstly. Obviously, that strip on Paulo to help set up our first try. That was simply incredible. The show of strength and desire to rip it out of not just any players' grasp, but one of the strongest guys in the game. He then got a nice pass away to Cody and Cody did the rest. Then, just before half time, Trell was at it again with an amazing play. Instinctive connection between Cody and Trell at its best. Trell saw the opportunity through the middle, pushed up into the gap, combined with Cody and took the pass, then got the ball back to him beautifully for Cody to do the rest for AJ once again. It was one of our tries of the year, brilliant play from both of them. Aside from those two try involvements, Latrell had a few other good touches, setting up a couple of line breaks and half breaks with his ball playing. But that's about where the good stuff stopped for him, I was really, really disappointed with him aside from those handful of plays. He failed to get involved enough for the first time in weeks. I think he only had three runs in the first half and then did nothing really of note in the second half. Went missing when we needed him most. he was back to passing to his wingers for kick returns too instead of taking it himself. But probably the biggest thing I'm filthy with him about was his last line of defence. On the Eels first try, he puts in a weak as piss effort on Russell. It was arm-grabbing stuff, refused to get his body in front. A switched-on Latrell stops him easily. Then, in the second half when brown scored, what the hell was he doing???? He gave up on it, no desire to get to the ball, could have easily but didn't even bother. It was a lazy effort. He got what he deserved there. So not a good night for Trell in my opinion overall. Really disappointing in this Round too. Trell is a proud Indigenous man, and you expect him to be switched on and light the Round up in this one, but no, he was way off.

Johnston: AJ was okay I thought. At least, with the ball anyway. Did his best on kick returns and had a few good carries but when your forwards are doing bugger all, it's hard to have an impact with his stature. Did really well to almost score off that kick from Cody early, but then got his reward minutes later with a nice finish for a try. Bagged a double in the first half as he supported the play and got himself in a good position to be an option for Cody. defensively, he wasn't super flash though. Not really bad, probably mixed I'd say. He saved a try at one stage in the first half, but also let one in. I think for Parra's first try, there probably wasn't much he could do about that, it was more of a team breakdown, and we got caught short for numbers. Their last try was a poor effort from AJ though. Tass comes in on Moses because he has to, and AJ fails to react and doesn't follow him in quick enough. he could have got Penisini but failed to react.

Tass: Tassy has copped a bit on other forums, but I actually thought he was okay with the ball. It was his defence which had a mixed night. I loved his effort, he tried really hard and took plenty of carries out of our end which is to be commended. His 14 runs for 133 meters isn't bad at all. A good effort actually when you're getting bashed. He constantly put his hand up. Probably didn't do enough with the ball in attack though if I'm being critical. He did have two errors as well which isn't great. Defensively, as I said, he was really mixed. Did some good stuff, I found myself yelling "great stuff Tassy!" a number of times as he shut quite a few plays down with a great read or a nice recovery when he looked beaten. But he did have some defensive errors which cost us. In the Eels first try, he probably could have gone harder at Moses, instead, he kind of props and is passive, if that makes sense. He sits there and waits. That gave Moses time to execute the play, and it forced AJ to come in. had a poor read for their third try too. He comes up past the line on no one which leaves Cody isolated against a bigger man so that was disappointing from Tassy. I don't think the last try was his fault, there wasn't really much he could do there. it was more Cody and AJ that caused that.

Graham: Stretch was good in a side that was generally poor. He really stood out so hats off to him. 10 carries for 116 meters and a lot of them were the hard ones, the tough hit ups coming out of our own end. So, far out he was good in this area! Just as he always is. Made a line break off Cody in the first half and looked dangerous there, he should have found a pass inside to Trell though. His try to start the second half was brilliant! I've watched it many times since last night and I am in awe of the line he runs. He's running just on Simonsson's outside shoulder to start off with and then as the ball his coming to him in midair, he adjusts his line and steps to the outside in literally a split second. That's not easy to do. Great pass from Cody to put it on his chest but it's the adjustment from Stretch midair which allows him to get through. Brilliant!! His defence was pretty damn good all night, he shut down so, so much for us with great reads or quick reactions. Would have been exposed a lot more down that right edge if it wasn't for him. However, that doesn't mean we should ignore the defensive errors he did make. On the Eels second try, Campbell probably overreads the play and rushes up on Gutherson which leaves no one on Matterson. The poor attempt at tackle from Tatola and Ilias on Brown allows him to get the ball away and Matterson to streak away because Stretch had been left behind due to him rushing up. Later on, he also fails to clean up the kick which leads to Parra's third try. I'd also like to point out he did make three errors too which isn't great. So he is only human. But he was one of the only guys out there who was truly switched on and having a dig.

Milne: Not too much to write home about for Taane, he was pretty quiet. His stats look alright, 125 meters isn't bad. Made one error though and he showed poor sideline awareness at one stage when he was bundled into touch. Not too bad defensively, watching the replay, I didn't really notice much he did wrong personally.

callmack1

Staff member
Walker: Probably our best player to his credit. One of the only ones that was actually switched on and there to play with intensity. He tried really hard. On fire with some of his attacking plays, Cody at his absolute best. He was unlucky not to have a try assist off that kick for AJ early on, that was incredible vision, great execution, and if it wasn't for Gutherson, AJ probably scores it. But Cody got one back just minutes later as he took that pass from Trell off the strip, did very hell to fully bump off Penisini who jammed in, and then float a lovely pass out to Aj for a try assist. Great play. Later in the half, we go on a raid down the right and it's Cody the provider again, amazing pass inside to Stretch to make a break. Unfortunately, this one didn't lead to a try but it was still one hell of a pass. The highlight for Cody was no doubt our second try though. I already kind of went through it when I talked about Trell earlier, but that play was mostly Cody. Electric attack, electric skill to do what he did. pass inside, stay with the play to get the pass back, burn a couple of defenders and then throw a difficult pass to put AJ in for his double. So good to watch!!!! To start the second half, it was Cody again getting a third try assist with that beautiful pass to Graham to score, great to watch again. After that though, he kind of disappeared. Not happy with some of his defensive efforts either it's got to be said. Really average effort by him on Cartwright when he scored, just didn't get his body in front at all. I know he got isolated, but you've still got to put in a better effort than that. I think he kind of caused their final try too because if you watch it and break it down, Moses is way on the outside of Cody, the ball is almost in Moses' hands yet Cody fails to react to that, he's not even looking at Moses, he cuts back in on the lead runner which I just can't explain why. It's really confusing if you really watch it. Anyway, that forces tass to come in and leaves a hole. Even despite these defensive errors, Cody is still my man of the match because he laid on all three tries and he put in an effort.

Ilias: I don't even really know where to begin on Lachy. I also don't want this to sound like I'm attacking him. Love the bloke and I'm one of his biggest supporters. He's been fantastic for much of the last six weeks but there is just no excusing his performance last night. It was putrid, terrible, just so friggin bad. He's lucky Trell stripped the ball from Paulo because Lachy decided to run on the last, got caught and then threw a silly ball straight to him. I know he was playing behind a beaten pack, but he didn't really do much with the ball all game at all eighter. His kicking game was awful. Shockingly bad. I can probably count on one hand the number of decent kicks he had. Most of them we just so bad, not to mention the two kicks out on the full in a row which put us under massive pressure and cost us two tries. Really poor. His defence wasn't great either. It's normally an area he prides himself on but even that was off last night. His effort to shut down the play when the Eels scored their second was not good at all. he also, along with Graham, failed to clean up the kick which led to their third. As I said, I don't want to knock him, love him to bits but he's at the stage of his career now where there is no excuse to be that bad. I know he's going to have his average games, as every young half does, but not that bloody bad. His second-worst game of his career. I'm backing him to bounce back next week.

Tatola: Not the greatest, not his usual output. He certainly looked off attitude wise. Nothing real bad but nothing of note either and we have come to expect more than that from him.

Cook: He's been going pretty well this Season but he wasn't great last night. Just ineffective really. Not many effective runs at all and when he did decide to run, he went back to his hesitant shit he has done in the past. A huge defensive output as always with 48 tackles but that's about all there is to be impressed with.

Sele: One of our better forwards. He really stood up and tried to lead the way when not many around him were with him. 12 carries, 138 meters and most of them were 100% effort. He ran with aggression and showed us that brilliant leg drive as he always does. Hats off to him.

Chee Kam: Not great to be fair. Largely ineffective. He did try to his credit, he was putting in, but just didn't have any sort of impact on the game whatsoever.

Host: Very poor. I've been loving his work in recent weeks, but he hardly did any work last night. 4 runs for 31 meters is simply not good enough when others around you are tired. I think he'd be the first to admit that.

Murray: A tired performance from him. One of the only games I can remember from him that I'd say he was really ineffective. Not the usual energetic runs we normally see. His ball playing was alright though, and he did still make 42 tackles but man, he just looked so tired. Not a great sign coming into the Origin period, I can't see him playing much more than 2-3 games for us over the next six weeks, he needs a rest and he deserves a rest.

Taaffe: Nothing to say because he didn't even get on. I think that's pretty poor from JD to be honest. We were losing and there was some tired guys out there so why not get Taaffey on to try and change things? I'm not saying Blake would have done that by the way but why not try? Especially when you're losing badly. If you're not going to play him, why not name Lovett or Duncan or something? It's a waste of a bench spot and means we have to play with 16 men otherwise.

Arrow: Really good! Great even! Very close to my man of the match. He's probably the only one out there that you can say didn't do anything wrong. Really led the way in the pack, you could see he was trying to inspire. 16 runs, 159 meters, 38 tackles with none missed, and no errors. A very good night for Jai. One of the few guys who looked like he didn't take Parra lightly.

Knight: Shithouse to be honest. Love him but I am a bit off him after last night. Back to the usual shit he was doing last year. Just 4 runs for 41 meters. Not good enough off the bench when you need to be making an impact. Then that silly penalty he gave away was just silly, compounded by the back chat. Such poor discipline.

Suluka-Fifita: Pretty good. Came on and I actually noticed his impact. he really ripped in and went hard. Not sure why he didn't get more minutes because he was looking like one of our better forwards.

So, as you can tell, I'm pretty cranky today, pretty filthy on the boys. I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling like that. Why wouldn't we? It was our worst performance since that Round 15 game last year. The only game this year where I really feel that the attitude was way off, and the boys didn't have a crack. That's all this game comes down to for mine, attitude. If we turn up switched on, fired up and don't take Parra lightly, I think we win. I know it's all shoulda, woulda, coulda, but that's how I see it. The boys didn't do it, they clearly turned up and thought it was going to be an easy win. You could see it in the way we played, clear as day. Parra were great, outstanding, but I think that game was more of a reflection of our poor attitude than it was of their great performance. But, they wanted it more than us on the day, and that proved to be the difference.

Just so friggin disappointing to do it in Indigenous Round too. Such a special Round for our club and it's one we seem to always get up for. Not this year. The club went all out for it, more than we ever have it seemed. Maybe the boys were distracted by it? I don't know. But for me, there's no excuses. It's bitterly disappointing to lose to a team coming 14th in Indigenous Round this close to the Origin period. It's not acceptable.

In saying that, it's not something to get too carried away with. When I say all this stuff, it's not trying to be doom and gloom, I'm trying to be constructive and just say how I feel in this moment. It was just one of those nights for the boys and while it's not acceptable, I think we'll be fine as long as we learn from it. We know how good this team is this year. We know we can beat anyone. We not what we can do. Last night was just a case of them not doing it.

Hopefully this game is just a speed bump and a bit of a reality check. Hopefully this will make the boys hungrier and make them realise that despite how good we are, you can't just turn up and expect to win, you have to earn it.

Still lots to work on but onwards and upwards,

Glory, Glory.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Sorry to hear that, God bless

callmack1

Staff member
You guys are the absolute worst losers, a little class from time to time won’t hurt…..oh wait :)
How is it not classy to criticise our own team's performance and not be happy with it when they clearly played poorly? We have every right to do so and it's pretty valid after the way we played.

Many of us, including myself, have given credit to Parra.