What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 v Rabbits Game Day Thread

Eelementary

Post Whore
Out of all the refereeing decisions I mentioned, what ones would you disagree with? Also take into account you guys won penalties 10-5, so I think its pretty hard to argue that you got ripped off by the referees.

I'm talking about:

* the try you scored off an obstruction (of qhich we have had several disallowed this year)

* kneeing Semi in the head as he's scoring...and nothing coming of it

* your last try coming off two blatantly forward passes

* your team standing offside all night

Chipmunk

Coach
What happened with Wicks and Gower? It can't have been all that bad because they came back to feature.

Unfortunately there is a shortage of quality props going around. We too are short on front rowers - that is why Nathan Brown was playing as a prop for us tonight. I know Kelepi Tanginoa is injured but from what I heard he was killing it in NSW Cup; do you think he will be playing first grade next season? Also, why isn't Daniel Alvaro being given a run? I've watched him a few times this season and every time I've seen him he looks the part.

Haven't seen Tanganoa play in a while. Alvaro isn't any better than those.who played tonight, but we might as well give him more of a run for the rest of the year.

souths_pride

Juniors
I'm talking about:

* the try you scored off an obstruction (of qhich we have had several disallowed this year)

* kneeing Semi in the head as he's scoring...and nothing coming of it

* your last try coming off two blatantly forward passes

* your team standing offside all night
1. Were you watching the Fox Sports coverage? I think it was Greg Alexander who called it obstruction but what players were obstructed? No South Sydney player made contact with a Parramatta defender?
2. Granted Semi was kneed in the head but it wasn't foul play. I can't remember who it was (I think it was Nathan Brown) was just coming across in the attempt to make a covering tackle. In saying that we have seen a few given in recent years. I can remember us getting an 8 point try awarded last year in the Bad Friday clash with the Bulldogs when Isaac Luke got collected in the head. Sam Burgess also gave one away in the grand final qualifier in 2012. However, that is not a shocking call; its more a 50-50.
3. I thought they were flat passes but I can accept that they may have traveled slightly forward. In any case, Michael Jennings' forward pass was missed for Semi's second so it evened itself out. Also, even if that try was disallowed Adam Reynolds try probably should have stood earlier on. Even though the upper-torso grounding rule is a joke, by the letter of the law it should have been a try. I don't know how the video referee determined that the ball came off his arm.

Other than that, I don't think you can have too many gripes in terms of bad refereeing.

souths_pride

Juniors
Haven't seen Tanganoa play in a while. Alvaro isn't any better than those.who played tonight, but we might as well give him more of a run for the rest of the year.
Do you think you guys will have any salary cap space when everything is sorted to make a play for James Tamou? Wasn't there rumours towards the end of last year that he was interested in joining Parra and that you guys were after him?

Chipmunk

Coach
Do you think you guys will have any salary cap space when everything is sorted to make a play for James Tamou? Wasn't there rumours towards the end of last year that he was interested in joining Parra and that you guys were after him?

Who knows how much salary cap space we have. Alot will depend on what Norman does.

souths_pride

Juniors
Who knows how much salary cap space we have. Alot will depend on what Norman does.
That's another contentious issue in itself. Do you think he is really worth the money he is asking for? While he looks a decent talent, what has he really done? He played well in the Auckland 9s and dominated against the Bulldogs. Aside from that, how many games has he won for you? I think people seem to forget that in between the glittering performances, there have been a few shockers. For instance, his game against the Tigers on Easter Monday was horrendous. In my opinion, he is a decent player but he needs to do more if he wants the sort of money he is asking for. Personally, I would let him go to the Roosters and make some sort of deal that would see Ryan Matterson come back to you guys. Not only is he a better player but he would cost less because he is a rookie which means you have cap space to sign a front rower!

Wizard Sleeve

Juniors
That's another contentious issue in itself. Do you think he is really worth the money he is asking for? While he looks a decent talent, what has he really done? He played well in the Auckland 9s and dominated against the Bulldogs. Aside from that, how many games has he won for you? I think people seem to forget that in between the glittering performances, there have been a few shockers. For instance, his game against the Tigers on Easter Monday was horrendous. In my opinion, he is a decent player but he needs to do more if he wants the sort of money he is asking for. Personally, I would let him go to the Roosters and make some sort of deal that would see Ryan Matterson come back to you guys. Not only is he a better player but he would cost less because he is a rookie which means you have cap space to sign a front rower!

No team can afford to have over 2 million tied up in their halves in the modern game unless said halves are both out bloody standing , and you're right , other than the Bulldogs game Normans failed to show he's worth the money he's asking . Without Foz beside him he's been bog average for someone who's asking the best part of a million bucks .

You could stick a Keary next to Foran who'd do just as good a job .

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach

Well at least he's been there every week, which is more than I can say for his halves partner.

Personally if Norman decided he didn't want to continue playing for Parra I wouldn't feel any less of him if he left. The entire club has been a complete clusterf**k since the moment he signed.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think the team with the defence we had in the first six weeks would be a good chance. I don't feel we're anywhere near as good as that now though (and haven't for a few weeks). That team in the first six weeks wouldn't have allowed the first two Souths tries to be scored.

How about the last try? What a f**king disgrace. No trust or communication, but even worse, where was the cover? There was zero effort to fill the space with defenders. Beau Scott was the only one pushing across at the end there.

We need Mannah and Foran back ASAP.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Out of all the refereeing decisions I mentioned, what ones would you disagree with? Also take into account you guys won penalties 10-5, so I think its pretty hard to argue that you got ripped off by the referees.

We should've got a lot more than ten penalties tonight. Souths were very dirty, and got away with it.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Tough loss the boys tried hard but i think the last two weeks of BS is telling on them, Souths tackled high all night but with Cummins in charge nothing was ever going to go our way.
Normans terrible kick on the thirds changed the momentum and the game.

Seriously doubt we will win another 5 or 6 games. Team looks spent.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
It was always gonna be tough without Mannah, Foran, Peats leaving. But to lead 20-6 and then get run down is a concern. Just cant seem to finish them off. Some of the last tackle options were ordinary but I suppose the lead up on occasions didn't help. They went side to side and then the next tackle didn't give much space for the kickers. Gotta play field position, don't give the opposition with a little sniff.

yy_cheng

Coach
We should've kicked the penalty goal when Norman stuck his fingers up for 2 pts. But then we didn't

We really struggled to penetrate their defense and it was brilliance that helped us score most of our tries.

However, we were so buggered we probably would've lost in golden point

Parra47

Juniors
Very disappointing end to the game after a terrible two weeks.
The effort was there but as I said before the game, take Peats and Foran, our main organisers out of the game and we are going to struggle for direction, and we did.
Letting Peats go was a terrible mistake I believe. I'd have much rather let DeGois, Terepo and Paulo go to get us cap ready. Got no idea if that would have made us cap compliant or not though?
And that is the difference between a half who's best attribute is his running game and one, like Foran, who's best attribute is his organising game. (as I pointed out last year).
Last nights game, despite the effort, was a very hard game to watch.
We'll improve when Foran comes back.

I could see last nights result happening.

* The players looked stuffed in the last 15 minutes and I knew we couldn't hang on with the lack of possession
* The 9th min stand was one of the best things I have been involved in at the ground
* The actual crowd lacked something - I am not sure what it was, but besides the rousing cheers as the team can on the ground, it was quiet the rest of the game
* Well done to all the fans who created signs.....shame we couldn't see them all
* The refereeing was atrocious (to both sides). But I am not surprised the officials are going to influence our matches, the NRL didn't want us in the finals. In saying that, Trent Robinson was spot on about Cummins
* The 6,7 and 9 are your attack - we had one tonight. And it told in the end. Norman had a quiet game but he had too much to try and do as well.
* I agree that our bench hasn't had the punch all year. Peni has been ordinary, Wicks hasn't done much, Gower is struggling without regular game time. De Gois is a better impact player in my view but.
* All the head hits and bench time for concussion tests hurt us
* Beau Scott is enormous for this team

Lets start planning for 2017 already. Foran shouldn't rush back if he isn't ready.

Gronk

Staff member
Dean Widders ‏@Deanwidders 8h8 hours ago
I believe if Parramatta had not lost their points they would have found a way to win tonight, you could feel the pressure on their shoulders

oldmancraigy

Coach
1. Were you watching the Fox Sports coverage? I think it was Greg Alexander who called it obstruction but what players were obstructed? No South Sydney player made contact with a Parramatta defender?
2. Granted Semi was kneed in the head but it wasn't foul play. I can't remember who it was (I think it was Nathan Brown) was just coming across in the attempt to make a covering tackle. In saying that we have seen a few given in recent years. I can remember us getting an 8 point try awarded last year in the Bad Friday clash with the Bulldogs when Isaac Luke got collected in the head. Sam Burgess also gave one away in the grand final qualifier in 2012. However, that is not a shocking call; its more a 50-50.
3. I thought they were flat passes but I can accept that they may have traveled slightly forward. In any case, Michael Jennings' forward pass was missed for Semi's second so it evened itself out. Also, even if that try was disallowed Adam Reynolds try probably should have stood earlier on. Even though the upper-torso grounding rule is a joke, by the letter of the law it should have been a try. I don't know how the video referee determined that the ball came off his arm.

Other than that, I don't think you can have too many gripes in terms of bad refereeing.

Well played Rabbitohs. Your blokes came out loud and proud and eked it out in the end.

I would argue 1 shocking set of decisions kept you in the game.
Wicks is stripped 10 out from his own line, ruled dropped ball. The eels are hanging on, but Scott is penalised for making a tackle while onside (your hooker held it too long); from there the bunnies go in out wide and get back in the game.

Eels had it in their grasp though - a couple of bad decisions by our players cost us in the end.

On the grounding: i believe knock on as to ground with torso ball must be on the ground, you can't take itnto the ground with torso (i may be wrong?). Clearly reynolds takes it to the ground with torso. I thought that was a good call?

strider

Post Whore
The reynolds no try ruling was that it hit his arm first, so knock on before the torso thing ... well that seemed to be what the bunker dude said ..... I thought it was a try

Inglis putting his elbow in the face and head slamming was certainly old school ... old school grubby f**king shit .... probably cost us the game considering we lost one of our better forwards this year and tired so badly at the end of the game with only 16 players