What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 v Titans

Rabbits20

Immortal
what do you guys think about trying this lineup:

1. inglis
2. auva'a (right)
3. goodwin (right)
4. walker (left)
5. johnston (left)
6. keary
7. reynolds
8. tom burgess
9. mcinnes
10. tyrrell
11. carter
12. turner
13. sam burgess

14. cook
15. talakai
16. brown
17. clark

(injured: george burgess, musgrove, sutton, hunt, gray, oldfield, crichton)

Whitelaw is also injured and Gosiewski must be injured too.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Walker is going well at fullback. I had a feeling he would.

Inglis gets plenty of ball at five eighth, but the opposition defense are covering him pretty well. Inglis looks more dangerous out wide against smaller defenders. They just have to make sure they give him enough good ball. We could have a very good attack on the left edge if we have AJ at left wing, GI at left centre, and Walker next to him (as a fullback). I feel Keary should be on the field for 80 mins. Keary has a nice short ball, but it's just a shame we don't have a lot of second rowers who are good at running onto the ball and in a gap. Grevs was good at it, but his attitude turned shit. Sutton is injured. Talakai is an option, and I'd keep him on the interchange for now.

Keary is best used at the moment as that impact player off the bench. I wouldn't have him playing 80mins.

Cody needs to cut out the errors too. Apart from that I'm relatively happy with him.

souths_pride

Juniors
Walker is going well at fullback. I had a feeling he would.

Inglis gets plenty of ball at five eighth, but the opposition defense are covering him pretty well. Inglis looks more dangerous out wide against smaller defenders. They just have to make sure they give him enough good ball. We could have a very good attack on the left edge if we have AJ at left wing, GI at left centre, and Walker on his inside (as a fullback). I feel Keary should be on the field for 80 mins. Keary has a nice short ball, but it's just a shame we don't have a lot of second rowers who are good at running onto the ball and into a gap. Grevs was good at it, but his attitude turned shit. Sutton is injured. Talakai is an option, and I'd keep him on the interchange for now.
I'm not to sure about having Keary on the field for 80 minutes. He had his opportunity there at the start of the season and he lacks the structure and vision to play there. Moreover, I'm not sure what his best position is because at the moment he seems to playing a combination of hooker, five-eight and halfback. I would personally continue to play him off the bench and bring him on at the back end of games when his instinctive running-style of play is best utilised against tired defenders.

souths_pride

Juniors
I agree with all you say here.

We are getting the balance right---Cody is suited to F/B;he's a very dangerous player running the ball. He is inexperienced in the F/B role but he's shown enough already to be given a chance to cement his spot there!

GI is best for us now at 5/8 where he can control the play more efficiently.
What worries me is that Madge has promised him the five-eight position for next season. I personally don't agree with this whole philosophy of promising players certain position because it ends up elevating individual desires over what is best for the team. In saying that, people may in turn argue that Walker would have signed from the Broncos is Madge hadn't promised him the spot. Whatever the case, I feel that Cody Walker has the makings of a top, top fullback because of his elusiveness and the fact that he can pop up almost anywhere; that is the benefit of having a good broken field runner - they are almost impossible to stop in one on one situations regardless of how good a defender you are.

Dogmatix

Juniors
So far Cody Walker has shown he has a great running game. But he's got nothing else. Kicking game and passing game are both below par for the NRL. Looks nervous under bombs. Last ditch defence at fullback lacking so far (see the two Ryan James tries, Inglis at fullback would have stopped both)

Fullback looks the best place for him to secure a spot but he needs to improve his fullback play a lot

souths_pride

Juniors
So far Cody Walker has shown he has a great running game. But he's got nothing else. Kicking game and passing game are both below par for the NRL. Looks nervous under bombs. Last ditch defence at fullback lacking so far (see the two Ryan James tries, Inglis at fullback would have stopped both)

Fullback looks the best place for him to secure a spot but he needs to improve his fullback play a lot
What you say is true and I think much of it is down to the fact that he is relatively new to first grade and has never played much of fullback. With regards to kicking, its not going to matter too much because that is what Adam Reynolds is in the team for. What concerns me more is his positional play and being able to defuse bombs; if he can do those two things then he can be a top, top fullback. If he struggles with it, then I would consider moving him into the centres, which is what I would have done originally.

Inglis would have stopped both them tries that's the trade off
Cody is a great attacking player but clear for all to see too small to stop the big boys close
I'd prefer a fast fullback that is a solid reliable last line defender after all who needs a player with only 50% of the skills needed to make a big contribution to his first grade team
I like Cody but he surely is no GI saving tries is he

DiegoNT

First Grade
Drawing a long bow in blaming Cody for the Ryan James tries methinks.

Brown fell of badly in the first james try. Both cody and turner could of made better efforts but had an uphill task after brown had dropped of so meekly.
For the second, james simply overpowers the front on defender, which was sam burgess, again cody and tyrell could of made better efforts but again it was an uphill battle after james had so easily gotten over sam burgess

southsport

First Grade
Cody is a great attacking player but clear for all to see too small to stop the big boys close
I'd prefer a fast fullback that is a solid reliable last line defender after all who needs a player with only 50% of the skills needed to make a big contribution to his first grade team

If Inglis was fullback and Cody 5/8 Ryan James still would have run at the small man so it's a falacy to say Inglis would have stopped those tries.

souths_pride

Juniors
Brown fell of badly in the first james try. Both cody and turner could of made better efforts but had an uphill task after brown had dropped of so meekly.
For the second, james simply overpowers the front on defender, which was sam burgess, again cody and tyrell could of made better efforts but again it was an uphill battle after james had so easily gotten over sam burgess
I thought it was a poor effort all round for both James' tries. For me is more about wrapping the ball up and ensuring that the player couldn't ground it than anything else. It was complacency.
If Inglis was fullback and Cody 5/8 Ryan James still would have run at the small man so it's a falacy to say Inglis would have stopped those tries.
The thing with fullbacks are that they are a last resort in defence when the line in breached. Very rarely does a fullback get blamed for missing tackles in a one on one situation so long as he puts his body on the line and rightly so. You should always be looking at how the defensive line was breached in the first place when analysing how tries were conceded.
if that's true then he might as well just play him there now
Well I do wonder what is to become of the whole situation. What happens if we go on a winning streak, Cody excels at fullback, Inglis kicks-ass at five-eight and everything works out for the best this season? It becomes very hard to justify moving people around. That is why I'm not a fan of promising people positions - the team always has to come first.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Correct.

doyen

Bench

Cody will be good at F/b--just give him some time!!

He is not small[90kgs]---he is learning his new role!!