What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 vs Dragons - Game Day Thread

84 Baby

Referee
I think fitness was a key factor in the swap yesterday, French still recovering from having his knee removed and Gutho is fitness god

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Here are some more stats that aren't based on one game...

This season we have won 4/9 (44% winning average) with French at fullback and 5/6 (83% winning average) with Guth at fullback. Both of them have played four teams that are currently above us on the ladder.
Have a look at the halves they were playing outside. Gutherson didn't have to play outside himself.

BoneyBlake17

Juniors
I must say full credit to will smith when he came in to replace kaysa. I actually didnt notice him at the game. And as a dummy half that isnt the worst thing because he didnt make any mistakes made his tackles and just did the job as required.

Djay

Juniors
We kicked them to death yesterday honestly it was f**king awesome to watch.

Both Moses and Norman kicked long and short to perfection with some repeat sets here and there, more then I have seen us do in total over the last 5 years.

It was one of the differences, they had to work it out of they're own 10n so so many times yesterday it made it awfully hard for them to get any good position.

On Brown and Mau'u, if they had a decent prop or 2 in front of them mowing up the metres, they would honestly go up another level, if that is even possible? Both absolute guns.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That second NRL quality kicking option has been our biggest need ever since Foran left. Look at the pressure it's taken off Norman. He's free to run it on the fifth tackle now without risk of getting caught with the ball and killing our set.

Djay

Juniors
We also controlled the whole game and won convincingly. You do realise the winner is the team with the most points, not the most LBAs don't you?
But French only made 11 metres yesterday and scored try, while Gutho was MoM with a double...... we didn't get enough LBA's yesterday, damn! Move French back to fullback, it wasn't enough yesterday Gutho didn't provide enough LBA's!

hindy111

Post Whore
If bevan wasnt on wing a few things dont happen
Bevan forced a line drop out with his speed.
Bevan scored a try with his speed.
Bevan shut down atleast 2 tries with speed.

A few things that do happen if Auvua on wing

But more grunt, maybe taka has less hit ups.

The question for me isnt about just gutherson or bevan. It is more about Hoffman,taka,Auvau. Who plays where or in first grade.
Id pick Taka at centre so that keeps teams as last game.
If picked Hoffman then Bevan goes to fullback and Gutherson to centre.

Bevan at fullback can create space with speed and footwork while Gutherson can bust tackles with power. Gutherson has a superior passing game at this stage. And defense close to line is a bigger body.
Kicking is equal. Safety is equal. So i dont mind who plays where.

Eelogical

Referee
There's been a whole lot of musings by the learned scholars of the senate on the positional selections made by Arthur Caesar. For mine, Clint has excelled in the #1. Hail Claudius Guffo!

Noise

Coach
Don't forget Ma'u and Edwards and Takairangi. Arthur's loves his playmakers.

So why is it so important that our fullback is one too? According to supercoach stats (not most reliable but easiest to find) Gutho has 7 of your beloved LBAs. The Roosters fullback (Gordon) has 5 and Sharks (Holmes) has 5. I think hs playmaking is fine

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So why is it so important that our fullback is one too?
Because we attack on the edges and need blokes who can 'play football'.

Gutherson is a quality first grader and a good fullback, but his linebreaks tend to come either from supporting somebody else's work, or just because teams still don't respect his running game, meaning they fall for his dummy.

Noise

Coach
So let's say we attack down our left, then we currently have 3 playmaking merkins in a row next to each other (Norman, mau, Taka) do we really need a 4th? And on the right we have 2 - Moses and Edwards.

If we move French to fullback then we will likely lose Taka as a center (replaced by Gutho who you say is not a play maker) and we still have the same amount of playmaking in the team whether we attack on our edges or not.

BoneyBlake17

Juniors
Saw a couple of interesting stats today. You can twist them into whatever suits i suppose.

But we are only behind storm (2nd) when it comes to beating teams currently in the top 8. Can be deceiving as we have played more teams in the 8 and probably should be in the 8 with the byes.

But still our record is better against teams above us 5/8 compared to teams below us 3/7.

Then we are 7-0 when leading at halftime despite it seeming we are struggling to close out games.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So let's say we attack down our left, then we currently have 3 playmaking merkins in a row next to each other (Norman, mau, Taka) do we really need a 4th? And on the right we have 2 - Moses and Edwards.

If we move French to fullback then we will likely lose Taka as a center (replaced by Gutho who you say is not a play maker) and we still have the same amount of playmaking in the team whether we attack on our edges or not.
You know French isn't just a playmaker though right? None of them are.

Why do you think Arthur's has picked French at fullback in every game but one this year? Why do you think he said in yesterday's presser that French is a fullback if he didn't want a player like that in his spine?

Noise

Coach
French is a capable fullback. But at the moment he has realized that Gutho is the best option at fullback. Who do you think will play fullback next game?