What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 (2007): Warriors vs Cougars

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Round 2 (2007)
New Zealand Warriors v Cougars

Game Thread:
Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
Only original essays, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.
Rules: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.asp
Home team allowed one extra reserve player

KICK OFF - Game Commences: Sunday 8 April 2007
FULL TIME: Wednesday 18 April 2007 at 9pm (Syd time)

REFEREE: antonius
Venue: Mt Smart Stadium
ground_ericsson_1.jpg

**The Referee Blows Game On!**
whistle_2.gif

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Warriors team

byrne_rovelli_fan82 (c)
Keepingthefaith
Jesbass
rayroxon - on debut
Robster

Bench:
Murphdogg1
Nz Warrior
mad kiwi elloco bandido

roosterboy60

Juniors
The Cougars team for this match:

SD (C)
Black Kitty
Mr Rock
Locky1
Locky_Jr

Bench:
Choc
Roosterboy60

Good luck everyone.

Hallatia

Referee
Locky Jr kicks of Round 2 of forum7s for the Cougars

♠♠♠♠♠♠♠​
Tears Don’t Fall

“Tears don’t fall, they crash around me.” Bullet for My Valentine said it and league fans witness it on a regular basis. Rugby League players are tough men and tough men do not cry. However it would be fair to say that everybody associated with Rugby League had good reason to shed a tear when one of the games greatest legends waved goodbye to the sport forever.

It appears that in regard to this legend the “tears don’t fall, they crash…” and “…The broken bones they heal no more, no more…” It is hard enough to let go of such a legend, but the way he had to go brings more than a tear to one’s eye. The retirement of Andrew Johns can in some regards be likened to the death of Elvis, although their last few years were not either mans’ best, nobody wanted either to go out the way they did. Elvis will always be remembered as the King of Rock ’n’ Roll and Johns the master of Rugby League. Even in those years where Joey was not at his peak; he was always able to produce miracles, no opposition would ever be safe against him. Legends of such calibre deserve to go out on their own terms.

Joey excelled for his club, his state and his country. Even his numerous man of the match awards, player of the series, Dally M points, best and fairest honours and the fact that he captained all the sides he played for sum up so little. On the topic of Andrew Johns, words are never enough.

Joey does not need the game; so one does not shed a tear for him. Joey is not losing out; he has accomplished everything in the game. It is the National Rugby League which is at a loss; one sheds a tear for the game… for Rugby League has lost a legend. Whilst Joey can move forward in his life, the sport must mourn because Rugby League has had a great loss. The question is no longer ‘what Joey has done for Rugby League,’ but ‘what will Rugby League do with out him?’ For surely, such a legend is indispensable.

Somehow the season must continue and the game must go on. Rugby League must move forward from here. Although Johns can no longer be on the football field, his legacy will remain in the heart of rugby league forever. Such a beautiful, complete player like him does not come around too often. The sport gave him a job; he gave the sport so much more. He gave the game a superstar, he gave fans hope, he delivered sheer skill and heart on a weekly basis and there will only ever be one Joey, but everybody now wants to be the next Andrew Johns.

To emulate his game would be any halfback’s dream. The simple things he brought to the game are the ones which will continue to live on in the heart of Rugby League long after his boots have been hung up. It will always be the Joey Johns banana kick; he had skills like none before him. Although it seems all too likely that many after him will try and produce that similar magic, there will never be another Andrew Johns - a player with the same confidence on the field and with the ability to lift a team without so much as a simple look.

One can say so much about this true legend of the game; but only ever be able to describe so little. There were few games he has played where he was not in control; it was not only the way he got his team out of trouble but also the way he helped his team mates reach new heights. During the fourteen years in which he graced Rugby League it was not just his team mates at the Knights who improved under his guidance. It was also the players who may have only played one representative match alongside him who benefited immensely from his presence.

Johns will always be remembered for the legend he is. Now his time has passed so the game issues a challenge to all current NRL players and the future generations to come: the bar has been raised!
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠​

717 words

Black Kitty

Juniors
Back Kitty takes a pass from Locky_Jr, the girls are off to a good start for the Cougars...

Hey Presto…

How many times have we heard a footballer say ‘I didn’t ask to be a role model’? Of course they didn’t ask for it. But they did sign a contract to be a professional footballer in a game with millions of fans from all ages and walks of life. Just like they themselves were normal guys from varied backgrounds. So it is only natural that those fans would look up to and admire them. Young footballers of the future aspire to be just like them. So much of what they do affects their young fans and their old ones too for that matter. My article will hopefully illustrate this.

There is a phenomenon I call “small townie-ism”. You may not know of it unless you’ve lived it. I grew up in a small town, Gilgai by name, halfway between Inverell and Tingha. The same Tingha that Titans fullback Preston Campbell originates from. The same place my Grandfather was born and raised. Now I’m not saying this to try and associate myself to this man. In fact I hardly knew him. We went to the same high school; though the most contact I might have had with him would probably have been a “Hi” in the corridors, if that. But he does prove my point of how just one man can become a role model without any intention to do so.

I’m quite sure that like many of his fellow footballers Preston has no idea who most of his fans are, or just how they can influence our lives. It does not change the impact they can have (even if it’s just a moment in someone’s day). Today it was the effect on my Grandfather, of seeing him watch someone from his hometown achieving his dreams. They had trod common ground, played on the same footy field as youngsters, swam in the same dirty watered creek. I’d never really given it much thought until Easter Saturday.

I’d traveled the 300 or so kilometers back home to see my family. I especially wanted to see my grandfather as my grandmother had only passed away a few weeks before. I lured him to come for dinner on the promise that I’d have the footy on.

‘Both my teams are playing… can’t miss it’, was his gruff acceptance of the deal. That in itself I had to laugh at; I guess duel allegiances run in the blood. Apparently though the Titans were slightly ahead of the game in his opinion because they had that young Preston fellow from Tingha.

He shows up at 3:55pm. Opens the back door searching the room for me, ‘Well girl, is my chair ready? Can’t miss kick off’. I settled him in and took my seat beside him.

Every time Preston got near the ball he would yell and cheer for this young man he had never, and would never, meet. Hometown associations are strong out here and I could see the pride on his face as he watched. I saw him truly relaxed and smiling for the first time since my Grandmothers passing. I sent a silent Thank you to Preston. Through my Grandfathers respect of this young man I had seen his triumph and greatness too. I think from then on I watched my precious Grandfather just as much as the game. Watched him smile at this hometown stranger.

At halftime he told me of how proud he was that Braydon (his grandson, my cousin), talked of nothing but playing professional football, just like Preston. Braydon is also a young Tingha lad, all of 12 years old. He knows in his heart that he will be the next Tingha boy to make it to the big league. Football was written in every fiber of his being, and determination to follow his idol out of the streets of the small town. You could see he believed it because he had proof it could be done.

I looked into my Grandfathers eyes and realized he wasn’t just seeing Preston on that field, he was seeing his grandson in 8 or 10 years. He was seeing a lifetime of dreams and hard work, not Preston‘s, but Braydon’s.

So, by being one young boys idol Preston had managed to touch three lives. Now times that by every fan of every player of every team and tell me that they don’t sign on as roll models when they sign that contract?

Hey Presto… Instant role model, just like magic!

749 words including title

Mr Rock!!!

Juniors
Mr Rock!!! grabs his old boots out of the locker, straps them on and makes his way down the tunnel for the Cougars.

The most notable thing is

On March 19, 2007 I started the working day with my usual internet surf to view the League news and came across an article written by Dan Koch and Margie McDonald, which stated that Willie Mason was on the verge of elevation to the Australian Captaincy should Lockyer have missed the Anzac Test.

If true this meant the Australian Test Selectors, deemed Willie Mason to be the first player in line for the test captaincy behind Lockyer and it made me think of the many great leaders(on and off the field), that have had the honour of captaining their country bestowed upon them.
Just to refresh the reader’s memory, below are a few of the greats.

Messenger
Gorman
Brown
Prigg
Churchill
Kearney
Barnes
Gasnier
Raper
Sattler
Langlands
Beetson
Fulton
Krilich
Lewis
Meninga
Fitler
Johns
Lockyer

Let’s take a look at one of the past captains, John Sattler. Sattler was a destructive lock forward. However, on many occasions Sattler played beyond his weight, as a prop and mixed it with the greatest players. Appointed South’s skipper in 1967 he went on to pilot his club to four out of the next five premierships. People who played against Sattler on the field will inform you he was dirty, hostile and not a very nice bloke on the field in general. In fact throughout his career, he was sent off on 15 occasions and served 30 weeks suspension in total.

And mate was he tough? You don’t play 70 minutes in a grand final with a double fracture of the jaw without having that label stamped across your heart. That’s not even taking into account that none of his team-mates knew until half time that it was broken, and he still managed to bark orders at his side all game, lift the shield at the presentation, and then make his way to the hospital.

But the true majesty of John Sattler is the man he is off the field. He earned the nickname of ‘Gentleman John”, because he is the most softly spoken, tender man you will ever meet. And I know from experience.
The first occasion I met John Sattler was an under 13’s schoolboy representative tournament I attended on the Gold Coast in 1984. John Sattler took us young blokes for a training run, and coached with dignity, poise and encouragement. To tell you the truth, I didn’t even know who he was back then, but I do know that my Dad was over the moon when I came home and told him who coached us that day.
And after my Dad told me some stories about him, I carried around a confidence on the field from that day forward that was never present before.

I had been inspired by a great Australian, a great former Australian test captain, but more importantly, a great man.

I have had the pleasure of talking to John on many occasions since. Being a muso, I have regularly performed at a venue John has been managing for the past 4-5 years. You should see the bloke parade around that hotel.
Always talking to the customers, and randomly buying roses for the ladies to make them feel special.
He talks to the local drunk, and chats to the future, 5 year old league players that are running around the bistro whilst Mum and Dad eat their dinner and have a bottle of wine.

And he always manages to carry that same gentle tone in his voice, and dignified poise. Yep, that’s the type of bloke I want captaining my country. Someone my son can look up to. Someone he wants to be like.

The Australian test captaincy is a precious jewel, and the names of all captains should be associated with prominence and prestige. Mason, has never, and will never slot into that category. He's brought the game into disrepute, on far too many occasions to be rewarded with such prominence. His reward for good behaviour (or lack thereof) is to still be a part of the game at the highest level

The most notable thing is, this article started with the intention of pointing out Mason’s faults and why he shouldn’t captain the country. But it was only my thoughts of ONE of the names mentioned in the above list that changed the theme from one of negative, to positive. And that, my league loving colleagues, is what the Australian Captain’s name should always be able to accomplish.

748 Words including title

References

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21403882-23214,00.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sattler

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Keepingthefaith takes the ball up for the Warriors, he jinks, steps, fends, stops dead, and attempts a field goal not because he wants to, but because he can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Standing Up For The Little Guy

How would you like to go to work everyday knowing no matter how well you performed it would never be good enough? There’ll always be someone to criticize and bring you down. No performance will ever be good enough. It doesn’t sound too appealing does it? This is the reality faced every week by our NRL referees.

Now I’m not saying they’re perfect, far from it. There are times when a rough decision can lead me to screaming abuse at the TV, not to mention the remote, which has taken its fair share of unscheduled trips across the room. The thing is, my reaction is almost identical when a player throws a bad pass or misses the easiest of tackles close to the try line. So the question begs, how come it’s always the referee’s fault?

Everyone has a reason for watching and supporting their team, but for every fan it comes back to one thing – our love for the game. That emotion and passion makes us scream with frustration whenever we’re behind, the same emotion causes us to leap up and down with joy in unnatural ways.

It’s a reaction created by our love and passion for the game, the players and teams we support. It’s natural, almost as natural as human error. Unfortunately passion and human error don’t mix too well as passion knows no reasoning. In the heat of battle human error is no excuse, not when it can be the difference between winning and losing. Truth is though; I have seen few games in recent times where the referee is the sole reason for a team losing.

If you listen to the fans then every round there’ll be eight teams who were unfairly treated, over the course of a season it’s difficult to find a team who lost a match without a little help from the opposition’s “fourteenth man”. The passion which fuels our love for the game is what blinds us to where the real blame should to be placed. Thirty-four players, two coaches, eighty minutes, and yet every week it’s one man who in one moment may or may not have gotten a decision wrong.

If I remember nothing else from the 2006 season it will be Melbourne were easily the best team, and that the referee didn’t cost them the Grand Final. The Storm were a class above Brisbane from start to finish, even on paper for all their representatives, Brisbane never should have touched Melbourne. Sure they had the emotion of Webcke’s farewell on their side, but emotion can only take a team so far.

The truth is Melbourne had seventeen players who forgot what got them to the Grand Final. The game plan was forgotten, the players folded under pressure, and they blew what should have been a night of celebration. A couple moments of controversy from a referee in an eighty-minute game doesn’t change that, because for the other seventy-eight minutes Melbourne weren’t the better team. They deserved to be the premiers more than any other team, but it’s not the referees fault they’re not.

In the end it’s far easier to blame the man in the middle for anything and everything that goes wrong on a football field. Our passion blinds us to reason. The clubs we support, the players we cheer for, we feel a connection with them that makes it hard to lay blame. Referees don’t have that luxury, not once have I gone to a game to cheer the referee, nor have I heard others do so. Quite the opposite as there have been times where a twenty-point win to the home team has still resulted in a chorus of boos for the officials.

I have no doubt the next time my team takes the field I’ll be cursing the referee for every possible infringement that might have gone against my team. That doesn’t make them wrong, and at the end of the day after all the abuse, screaming and blame they are forced to take, the referees are brave enough to come back the following week. Not just because they share the same love for the game as any fan, but because it’s their job. How many fans would be willing to go through that?

716 words including title

rayroxon

Juniors
Trailing in the wake of KTF's destructive burst and dramatic field goal is Rayroxon. Butterflies, nerves and the odd shot of adrenaline will serve this debutant well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Introductions

“…these strategies will help you cope with exams improve your confidence in your ability to succeed. That should do it for today”

Not a moment too soon was the less than audible sigh from the classroom. As soon as the chalk was down the students hurried out of the classroom and into the courtyard. Some were heading home, some were heading to the cinemas and some to the park across the road. One chose a different path. Holding an incredible urge to urinate for the past 2 hours he hurried past his peers, ignored their shouts and ran into the adjacent courtyard; the call for nature growing stronger with each passing second.

Relief was almost his, until it crashed against the blue iron of a locked up toilet stall. Choices were slim, he could go against the gate, wet himself or try getting to the station as soon as possible before he burst.

Choosing the latter, our busting buddy ran down the stairs, darts across the road and starts heading down Miller St, North Sydney past an Oval he’d only viewed during cross country carnivals and sports days. This day the shouts ooohhs and ahhhs of 6000 people echoed out like a sirens call, especially for an 12 year old with a full bladder. Curious, he stepped closer to the sound, while doing a slight shuffle from foot to foot, closer to the gate that would influence his life profoundly.

Contrary to his previous encounter these particular gates looked to be open and no one seemed to be doing anything about it. He picked up the pace in case someone changed their mind.

“Walk on in son, the gates open after half time, besides with the Bears dropping their bundle like they have and the crowd the size it is no one would mind” said the kindly gate keeper.

Mumbling his thanks and hurrying through, he had only one thing on his mind. Looking up and following the signs he hurried past the old members stand and into salvation in the form of a length of shiny stainless steel. As his worries trickled musically away against the metal trough the voices swelled as one reminding him of what also drew him there in the first place.

Rugby League.

In front of him stood the most idyllic ground he’d ever seen. Bathed in the calm late winter Sun it was first grade rugby. It was the Illawarra Steelers vs the home town North Sydney Bears. It was his first view of league tribalism, albeit on a smaller scale than usual.

It was first grade league and pacing the western touchline were Rod Wishart and Daryl Halligan, real life footy legends! It was being close enough to view the furrows in the players brows, the tension of defence and the fluidity of attack. It was the jubilation of victory and the bitterness of defeat. The sound of the hooters and the support of a crowd. It was his first live taste of Rugby League and it was a taste he never forgot.

And just like that the siren sounded and the spell was broken.

“Play like that and they won’t deserve to be in the five let alone making it in the first place” said one fan as he bustled past. The 28-8 loss hadn’t affected one fan. Myself. I had been led by my bladder, drawn by the shouts captured by the tribalism. The star factor, the wow of being at a game, the crowd atmosphere, even the allure of a stadium; those intangibles that you don’t always recall had left an impression and would have me back again and again.

Skipping 14 years into the future these intangibles were forgotten for a brief moment. Marvelling at the ineptness of the referee for a blatant stripping penalty I cursed under my breath. All the cursing would be in vain as the books recorded a 13-10 Warriors loss against Manly. As I kicked the sofa in frustration, the memory of a day at North Sydney Oval surfaced and it caused a smile. The loss had briefly been forgotten.

When supporting the team sometimes the support of the game gets forgotten. What drew you there, why you enjoy it, why you have that passion. Next time your team gets dusted up sit back and remember what drew you to the game and it'll ease the pain for a brief while, if not kick the sofa, that helps too.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

746 words including Title. Go Warriors!

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
byrne_rovelli_fan for the Warriors. Gives rayroxon an encouraging cheer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Loyalty

After the recent surprise injury retirement, call by rugby league’s premier player Andrew Johns the sporting code stood in shock. Here, was a man and a great man in all his glory past present and future and the pin dropped. Finally, after all the years at the top level he was taking the last breath a small wisp of the oval outfield before trading it in for domestication. Not only is this brilliant sporting code losing one of its finest specimens it is also losing a figurative icon in all facets of the modern game. Most of all we are losing his unbiased loyalty.

There is no secret in the modernity of league a life span of a league player is endless. Starting out as young as 17yrs debuting in first grade in the likes of Melbourne Storm sensation Israel Folau right up to the ripe old 34yrs of age in Warriors prop Ruben Wiki. So with their playing future rolled out right before their eyes the public hungry fans can thus settle back and enjoy a bright season ahead.

Under the surface, however circumstances are not quite as clear-cut. Deal done, no questions asked but there remains an awe of uncertainty. It would not take long for a player to become disgruntled and feel their time has lapsed and change needed. For the profound professional league player what the public see as purely entertainment is also the player’s daily job. Like a regular average Joe, slumping off to work the same said for a person like Wiki. One small facet sets Joe and Wiki part. At Joe’s work place no cares to watch him work while Ruben once a week has 10,000+ fans cheering him on for 80minutes.

In the case of Andrew Johns and Ruben Wiki their loyalty to their chosen sport is unquestionable. Johns is not only regarded as the prime footballer of this era but alas one of few Knights players to have stuck around throughout their playing career. Similar fashion Wiki held during his tier at the Raiders despite moving on and now flourishing a second career with the Warriors. They however had a safety net knowing their futures were secure at least until June 30th or even as far as the end of the season leaving them to concentrate on football. Now the June 30 deadline disposed and player security is free-to-air. Windows of opportunity are open as rival NRL clubs can sneak in deals early causing more disruption then ever before. If players found concentrating on football a problem with the deadline no doubt they are bound to feel even more aggrieved with the sudden change.

Now it is a rare occurrence to look up player biographies on the web and to find players with less than one previous NRL club. Even more of a shock the odd few with NRL club listing on a yearly basis. Gone are the days when fans can savor watching their favorite player at their favorite club. Player-club swapping from 2007 onwards represents the dealer in the poker match. Shuffling his cards until satisfied then dealing a set out and very unlikely do the players involved receive a carbon copy of their previous hand. Ever so discretely, they play cautiously yet with unperturbed cunning to get the hand required for victory. All in similar fashion as players and NRL clubs congregate together and draw up the contract. It is highly disappointing when through financial reasoning or a bit of ‘sea change’ threatens playing careers. These young and skillful blokes are left to ponder where their immediate future lies. While it may look safe as does Melbourne Storm Greg Inglis it does remain to be seen at the end of his current contract, his status demand more money and how the Storm handle his demand.

Example- Steve Turner, lured by the idea of moving up the coast, yet his love for the Storm burned too bright. Storm not fussed they had a ready-made replacement though they appreciated Turner wished to stay.

Club loyalty-is not just a fact, it is and should be a way of life. Only problem is, there is a severe price to pay. Keeping a Joey Johns or Darren Lockyer in one club means other young players are left to fall by the way side. No more anti-tampering deadline means more previous NRL clubs on their bios. Gone are the days of lone-time service Joey was one and now:

‘He has left the building’
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

750 between the lines including title.

Jesbass

First Grade
Jesbass stumbles onto the field and without looking takes KeepingTheFaith out in a gruesome high tackle, before panicking and fleeing for the changing room.

Don’t Shoot The Messenger (745 words including title)

Just a castaway
An island lost at sea
Another lonely day
With no one here but me

Herbert_Henry_Messenger.jpg

On the 20th of August, 2005, Andrew Johns spoiled Stacey Jones’ farewell party by engineering a solid 16-4 at what was then Ericsson Stadium. Jones’ final home game for the Warriors hadn’t gone to plan, but Johns made amends for this at the post match function, where he told a parochial crowd of Warriors fans of his respect and admiration for The Little General.

Just over eighteen months later, and with Johns’ retirement still hitting the headlines, Jones was able to return the favour.

“His competitiveness – his skill – was just a level above everyone else,” said the New Zealander of his rival at both club and international level, “and also the confidence he brought out in the players that he was playing with.”

It isn’t often that rivals publicly compliment each other, but when Andrew Johns shocked the rugby league world on the 10th of April by retiring from the game – following what looked like an innocuous collision with fellow Knights players at a mid-week practice – it brought about an end to a stellar career, and plaudits were predictably swift from around the world, from friend and foe alike.

More loneliness
Than any man could bear
Rescue me
Before I fall into despair

After all, 249 first grade games, 23 matches for New South Wales in the State Of Origin series, 21 tests for the Kangaroos, two NRL Premierships, two Dally M Medals, and a Clive Churchill Medal tend to make opposition teams respect a player.

Newcastle recovered well to bounce back from the shock to defeat the resurgent Rabbitohs 23-22, with young New South Welshman Jarrod Mullen looking to fill Johns’ giant shoes. Fittingly, the club has announced that the number seven jersey will be retired for one week.

But it isn’t just the Newcastle Knights who need to find a replacement player for Andrew Johns. Of all the teams to be missing his presence, it is the Kiwis who ironically find themselves in an awkward position following the former Kangaroo captain’s retirement.

Johns was to have become the second Dally Messenger.

I'll send an S.O.S. to the world

The first, Herbert Henry Messenger, was born in New South Wales in 1883. Initially a rugby union player, he travelled as part of the 1907-1908 All Golds team that played against and defeated Great Britain two matches to one, the tour marking the birth of international rugby league. Dally played a total of four tests for the Kiwis, scoring two tries and five goals.

With nigh on a century having passed since that momentous occasion, the New Zealand Rugby League invited Andrew Johns to play as a modern day Dally Messenger in a commemorative tour to Great Britain. The choice, it seemed, was a simple one.

Both Messenger and Johns were creative players who revolutionised the way the game was played. Messenger even forced a rule change, when, upon kicking the ball behind the opposition players, he ran out of the field of play, around the oncoming defenders, and back onto the field to finish off the attack and score a try.

Likewise, Johns has changed the way the game is played, with his all round quality – his ability to set up tries with a cut out pass, a grubber kick, a chip and chase, or a towering bomb, all perfectly complementing his strength in the defensive line.

I hope that someone gets my
Message in a bottle

And so now, it seems, the New Zealand Rugby League must come up with yet another Messenger to find their way out of this unfortunate conundrum. To do otherwise would not only make Andrew Johns’ invitation hollow and meaningless, but it would also make a mockery of the game’s first international pioneers.

The most obvious suggestion for a replacement would have to be Brisbane Broncos playmaker Darren Lockyer, but with the club’s long history of refusing a number of players to join the Kiwis squad, and with ex-Roosters standoff Brad Fittler also being touted as a possibility, the true identity of the new Messenger remains to be seen.

Message in a bottle!

Sources:
Song lyrics taken from 'Message In A Bottle' by The Police
www.letssingit.com
www.nrl.com
www.warriors.co.nz
www.wikipedia.org
“The Kiwis: 100 Years Of International Rugby League” by John Coffey and Bernie Wood, 2006

Robster

Bench
Robster runs up
==
Just like the Island Way

_42307108_tonga270gi.jpg

If you think about sports in the Pacific Islands the first thing which would come to mind the 15 man code rugby union and even the 7 man version of the game. However with a bit of thought those thoughts can change into something more exciting.

Worldwide Rugby League is more I guess a ‘minnow’ sport compared to the International scene of Rugby Union.
Rugby league first came to the Pacific Islands in 1986, with first international competition in the ‘Pacific Cup’ in 1988.

After early promises and positives, the game took a turn for the worse during the Super League War in 1997. Not only damaging the popularity of the ARL and ESL competitions, it also affected the game as a whole in the Pacific Islands. This downfall was followed by a fall in revenue from the 2000 World Cup, and the banning of cigarette sponsorship in Tonga almost saw the game disappear.

For years the Rugby League World has only had three giants of the New Zealand Kiwis, Australian Kangaroo’s and the Great Britain Lions. But imagine a forth giant? Imagine professional NRL/ESL players with blood that links to being a Fijian, Tongan, Samoan or Papa New Guinean all merging to be one tribe, one continent. I present you my “PACIFIC ISLAND TEAM”.

Below I have selected players who would qualify to play for my Pacific Island side; I have excluded big name players such as Petro Civonoceva (Fiji) Brent Kite (Tonga) and Steve Matai (Samoa) as they are more than likely to be selected to represent one of the three ‘Giants” in each test match.
I have selected a few players who have played for New Zealand in the past due to them being unlikely to get selected for the Kiwis team for quite sometime.

1 Patrick Ah Van (Warriors) (Samoa)
2 Henry Fa'afili (Warrington) (Samoa) (Kiwis)
3 George Carmont (Newcastle) (Samoa) (Kiwis)
4 Wes Naiqama (St George) (Fiji)
5 Lesley Vanikolo (Bradford) (Tonga) (Kiwis)
6 Thomas Leulauai (Wigan) (Samoa) (Kiwis)
7 Stanly Gene (Hull KR) (PNG)
8 Fuifui Moimoi (Parramatta) (Tonga)
9 Tevita Latu (Wakefield) (Tonga) (Kiwis)
10 Willie Brown (Roosters) (Samoa)
11 Sione Faumuina (Cowboys) (Samoa) (Kiwis)
12 Awen Guttenbiel (Castleford) (Tonga) (Kiwis)
13 Vinne Anderson (St Helens)

Bench
14 Charlie Tonga (Roosters) (Tonga)
15 Neville Costigan (Canberra) (PNG)
16 Fraser Anderson (Cronulla) (Tonga)
17 Karl Te Mata (Harlequins) (Cook Islands)

Captain: Fuifui Moimoi
Goal Kicker: Wes Naiqama
Coach: Marcus Bai (PNG)

Not just to the Pacific but imagine the success and life to Rugby League World Wide if my above selected team was formed. Just think about how much joy and enthusiasm it would bring to the Pacific Nations and lastly ponder the above team competing against the three giants of Rugby League.

And to think such players as Andrew Lomu, Clinton Toopi, Henry Perenara and the ‘Paea’ brothers missed out would suggest huge depth around a possible Island team. Not much would be lost if some of the top squad were injured and not available with great back up.

I know if this were to work it would take quite some years to make it successful. I shall be putting a petition online up sometime in the next few weeks and then be sending it to the board of Rugby League to review.

What a dream and miracle it would be to Rugby League if this were to happen.
-----
resources
wiki
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com

Steel Dragon

Bench
Steel Dragon for the Cougars.
(Captain - WTF?!?!:sarcasm: )

Sturgeon’s Law
"Nothing is always absolutely so"

I picked it.
I’m generally not one of those people that say “I told you so,” but in this instance, I wish I wasn’t right.

I was reading a League article on the Sydney Morning Herald’s website early in March. This particular piece of writing outlined what the writer was looking forward to - big match ups, certain teams’ potential, the representative season – the works. Then I came across the part at the end, where readers can submit their opinions and thoughts on the article and such. There were the typical litterings of “Sharkies Rulz,” “Broncos r going back 2 back” and other literary gems. Then there were more extensive ponderings offering slightly more insight into random peoples predictions, mostly about how they thought teams were going to fare this year.

But me – I’m a smart-arse, I wanted to make people think a bit more. So I wrote (tongue firmly planted within cheek) what I was looking forward to with the beginning of the season.

I replied that I was looking forward to the referees strictly enforcing some long forgotten archaic rule that hasn’t been thought of since before Super League – for three weeks.

Boy, was I right!
When was the last time (before 2007) you can remember a player being penalised for not playing the ball with their foot?
I can’t say I can clearly remember one – ever. Sure there have been plenty of incorrect play the ball infringements, but before this year, none that I can recall that were purely for not using the foot. The first three rounds officials were penalising anything that remotely looked incorrect. Many times players made an effort, but their foot took an ‘air swing’ just missing the ball. The play the ball rule actually states “When the ball touches the ground it must be heeled (i.e. backwards) by the tackled player.” (1) I don’t believe anyone, in the entire time I have been watching League, has ever played the ball with their heel. In my opinion, if the player has made an effort to use their foot, he shouldn’t be reprimanded for it. Why then is it that the rule is being interpreted one way, but being enforced another?

The tackled player should “regain his feet where he was tackled, lift the ball clear of the ground, face his opponent’s goal line.” (2)
Some time not long ago, referees cracked down on players not facing “his opponent’s goal line” when playing the ball. For some reason, Carl Webb seemed to be the most strictly scrutinised player. He was penalised again and again, seemingly, more harshly than everyone else.
But what happened to that rule? Many players still don’t face square when playing the ball, even more get to their feet and step over the tackler, making an extra few yards. Why have the referees appeared to have forgotten this particular rule? Is it that they were once told that they had to keep an eye out for it by someone, so they cracked down on it – for a few weeks?

Remember the other year when grapple tackles were all the rage? Players were penalised relentlessly for having their arms anywhere near a ball carriers head. “A tackler must not make use of any special “holds” or “throws” which are likely to cause injury.” (3) Again, it appeared the referees came down harder on Melbourne Storm players more so than other teams, penalising defenders anytime their arm (many times inadvertently) came near ball-carriers’ heads. Now you have to decapitate someone before referees will call a grapple tackle. What has changed?

How long will this ‘obstruction’ fad last within officialdom? Do referees actually know what they are pulling players up for anymore, or are they just blowing the whistle every time a decoy runner goes through? I’m not entirely convinced anyone can sufficiently explain that rule or explain when the rule is enforced out on the paddock. I know I couldn’t work out the ruling from reading the rule book myself.

It’s not that I want referees to become lax in the rules, or to disregard any of the current ones. Or for that matter, I don’t want referees to enforce them even more strictly. All I ask is that referees rule on a match, tackle to tackle, play to play. They shouldn’t be influenced by what particular rule is trendy to enforce week to week.

Is consistency to much to ask for?

750 Words
http://www.nswrl.com.au/files/rules/international_rules.pdf
(1) Section 11. The Tackle and Play-the-Ball. 10. (e)
(2) Section 11. The Tackle and Play-the-Ball. 10. (b)
(3) Section 11. The Tackle and Play-the-Ball. Foul Throws 1. (a)

Jesbass

First Grade
A pity to not see 5v5, but don't get too worried, Cougars. This match isn't over yet...

Hallatia

Referee
are you tipping a Cougars victory Jess?
I must say I did not read all the Warriors' articles, but I am sure you would have a little more faith in your team:)

Jesbass

First Grade
I always tip a Warriors win, hehe, but I've seen a team of two beat a team of four, so nothing is ever certain. ;-)

Hallatia

Referee
well so I can keep the faith that the Cougars can win I will not read any Warriors articles and have faith that we can pull up a better score

rayroxon

Juniors
I only learnt english last night in time to type the article so you won't have to worry about my one worrying the scorers Locky :p

Latest posts