What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 v Cowboys

possm

Coach
Please show me where I have stated that I rate Wiliame ahead of Ford?? I said I can understand why the coach has made this call.

If you scroll back through the comments I said I wasn’t happy with Wiliame being selected in round 1 or 2 but we need cover for Bird and the outside backs. Not exactly a glowing endorsement for Wiliame is it??

Plenty of other posters in this conversation seem to agree that Ford should be playing reserve grade yet you jump on my comment. Why is that??

Clearly the Ravalawa comment was tongue in cheek to show Saab some love but you obviously missed that. Other posters got it but not you.
I'd say that Griffin, in seeing what's in front of him, is makeing the correct selection decisions. When what's in front of him changes, I'm sure he will still make the correct decision.

Ramsey to fullback, Griffin most probably believes Ramsey needs more time in first grade before considering him for the fullback position.

Williame over Ford, I'd say Griffin believes Ford has returned unfit and not in form.

Feagai Brothers, Griffin wants them to earn their promotion to first grade. Maybe in Griffins eyses, they are not fit enough right now.

Kerr on the right edge, Griffin has given Kerr his marching orders and can see progressive improvement. He does not see a better option at this point in time.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Good onya, MD99, for sticking with Merrin. I have noted earlier that while Merrin showed little last year he was offered very little game time in which he could make a serious contribution. I hoped he would show more because the team would certainly benefit from a revived Merrin..

Regarding Williame vs Ford or Feagai: at this stage I am certainly not going to claim to know better than the coach unlike the last 6-7 years when even Blind Freddy would have proved a better strategist than the Coaching Imposter. Just let me make a couple of points - I like Ford and certainly want him to be a long term successful player at the Dragons. But Griffin seems to be looking at no 17 to be covering specific players at this early stage, notably Bird and McCullough, as well as an injured back so if there is no injury, game time could be very limited. In that scenario perhaps a mature player (with less potential) is preferable rather than a developing one. Lomax certainly got little experience from his five and ten minute bursts Mary gave him off the bench in 2019. There was so much criticism of Ford in the trials that perhaps the judgment is he needs time in reserves and now with their bye in Round 2 Ford has only played 40 odd mins since the Charity Shield (quite a mystery he didn't get more time on the field in the one CC game). Similarly Feagai will have better opportunities to develop playing CC rather than spending 70 mins on the 1st Grade bench. Finally Williame did what was required of him in his 10(?) mins vs the Cowboys.
At the moment because we’re getting so much contribution from Faamausili, Alvaro & Merrin it’s giving Hook flexibility at 17. My issue is investing game time in a player who so unlikely to be retained. But in Hook we trust he knows best.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I'd say that Griffin, in seeing what's in front of him, is makeing the correct selection decisions. When what's in front of him changes, I'm sure he will still make the correct decision.

Ramsey to fullback, Griffin most probably believes Ramsey needs more time in first grade before considering him for the fullback position.

Williame over Ford, I'd say Griffin believes Ford has returned unfit and not in form.

Feagai Brothers, Griffin wants them to earn their promotion to first grade. Maybe in Griffins eyses, they are not fit enough right now.

Kerr on the right edge, Griffin has given Kerr his marching orders and can see progressive improvement. He does not see a better option at this point in time.
Other than a injury to Dufty I don’t think Ramsey is physically ready for fullback so I wouldn’t expect a change anytime soon even though Dufty’s errors are starting to mount. Also just the one try & no try assists so far this year.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Just to be clear, you lot are rating Williame above Ford? FFS Williame isn’t a NRL player this has been proven over many years. Ford has upside & potential plus a local product. If not Ford I’d rather Feagai or even Ellis on the bench instead of Williame

Feagai has shown more than Ford when given opportunities imo- can hit and run hard.

Maddragon99

Juniors

The only issue I have with Ramsey at fullback this season is his size I think he needs another big offseason in the gym before he’s ready.

The way Fuimaono is playing he’ll be difficult to dislodge from Lock so if de Belin makes a comeback it’ll probably be on the right edge.

Bird’s long term position is a tricky one, I think he’s a bit wasted in the centre’s so if de Belin doesn’t come back he’s a candidate for the right edge spot.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
The only issue I have with Ramsey at fullback this season is his size I think he needs another big offseason in the gym before he’s ready.

The way Fuimaono is playing he’ll be difficult to dislodge from Lock so if de Belin makes a comeback it’ll probably be on the right edge.

Bird’s long term position is a tricky one, I think he’s a bit wasted in the centre’s so if de Belin doesn’t come back he’s a candidate for the right edge spot.
Right now, Griffin sees Bird at left centre, Let's see how he goes after a few rounds . I'm sure Griffin has a handle on this.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Right now, Griffin sees Bird at left centre, Let's see how he goes after a few rounds . I'm sure Griffin has a handle on this.
I honestly think he’s only playing centre to regain match fitness & confidence in his knee. He’s a hard runner with a offload so he’d be great on an edge. Also that frees up left centre for Mat Feagai.

mickeylane

Bench
As far as I'm concerned, the Dragons worst was against Souths then slight improvement against Cronulla. We improved slightly more in defence this week and the attack still being a little rusty but Hunt pulled us through w 3 try assists this week plus a try for himself...

This side will slowly get better each week and the nice draw we have over the next 3-4 weeks will see us in good stead when we are to meet the heavyweights...everyone remember Jack Bird is still clunky yet he looks a beast at some moments during the game so when he gets going over the next few weeks watch out...he will deliver another dimension out wide...

In closing, I think Norman did quite well and if he plays like that each week, I'd take that performance every day of the week until the end of the season...there was urgency, he was getting up our players and took control with nice kicks when needed..Hunt on another level and Rava, Lawrie and Ramsay worthy mentions....

We are on the way up and definitely, we have the measure of the below teams after seeing the first 2 rounds of action...just hoping we can jag the odd win against the top sides to push us up the ladder..
Tigers
Nth Qld
Broncos
Bulldogs
Sea Eagles
Warriors
Possibly Knights
Said it last week only getting better each week as is JACK BIRD... watch out !!!

Dragon David

First Grade
Poor Cowboys copping a lot of flack. Nil wins in three games and their players not happy. We sort of had that malaise for a few years with Baldy and with Deano, as they have something in common with another baldy and Deano.

since77

Juniors
Poor Cowboys copping a lot of flack. Nil wins in three games and their players not happy. We sort of had that malaise for a few years with Baldy and with Deano, as they have something in common with another baldy and Deano.
Does my head in to watch clubs hire untested and frankly mediocre coaches these days. There’s no way a top line club would have hired Payten as a coach.

The Badger

Juniors
I honestly think he’s only playing centre to regain match fitness & confidence in his knee. He’s a hard runner with a offload so he’d be great on an edge. Also that frees up left centre for Mat Feagai.
Would love to see Bird on the right edge to feed Lomax and Rava.Zac is facing the same problem as before where he is not getting any decent opportunities because he has been stuck outside first Tyson and now Josh.Great effort by Josh to improve in the edge role but two of our most lethal attacking weapons are not getting any clean ball.We dont really know how good Lomax is until he has a quality edge forward like Bird inside him.That right edge is still vulnerable in defence.Jacks positive agression would drag Zac up into the face of the opposition instead of him standing flat footed unsure what to do.Manly went through them early a number of times last week.Bird is also wasted playing so wide at centre.He is a difficult player to contain because he can play any role.Very unusual to see that versatility in the modern game.Similar to Gutherson but rougher and stronger.He is the wild card that Griffin has on his hands.

Payten and Young as a combo was never going to work.
Both are coming across as hard ass coaches.
You need a balance in the Coaching ranks just like each playing squad needs a good balance.
Dean Young should have hit Cleary up to take over from Trent Barrett, not go work under Payten.