What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 - Rabbitohs vs Cowboys: Sunday 25th June 4:05pm @Accor Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Ahhhh yes. It feels so good to be back doing a Monday morning preview after the week off. But we're back, back into it, back into the swing of things and ready and raring to go. It was nice to have a bye last week, it was much needed, and hopefully all the boys are nice and refreshed, both physically and mentally. They'll need to be this week as we come up against a Cowboys outfit who have found their mojo on a rare Sunday afternoon game at home. It's going to be a great occasion and I can't wait!!

As I said, the Cowboys have really found their mojo lately and are starting to turn their poor start to the Season around. it seems to be a trend of 2023 that we play teams at the 'wrong' time, just as they're hitting form, and that is certainly the case this week. A few weeks ago, you'd look at this and think 'easy win,' but I don't think we can claim that now. North Queensland have been playing pretty decent of late. Certainly, they're starting to get closer and closer to that 2022 Cowboys outfit who almost made the Grand Final. Right now, it kind of looks a bit ominous, who knows what they're going to provide for the rest of the year. They walloped the Storm a few weeks back in what was a statement win, and that just shows you the kind of side they are when they're at their best. We have to expect that kind of performance from them this Sunday. The Cowboys play a pretty flamboyant style of Footy which can be great to watch in a neutral game, but really hard to defend when you're playing against them. It all starts with Drinkwater and Deardon, they're the main threats along with backline strike in Holmes, Taulagi and Feldt. Obviously, you then have Townsend who is their general, and he seems to have regained his form a bit. Their pack is formidable too. One of the best packs in the comp on their day that can match it with the best. Of course, we don't know who will back up for them but I'm expecting all their players to be there, so we'll have to contend with all of Robson, Taumalolo, Cotter and Nanai. That's extremely tough to handle.

For that reason, this week for us has to be all about defence. The past five weeks haven't quite gone to plan and the biggest reason for that is because our defence has gone to shit. We've conceded 30, or close to it in every single one of the last four games. All this after being the second-best defensive side after 11 Rounds. It is simply not acceptable. Yea, we have had a lot of players missing, yea, we didn't get a bye until last week, but it has still just not been good enough. The coaching staff and the squad will be the first to admit that, they'll be more than well aware and I'm sure they'll all be coming back in today, fresh, and ready to work to turn that around. That's the biggest focus for us right now, it has to be. We have a defensive process that stands up against anyone in this comp, we have proven that, but the boys just haven't been living it lately. There's no excuse, and we need to see it improve big time this week against a good attacking side. I really see this as a must win if we still want to push for the top two, While still being in a decent position, we have come of the tracks a little, so it's time to get back on those tracks and a win in Round 17 is bloofy crucial. As I mentioned before, there's no reason why we can't do that after the our first bye. Everyone will hopefully be refreshed, ready and raring to go, and excited. Generally, in 2023, teams have gone well off the back of a bye, so hopefully that trend continues. Like the Cowboys, we don't know if Cooky and Cam will back up after Origin, but with one of the longest turnarounds possible after an Origin game, you'd think they'd be a decent chance. The biggest question, clearly, is whether or not Trell plays. I'm not getting my hopes up, but you'd think he'd be a chance. Significantly, we should finally have Tom back and hopefully Cody has had a rest and will be back too. Those two alone will be massive in's. So, yea, this week is simple for us. It's all about just getting back to our Footy. Our style. Play that Rabbitohs Footy that worked so well for us in the past, and we'll be sweet. But continue on how we have been, and we'll really be up against us. It's up to the boys, they control their own destiny.

Really looking forward to this one!! Finally, we have a game to look forward to again. It seems so far away still but that's alright, it will be here before we know it and I guess it's good to get some extra days to prepare. Time to get our Season back on track baby!!! Lessssgooooooo!!

callmack1

Staff member
It was said that Tom would be back after the bye so hopefully that's still the case.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 17 against the Cowboys,

1. L.Mitchell/Taaffe
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Milne
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Sele
11. Koloamatangi
12. Host
13. Murray (C)

14. Cartwright
15. Havili
16. S.Mitchell
17. Burgess

Clearly the biggest question is will Latrell play or not? I think it's unlikely. However, if he was a chance at one stage last week of playing Origin 2, surely he's a chance of facing the Cowboys? We don't play until Sunday. I think they'll name him and just see what happens. If not, it'll be Taaffe of course.

The backline will remain similar, but I think they'll bring Milne back in. We can't go with Kennar again. I think Taane actually did a pretty decent job earlier in the Season and he was part of our winning run, so I'd like to see him back.

The halves and starting forward pack speak for themselves. The only thing is if Cam and Cooky back up or not. We can't get an idea of that until after Wednesday, but both will be named, I'm sure. If they get through Origin okay, I think they have to play.

On the bench, I'm really hopeful we'll have Tommy B back after a really long lay off so that'll hopefully be a big in. Cartwright will be the utility, Havili will jag a spot if he's fit (he pulled out of NSW Cup yesterday), and I think Shaq deserves a spot over DSF and Davvy right now who is still on the bounce back from injury.

I missed team list Tuesday last week, gonna be good to have it back!!

Travitoh

First Grade
NQ's recent form has been inflated by playing at home either side of a bye. They're yet to win outside of Qld.

This is a game we should be winning comfortably.

Steenson123

Juniors
I thought he had nothing wrong with him. Wasn’t he just re
NQ's recent form has been inflated by playing at home either side of a bye. They're yet to win outside of Qld.

This is a game we should be winning comfortably.
If Mitchell is sidelined... again.... along with Walker we are in serious serious trouble. Taaffe cannot play FB and Hawkins is a slug. Demetriou has to get this side playing hard again or its done the Table is far too congested and most of those around us are winning.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round 17 against Cowboys: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-17-against-cowboys

Team list Tuesday is back babyyyyy!!!

We've named a pretty damn good side too that I'm quite happy with. A few surprises in there, but overall happy.

The big news is no Trell again, but Cody and Tommy B are back which is two massive ins. Stoked to see them return in a much-needed boost. We missed Cody massively in Round 15 and I don't think it's any coincidence that we haven't look as good without Tom since Round 11, so it's great to see both back.

A little disappointed to see Richie still there. No disrespect to him at all but I just think Taane offers more there so was hoping to see him back but oh well.

Cooky and Cam are named to back up so we'll see how they go tomorrow night.

The other big news is Hosty completely dropped, Carty on the left edge with Cheeks on the bench! A big move from JD but certainly justified, Hosty hasn't been great in our recent run.

Davvy also returns to the side which I'm happy to see too. Otherwise, the side is basically as expected.

That's certainly the best side we've been able to name, probably since Round 11 or 12 to be honest and if this is the team that takes the field, and we get our game right, we're more than capable of beating a tough Cowboys side.

Sunday can't come quick enough man!!

Hellray

Juniors
Munro is again named in the extended bench. Is it just to give him experience with the big boys or has he leaped up the pecking order he is seen as a better option than Milne or Karapani?

callmack1

Staff member
Ilias with an eye on improvement: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/ilias-with-an-eye-on-imporovement

Big defence the key for Junior: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/big-defence-the-key-for-junior

Tass expecting a few big things come Sunday: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/tass-expecting-a-few-big-things-come-sunday

Great interviews with the lads. Refreshed and ready to reboot the Season.

Jeez it'll be a nervous/exciting week for Tassy!! Hopefully the birth of his first doesn't disrupt his ability to play but you totally gotta understand if it does. Family first. Will see what happens I guess.

callmack1

Staff member
Munro is again named in the extended bench. Is it just to give him experience with the big boys or has he leaped up the pecking order he is seen as a better option than Milne or Karapani?
In my opinion, he's moved up the pecking order.

callmack1

Staff member
Righteo, now that Origin 2 is over and the dust has somewhat settled, I'm really starting to get excited about this game on Sunday.

Cam and Cooky seem to have pulled up okay and they got through the game fine by the looks of it. Both finished the game. From a Souths perspective, I think the way they were both used in the game worked out okay for us.

Cook, while he played 77 minutes, he was out in the centers so was far removed from all the hard stuff in the middle. He didn't have to do his normal 40-50 tackles. Great for his chances of playing for us this Round. Just hope his confidence isn't shot.

Murray only played 33 minutes. Stupid tactics from NSW, but good news for us because again, he didn't get through too much work so hopefully he's still feeling alright.

We may take a more careful approach with Cam given his recent injury, but I think both will play on Sunday, especially because it's a longer turnaround.

Steenson123

Juniors
This is now Hot Water for Demetriou. The club has stalled after a great start, and key players are going missing. This thing could either fall apart OR get back on the rails. Demetriou has to become dominant here.
Either YOU coach the squad OR allow key players to disappear for weeks largely for R & R. Idea is to "keep them fresh". However, if we keep conceeding 30+ and losing their will be little left to "preserve them" for!!!!
Only 9 regular season contests remaining. Need to get EVERYBODY re-set and re-focused otherwise this season will collapse. Its either everyone get intense again or we are going to sink.

Runrabbit14

Juniors
This is now Hot Water for Demetriou. The club has stalled after a great start, and key players are going missing. This thing could either fall apart OR get back on the rails. Demetriou has to become dominant here.
Either YOU coach the squad OR allow key players to disappear for weeks largely for R & R. Idea is to "keep them fresh". However, if we keep conceeding 30+ and losing their will be little left to "preserve them" for!!!!
Only 9 regular season contests remaining. Need to get EVERYBODY re-set and re-focused otherwise this season will collapse. Its either everyone get intense again or we are going to sink.
Couldn’t agree more - the last 6 weeks has been like spring break !
The intensity level has fallen off a cliff !!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yep we will be 7th I think going into kick off on Sunday we can’t lose this one if we wanna make the top 4. Losing 3 of the last 4 hasn’t helped us.

Sunday is enormous hopefully the boys are up for it and we get a vocal home crowd! This is simply must win EVERYONE COME SUNDAY FIRE UP!!!! Especially if you’ll be at Accor let’s urge the boys home.