What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs Sharks

kit66

Bench
Is it really angst? Angst would be what is written about the likes of the wingers and centres. Whatever may be written about Dufty is pretty tame in comparison. And how many are suggesting he should be dropped?

As for the stats, keep in mind Dufty has played one more game than most fullbacks, so even if he is 2nd in metres gained, it's really like 10th in average metres gained. Dugan has also played one game at centre.

I think it is. Most of the criticisms are petty cheap shots at an easy target. Plus the guy has done nothing wrong, he's not losing us games, not like others in the backline did last year on numerous occasions.
Those others deserved the criticism not a rookie taking on one of the toughest gigs in league.
People can whinge about whatever they want of course but this topic seems a little hollow to me.

Drag Queen

Bench
I think it is. Most of the criticisms are petty cheap shots at an easy target. Plus the guy has done nothing wrong, he's not losing us games, not like others in the backline did last year on numerous occasions.
Those others deserved the criticism not a rookie taking on one of the toughest gigs in league.
People can whinge about whatever they want of course but this topic seems a little hollow to me.
For a FG fullback he hasn't done much right. You guys bagged out Mann after 2 bloody games in the same position. It may seem hollow to you and I'm sorry about that, but talk about double standards. Hmm

kit66

Bench
For a FG fullback he hasn't done much right. You guys bagged out Mann after 2 bloody games in the same position. It may seem hollow to you and I'm sorry about that, but talk about double standards. Hmm

I've never bagged Mann in any position and I've never bagged any of our recent fullbacks, Nightie, Duges etc.
Dufty has scored a few tries hasn't he, made some good runs and obviously has the potential or he wouldn't be out there in the first place. We also have a new halves pairing who need to get their games synchronized and once that happens I'd expect to see them utilize Dufty's talents and speed more often. I'd like to see us use his speed close to the line to chase grubbers ( like slater does ) instead of second rowers.
These things take time, we should just be grateful that we're managing to win games despite having a spine that's not quite clicked yet. I see only good things ahead - well, apart from the bench issue, that's a a worry.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
What did McGregor expect against Cronulla other than an arm wrestle and a grind?
Leilua is probably the wrong kind of player for a local derby, knock 'em down, drag 'em out king of game.
Then why pick the poor sap?
If fitness is still an issue then why is he in FG at all?
McGregor needs to get fair dinkum with the whole use of his squad and game day bench rotation.
Maybe he just doesn't have the smarts or coaching ability to get it right.
It sure looks that way
You nailed it. Mary needs to take team selection and bench management seriously. Select the team that can do the job against a particular team. Take into consideration that teams style of play, players and our players best suited for that game. Most importantly pick players that are in form and fit to play.

possm

Coach
I've never bagged Mann in any position and I've never bagged any of our recent fullbacks, Nightie, Duges etc.
Dufty has scored a few tries hasn't he, made some good runs and obviously has the potential or he wouldn't be out there in the first place. We also have a new halves pairing who need to get their games synchronized and once that happens I'd expect to see them utilize Dufty's talents and speed more often. I'd like to see us use his speed close to the line to chase grubbers ( like slater does ) instead of second rowers.
These things take time, we should just be grateful that we're managing to win games despite having a spine that's not quite clicked yet. I see only good things ahead - well, apart from the bench issue, that's a a worry.

Dufty is still too light and can be rag dolled close to the side line and his own try line. There is not a lot we can do about this in the short term however, he needs to be instructed NOT to try and beat the opposition on the outside close to the sideline and if possible find the ground quickly when bringing the ball out from behind his own try line when it is clear the opposition are in striking distance.

saintm

Juniors
Fair enough Saintm, I'm not saying you did this, I probably just interpreted it this way but I get pissed off when posters try to belittle other posters views.

I like having a logical discussion/argument but comments aimed at trying to make an alternative view irrelevant or naive annoy me.
All good!

dragonssamy61

First Grade
For those who didn't know.

Zac Lomax played Jersey Flegg yesterday along with Sailor, Lovodua and Masters.

Zac kicked 3 goals in there 18 to 24 defeat to the Sharks.

He play full back.
Play ok but we were up 18 to 12 at half time.
Sharks were to good second half 12 to nil.

giboz71

First Grade

Exactly mate.

It’s just cheap shots at one of our most promising players 9 games into his NRL career. All while we’re 2-0 and on top of the comp. I just don’t get it?? And I especially don’t get wishing Duges was still here and paying a bomb for the privilege??

I’m not completely sold on Dufty either and either is the club and that’s why he’s only signed to the end of next year. It’s also probably why we still haven’t filled Thommo’s spot in the squad in case we have to got to market for a fullback.

But while he’s currently playing fullback for us, we should support the kid instead of bagging him so early in his career. As you say, I don’t recall him losing us games like others in our backline like Lafai, Aitken and Nighty.

Added to that, he costs bugger all in our cap unlike Duges would have cost.

Last edited:

watatank

Coach
If you look at the overall picture, the vast majority of comments are positive and supportive when it comes to Dufty. Just about everyone wants him to do well and has wanted do so for years. He's one of the few U20s players that has come through with a great opportunity in a time where our recent record of developing local juniors is poor. He is going to get a lot of rope so what's the big deal? Most of the negativity is basically one poster commenting multiple times.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
IMO we won the game in the first half. Scummers had all the run of play. A strong wind at their back and a try from a forward pass, but we held them to 0-14.

Then Saints scored before half time. 4-14... only one team looked confident after that and it wasn't the scum.

And to those who say both teams played poorly... ffs, our lost shire cousins had enough ball to win three matches.

Credit due to our goal line defence. The boys essentially tackled their way to victory.

Belta

Juniors
From the televised game ISP game last week you'd have to add the second rower Jackson Ford, still very young but looks very promising

giboz71

First Grade
IMO we won the game in the first half. Scummers had all the run of play. A strong wind at their back and a try from a forward pass, but we held them to 0-14.

Then Saints scored before half time. 4-14... only one team looked confident after that and it wasn't the scum.

And to those who say both teams played poorly... ffs, our lost shire cousins had enough ball to win three matches.

Credit due to our goal line defence. The boys essentially tackled their way to victory.

Not just the first half, but when we hit the front at the 60min mark, Hunt got a deep kick in and we basically smashed them in defence that set leading to a Fifita mistake.

That’s when I knew we would win the game.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Dufty is still too light and can be rag dolled close to the side line and his own try line. There is not a lot we can do about this in the short term however, he needs to be instructed NOT to try and beat the opposition on the outside close to the sideline and if possible find the ground quickly when bringing the ball out from behind his own try line when it is clear the opposition are in striking distance.

This post gives me Adam Quinlan flashbacks.

I can't imagine why.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I meant Ford who looks a winner. The problem is that our players stand back and let the backs be pushed over the sideline which is poor coaching.