What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 (2009) WARRIORS vs COUGARS

Pistol

Coach
Forum 7s - Round 3 2009
NZ WARRIORS v ST MARYS COUGARS
nzw-main.jpg
-v-
cougarsf7s.jpg

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5v5 (+ 2 reserves for visiting team, 3 reserves for home team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

ALL THE RULES & REGULATIONS: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

FULL TIME: Wednesday 1st July 2009 at 9pm (Syd time)
REFEREE: Pistol
Venue: Mt Smart Stadium

ground_ericsson_1.jpg

**The Referee Blows Game On!**

CLICK HERE FOR OFFICIAL WORD COUNTER

Jesbass

First Grade
jersey_warriors_1.gif

Eager to make an early impression on the visiting Cougars, Jesbass announces the team lineup to the gathered media...

Starters:
Jesbass (c)
rayroxon (vc)
Kid-Dynamite
Suttsburger
Bay Vikings

Bench:
antonius
MrCharisma
Mixmasterreece

Jesbass

First Grade
jersey_warriors_1.gif

Jesbass takes an early chip and chase for the Warriors, putting the opposition on the back foot...

Moniker Mockery (750 words between the stars and including title)

I created a nom de plume for myself the other week. It was because my workplace wanted me to write an article about, well, myself. And quite frankly, it would have been odd for anyone to read a piece of literature wherein the author talks about himself in the third person. Nonetheless, it got Jesbass thinking...

"What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet." – William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene II

Ahh, good old Bill Shakespeare. I wonder what he’d be doing if he was still around.

For starters, I’m sure a man of his immense intellect would be a rugby league fan. That, quite simply, is an indisputable fact.

But rather than making botanical deliberations, perhaps he’d be writing league articles under the protection of pseudonymity. If he was to take his ‘rose theory’ further, would it work with the names of the teams we see facing off every weekend and through decades gone by?

Would it still be easy to refer to the National Rugby League as “the toughest competition in the world” if it featured a match between the New Zealand Worriers and the Cronulla Shirkers?

Could he uphold the masculine image portrayed through our marketing campaigns with teams like the Wests Tiggers and the Penrith Panters?

What if he were to take a distinctly softer approach? The Newcastle Nighties challenging the South Queensland Love-Crushes might raise a few eyebrows, although it may have the opposite effect on crowd numbers.

League teams generally adopt a fearsome name which - much like the painting of a shark's jaw on a warplane - has minimal benefit to those who bear it, outside of the all important aspect of perception.

To every rule, there must be an exception, and the Kiwis are very clearly it. Because nothing strikes fear into the opposition than the thought of a pack of flightless, nocturnal, grub-eating birds...right?

Of course, with just the smallest amount of anagrammatic wordplay, the New Zealand national side's name could be reinvented. The Kangaroos wouldn't enjoy facing thirteen Wikis at once, I'm sure.

Unfortunately for Shakespeare, though, there's more to this than merely a word. Despite the English playwright's assertions through his character Juliet, names carry with them a sense of history and tradition - especially when it comes to sport.

Take, for example, the South Sydney Rabbitohs. One of only two Australian foundation clubs to still exist at the top level in its original capacity, Souths won the inaugural Sydney competition in 1908. And their name, while open to speculation, possibly comes from the fundraising efforts of some of the club's earliest players.

The story goes that they would skin and then sell rabbits to the public, before taking to the field in their rabbit-blood stained jerseys.

Whether that is entirely accurate or not, it highlights the working class origins that the club was founded upon, and to lose the Rabbitohs moniker would result in an intangible loss of heritage.

I may be short in the rugby league tooth, but I'm inclined to think that something special has irretrievably left us since the Newtown Bluebags became the Newtown Jets, or when the Dragon Slayers of St George became the prey. There's a level of authenticity that accompanies a name like the Canterbury-Bankstown Berries.

To look to the future, one must learn from the past.

Unfortunately, it's too late to change these team names back to their originals. The North Sydney Bears, battling for re-entry to the NRL, will never again be called the Shoremen. And the Kiwis won't return to sharing the All Blacks name with their rugby union counterparts - a practice that existed until the NZRU threatened legal action in the mid-1920s.

It would simply become too confusing, and there would be an unnecessary shift away from more recent traditions. It would, in essence, be akin to starting over from scratch.

So although Irish international Wayne Kerr probably wouldn’t mind a name change, and while Warriors winger Manu Vatuvei might be irked by the knowledge that he shares his first name with the girl doll from Playskool, the introduction of team names like, (as ridiculously unrealistic examples), the Sydney City Rorters, the Newtown Handbags and the North Sydney B(ig)ears would cause an even further loss of tradition – and turn our code into a laughing stock in the process.

This means that Shakespeare was wrong. As a writer, am I even allowed to say that?

Sources:
http://www.abc.net.au/pm/stories/s324987.htm
http://www.rl1908.com/clubcomps/origins.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Sydney_Rabbitohs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwis_(rugby)#The_Kiwis

rayroxon

Juniors
Rayroxon dries his tears for the Warriors and shuffles onto the field...I guess...
(746 words between the ****'s)

****​

Coping with Loss.

The Warriors are underperforming this season and it’s hurting me. It was expected that the Warriors would build on their 2008 campaign and pose a genuine threat; instead the only thing they’ve threatened is my lust for life. Instead of expectantly awaiting finals football, most Warriors fans are merely waiting for the season to end. Some fans have even compared the current campaign to 2004 which, arguably was the worst season in Warriors history. To put that season into perspective, it’s almost as bad as watching the Kiwi’s win the World Cup if you are a Kangaroos fan, or watching Queensland win their fourth Origin Series in a row if you are a Blues fan, or if you’re a Queenslander at any point in history.

For most Warriors fans, myself included, the season died at 7pm Saturday June 27, 2009, or full time against the Gold Coast Titans. It’s now common to read about thoughts of next season which is terribly sad. Warriors fans now find themselves in that purgatory where they’ve spent 6 months waiting for the season to start, only to spend the next 6 months wishing the season would end.

It’s Round 16 and I’ve resigned myself to another season gone. As I watched the game draw to a close on Saturday night I felt the last spark of hope flicker and die within me. To be honest, I felt that spark dim a little when the Warriors chose to take the shot at goal instead of the tap in the 15th minute but, I still had hope and 65 mins on my side. I should’ve known better. As such, everything since that moment has been grey and flavourless, a bit like the gruel served up in Oliver, however only Titans fans, the League impoverished, or the sado-masochistic would ask for more. After that loss, I felt an emptiness which would ensure the long listless hours of Saturday night would blend into the wistful emptiness of a numb Sunday morning. Faced with such a stark reality and with no better options, I climbed into bed at 7:15pm and wept myself to sleep.

Sunday was pure misery. I decided to go to the shopping centre and brood for a bit. My fiancé asked what I was doing and I replied in a mono-sybyllic grunt. Out I stepped with my black hoodie, black jeans, and black shoes. I combed my hair forwards so it would block out the sun and I moped around with my hands in my pockets, ignoring every happy person I could. After wandering around I saw a water feature and a bunch of similarly tortured souls leaning against it so I stood nearby and allowed the silence and brooding to bond us. Eventually one of them spoke up:

“Tigers suck man”

It was a balding man in his late 30’s with a slight paunch and a look of defeat on his face. His comments were a self reflection and statement of fact. He spoke again.

“We haven’t done anything since 2005. We suck”

The other forlorn figures nodded with their own thoughts and burdens. Through a series of grunts and one word answers I found out that they were from Bondi, the Shire, and Balmain. The guy from Bondi showed us a couple of photo’s on his phone.

“That's me in 2001-2005. See how happy I was? Then 2006/07 happened and I started listening to 30 Seconds to Mars and Linkin Park CD’s.”

I looked at his well chewed fingernails as he pressed the “next” button. They were painted black. I felt his gaze on me and looked up. Surrounding the wells of self-pity that doubled as his eyes, was a faint black smudge. He was an emo! I backed away as he wiped his drooping black fringe from his eyes and in that moment I realised that if I kept up my self pitying behaviour I too would turn emo.

With that glimpse at my future I raced home. I crammed my “Mighty Warriors” DVD into the DVD player and watched seasons 2002/03 and felt some of the colour come back into my life. My answer now is to live in the past instead of the present. I’ve already arranged my next viewing of that DVD. It’ll be 7:30pm, this Friday night when the Broncos play a team that I still love, just not this season.

Last edited:

Jesbass

First Grade
Jesbass watches on in horror as Suttsburger, busily eating a burger named after him, (go figure!), is struck by a stomach ache on the field. As he is stretchered off, antonius ties up his laces and runs on.

OUT: Suttsburger :cry:
IN: antonius \\\\:D/

antonius

Coach
Antonius slips on the left over burger while running out for the Warriors, he manages to stay upright and join the battle. It's all captured by the vid ref.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jack In The Box.

A work colleague was discussing the Jarryd Hayne SOO1 no try the other day, and he came up with this idea. “Why don’t they mow a strip down the sidelines 5mm lower than the normal grass, and then shoot a laser beam along the lines between the corner flags at ground level (in the grass groove if you like) then if the beam is broken during the scoring of a try it’s disallowed?” he said. Now you know, and I know there are a hundred reasons why that wouldn’t work, what amazed me though was the fact that this guy had even suggested it. You see this particular bloke is a former captain of a local Newcastle first grade team and an ex Knights junior. A few years ago he wouldn’t have considered a suggestion like that. Like the rest of us he isn’t a fan of the video ref, and the resultant lack of involvement of linesmen and referees, so why then would he suggest another piece of technology to replace them? What had happened to bring my colleague to suggest something like that? I believe we've all been conditioned to accept it as the norm.

With TV coverage of the game, the initial use of replays came, purely to enlighten the viewer as to what had occurred during a previous passage of play. The inevitable then happened, (and I believe this was instigated not by the league, but the television executives). The suggestion of using these replays to rule on questionable decisions was raised. “How good would that make the telecast? It would be like the in car cameras used in V8 Supercars. Of course we’ll only use it for in-goal groundings” they said. From there it’s grown to what we had last year, where we spent untold minutes watching replay after replay, of everything from ball grounding, to offside play, high tackles, obstructions, ball stripping and so on. The video ref was taking over. Great drama for TV, or so the TV executives thought, but contrary to what the executives thought it actually started to turn viewers off . The ball stripping ruling went back to the ref as a result of the growing unrest at the amount of time lost deliberating over replays. However, is there still too much use of the video ref? I say there is.

Unlike V8 Supercars, the video replays, and the in car camera don’t decide the outcome. Cricket has deliberately avoided over use of replays for decision making, believing that the human element adds to the game. Soccer (the world game) doesn’t use any technology, and is probably one sport where it could be applied successfully; again they prefer to have the human element involved. That human element adds more to games than any amount of video replays/rulings could. Think about it. How long since you’ve had the opportunity to abuse the linesman? It doesn’t happen these days, because he has very little to do, all his work is done upstairs by the “Jack in The Box.” If we must have the video ref maybe he could sit on halfway, on an umpires chair, we can throw our insults at him there when he gets it wrong.

It really is unbelievable how often they do get it wrong, then again even after all the different angles and slow mo replays, we ourselves still have differing opinions on the outcome, if anything it increases the arguments. After the Jamie Soward decision in the recent Dragons vBulldogs game I turned the TV off and didn’t watch the second game that night, such was my disgust with that decision.

I go to local games where there is no video ref, and I come away happy that all the contentious decisions have gone 50-50. Happier than if I’d spent a stack of time watching replays on a big screen over and over while the defensive team got their line set, or took a much needed breather. For me the Hayne no try and all the time taken getting the decision ruined the start of SOO1. It halted what was a great start to the game.

What’s the solution? I say we get rid of the video ref altogether, we did without him for years, and still do in all games outside of the NRL. He really isn’t needed; let’s get back to blaming everything on the ref and linesman. Oh and while we’re at it, bring back the contested scrum!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

750 Words between the lines

Last edited:

Bay Vikings

Juniors
Bay Vikings takes the field after pleading with the league gods to let him score a try which would enable him to miss the nudie run at the end of the season.

The Biff

I know what you’re thinking. You saw the title above and thought: "Great, another article moaning about the modern day sanitisation of our game, how much better it was in the past when players were tougher and could punch each other’s heads in without the referees getting involved..."

That isn’t what this article’s about at all. And if it was, you’d still read it because when it comes to the subject of fighting, we all have to satisfy our curiosity. It’s just human nature.

My father got me into league. He was a decent club player and I played a bit myself in school. But I didn’t take it any further because the old man got me into another sport he thought would be more important growing up in a tough working class neighbourhood. He was right; boxing and the other fight sports I took up later on in life have served me well over the years, providing titles, trophies and belts. I even found myself in Japan working as a training partner to some K1 fighters. After retiring from competition, I helped train other fighters and have judged a few professional fights, so I consider myself to have a fair knowledge of fighting in general.

My boxing background forces me to watch fights on the league field differently from other fans. Regardless of which player I side with, it’s the fighting skill that interests me the most - and to be honest, most league players are not good fighters! Every NRL club has a component of boxing in their weekly training schedule and there are often professional boxing coaches leading these sessions. Yet when it comes to actually having a fight on the field, their guard is poor, their distance and stance are all wrong and they usually try to grab their opponent with one hand then punch him with the other, effectively neutralising one weapon. In some fights they even take turns punching each other as if there’s some rule where you can’t both punch at the same time resulting in a ‘your turn, my turn, your turn, my turn’ sort of scenario. There was a fight in the last State of Origin match in which both players would've thrown at least five punches each. I counted one that landed and that had no effect on the receiving party. These two fighters had each other by the scruff of the neck and still managed to miss nine punches! If that was translated into a tackle count, you’d have nine misses and one ineffective from ten tackles. A player would get dropped for those stats!

Don’t get me wrong - league players would destroy most ordinary men in a fight, and even other professional athletes largely due to their conditioning and sheer athleticism. The problem is their technique and composure in a league fight. Being already full of adrenalin from playing the game at pace, they tend to rush the fight, instinctively throwing looping punches which dramatically decreases their chances of connecting. The looping right hook is a punch that no self-respecting boxing trainer would teach anyone. It’s slower, easier to see coming, and will usually be too short. Subconsciously the players know this, which is why they tend to grab with the left to keep the opponent within punching range in order to give them a better chance of connecting. In theory, anyway. The problem is that grabbing with the left and punching with the right at the same time is uncoordinated so they will have to grab with the left first. A smart opponent will counter the left grab with a straight short right of his own.

The best example of this was Willie Mason’s punch on UK prop Stuart Fielden a few years ago. Fielden grabs Mason with his left hand but hesitates to punch and Mason catches him with a straight right without grabbing first, which shows good boxing training. Ten seconds later he faces off with Jamie Peacock and instinctively grabs Peacock with his left hand which Peacock copies. They trade punches and Peacock lands one that rocks Mason who is bowled over as other players rush in. Had Mason repeated with the quick right against Peacock or at least fought with both hands, there was a good chance that Peacock would've joined Fielden on the canvas.

I don’t yearn for a return of the biff but if it does come back into fashion, players should at least try to get better at it!

750 Words between the stars

Kid-Dynamite

Juniors
Kid-Dynamite attempts to make a mark bigger than Manu Vatuvei's footstep and places something on the table for the Mighty Warriors:

The Man Upstairs (733 words including the title)

The following scenario takes place in my living room at home, sitting in front of the telly. I'm sure many other fans can relate......

I have just witnessed a great rugby league try, or so I think. I can never tell with the video referee in the NRL these days. It looks like a try to me, the commentators think so, and if nothing else benefit of the doubt goes to the attacking team, right? Here comes the decision. “NO TRY” is displayed on the scoreboard in the red colour of denial. I may as well be in a maze because I’m lost.

I have some...what should I call it? I know, let’s call it constructive criticism for the CEO of the NRL, David Gallop.

Please, Mr. Gallop: it is time to get rid of the video referee, this man upstairs. Make him as dead as a doornail. Not literally of course, but too many times he is taking too long. Too many times he is getting it wrong and as a result, too many times games are being ruined by this man upstairs pushing buttons. Well Dave, he’s starting to push my buttons and I’m sick to death of it.

Don’t get me wrong - this isn’t a typical sports fan ranting about the referee, because it’s not the referee who I’m sick and tired of. It’s the glorified “so called” referee whose job is to sit on his backside and watch a game of footy for free and every now and then push a button. It doesn’t sound hard, right? I mean, Joe Bloggs could do it and yet the delay in the game as a result of a video ref coming to a decision is excruciatingly painful and boring. When they get it wrong on top of that, it’s rubbing salt into the wound.

I used to have the utmost respect for the referees. (The on field ones, that is.) But now, with the video ref there by their side, they have become complacent, lazy, and, like a scared rabbit, it seems as if they are afraid; afraid to make decisions of their own. Instead they send decisions, which everyone would be happy to be given as a try straight away, upstairs so the video ref can have a moment away from his luxury seating, in his presumably heated room. Best seat in the house, right on halfway, and actually do some work. It’s barbaric.

Like I said, though, my complaint is not with the on field referees. If we take away the video ref, the officials on the field are forced to make their own decisions, instilling a bit of courage back into the whistle blowers and that’s the way I want it. Remember the good old days of Bill Harrigan putting his body on the line? Sure, it wasn't in the same way as the gladiatorial like players, but just as courageous all the same. I want to go back to those days. I want the on field referees, with the assistance of the touch judges of course, to make all the decisions. Like the players they’ll make mistakes, sure - they’re not robots - and some will argue: "Do we want an NRL Grand Final to be decided by a refereeing blunder because he didn’t see a dropped ball?" or what have you. My response to that is this: the way we are going with the video refs, there is every chance of this happening anyway. I mean, we’ve already seen a game taken from the Bulldogs this season as a result of a video ref shocker. And that is not just my opinion, either; they admitted “we got it wrong”. So who’s to say this won’t happen in a Grand Final?

“He’ll go upstairs to check this one!” The commentator blurts. I awake from my thoughts and realise the video ref has been called upon again in the game I am currently watching. The T.V is showing replays and while I have my opinion on what the ruling should be, I reach for my pocket and grab a coin. Heads it’s a try, tails it’s no try. That’s about my only chance of getting the same decision as the man upstairs. Hell, I wouldn’t be surprised if his coin was mid flight as we speak.

C’mon, Dave. We don’t need him, so get rid of him!

griffo346

First Grade
Cougars team for the game

Start
griffo346
big pete
lockyno1
NKA
Dally Messenger

Bench
Matt23

Big Pete

Referee
Big Pete steams onto the ball and isn't afraid of anything in his way.

Dream Time for NRL

Rugby League has played host to a number of unique and wonderful cultures who have provided the game a fresh blend of distinct style and personalities. However in recent times, the National Rugby League hasn't effectively promoted these cultures and their significance to the game and instead of capitilising on their popularity have chosen to show very little initiative which in turn has kept general fan's in the dark. It wasn't until last year's New Zealand Maoris vs. Indigenous Dreamtime Team exhibition match at the Sydney Football Stadium when the administration noticed the potential of these games and finally enabled themselves to be persuaded into organising an annual fixture. Of course, the NRL administration didn't act quickly, in fact the proposal had to be made by Gold Coast Titans CEO Michael Searle who had been interested in the idea thanks to the involvement of Indigenous Dream Time captain Preston Campbell who had been proposing the idea for a number of seasons believing it would draw a lot of interest and have a significant benefit for not only Rugby League but the Indigenous community.

In truth, the Aboriginal community is still suffering from a number of problems that has effected them the colonisation of Australia and for some Rugby League is seen as a form of release and has in a number of way's benefited the community but the NRL can still do more. This is why the proposal for an annual All Stars vs. Dream Time team is a step in the right direction as not only will it raise awareness of the community but it'd also give the community a boost in pride, a sense of security in their identity and most of all a celebration of their talents and superstars. Secondly the fixture is arguably the most innovative contest since State of Origin and should produce the same kind of entertainment albeit in a much different spirit. For years Rugby League fans have had to endure the monotonous season schedule with very little in terms of innovation and excitement. This exhausted schedule hasn't only affected the interest of the general public but also the interest of the players who continue to migrate to either the Super League or Rugby Union in the wake of a new challenge. The truth is, innovation and variety is good for the game and a game of this magnitude is something the game has been longing for. The proposed version for this fixture reminds me of what Rugby League should be all about - sheer fun and entertainment. I mean at the end of the day Rugby League is a sport contested for the sole reason of entertainment and escapism so why shouldn't we find new modes to explore what our game has to offer? The game has grown far too professional with every club worried about the bottom line and the effects a couple of losses may have on it. This attitude has seen a number of teams adopt a very clinical style of play and very few teams embark on variety nor provide fan's with a level of consistent entertainment which makes it difficult to promote the game to new audiences. So what's makes this game so exciting?

Surely if you cast your mind back to the Indigenous Dream Time Team vs. New Zealand Maoris you'd recall how great that game was. The players threw everything at one another in attack and put on a number of big hits. Not only that but it also introduced fans to new and exciting prospects as well as remind fans of old favourites. Now combine the excitement of that team with the high profile list of the All-Star team and you have yourself one entertaining package. 16 of the best players from 16 different clubs and possibly one player from Papua New Guinea stirs a lot of excitement and should bring fans together during the off-season.

If the concept is deemed a success I believe it'll play a role in the make-up of every pre-season and unite both sets of fans like never before. Not only that I believe it'd encourage more creativity from the administration who would be looking for more innovation and changes to the season which I believe has some room for improvement, especially in City versus Country and the ANZAC Test Match. Ultimately I believe the Indigenous Dream Team vs. All-Stars concept is a fool proof plan that can only provide a positive outcome for all parties involved.

749 Words

lockyno1

Post Whore
Lockyno1 onto the field for the Cougars...

Bringing Sexy Back…

As we cast our eyes back into history with Tina Turner and the “Simply the Best” advertising campaign, it comes to my attention that the game has changed for the worse in that regard. Is it time to bring “sexy” back into the game of rugby league?

As we enter the 21st Century, where the advertising dollar is an essential component of a healthy game, it is essential to make the game sexy. The best and most appropriate way of achieving this is through a series of advertising campaigns that cater for the wide diversity of fans, both men and women. These campaigns can be directly aimed to increase both the viewing and attending audiences. Some money spent on increasing attendances will benefit the game in the long run, especially as the new television deal is about to be negotiated. These advertising campaigns will be essential in the future as it will allow a whole range of news fans to become excited about the game of rugby league and thus will get news fans consistently talking about the great game we all love.

The use of provocative slogans could also be used to identify the game. With consultation from members of both sexes these can be put into the commercials. These slogans will make people aware of the game. In the 1990’s everyone knew the slogan “Simply the Best”….nowadays what on earth is the slogan? I’m a fan and I hardly know the slogan for the game. It is an essential part of branding the game in such a way where neutral fans will want to either watch or attend a game of rugby league on their own accord. If we continue to not use a sellable slogan, we will continue to have poor attendances in comparison with other sports. This will be a crucial factor in trying to bring sexy back into rugby league.

Another way that the sexiness can be increased would be to increase the product. There is nothing stopping clubs from having a mini concert before each match. This would increase both the television audience and would definitely increase the crowds at the game. The NRL could also expand on the cheerleaders who could have a large role in the future before, during and at half time. The more dancing routines the better as it would allow rugby league to not just be a game, but it would be a spectacle.

A subsequent way to increase the NRL’s sexiness is to increase the role of press conferences. There is nothing wrong with trying to promote rugby league like nothing before. The press conferences are usually rather stale, and with that in mind to increase the volume within these press conferences would be a positive. Make these conferences like a boxing bout and that would increase the ratings for these conferences, and thus would make people aware of rugby league as a healthy sport within its boundaries. By making the conferences interesting, it would allow rugby league to enter the front pages of the newspapers more than in its current state.

The final way that the NRL could improve the sexiness of the game is to change the outfits so that the players wear more recognisable colours that appeal to a wider range of fans. The only way this is possible is through consultation with the fan base at the various clubs. Clubs will have to be the major player in this process, as they will have to be open for any changes to their apparel. This said, it is important that if changing the jerseys will increase the fan base, there should be absolutely no hesitation from the clubs to begin that process.

Therefore, it can be said that the game of rugby league in its current state is rather stale. Improvements need to be made to improve the overall product of the game and thus improve the sexiness of the game in the process. Having a higher quality and recognisable advertising campaign is paramount in achieving this long-term. The re-introducing of a slogan to identify the game for neutrals is essential in bringing more fans through the gates, which in turn will increase attendances in the process. The NRL needs to seriously look at expanding the product both at the games and at press conferences. If there are improvements in these key areas, there is nothing to suggest that in the future sexy cannot be brought back into rugby league.

748 words

griffo346

First Grade
griffo346 runs onto the field for the cougars

The trek back to the real world
So it had began I left Adelaide for many reasons as they are personal it wont be listed however the main thing I was happy about is heading back to the east coast to watch some real footy.

So it was Tuesday my family and friends come down to pick me up with my belongings for the 14 hour trek back this was extremely long drive but all I could focus on was getting there safe and that I didn’t have to live in Adelaide anymore and watching what I had to watch in the last three years and that is what the east coasters call aerial ping pong.

Although I admit I didn’t mind watching that stupid game I would admit I became a supporter of it as it was my only means of footy.

Born on the east coast I had became in love with our game so it hurt me with the lack of coverage down there as I never had Foxtel and never went to pubs to watch the game due to other commitments.

So when I was on my way back to Sydney I ended up messaging a mate saying look I will be back in town and I was keen as mustard to get to a game as it had been a month since I went to the game in Adelaide and as most people know the game wasn’t of the best standard of football.

The game was the Cronulla Sharks playing a home game at Hindmarsh verses the North Queensland Cowboys the game was anticipated pretty well with decent adverting by the media and the South Australian Rugby League, considering the place where this game is being played the ground is in decent condition for a rectangle field, however would it have been better to schedule this game at the Adelaide Oval? Main reason for transport accessibility if I was setting up the proposal for the game to the Cronulla Sharks I would of suggested that this would be the venue.

The crowd figure was not that bad considering the crowd was a better figure then the Sharks could properly have gotten at Toyota Park.

However I now live on the east coast and now back into the routine I used to be in before going to the dark side of footy the games I have been to since being back are the Tigers verse the Panthers at Leichardt Oval on a Friday Night and the Pink Panthers verse the Manly Sea Eagles this one was at Credit Union Australia Stadium Penrith, the Panthers losing one and winning one game the game I attended between the Panthers and the Tigers was the win and as I enjoyed that win I came crashing back to earth the following game I went to when I saw the Panthers dressed in Pink get humbled by the Silvertails from the Northern Beaches.

Now having access to Austar (Foxtel equivalent) I have been watching more NRL shows and more NRL action and also getting into the Toyota Cup now I can watch it I will be keen as mustard to see especially how the Mighty Panthers go for the rest of the season in both grades and I will be certain to get out to more games in the remainder of the season as the Panthers look to embark on there first top eight since the 2004 season where they made the Preliminary Finals only to be beaten by the eventual grand final winners the Bulldogs.

The feeling in my body is although we have suffered injury after injury this Matty Elliott coached side will get the job done for this season on the back of a workload from Petro himself and the State of Origin players Luke Lewis and Michael Jennings and with the return of players from injury im quite confident that we will have a assault on this years top 8 who knows maybe a top 4 finish is likely if we continue to win without our stars and results go our way for the back end of the season for when we get our injured players back.

ALL I SAY IS GO YOU PANTHERS

PANTHER POWER FOR LIFE

711 words including the Title

Last edited:

griffo346

First Grade
griffo346 posting proxie for Dally Messenger

The Media are killing the game of Rugby League.

The various media outlets in this country are one way or another destroying the game of rugby league. The hysterical and biased coverage of off field incidents has yet again taken the focus off the on the field action and the game to the brink of possible destruction and a spot where other football codes in Australia could take advantage of, it’s not a position our great game deserves to be in today.

Unlike rugby league other codes like the Australian Football League (AFL) deal with the matters caused in the public by footballers differently through other means of communication hence the games problems are often not aired in the media unless they are pretty bad. Take the Sharks 2002 gang rape if this happened in the AFL circles this would have been dealt with behind closed doors and the appreciate media channels and not based on hear say as they would of set up media conferences.

Rugby league’s popularity in Australia came about through hard work, many risks and a love of the game by the peoples of Sydney, country NSW and Queensland. This popularity manifests itself in being the number 1 game in terms of TV viewers each year, including 4 of the most watched TV programs every year, a feat no other sport can match.

The game should be basking in the success of Origin, a healthy international program and a strong club competition yet it doesn’t. The game as a whole gets half in TV contract monies than the rival AFL code, despite rugby league providing many more viewers. This has allowed AFL an aggressive expansion into NSW and Queensland whilst rugby leagues expansion has been held back, traditional clubs have a lack of funds and players are lost to union because there isn’t enough revenue.

Even worse than this is the hypocritical and biased coverage of off field incidents by the media compared to other rival codes? The most recent example of this is the way Mathew Johns has been vilified and forced out of the game. I as a supporter and a great lover of the game have been disgusted with the media coverage of this event. Johns was investigated by the police before and found to have no charges to answer. The girl involved was a voluntary participant at the time, but now seems to regret the incident and wants to make amends by destroying a man for something she was happy for 7 years ago this I don’t understand why would she do it? Was she looking for some sort of compensation? Or was she just looking to destroy John’s life? I don’t know, in fact we will probably never going to find out.

The suffering of Johns and his family has been a disgrace given the circumstances involved. Because he is high profile he has been attacked by the media. The girl that has made these allegations has kept her anonymity and not faced rigorous questioning as to why she thought sleeping with multiple players was a good thing at the time.

Players like Mark Gasnier and Sonny Bill Williams were hounded out of the game with the media similarly hostile to off field indiscretions. Craig Gower had a similar indiscretion a number of years ago with the daughter of Wayne Pearce, why isn’t this being re-investigated. Is he being stood down from his job?

As long as fans accept this double standard the code will always be a second class citizen to rival sports in Australia, and never receive its potential. Its up to fans of the game to rally behind the sport and demand it gets a fairer treatment otherwise we will continue to be marginalized.

We should be proud of what the game has achieved in Australia. As a rugby league fan we shouldn’t be made to feel embarrassed. The media are applying a double standard which isn’t applied to other sports. As a rugby league fan im disgusted with the media, if anything, it’s made me more proud to be a rugby league fan.
686 words including title

Jesbass

First Grade
Good move, bartman. I was thinking of doing it myself, but didn't want to step on toes. (I also thought I might have my time zones wrong!)

A great rally by the Cougars, but one article short. Still, it's anyone's game.

Good luck to all involved.

Over to you, ref.

bartman

Immortal
I wasn't writing this round so I thought it would be OK, before people start asking "where are the clocks" :lol:.

Good luck to all. Courageous stuff from the Cougars going in with just 6 available names, great spirit... hang in there guys.

Pistol

Coach
It would appear that a certain gun marker is ref for this game

what say we deliver the result some time later today after the SSSS

Pistol

Coach
Warriors

Jesbass with Moniker Mockery = 84

Painting Shakespeare as a League supporter. I like the idea but I feel the article was lacking in substance to support that fact. A good effort though

Rayroxon with Coping With Loss = 88

I liked this one. Had good structure and a good feel to it.

Antonius Jack In The Box = 86

The work colleague certainly was thinking outside the box, but as you pointed out, that dog won’t hunt. This piece had good solid views and were well presented.

Bay Vikings with The Biff = 86

A good technical insight into the fights on the field.

Kid Dynamite with The Man Upstairs = 87

“Na na na na, na na na na…. Hey ay ay, goodbye.” See ya later video ref. Well written.

Cougars

Big Pete with Dream Time for NRL = 82 – 2 points for going over the limit - 80

Had the makings of a great article. Big clumps of writing made it harder to read, some bits could have been fragmented into separate paragraphs which would have made it flow better.

Lockyno1 with Bring Sexy Back = 84

I agree to a certain extent. Let’s sex up the game a bit more. But extending press conferences and adding more of them certainly doesn’t stoke my fire. I am sure the appeal of a boxing bout between players has appeal but I am quite certain that the coach wouldn’t enjoy it if his star player got a concussion BEFORE he goes onto the field. The article had its moments and it had a good structure but lacked punch.

Griffo346 with The trek back to the real world = 50

This article seemed very rushed. Full stops were missing and the grammar needs work. I saw a decent effort here and with the correct grooming, the writer's articles would polish up nicely. More time to edit, so you can maximise your marks for your solid efforts.

Dallymessenger with The Media are killing the game of Rugby League. = 77

Great idea but the execution wasn’t 100% successful. Elongated sentences could have been broken up to make 3 points of argument instead of being mashed into 1 long one. General grammar was lacking as well but the effort was top notch

Warriors defeat Cougars
431 – 291

POTM

rayroxon