What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 V Souths

Kilkenny

Coach
You can argue about whose offside, who slows down the play the the ball but there were probably 5 massive calls at critical points in the contest and they all went against us. It can’t be a mere coincidence that Ashley Klein screws us over time and time again. The Two penalties that really upset me were the JFH double movement and the Sam Burgess crusher tackle one while we are attacking and one one the 1st tackle one metre out from the South’s line. Both wrong calls and massive get out of jail free cards.

You can say we had other opportunities and we did no doubt about that but the big calls were huge and it’s hard when they go against you like they did tonight. Very hard to stomach.

tripster

Juniors
In 55 years watching this game I have never seen nor heard of a double movement penalty where the ball did not even reach the line. It reminded me of the Luke Lewis one in the '16 GF. He thought about it but didn't. Don't even know if JFH thought of it.

Other thoughts- Aekins did well and was starting to bob up in the backline in the second half.
Tamou made over 200 metres but I so wish he would wind up on his runs, he could be so damaging.
The halves are slowly starting to find some form.
Egan was very good. Katoa too in his little cameo before half time but not so much at the end.
Kikau was a beast, despite plenty of attention. Waqa was good too but they never really combined. The Rabbitohs coach worked this out.
Mansour was OK but a couple of bad mistakes. Try went begging when he overran Blake.
MWZ isn't any better than Edwards on the wing. Didn't do anything wrong but his biggest contribution was hit ups.

And speaking of the Rabbitohs coach, before he whinges about players laying on the tackled player, he should take a look at the very last tackle in the first half. That really should have been 10 in the bin and if it was one of our blokes it would have been.

Completely agree.

age.s

First Grade
Those are just the ones that I can clearly remember, but I am sure there were others.

The worst one was the knock on prior to their final try. Clear knock on prior to Mansour's knock on. Souths play on and score on the literal next play.

age.s

First Grade
Tamou made over 200 metres but I so wish he would wind up on his runs, he could be so damaging.

Heh. This is like every fan watching Tamou ever.

He's got the frame to be an absolute brute of a player. Instead he's just an above average workhorse.

mxlegend99

Referee
54% possession. 400 more running metres... Yet people blame the refs. All on Ivan and those 17 pretenders in jersey's
Yeah those penalties for offences that didn't happen had no bearing on the result. Ofcourse the f**kwit who started the Ivan is a dud thread would blame him.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah those penalties for offences that didn't happen had no bearing on the result. Ofcourse the f**kwit who started the Ivan is a dud thread would blame him.

The penalties were 8-6 hardly a caning.

I just watching the mini game. 60 % territory and there was a barge over try. Try off a kick and one off an offload.

So tell me what of that was good coaching?

forby

Juniors
How did they get the ball done there? Certainly wasn’t gifted by penalties. So there must of been some coaching to do that.

Kilkenny

Coach
The JFH double movement call was early in the tackle count and they were out on there feet. Play on which it should have been who knows whether we score or not but it was a huge call. The crusher was even worse I just watched the replay and I was pissed off at the game but even more so now. In a game where momentum is everything to have it taken away from you in these two calls is really really hard to cop.

age.s

First Grade
The penalties were 8-6 hardly a caning.

I just watching the mini game. 60 % territory and there was a barge over try. Try off a kick and one off an offload.

So tell me what of that was good coaching?

The Kikau try came from us isolating Reynolds against him. This happened 4 or 5 times throughout the game and a combination of Reynolds doing well and their right edge scrambling really well was the only reason he didn't have a hat trick.

age.s

First Grade
Anyway I don't think anyone is suggesting we're the finished article. Just that we came within a bees proverbial of beating a premiership contender despite a shit referee, some poor luck and plenty of room for improvement.

People are excited because for the first time we actually saw the pieces there. I don't think that's unreasonable.

franklin2323

Immortal
The Kikau try came from us isolating Reynolds against him. This happened 4 or 5 times throughout the game and a combination of Reynolds doing well and their right edge scrambling really well was the only reason he didn't have a hat trick.

Isolating Reynolds? He dragged 3 over the try line

franklin2323

Immortal
The JFH double movement call was early in the tackle count and they were out on there feet. Play on which it should have been who knows whether we score or not but it was a huge call. The crusher was even worse I just watched the replay and I was pissed off at the game but even more so now. In a game where momentum is everything to have it taken away from you in these two calls is really really hard to cop.

The thing with that is could you see the ball? I think if it goes upstairs as no try it stays no try

franklin2323

Immortal
Anyway I don't think anyone is suggesting we're the finished article. Just that we came within a bees proverbial of beating a premiership contender despite a shit referee, some poor luck and plenty of room for improvement.

People are excited because for the first time we actually saw the pieces there. I don't think that's unreasonable.

No injuries and round 7 the pieces should be there

franklin2323

Immortal
How did they get the ball done there? Certainly wasn’t gifted by penalties. So there must of been some coaching to do that.

Lets see Souffs 13 errors.
3 sets in a row.

We were fortunate to get 6 again a few times.

Maloney on the halfway line puts a nothing kick hits the wingers knee. Lands with Mansour.

Another time Blake with a dumb offload. Reynolds knocks on trying to pick it up.

mxlegend99

Referee
Lets see Souffs 13 errors.
3 sets in a row.

We were fortunate to get 6 again a few times.

Maloney on the halfway line puts a nothing kick hits the wingers knee. Lands with Mansour.

Another time Blake with a dumb offload. Reynolds knocks on trying to pick it up.
Are you a Souths fan or what? You watched a different game to everyone else.

Kilkenny

Coach
The thing with that is could you see the ball? I think if it goes upstairs as no try it stays no try

No one is saying it was a try.

He was short of the line second tackle play on we had tackles up our sleeve to try and score.

Again this decision highlights the Ashley Klein mindset when he officiates our games.

Any other official if they did think JFH May have got the ball to the line would have erred on the side of caution and went to the bunker. Had he done so in my opinion, no try obviously but we retain possession play on.

Same with the South’s second try I have no doubt almost all others officials would have sent that upstairs even allowing for the fact they can’t rule on a forward pass. Watching it live Klein couldn’t award it quick enough he was so excited.

Latest posts