What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 v Eels

Villiame Kikau and James Fisher Harris dropped out of the 21 man squad.

Bryce Cartwright is listed to replace JFH... so as expected it looks like the exact same 17 aside from an injury for this week. Hiku, Browne and Leota will stay while Akauolo and CHN get dropped tomorrow.

I hate losing. But Hook doesnt deserve to coach a winning team. Hes a terrible coach and has no vision.

He seems to like changing the bench every week so I am still hopeful we will see Akauola make the 17. Even still, all I would like is for Griffin to come out and prove why Hiku on the bench is a good move.

Copperhead

Juniors
Villiame Kikau and James Fisher Harris dropped out of the 21 man squad.

Bryce Cartwright is listed to replace JFH... so as expected it looks like the exact same 17 aside from an injury for this week. Hiku, Browne and Leota will stay while Akauolo and CHN get dropped tomorrow.

I hate losing. But Hook doesnt deserve to coach a winning team. Hes a terrible coach and has no vision.

Wow. What's Kikau done to piss off Griffin. He's just replaced one unfit player returning from injury with another.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Yeah, I don't get the Kikau thing at all. Bizarre handling of a young player who actually made an impact in his first couple of showings AND who just recently resigned. Lump him in with CHN and obsession with carrying a back on the bench when our squad has numerous players who can play multiple positions...

ACTPanthers

Bench
Don't get me wrong, it's good to see Carty back, but you'd be silly to think he'd have much of an impact given he hasn't played in a while - He'll probably start slow

Agreed reference Kikau - He is brilliant off the bench with a lot of impact

kinghippo

Juniors
So kikau akaoula and CHN will again spend 0 minutes on the field this weekend.
How the f**k does that help anything?

Wacko's Whispers on Fox Sports Late Mail reporting that CHN will start, Cartwright will start 5/8th and TMM will go to the bench (surely for Hiku but Griffin loves him so probably not)

kinghippo

Juniors
I read on nrl website CHN and akaoula were to drop out in their updated team list.
Whackos whispers is more reliable though, hadn't heard any mention of TMM injury until now.

TMM is in doubt

So watch us play Carty at 5/8 instead of a proper 5/8 in Moylan. We can't dare disturb our precious line up..

And yes, I'm not going to stop flogging this :horse: :horse::horse::horse:

mxlegend99

Referee
FFS. If Cartwright starts at 5/8th we are stuck with Moylan at fullback and TMM will never see first grade again under Griffin unless Cartwright is injured. We desperately need a coach who can see that Moylan, TMM and Cleary do not all work in the halves together.

I think our squad should be broken down like this:

Fullback - Edwards, DWZ, Moylan

Wingers - Mansour, DWZ, Edwards, Blake, Hiku MKZ

Centres - Blake, Whare, Peachey, Hiku

5/8th - Moylan, TMM, Cartwright

Half - Cleary, TMM, Wallace

Hooker - Wallace, TMM, Peachey, Katoa (a lot of learning and hard work is required for TMM and Peachey, but probably less than Katoa becoming an NRL hooker)

Prop - RCG, Tamou, Latu, Akauolo, Kikau, Leota, Browne

Second Row/Lock - Merrin, Cartwright, Yeo, JFH, CHN, Peachey

Utilities: TMM, Peachey, CHN

Bench:
2x props
1x second rower
1x utility or another forward

TMM at the moment has only ever been viewed as a half. But something needs to change with Moylan and TMM. Moylan at fullback is only effective in a 5/8th role. That means we have both Moylan and TMM sharing the same role essentially and it is holding both players and the team back

These guys clash and I only see a long term success for us if we get rid of one of them completely, or if we attempt to move TMM to hooker/utility and have him offer something else to the team. Moylan at fullback is not a good option IMO... many fans have believed that for a long time but it seems like every week more of them are coming around. Everyone except the coach has viewed his future as a half.

Moylan seems to be getting worse in his fullback duties each week if you judged him on this year alone he wouldn't really rate too highly at all. Barely above Will Smith. I say that as a massive fan of Matt Moylan. I think at half he could become the best playmaker in the game within 2 years. Especially considering the only players better than him now are likely to be retired.

At fullback though he is always going to have a bunch of areas he doesn't stack up in and the second we have an injured winger or two we will again be reminded just how much we are missing in not having a stronger ball runner at the back. Mansour and DWZ helped hide that flaw in his game, remove even one of them and you see just what we are missing.

Hiku? Browne? Leota?

All not named in NSW Cup. CHN returning looks like Bryce will move to 5/8th with TMM either out with the neck injury or put on the bench with one of Hiku, Browne and Leota to drop off I am guessing. The first option looks the more likely one.

Look, I'm sorry but I'm within a bloody whisker of hoping we lose today.

The more we lose the sooner Griffin is gone. A win against a pretty ordinary team will only paper over the cracks.

Convinced we can't get this squad winning consistently with a selection muppet like Griffin.

mxlegend99

Referee
So TMM will be the last to drop our most likely. If no one is playing reserve grade it would have to be an injury to the last player.

Why would Griffin want to make any unforced changes to a team that scored no tries at all and got torn apart in the forwards?

Im over this shit. Seriously. Griffin is ruining our team and I am sick of it.

abpanther

Staff member
I'm kinda excited to see Carty back at 5/8, I know it's not the long term solution but it certainly worked well last season and this team certainly needs some sort of spark

Last edited:

Latest posts