What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs. Souths @Accor

Chins get the wins

First Grade
So sets up a try, scores a try off a pretty good dummy, kick to corners all game, defends pretty solid, probably a lot better than Nath was last week, in a corridor that gets a lot of attacking forwards attention.... but yeah he was shit coz..
His inability to target Cook at fullback is a bit of a worry. Also needs to back himself to throw the big pass. Could see him holding back a few times

Kilkenny

Coach
Has everyone forgotten that the team had a short turn around made worse by travelling to and from Nth Qld? Anyone would thought we lost. As to some of the legups that the ref gave Souffs - they were not releasing our players after several calls from the ref but who got all the repeated 6 agains?
There is this generational sense of entitlement about some of our supporters or fans.

The more rational, those who have endured the lesser times or bad years, are more accepting of performances that may not be perfect week in week out.

I we t to a show at the Comedy Festival tonight, so by the time I got in the car to drive home it was already 12 all. Listened to the call on SEN on the drive home which was horrendous, they seriously just need to call the game and cut out the rest of the rubbish. Saw the last 25 minutes when obviously the game was well and truly over.

Mission accomplished, two points, far from perfect it would seem but we should be in a better position for our home game against the Dogs.

maple_69

Bench
Well I’ll take the points in a game that we really could have blown similar to Tigers last year, however we are certainly no closer to hitting our stride.

Tago will likely get 3-4 given Gray ended up with a syndesmosis and the judiciary is making calls based on outcomes these days. Great outcome for the team really. I wouldn’t mind a look at May and To’o on the right to shore up our right edge defence with Alamoti and Tito on the left. Nice to see the flashes of brilliance from Tito, we definitely need to get him more involved, perhaps switching into the fullback/centre roles in attack at times.

Edwards has taken another step. He’s not the prettiest to watch but so effective. The run from the in goal and the quick 20m tap for the May try are great examples of how well he sees the game. He looks to be aging like a good half, just gets better and craftier with experience. He and Yeo are really keeping this side afloat right now.

Martin needs a few weeks to get his shoulder right. Mav looks incredibly average. Hopefully Sorro is good to go soon. I wouldn’t mind seeing what Smith and Henry can do starting, Fish and Leota could both benefit from being nursed back.

I’d run this for the next couple and just look to get back to tight defence, complete sets, good discipline, run hard tackle hard and start to build into the season.

Edwards, Turuva, Alamoti, May, To’o, Luai, Cleary, Henry, Kenny, Smith, Sorenson, Garner, Yeo, Sommerton, Fish, Leota, Riki

betcats

Referee
Schneider is solid but his ball playing and short aerial kicking is not good. Nice grubber on him though.

Luai had a good game but Its the type of game he should be stepping up a lot more, struggling opposition, injury affected throughout the game, no cleary.

Tago will get some time off probably but I think that was just unluckly nothing intentional. The criticism of him is way over the top imo. He started the year in excellent form. Since the roosters game the whole teams form has gone backwards.

Fish Martin Moses still not at their best. Garners been ok. Kenny has been solid but still not at his best either, giving away to many penalties.

It’s going just like it did last year except we are winning a bit more early games. Just need to get through to post origin and find our best form then.

WestyLife

First Grade
Turns out chins was right Tago needs to be dropped 100% but will get at least two weeks for the hip drop. His defence is getting worse.

If Edwards doesn't get picked for nsw they deserve to get smashed.

Yeo is headed towards best forward of all time catagory not just panther forward along side some of the best.

Black Panther

Juniors
Bad discipline cost us plenty of resets and penalties. The biggest concern for me was that Schneider and Luia didn’t target Chee Kam in the Centres from the start, nor did they pepper Cook with bombs when he went to Fullback.

Thats the sort of game management Cleary brings to the team, target opponents weakness. Sure they are not playing that well at the moment, but winning is sure better than losing.

soc123_au

Staff member
That was a tough watch. The end score looks decent, but against a team with Cook at the back, Che Cam and Murray as centres it should have been much more.

Happy to get the points obviously, but we need to be better than that. Yeo & Dyl are on another level, but the rest not so much. Some nice moments from others, Turuva at the back end showing why he will end up as a fullback, May's awareness to see what Dyl was doing and Kenny with some belting tackles.

Tago must have read a bit in here and decided he would make it obvious @Chins get the wins does know a bit about footy. It's been there since the pec injury, but last night underlined it and colored it in with a fluro pink highlighter. Not sure what is wrong there, but it needs fixing. I have no doubt it will be, but something needs to be done quickly. The hip drop was just one of those things, so no blame for that, but a week or two might not be such a bad thing long term.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Turns out chins was right Tago needs to be dropped 100% but will get at least two weeks for the hip drop. His defence is getting worse.

If Edwards doesn't get picked for nsw they deserve to get smashed.

Yeo is headed towards best forward of all time catagory not just panther forward along side some of the best.
I think Tago should go back to the left and partner May who should be on wing. Alamoti right centre with To'o who might see the ball again.
Hopefully that fixes those issues.

Up front is the main concern. They look flat and there isn't any impact of the bench. I'm not sure if Lisati is ready, I haven't seen any NSW cup this season. But Geyer can only do so much and I pray he gets better.

Our attack is wasted, nothing doing in the beginning of games. It feels like they just hit brick walls and waste all that energy.

Next season going to be interesting

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Smith is going well enough for a young prop but the talk that he might replace Yeo at 13 seems off to me. For someone who's passing game has been talked up he looks so unnatural passing the ball

Hooked

Juniors
Has everyone forgotten that the team had a short turn around made worse by travelling to and from Nth Qld? Anyone would thought we lost. As to some of the legups that the ref gave Souffs - they were not releasing our players after several calls from the ref but who got all the repeated 6 agains?

We couldn't fly out of Townsville till Sunday night.
Direct Flights can be tricky to get out of there. This has been an issue in the past for visiting teams. The braindead NRL should have known that,and not scheduled a 5-day turnaround for any away teams the following week.

We were fortunate Souffs were garbage and lost the 2nd-string Fullback & Halfback by halftime.

Genuinely don’t think they gave up. They just ran out of gas. Losing your starting 7 and 1 in addition to their current injuries would sink any team.
The NRL is a club game, not a let's get a half a dozen really good players then cross our fingers and hope it all goes well.

The Panthers have consistently shown that good depth, in the key positions, is the key to success.

We draw the line in the sand and tell a player this is your worth in our system, hence why so many leave for the payday.

Souffs on the other hand have lost their way with the need to have so called superstars to make it happen. Injury and suspension to a few and it's curtains. Even when their on the field the egos take over and discipline goes out the window.

No excuses for a club with the same salary cap as every other club.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Did anyone notice when Tago came back from the bin he was standing too close to the middle like in no man's land? They were all so congested!

Iamback

Coach
The NRL is a club game, not a let's get a half a dozen really good players then cross our fingers and hope it all goes well.

The Panthers have consistently shown that good depth, in the key positions, is the key to success.

We draw the line in the sand and tell a player this is your worth in our system, hence why so many leave for the payday.

Souffs on the other hand have lost their way with the need to have so called superstars to make it happen. Injury and suspension to a few and it's curtains. Even when their on the field the egos take over and discipline goes out the window.

No excuses for a club with the same salary cap as every other club.

It isn't the lack of depth as such.

4 man bench. Was down to 2 man rotation to cover a fullback and halfback getting injured.

Jai Arrow played 70mins that takes it out of a middle

It isn't the lack of depth as such.

4 man bench. Was down to 2 man rotation to cover a fullback and halfback getting injured.

Jai Arrow played 70mins that takes it out of a middle
My point exactly.

Jai Arrow WAS a good player in the past, they started the game with Chee Cam in the centres, a halfback that is a perennial second grader and a work in progress fullback because that's all they have.

Their salary cap is so bent out of shape because they have to have the shiny toys, it's farcical.

Gimme Penriths average game over poor opponents everyday, because I know we can improve but the Bunnies have no hope.

Iamback

Coach
My point exactly.

Jai Arrow WAS a good player in the past, they started the game with Chee Cam in the centres, a halfback that is a perennial second grader and a work in progress fullback because that's all they have.

Their salary cap is so bent out of shape because they have to have the shiny toys, it's farcical.

Gimme Penriths average game over poor opponents everyday, because I know we can improve but the Bunnies have no hope.

You say their roster is average.

We were behind 12-0

When their halfback went off it was 12all

18-12 when their fullback went off.

So there is no guarantee we win IF those guys don't go off. That is what those of us critical of the side are looking at

betcats

Referee
Think we were always going over the top of them. Score line flattered us but the Taylan may try shows where they are at attitude and fitness wise.

Anyway we’re not playing well, nowhere near our best since the roosters game but we are picking up wins, tbh I see plenty of positives in that. Key players missing most weeks, well below our best most weeks and have only dropped two games.

You say their roster is average.

We were behind 12-0

When their halfback went off it was 12all

18-12 when their fullback went off.

So there is no guarantee we win IF those guys don't go off. That is what those of us critical of the side are looking at
You play the side in front of you.

Injuries always happen and perceived mismatches evolve in games all the time.

We, on the other hand, IMHO, did not play anywhere near what we fans know what they do and in reality were below par.

But we scored 7 tries against a club who twelve months ago were leading the competition.

We can improve, Souths are a club in turmoil.

Latest posts