What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs. Souths @Accor

betcats

Referee
The World Cup was pretty impressive to be fair.
It's just over the last 3 years he's never really grabbed a game by the balls when Nath is out.

yeah but I thinks that’s been the plan to an extent. For me it’s also about Laurie as well. I think he’s better than schnitzel

MugaB

Coach
For Samoa showed more than Schneider has
Mate, your talking a samoan rep side with stars all around you, up against some other sides that are very cobbled together last minute, except for the kangaroos, who ended up beating them, I have no doubt Luai will be a great 7, but not better than someone who is actually ONLY doing that week in and week out either in nsw cup or 1st grade, schnieder might not be Nathan, but he defends better than the other two guys you think are ahead of him (laurie and cole) he is also a bigger body, and out and out halfback, Nathan is the best player in the game at the moment, but he is a learnt halfback, just like Cooper Cronk was, Luai was halfback in the jnrs, clez was 5/8th
They've only switched coz Penrith needed them asap and Nathan was the bigger body at the time, this is what Gould had said on his podcasts,
I do believe luai will help tigers become a force, as long as api and bula is there, he'll they could even get turuva into 5/8th the way he was playing in that last 10 mins... but that new kid is their future

For Samoa showed more than Schneider has
Luai is also 5 years older than Schneider and wants to be Jerome Luai while younger Brad Schneider has said he wants to learn from and be like Nathan Cleary.

This could well be why the club has signed him straight up for 2 years, unlike our previous 2 backup halves.

Time will tell but I reckon we at Panthers have the cream of the crop when it comes to backup halves.

Frankus

Juniors
Mate, your talking a samoan rep side with stars all around you, up against some other sides that are very cobbled together last minute, except for the kangaroos, who ended up beating them, I have no doubt Luai will be a great 7, but not better than someone who is actually ONLY doing that week in and week out either in nsw cup or 1st grade, schnieder might not be Nathan, but he defends better than the other two guys you think are ahead of him (laurie and cole) he is also a bigger body, and out and out halfback, Nathan is the best player in the game at the moment, but he is a learnt halfback, just like Cooper Cronk was, Luai was halfback in the jnrs, clez was 5/8th
They've only switched coz Penrith needed them asap and Nathan was the bigger body at the time, this is what Gould had said on his podcasts,
I do believe luai will help tigers become a force, as long as api and bula is there, he'll they could even get turuva into 5/8th the way he was playing in that last 10 mins... but that new kid is their future
Cooper Cronk played centre and fly half in Rugby Union. When he transition and played League with Norths Devils in the QLD Cup he was playing centre also. He was at that time I think the fastest player at the storm over 40m. Had laser accurate passes and could kick but it didn’t seem to come naturally. He ran a great line and hit holes well as a ball runner. Cole from the limited amount I have seen is more like Cronk at the earlier stages of his career. Could be a great 14 which is where Cronk started out - coming off the bench and plugging gaps or providing impact when the big boppers got tired. I feel Laurie could do that equally as well too but he is a smaller body than Cole who will put on another 5 kg with another off season.

Schneider seems to have natural ball playing ability and has the added ability of taking on the line when he sees the opportunity. As it stands he is the logical choice to replace Luai next season in my opinion.

The beauty of this is we have multiple solid options which is fantastic.

betcats

Referee
Havent seen any of Schneiders natural ball playing ability, all of his ball playing against souths was terrible. Anyway im not bagging him i just dont think he is as solid at this point as cogger was last year. Outside of his grubbers which are top notch his kicking game is well below coggers.

And I think Laurie(who actually does have natural ball playing) is a better player. Kicking game is as good or better, hes a more dangerous runner and ball player. Yeah defensively he might not as good as Brad but everywhere else he is better imo. Im really keen to see 7. luai 6. Luarie next time Clearys out. Unlikely to happen but that is just what id like to see.

Girds89

Bench
Havent seen any of Schneiders natural ball playing ability, all of his ball playing against souths was terrible. Anyway im not bagging him i just dont think he is as solid at this point as cogger was last year. Outside of his grubbers which are top notch his kicking game is well below coggers.

And I think Laurie(who actually does have natural ball playing) is a better player. Kicking game is as good or better, hes a more dangerous runner and ball player. Yeah defensively he might not as good as Brad but everywhere else he is better imo. Im really keen to see 7. luai 6. Luarie next time Clearys out. Unlikely to happen but that is just what id like to see.

Yeah it wont happen but id be keen for that.

Laurie needs a chance to show us what hes got in the 6.

betcats

Referee

There are stars all through this penrith side and we just played against a basically cobbled together souths side who are unfit and have a shit attitude. At this point in his career Luai should be able to step into Nathans role and do it well enough. He was a halfback as you've said, and Gould has said recently he will make a very good halfback at the tigers.

No one is expecting Brad to be Cleary but at this point i dont think he is even going as well as Cogger did for us last year. Added to that previous years we didnt have anyone who could step into the 6 role, this year we have Laurie who can do that, Laurie is more experienced, carves up in cup everytime he plays there this year, hattrick on thursday being his lastest game in cup. Also brings some extra speed for us, he is probably faster than all our outside backs.

MugaB

Coach

From playing with Robins last year

MugaB

Coach
Yeah it wont happen but id be keen for that.

Laurie needs a chance to show us what hes got in the 6.
Dude he can't even get on for 5 mins, I wanted him to be our 14 but there's obviously something he isn't doing for Ivan to trust him out there

Girds89

Bench
By all accounts laurie was head and shoulders best on ground in cup on Thursday. Scored 3 tries, couple of good ones too apparently.

He will get his chance at some point and im sure he will own it.

The Realist

Juniors
In the coming weeks they play Storm, easts, and us on Origin Selection eve. Followed by Parra in Parra and Broncs. No byes till late June. Might not be top of table come July.

Sharks have been kissed on the D with the draw. So many easy games then they get us during the origin period. NRL desperate to have one of their pin up boys (Hynes) get up.

The Realist

Juniors
The World Cup was pretty impressive to be fair.
It's just over the last 3 years he's never really grabbed a game by the balls when Nath is out.

Unlucky not to get the Golden Boot. At the time he was clearly the best 5/8 in the world. Since then his form has slumped. He is not bad, or even average. He is still good - but he is hardly great.

MugaB

Coach
He wouldnt be on the bench if Ivan didnt trust him. That is just positional, he is a half or fullback on the bench for injury cover, he isnt there come on and play in the middle.
Or for actual 20min stints like salmon used to, he gets basically the last 2 mins of a game

betcats

Referee
Or for actual 20min stints like salmon used to, he gets basically the last 2 mins of a game

DOnt really see how that applies to Laurie sorry mate. Salmon consitently played edge for us, he has been starting at 13 for the dogs hasnt he? You only need to look at Laurie to see he isnt going to get those type of minitues off the bench he is to small for that.

Latest posts