What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

taste2taste

Juniors
No that’s not what I said.

I said his Japanese stint would give a better grounding than what RTS got.

Still lots of other things have to go right to make the squad, let alone win a starting spot.
Japan or France is definitely the best way to learn Union if Manu is serious about being an All Black.

The last thing Manu needs is to be thrown to the wolves like Benji and RTS.

If you listen to the Levels podcast they'll swear blind they've had private conversations with current All Blacks who have said Benji and RTS were set up to fail by the those in Union that want to see league stick in its lane...yeah yeah, I know a conspiracy theory but it's got merit.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
The rort is the chooks would be getting a 1m player for 500k.
In the the second half of the season. Clubs aren't going to lose their best players for half the season in a convoluted cap rort.

Although tbh I don't think players should be prorated in mid season switches so I kind of agree.

Wb1234

Referee
Japan or France is definitely the best way to learn Union if Manu is serious about being an All Black.

If you listen to the Levels podcast they'll swear blind they've had private conversations with current All Blacks who have said Benji and RTS were set up to fail by the those in Union that want to see league stick in its lane...yeah yeah, I know a conspiracy theory but it's got merit.
100 percent believe that

Yea I saw that podcast. Didn’t make a lot of sense to me though because the people who could’ve done something like all had a vested interest in both guys succeeding.

Whether it’s the administrators who signed them for whatever money it cost, and would’ve wanted to attract more big name converts even if it was just to ‘stick to the other code’, or the coaches who selected them to play and needed them do a job if they wanted their teams to win, and therefore keep their jobs.

I think mistakes were definitely made in how they were assimilated into the game. Absolutely no doubting that. And there were definitely people watching from the outside who wanted them to fail. No doubting that either.

But as far as a deliberate conspiracy by people actually involved in their development? I think someone is drawing a very very long bow there.

It will be a slow build for Joey Manu.
Hope so. As in I hope Hansen and Foster take it slow and don’t rush him. He’s got the goods to be a weapon in RU just as he is in RL if developed right.

He’s already off to a better start than both Benji and RTS by going to Japan first and also jumping a year earlier, if the next RWC is his target. So he has time.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Thank terry hill for that

If it wasn't Terry Hill, someone else might've challenged it. I do think every time there was a salary cap scandal, there could've been an opportunity to review or reform the system.

Example, if the NRL reformed the salary cap after the Canterbury debacle, then the Melbourne Storm fiasco may not have occurred. The cap doesn't do enough for long term players.

taste2taste

Juniors

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's 45mil AUD combined losses.

How does English rugby Union survive with every club in the red ?

I know they've reduced thier salary cap ( and Semi 'you can count on me when the chips are down' Radrada went running straight to France ) but they'd need to do more than that ?
Owners and loans. Those level losses can only be covered for so long though as we are now seeing.
Its amazing SL is still going reasonably ok given they have had their tv money slashed 50% in last decade.

Wb1234

Referee
If it wasn't Terry Hill, someone else might've challenged it. I do think every time there was a salary cap scandal, there could've been an opportunity to review or reform the system.

Example, if the NRL reformed the salary cap after the Canterbury debacle, then the Melbourne Storm fiasco may not have occurred. The cap doesn't do enough for long term players.
Draf
That's 45mil AUD combined losses.

How does English rugby Union survive with every club in the red ?

I know they've reduced thier salary cap ( and Semi 'you can count on me when the chips are down' Radrada went running straight to France ) but they'd need to do more than that ?
thats why 3 clubs died off

More will follow too

France has large losses too but the owners are covering them

French Union clubs are a heart attack away from going bust

the nrl is the only rugby comp in the world where the players wages are covered from ongoing game sourced revenue

Munky

Coach
Gents the moment we've been waiting for has arrived.

The release of the 2023 Rugby Australia financial statements.

Some highlights:

1) Revenue down $4m from the previous year. Amazing work given it was a World Cup year

2) Profit inverting from $8m in the the black to $9m in the red. Double LOL.

3) The asset deficit blowing out from $4m to $13m

4) That $13m deficit is boosted by the lease accounting. The net lease assets are $10m and not really worth shit. Actual deficit is closer $23m when removing them.

5) Feast your eyes on the pièce de résistance of this master work:

1000007110.jpg

A blow out in debt by 10m.

At the low low rate of 10.62%.

I foresee much raiding of the NRL from this well capitalised organisation.

Sauce: https://australia.rugby/about/about-us/governance

Wb1234

Referee
30 million in additional funding from world rugby union which comprises 30 percent of their total revenue
Without this emergency grant this loss approaches 40 million.