What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Live 4 confirmation

kdalymc

Bench
Is this game broken or so I just suck??? I was Broncos and could only beat Spain 12-6.
Cannot kick a long kick, and cannot make metres....
any help???

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Is this game broken or so I just suck??? I was Broncos and could only beat Spain 12-6.
any help???

Nope. It isn't just you.

Do an experiment in Career. Simulate 2 games, then play 2 games etc in that pattern. You'll inevitably see the simulated games being huge semi-realistic scorelines like 24 to 6 or 32 to 12 while the games you actually participate in, you'll be lucky not to reach full time without a soccer scoreline.

The blame lays squarely at the feet of the AI. Big Ants programmers need to be fired.

Danish

Referee
Nope. It isn't just you.

Do an experiment in Career. Simulate 2 games, then play 2 games etc in that pattern. You'll inevitably see the simulated games being huge semi-realistic scorelines like 24 to 6 or 32 to 12 while the games you actually participate in, you'll be lucky not to reach full time without a soccer scoreline.

The blame lays squarely at the feet of the AI. Big Ants programmers need to be fired.

Wouldn't that be because the simulated games assume 40 min halves, while you are more likely playing 5 mins?

The same problem occurs in games like Madden where the QB for your player controlled team will be inevitably ranked last in most stats due to all the simulated games allocated stats based on what a QB might gain in an actual full length game

Danish

Referee
any help???

Kicking definitely takes practice, but it can be done. The control for it feels weird but it actually only takes a half a second to get off a decent long kick. Bombs are another story that I haven't really managed to pull off yet. Chip and chase or grubbers are a piece of piss since they are a single button (although I find myself grubbering accidentally all the goddamned time when a player takes an intercept.

As for making metres, I can't stress enough how important the double tap tip someone gave earlier to get players to run onto passes from dummy half is i.e. hold down R or L then double tap the corresponding button for your ball runner. Completely changes the game. The 2nd thing is always use the R stick to make your player step before the line and then hold it up to drive in the tackle. If you don't do that you'll wind up getting pushed back and sat on your ass every time.

So many of the problems people understandably have with the game revolve around weird control functions which are basically completely unexplained in the game. Completely baffling why they only have 4 x tutorials, and seemingly dedicate half of them to pointless tactics (the drag tackles simply do not work, and the heat map thing would only come into play once you are good at the game).

thorson1987

Coach
After playing a few games I am enjoying it. Using the techniques danish explains helps.

A couple of things about career mode as a player.

How do you call for the ball? I'm playing as a centre and the game where I only controlled my player I only managed to touch the ball 3 times, and each of them was a scoot from dummy half.

Also in the main career HUB, why does it say censored for my name, as in "Censored has been named today for Melbourne U/20's"?

I never played RLL3 so this mode is new to me for RL games.

Storm13

Juniors
any help???

With kicking hold the L2 (PS4) button down while the ball is in the process of being passed to your play maker as you can set the placement up before you receive the ball. Once received the ball press X or O (PS4) for a punt or bomb.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Wouldn't that be because the simulated games assume 40 min halves, while you are more likely playing 5 mins?

The same problem occurs in games like Madden where the QB for your player controlled team will be inevitably ranked last in most stats due to all the simulated games allocated stats based on what a QB might gain in an actual full length game

I play 10 minute halves in game, so a 20 minute game total where at most 18 points for both sides are scored. I've never been apart of a blowout. This is playing on amateur difficulty. I would've thought the simulated matches would be under those conditions and not a real game length of 80 minutes but I guess you never know with this mob

Last edited:

Storm13

Juniors
I play 10 minute halves in game, so a 20 minute game total where at most 18 points for both sides are scored. I've never been apart of a blowout. This is playing on amateur difficulty. I would've thought the simulated matches would be under those conditions and not a real game length of 80 minutes but I guess you never know with this mob
I'm playing in the championship with seven minute halves on amateur and the AI scores are very close to the types of scores I win or lose by. 24 points after 16 rounds is the hughest score by an AI team.

Danish

Referee

I haven't managed to score more than 18 points in a game on amateur either, highest combined score I think 28 points (16-12 loss). It definitely is hard to score.

The scores in other games seem to be higher than mine, although definitely no blow outs.

Something I did notice, I think they do actually adjust the stats according to game length, as the total player metres, tries, etc all seem to be in line across the competition with what my players put up

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I haven't managed to score more than 18 points in a game on amateur either, highest combined score I think 28 points (16-12 loss). It definitely is hard to score.

The scores in other games seem to be higher than mine, although definitely no blow outs.

Something I did notice, I think they do actually adjust the stats according to game length, as the total player metres, tries, etc all seem to be in line across the competition with what my players put up

I had a 17-16 GF last night in Be a Pro, Brisbane v Melbourne. All the tries came from forcing the forwards to barge their way over the line within the 10 metres. I can't remember one occasion where a winger dived in the corner. 90% of the tries I've seen scored have been directly under or close to the posts by a forward, a hooker or a winger who just stepped through the defence after taking a bomb down the other end then sprinted away

Zoidberg

First Grade
How do you call for the ball?

Also in the main career HUB, why does it say censored for my name, as in "Censored has been named today for Melbourne U/20's"?
I had the same problem, rarely getting the ball when I played just as my player. I saw afterwards you can press triangle (on PS4) to call for the ball.
All I can assume with your name is it thinks it's too rude to use. What did you put it in as?

For me, playing as a pro, just using my player, 1st game I had on rookie difficulty, we won 110-4, my guys ran right through the line constantly, 2nd game, on next difficulty up, we lost 16-6. Bit of a difference.
Now I know how to call for the ball it may be a bit easier and less boring (hardly getting the ball and just watching).

thorson1987

Coach
I had the same problem, rarely getting the ball when I played just as my player. I saw afterwards you can press triangle (on PS4) to call for the ball.
All I can assume with your name is it thinks it's too rude to use. What did you put it in as?

For me, playing as a pro, just using my player, 1st game I had on rookie difficulty, we won 110-4, my guys ran right through the line constantly, 2nd game, on next difficulty up, we lost 16-6. Bit of a difference.
Now I know how to call for the ball it may be a bit easier and less boring (hardly getting the ball and just watching).

Thanks.

With my name I just used my real name. Comes up in the roster and team lists.

Might start a new one tonight and try and fix it

Storm13

Juniors
Just had a match against Hull KR where Justin Carney destroyed my defence for two long distance try's. Don't see to much going on with the wingers in this game but it was good to see even if I was on the receiving end.

kdalymc

Bench
so whats the best "realistic" game mode? career?
what happened to/is there a franchise mode- think it was rugby league 2 on ps2..?
career is cool, but my guy/ team/ me irl is so shit i cant see him advancing anytime soon... would rather the manager type role but play as a team in a comptetition...

thorson1987

Coach
so whats the best "realistic" game mode? career?
what happened to/is there a franchise mode- think it was rugby league 2 on ps2..?
career is cool, but my guy/ team/ me irl is so shit i cant see him advancing anytime soon... would rather the manager type role but play as a team in a comptetition...

You can do a career as a coach iirc.