What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rule Changes for 2014

magpie4ever

First Grade
Yeah probably a drop by 2 interchanges at most each year. Kasiano would suffer a heart attack.

That is my point, someone like Kasiano would need to drop 10-15kgs, or risk becoming a player replaced after 20 minutes or as a replacement player for the final 20 minutes.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Stop with the rule changes for a while. It feels like we changed a bunch of rules every offseason then when you add all the ad hoc ones as the season goes on, enough is enough. Let the game breathe for a bit. In terms of staleness and blowouts or whatever else, let players and coaches have a chance to adapt themselves.

Each and every tactic that the game has ever thought up has been met with a counter-tactic. That's part of the beauty of the game.

The only thing I'd like to see done is not a rule change but a stricter following of a rule. Clamp down on wrestling and twisting. Be less lenient onfield with it and especially be less lenient in the judiciary.

I disagree: the product is quickly becoming stale. League was invented to be a game of attrition and quickly needs to get back to that premise.

Bronco18

Juniors
That is my point, someone like Kasiano would need to drop 10-15kgs, or risk becoming a player replaced after 20 minutes or as a replacement player for the final 20 minutes.

Yeah true mate. He really is very fat - how could a starting front rower get like that and alarm bells not be ringing about how slow the game is?

Jason Maher

Immortal
They can change this bullshit rule where the video ref is not allowed to overrule the onfield ref decision on a try unless he has 100% indesputable evidence.

I have seen so many tries this year where the onfield ref has either given or not given a try and replays clearly show that to anyone who knows the rules and manner in which the rules should be administered, that the reverse decision should be applied.

But oh no, the decision can't be overruled because the evidence only supports the reversal by 98% instead of 100%.

Ridiculous rule.

What percentage threshold should the decision change from "go with the on-field call" to "overturn the on-field call"?

Nice bit of elephant hurling, by the by.

Nugget10

Juniors
How about feeding the ball into a scrum properly. Two hands on each point of the ball and releasing the ball into the centre of the scrum

Contested Scrums equals more attacking footy

Edwahu

Bench
That rule where the team at the attacking end of the field gets a scrum feed if it hits the ref. It should just be a play the ball for the team that was in possession.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
What percentage threshold should the decision change from "go with the on-field call" to "overturn the on-field call"?

Nice bit of elephant hurling, by the by.

If you can't look at a try and deduce its a try by common sense and the weight of evidence then you are an idiot, by the by.

Weight of evidence should be the rule. Whack whatever percentage you want on it. Its a simple game with simple rules that does not need to be blurred by the overinterpretation of TV land.

Have you not seen tries this year incorrectly adjudicated by this rule? If not you don't watch many games.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
How about feeding the ball into a scrum properly. Two hands on each point of the ball and releasing the ball into the centre of the scrum

I'd be happy if they started policing the backrowers locking in and staying in first.

Talanexor

Juniors
Got two changes in mind.

1 - If a player deliberately causes injury/does something illegal which causes injury (eg shoulder charge to the head), they get a week or two out of the game. I think that if you deliberately cause injury, you sit out until the player you injured returns.

Would wipe out a lot of thuggery in the game.

2 - Most penalties are due to ruck infringements and holding on too long in the tackle. And sometimes they are milked by players holding onto defenders. I would like to see the free kick removed from these sorts of penalties - just play the ball with a fresh set of six. The catch? if you're blatantly milking the penalty, refs can actually hand the ball over to the opposing team.

I think this would reduce the incentive to milk penalties.

Bronco18

Juniors

I would really like the idea of encourage attacking footy from scrums - the more ball movement the better, and it'd great fun for fans to watch back line play unfold. But I think contested scrums are behind us.... scrums were a glorious mess. Players collapsing, balls disappearing for minutes etc. It'd be worse nowadays - there are about 10 camera angles for everything and two referees. If the referees didn't pick up on something, fans would have a field day. We don't want to revert to rugby where a scrum, more often than not, would have to be reset or result in a penalty.

ucantseeme

Juniors
I like to see more tap and go penalties. But this would mean the refs have to run over and award the mark rather than slowly stroll over click their heels 3 times and then award the mark as they do now.

Maybe instead of a 50m kick off to start play the option of a pass off. SImilar to soccer where they have the corner throw in. Just thinking teams could try to regain possession like they do with a short kick off. A bit out there I know but could be fun.

dice

Juniors
why does anything have to change?

if we keep making changes every year the product wont be recognizable ..

They often change the speed of play the ball to give different teams a chance. Touch footy 2005, slowed down again 2006, sped up again with two refs in 2010, slowed it right down last couple of years.

Lucas-Con

Juniors
Leave the interchanges but allow for replacement players when an injury occurs to keep the game even 4 replacements.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
There's been no policing of penalties for not being square at marker. Farah and Luke used to draw penalties all the time by this year the refs have let it go.

If they did police that it would be a disincentive for gang tackling as well.

There'd need to be 12 months notice for interchange reduction as it affects recruitment decisions.

Tonight's game with 4 boppers occupying each bench is evidence there needs to be a reduction in interchanges.

Springs

First Grade
The constant rule changes are what's f**ked it up.

Undo shoulder charge rule, undo fighting rule, bring back pushing in scrums, force forwards to pack into scrums 8-13, force the ball to be fed in front of the front rower's feet, get rid of the video ref, get the pocket ref out of the ruck, stop the inconsistency with quick taps, get rid of wrestling and penalise voluntary tackles.

afinalsin666

First Grade
No more booing. It may hurt the delicate sensibilities of the elusive croquet playing demographic we have been trying to tap for years.

Bronco18

Juniors
There's been no policing of penalties for not being square at marker. Farah and Luke used to draw penalties all the time by this year the refs have let it go.

If they did police that it would be a disincentive for gang tackling as well.

There'd need to be 12 months notice for interchange reduction as it affects recruitment decisions.

Tonight's game with 4 boppers occupying each bench is evidence there needs to be a reduction in interchanges.

I've gotta disagree with being slack with marker penalities - I think Anderson instructed the refs to take that line so there'd be less dummy half running, which is a good move IMO.

Someone

Bench
i dont give a f**k about the shoulder charge and the fighting, just piss the wrestling off.